Start by marking “The Ghost and the Bogus Bestseller” as Want to Read:

The Ghost and the Bogus Bestseller

(Haunted Bookshop Mystery #6)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  311 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
Penelope Thornton-McClure and her bookshop's ghost-in-residence Jack Shepard are back on a new case in this delightful paranormal mystery from New York Times bestselling author Cleo Coyle.

Published September 25th 2018 by Berkley Books

Juli
I am not a patient book lover. I don't usually wait long periods of time for a new book in a series. But....there are a few favorites that I don't mind waiting on. The Haunted Bookshop Mystery series is one of those favorites. The husband and wife writing team wrote five books in this series from 2004-2009, and a sixth book was announced. I even knew the title. But.....no book. Assuming publisher/agent/contractual issues at work behind the scenes, I waited patiently. For almost 10 years.

Then....
Court
Jan 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
RRRAAAAAAARRRRGGGHH!!!! When is this book going to be available to read! I feel as if I have been waiting for THREE YEARS...oh wait, I have.

Make that TEN years!!!!

I just got this and I busted through it so fast... I have to stop and read it again!

I also have to go back and re-read the entire series because it has been so long I forgot what Pen and Jack feel like.

But it was fun. And if they make us wait another TEN FRICKING YEARS for the next book, I may claw my own eyes out.
LORI CASWELL
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Dollycas’s Thoughts

Jack and Pen fans Rejoice! This series is back with a brand new mystery! New readers Rejoice! The authors have written this mystery in a way that you can jump right in with this new mystery and feel right at home.

Penelope Thornton-McClure got more than she bargained for in her bookshop, but now that she has gotten to know Private Eye Jack Shepard she wouldn’t have it any other way. You see, Jack is a ghost from the 1940’s, killed in the shop in 1947, and he has saved her more
Kristina
The Ghost and the Bogus Bestseller by Cleo Coyle is the long anticipated sixth book in The Haunted Bookshop Mystery series. Penelope Thornton-McClure co-owns Buy the Book with her aunt, Sadie Thornton in Quindicott, Rhode Island. A nicely dressed female customer is looking for a book recommendation and Penelope directs her towards Shades of Leather, the current bestseller. After the customer looks at the author’s photograph, she gets upset and takes off with the book—without paying for it. Penel ...more
Katreader
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE GHOST AND THE BOGUS BESTSELLER by Cleo Coyle
The Sixth Haunted Bookshop Mystery

Jack Shepard, the ghost of a 1940s private detective is back on the scene. A slightly snobbish customer has fled Buy the Book, unpaid novel in hand. It's more than the theft that concerns Penelope Thornton-McClure, it's the older woman's reaction to the latest bestseller. Concerned, Pen, accompanied by Jack, tracks the woman down. What they discover is a slightly decrepit apartment, a talking bird, and a dead body.
Nancy
Jul 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a wonderful series...quick reads and the character development absolutely ROCKS!!!!!
Yvonne
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series began years ago, but the author took a few years off. Now she’s back and continuing this charming cozy mystery series. I read the first book in the series when it was originally released. I loved it, but never had a chance to read the following books. I was thrilled to see a new book being released and I jumped at the chance to review it. It’s actually the 6th book.

It features a widowed bookstore owner, Penelope Thornton-McClure, and her sidekick, Jack Shepard. Jack is a ghost. He ha
Lesa
In 2009, the fifth Haunted Bookshop mystery, The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion, came out. It was written under the name Alice Kimberly, a pseudonym also used by the authors who write as Cleo Coyle. On September 25, nine years later, the latest one in the series, The Ghost and the Bogus Bestseller by Cleo Coyle, will be released. Welcome back to Penelope Thornton-McClure and Jack Shepard.

After her husband's death, Pen and her son moved to Quindicott, Rhode Island, where she took over her aunt Sad
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Though not my first book by Cleo Coyle, this is my first in this series. I’ve already added the book one, THE GHOST AND MRS. MCLURE (written as Alice Kimberly), to my TBR.

Before getting into my review, I’d like to quickly say, I love books with short chapters, titled chapters (reminds me of my Nancy Drew days), and quotes (or other interesting information) before each chapter. This book has all three! A fun reading triad for me.

THE GHOST AND THE BOGUS BESTSELLER is a wonderfully crafted whodunn
Jessica Robbins

So I can fully admit that this was the first book in the series that I have had time to read but it was still great regardless. I did not really feel like I was missing anything as I met Pen and her ghostly partner in crime. The combination of the two flows quite smoothly with the mystery as well as the book theme as they talk back and forth working to solve the murder that the cops claim is a suicide.
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Cleo Coyle returns with their sixth book in the Haunted Bookshop Mystery series, THE GHOST AND THE BOGUS BESTSELLER. Eager fans have been anxiously awaiting this series. However, this is actually the first time I am reading this series. But as a fan of Coyle’s writing style, I found it remarkably easy to get into this series.

Penelope and Jack are back in this delightful story filled with mischief and mystery. What’s so special about their relationship is the fact that Penelope owns a bookstore a
Meg
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this long-awaited sequel to the Haunted Bookshop series. 4.5*
Mary Brown
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis:

A big bestseller leads to small town trouble.

Bookshop owner Penelope Thornton-McClure didn't believe in ghosts, until she was haunted by the hard-boiled spirit of 1940s private investigator Jack Shepard. Now Jack is back on the job, and Pen is eternally grateful...

After an elegant new customer has a b
Deirdre Metcalf
This was a fun enjoyable mystery. In this book we follow Penelope who is a widowed mother and co-owns a bookstore with her aunt. She also works with the ghost of a private detective, Jack, who was killed on the premises in the 1940's. As the book starts, Penelope is helping a customer who becomes extremely distressed when she notices the author cover photo on a brand new bestseller. The customer claims that the photo is of her and runs out of the store. Pen and Jack decide to try and find the cu ...more
Annette
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is so good to have this series back. I Loved this latest installment.
Toni  (T.C.) LoTempio
A charming series. Think the Ghost and Mrs. Muir meets the Big Sleep. good concept of the spirit of the 1940's gumshoe and the lovely modern day bookseller joining forces to solve mysteries - although at times I did find the back and forth in Pen's head a bit annoying, I still enjoyed the book and will most likely read the others in this series. Myfavorite is still the CoffeeShop Mysteries, though. :)
Linda
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bingo, challenge
Jack is back!!! This book was well worth the wait. The mystery was good with lots of twists and turns that kept me guessing right up until the end (I think I figured it out about a chapter before Pen). Jack is by far my favorite ghost and I love his relationship with Pen and that he is able to use his past cases to help her in the present. I'm so glad there is another book planned.
Nancy Bradford
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in this series. Will say the ending took me by surprise.
JoAnn77PL

ISNB#9780425237458
Coffeehousemystery.com

Synopsis:

A big bestseller leads to small town trouble.

Bookshop owner Penelope Thornton-McClure didn’t believe in ghosts, until she was haunted by the hard-boiled spirit of 1940s private investigator Jack Shepard. Now Jack is back on the job, and Pen is eternally grateful…

After an elegant new customer has a breakdown in her shop, Penelope suspe
Diane Hernandez
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
“Your eyes are bigger than a hooch hound at a hop joint” says Jack in the Ghost and the Bogus Bestseller. That perfectly describes my feelings when I saw this delightful series return after a ten year long Big Sleep.

Penelope runs a bookstore with her aunt Sadie in Quindicott, Rhode Island. A widow, after her husband’s suicide, Penelope returns to her hometown with her eleven year old son. While renovating the bookstore, she disturbs Jack, the ghost of a 1940s hard-boiled detective. Jack offers P
Babs
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ten years we all waited for the next book and you will not be let down. It was worth the wait.

Loved the book. I have been waiting for a long time to read about what antics Pen and Jack get into. When   Emma comes into the store and see the cover of a book she goes off the deep end. She almost runs over someone in the street and then commits sucide? Pen knows there is somehting upand with Jack's help she will find out what is going on.

Then we have Amy who is a guest of Spencers. Will we ever hear
April Schilling
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! I have been a fan of this series since my husband showed me the first book and said "Look at the title on this one, sounds right up your alley." Since then, I have made sure to buy the books as soon as they came out. Then, this sixth book was announced with no release date. Undeterred, I waited. And waited. It's been 9-ish years that I've waited and boy was I thrilled when I got the chance to pre-order this book. It was on my doorstep this afternoon and I could not stop reading ...more
Terry Ambrose
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who would have thought a dead gumshoe could be so much fun? Right from the beginning, the presence of a stereotypical 1930s private detective thrown into a modern world comes through loud and clear. This mystery is all about keeping things light. The dialogue between the protagonists comes through as a relationship between two people with a genuine attraction to each other.

The story moves along briskly, thanks to the banter between the two main characters. There are enough twists and turns to ke
Kellene
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I probably wouldn't have given it 5 stars if I hadn't been waiting for forever to read this, but oh my gosh, it really was great. Yes, I had missed Jack and Pen so much, and it was great to be in their world again, and all of the other characters were their usual wonderful selves as well. The mystery itself was great, and I thoroughly enjoyed guessing my way through it. I would have gotten through faster, but I was enjoying the read too much to rush. I didn't have the solution figured out unt ...more
Marie McNary
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unlike any other cozy I have read. A ghost / “alter ego” for the protagonist who helps solve the mystery? How unique. Jack and Penn are so different, yet compliment each other well. Like french fries and a chocolate milk shake. Penn is a mother and I appreciate her relationship with her son throughout the book. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. An entertaining read!

Read my complete review here: https://cozyexperience.com/the-ghost-...
Christine
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been waiting for this book for a while . Jack and Pen are finally back. I love when Jack and Pen team up together . One of pen's customers has a break down in her store. When she goes to check on her she finds her dead . With Jack helping her they set out to prove that it wasn't suicide but murder.

I have missed these characters so much. There were many plot twists and I didn't figure out the mystery until the very end. Awesome book.
Robyn
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack and Penelope are back, and I couldn't be happier! I've read every book in this series, waited a very long time for this book to come out, and I was not disappointed. Penelope is a strong woman who has the love and support of family and friends. I love the relationship between Penelope, and Jack, her "spirited" private eye. Penelope is the only one who can communicate with Jack, and he helps her to solve crimes, that she inadvertently gets involved in, by giving suggestions and clues of case ...more
Debbie
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been far too long since I read a Haunted Bookshop story and it was worth the wait. Not only got a crackerjack mystery, but had a chance to join Pen in joining Jack in his world and solving a case or two. Very much a favorite series and hope it won't take so long for another story to take us back into another adventure with Jack and Pen.
Trish
Woohoo. This is finally out. It must be eight years or something I've been waiting for it.
Is this book really out? 17 53 Aug 11, 2018 10:38AM
  • In Charm's Way (A Bewitching Mystery, #8)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Lost Prince (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #18)
  • Hex on the Ex (A Mind for Murder, #3)
  • Copycat Killing (A Magical Cats Mystery, #3)
  • Old Haunts (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #3)
  • A Brew to a Kill (Coffeehouse Mystery, #11)
  • A Novel Way to Die (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • Tulle Death Do Us Part (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #6)
  • Brush With Death (An Art Lover's Mystery, #3)
  • Spells and Scones (A Magical Bakery Mystery, #6)
  • Buried in a Book (Novel Idea, #1)
  • Trouble in the Tarot (A Fortune Teller Mystery #3)
Cleo Coyle is the New York Times bestselling pseudonym for Alice Alfonsi, writing in collaboration with her husband, Marc Cerasini. As Cleo Coyle, they've written 17 Coffeehouse Mystery titles for Penguin RH, including their latest, SHOT IN THE DARK, which was awarded a Starred Review by Library Journal and chosen as its MYSTERY PICK OF THE MONTH. Last year's bestseller, DEAD COLD BREW, now in pap ...more

Haunted Bookshop Mystery (6 books)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. McClure (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #1)
  • The Ghost and the Dead Deb (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #2)
  • The Ghost and the Dead Man's Library (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #3)
  • The Ghost and the Femme Fatale (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #4)
  • The Ghost and the Haunted Mansion (Haunted Bookshop Mystery, #5)
“Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip. —Will Rogers” 0 likes