Start by marking “A Time of Blood (Of Blood and Bone, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Time of Blood (Of Blood and Bone, #2)

(Of Blood and Bone #2)

Defy the darkness. Defend the light.

Drem and his friends flee the battle at Starstone Lake to warn the Order of the Bright Star. They’ve witnessed horrors they’ll never forget, such as magic warping men into beasts. But worst of all, they’ve seen a demon rise from the dead – making it even more powerful. Now Fritha, the demons’ high priestess, is hunting Drem’s party.

Conce
Published April 18th 2019 by Pan Macmillan (first published April 16th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about A Time of Blood, please sign up.
John Gwynne Hi Alex, great to hear from you.
There will be three books in the Of Blood and Bone series:
A Time of Dread
A Time of Courage.
Hope that …more
Hi Alex, great to hear from you.
There will be three books in the Of Blood and Bone series:
A Time of Dread
A Time of Courage.
Hope that helps.
Best,
John(less)

Start your review of A Time of Blood (Of Blood and Bone, #2)
Petrik
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: TFatF & epic fantasy fans
ARC provided by the publisher—Pan Macmillan— in exchange for an honest review.

A Time of Blood earned my absolutely undying praise for its impeccable, top-notch quality.

Currently, there are only three fantasy authors in the world who can compel me to drop every book in my reading plan and start their newest published work instead; John Gwynne is one of them. There will never be a shortage of praises I can give towards Gwynne’s books. I’m serious, I have insanely high expectations towards his book
John Gwynne
Dec 01, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
A Time of Blood has hit 1000 ratings! Thanks to all of the warband who continue the story with Drem, Riv, Bleda and the others.

A Time of Courage is set for next Spring...

TRUTH AND COURAGE
Mark Lawrence
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From a short distance this book looks like one long fight scene, which isn't a bad thing as Gwynne writes very good fight scenes, all the way from duels through skirmishes to pitched battles.

There are, however, a good number of pauses in which more character is built, and in which the plot is thickened and stirred.

A significant part of the book is also the literary equivalent of setting out your soldiers, something I used to do a lot as a little boy, arranging my armies of Airfix troops against
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I have a tendency to use this gif a lot for my books because it says it all about how I feel 😉

BLOODY HELL!! This book freaking rocked! Of course I knew it would!!

There are so many people and things and animals I loved in this book!

Drem
Flick
Riv
Bleda

There are many more!

Oh, that ending!! I’m worried for everyone. 😫 But I cant wait for the next book!! 🤔😉

Eh, here’s some pics and stuff.

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
James Tivendale
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, freecopy
I received an uncorrected proof copy of A Time of Blood in exchange for an honest review. I would like to thank John Gwynne and Pan Macmillian for the opportunity. This review will contain spoilers for A Time of Dread.

The second entry in the Of Blood and Bone trilogy starts one day after the legendary giant Sig's last stand against the Kadoshim forces. Her heroism granted her comrades enough time to escape and we pick up the action with Drem, Cullen and Keld. In the wake of the destruction and t
Emma
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Following on from the catastrophic finale of A Time of Dread, this is a high action, high tension blinder of a read. When you pick it up that first time be prepared not to put it down till the last page. It follows standard film sequel rules: bigger, bolder, bloodier. There are all kinds of monstrous creatures chucked in, perhaps running a little too far with it at times… I’m looking at you Ulf and crew. Still, it makes for some seriously incredible scenes, cinematic and deadly. Even with all th ...more
Sebastien Castell
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
A Time of Blood is the second book in John Gwynne's new fantasy epic of warring angelic beings, their demonic nemeses, and, most of all, the people caught in the middle. It's a tale of good versus evil, but not the kind I was expecting, which is why this book is so damned good.

The very idea of good versus evil strikes me as one of the most pernicious notions ever devised by human beings. It lets us burn a brand into the very soul of those we dislike and gives us the moral freedom to use whatever
Celeste
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
You can find this review and more at Novel Notions.

I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher (Orbit) in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Oh man. I wish time travel was a thing so I could dart into the future and get my hands on the last book of this trilogy. I need the final installment immediately.

I absolutely adore
Nils | nilsreviewsit
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘“We live our lives by Truth and Courage. Love and loyalty, friendship and honour are our guiding lights.”’
~
John Gwynne must be a sorcerer because A Time of Blood is one hell of a monumental book. This sequel leaps straight into the action, and begins directly after the climax of the first book, A Time of Dread. Immediately there is plenty of tension and some more bloody and amazing battles which continue throughout. I was literally glued to this book and didn’t want it to end. All I want to do
Will.J.R. Gwynne
A Time of Blood paperback is out today!

A Time of Blood

A Time of Blood comes out today in the UK and has already been published in North America a few days ago. Very proud of my father John Gwynne as another book of his is released. His 6th book in total now and nearing the end of the second series.

Each book by him just gets better and better, so if you have enjoyed any work by John Gwynne, A Time of Blood will be a pleasure as well.

So happy publication day dad, I hope everyone who reads it love
Karina Webster
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s not often that I finish a book I love and struggle to articulate why everyone else will love it too. It’s been over twelve hours since I finished this masterpiece and my prevailing thought remains ‘it’s fantastic, read it, it’s fantastic, read it’… So I will do my best to explain why you should. I’d also like to note that while there are references to events and characters in Gwynne’s The Faithful and the Fallen series, this series can be read without having read them.

A Time of Blood is the
Deborah Obida
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Better a hard truth than a kind lie.

This book picked up exactly where A time of dread ended, with Drem and friends on the run, Bleda and Riv in the woods.
I don't know how the author does it but this is his fifth book that I'm reading and I love them all. This book is diverse and the fight scenes were well portrayed.

“A person is made by their heart and their wits.” He touched his one hand to his chest and then to his temple. “And by the deeds that they do. Their choices. Not whether they h
Samir
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My plan for today was to squeeze in a couple of pages after work. Well, as it turned out, I squeezed in about three hundred. It's midnight. My eyes are tired and sore. It was totally worth it.
Nick Borrelli
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let me preface this review by stating that I have never given a John Gwynne book anything less than five stars. If you are doing the math, that's five books in total that all were pretty damn perfect in my opinion. Along with Tad Williams and Robin Hobb, Gwynne is one of the very few authors who literally makes me block out any outside stimuli when I'm reading one of his books, I'm that focused on them. His preceding series The Faithful and the Fallen is in my top 10 fantasy series of all-time a ...more
TS Chan
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

A fantastic sequel in the Of Blood and Bone trilogy, A Time of Blood is yet another testament to John Gwynne's extraordinary ability to write incredible stories.

The tone and direction of the narrative stayed true to Gwynne's approach of escalating the stakes, and ratcheting the tension to a penultimate cliffhanger ending that makes one go "Why are you doing this to me?"

One thing I have to note is that I enjoyed A Time of Dread just a bit more and now I realised that it has a lot to d
FanFiAddict
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: ★★★★★

Synopsis

Defy the darkness. Defend the light.

Concealed in Forn Forest, Riv struggles to understand her half-breed heritage. She represents the warrior ang
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Dark blood drank he, from the demon welling."
The Volsung Saga

Superlative fantasy!

I cannot even begin to express my sheer excitement whenever I get the chance to read a book by John Gwynne. He is one of the few authors that I have read, who are an automatic buy for me on day one. Limited edition? Signed copy? Hello Splurgeville. Groceries?
Pffft. Who needs ‘em.

His debut series, The Faithful and the Fallen, is on my all time favourites list and when I heard he was writing a new series in
Robin (Bridge Four)
A Time of Blood is aptly named. There are great moments of triumph but there are also some heavy losses taken in this book as well. Deceptions, alliances and betrayals, along with a great rising of Kadoshim against the Ben-Elim and the land of the faithful.

I’ve found that in fantasy some of the best I’ve read have been because the author, through multiple PoVs is able to give you both sides of the story. John Gwynne does this easily by having multiple people relaying the story through their eyes
James Islington
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent heroic fantasy – I really enjoyed A Time of Dread, but I think this book was even better. With the main characters already established, the story moves along at a terrific pace, with plenty of tension and rousing action to propel things forward. Character and plot development doesn’t fall by the wayside amidst it all, though, and by the end, everything’s set up beautifully for the final book.

I still have The Faithful and the Fallen, which is the precursor series to this one, sitting on
Mili
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-the-book
Fantastic sequel! Cullen and Drem are my favouritesss. Love their interaction and their personalities. I really enjoyed the intense moments in this book like my intense hate towards Kol 😂. But also the moments of struggle/ fighting and surviving! And the shady forests 😍 with its creatures. The focus on animal companions is Gwynne his thing and I love it too 🤗.
The book ends with a fitting cliffhanger. Can't believe we are back to A Time of Waiting 😂😭.
'Every defeat is a lesson learned.'
Wol
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, I haven't smoked in over a decade, but I could use a cigarette. Bloody good stuff. Review soon.
Audrey
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Time of blood is an explosive and mighty sequel to Time of dread.

The events take place one month after the events of the first book. And even though little time had passed everything had changed for all the characters.

Riv , Bleda and Drem have mentally matured because of hardships. They must all learn to live with their past, their duty and some buried truths.
The banished lands are on the brink of war and blood feuds are still fresh between the allies.
Did their division may ring the bell of t
Caitlin
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Time of Blood is the second in the new series from John Gwynne. It picks up where the last left off, and let me tell you, it was SO great to be back in this world with these characters. Gwynne has not let me down yet, in all the years I've been reading his books, and I doubt he ever will.

This book was amazing! The character development that continued from the last, it's so easy to really feel like you know everyone in the book. The tension surrounding them throughout the story just mounts as
Marielle
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-own, signed
The title sums it up pretty well, blood is being spilled throughout the book and I loved it!
John Gwynne can write about battles in a way that I see them in my minds eye and I can actually follow what is happening!
Another fantastic book, can't wait for A Time Of Courage...
 Charlie - A Reading Machine
Lets get the gushing out of the way first because it’s a bit embarrassing. I love Gwynne’s writing so much. The story and the characters remind me of the first books that I read that got me hooked on epic fantasy those classic stories of the light verses the dark. I sill love and often recommend my earlier reads like Gemmell, Crichton, Feist, Wurts and so many others but if I was speaking to a fantasy virgin this is the author and series I would recommend, 100% certain it would make them a fan f ...more
Claudia
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Damn, this was bloody indeed. And if this one was that fast paced, I wonder how the last one will be.

This second volume is more like a prelude for the final battle to come, which I dread how dire will be. Gulla and his army are something to give you nightmares; Fritha… I don’t know if I should hate her or pity her. (view spoiler)

On the other hand, I would have liked that Drem should have spent more time in Dun Seren and learn
Maja Ingrid
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-faves, fantasy
The dead tell no lies

5 STARS

It feeels sooooo good being back in the Banished Lands!

My first reaction at reading the acknowledgement in the beginning, how John says Just How Suiting The Title Is For The Book, was: “John you’re a fucking sadist, I’m scared but also thirsty for blood LET’S DO THIIIIIIIS”

(Dad called me earlier today to join him for a walk and I complained he stopped me at the end of the book and there was a battle and people there would be blood and very likely dead characters and
Michael
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of dark fantasy.
Recommended to Michael by: I did. He needs no recommendation for me.
I'm going to start off by saying well done John Gwynne! You've done it again! 5-stars.

Now, I've promised not to give anything away about the plot and I'll stand by that decision. Some years ago I was going through a pretty serious reading slump. I had finished reading all of the available books by David Eddings and by my then favourite author David Gemmell.

I had tried a few books during that slump but had given up. Then I found a copy of Malice (Gwynne's 1st book) in a local charity shop. I had
Kim
I always say I wonder what happens next when a series I LOVED ends, and this fabulous author is making me sooo happy. When it started in “A Time Of Dread” I thought Woohoo back in the Banished lands for some more angst and agony! I know people say you can read the two separate series out of order (I totally wouldn’t be able too, I would go straight to the first book as soon as I knew I had picked up a sequel, much less a sequel series) But I just don’t think I can condone that with this series. ...more
Kayla
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kayla by: John Gwynne

HOLY SHIT THAT WAS EPIC

I wasnt sure about the first book but this second book brought me around and I'm obsessed now

I cant freaking WAIT for the third book omg
The Banished Lands: * A Time of Blood 31 81 Apr 19, 2020 09:12AM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: A Time of Blood [Mar 20, 2020] 5 16 Apr 01, 2020 06:28AM
The Banished Lands: A Time of Blood read-along 4 22 Oct 08, 2019 03:25AM

• Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
  • Priest of Lies (War for the Rose Throne, #2)
  • Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1)
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
  • Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
  • The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice, #1)
  • Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5)
  • Age of Empyre (The Legends of the First Empire, #6)
  • The Sword of Kaigen
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
  • Magebane (Age of Dread, #3)
  • Along the Razor's Edge (The War Eternal #1)
  • The Gutter Prayer (The Black Iron Legacy, #1)
  • An Echo of Things to Come (The Licanius Trilogy, #2)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
Malice is my debut novel. Goldsboro Books of London, specialists in signed first-editions, have made Malice their 'Book of the Month' for December 2012.

I was born in Singapore while my dad was stationed there in the RAF. Up until he retired that meant a lot of traveling around, generally a move every three years or so.

I live with my wife and four wonderful (and demanding) children in East Sussex.

Of Blood and Bone (3 books)
  • A Time of Dread (Of Blood and Bone, #1)
  • A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3)