Start by marking “La Disparition de Stephanie Mailer” as Want to Read:
La Disparition de Stephanie Mailer

La Disparition de Stephanie Mailer

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  19,212 ratings  ·  2,124 reviews
30 juillet 1994. Orphea, petite station balnéaire tranquille des Hamptons dans l’État de New York, est bouleversée par un effroyable fait divers: le maire de la ville et sa famille sont assassinés chez eux, ainsi qu’une passante, témoin des meurtres.
L’enquête, confiée à la police d’État, est menée par un duo de jeunes policiers, Jesse Rosenberg et Derek Scott. Ambitieux et
Paperback, Éditions de Fallois, 635 pages
Published March 7th 2018 by Editions de Fallois

·  19,212 ratings  ·  2,124 reviews

Start your review of La Disparition de Stephanie Mailer
Annet
English review & book description! New book of Joel Dicker and I love his stories. It is weird, I've seen this book in German, French, Dutch and other languages but not in English. So, here's the outline: Title: the disappearance of Stephanie Mailer. Orphea is a quiet seatown in the Hamptons, a few hours drive from New York. A small and quiet town, not much happening, until on 30 July 1994 an aweful event happens: the killing of the mayor and his family in his home, as well as a jogging woman pa ...more
Ceecee
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3-4 stars

This is a hard one to review as parts of this book are really good, parts are very slow and some sections go off on tangents that don’t add much to the storyline. The start is really good with a dramatic quadruple shooting in Orphea, a small sleepy town in The Hamptons in 1994. It’s the opening night of the Orphea theatre festival so attention is on that. This case is investigated by Jesse Rossenberg and Derek Scott of the State Police. They suspect local restaurant owner Ted Tennenbaum
Bernie
Jun 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Kat
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5*****

The Disappearance of Stephanie Mailer is an interesting mix of many characters and their stories but also gives us glimpses from famous novels in the crime solving part of the story. I enjoyed very much reading it and even though it had many pages it wasn't tiring... well mostly not tiring.
I couldn't avoid the 4.5 stars because some things didn't make sense to me and because lets say someone got away easily for his actions.
I liked the investigating trio, Anna, Jessie and Derek and th
Susan
Jun 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having enjoyed Joel Dicker’s previous novels, “The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair,” and “The Baltimore Boys,” so I was delighted to get the chance to read this. This has similarities with those previous books – all are very long, for one thing, and tend to meander through the storyline, with a wealth of characters. I like his books very much, but, much like Donna Tartt, you will either find them glorious, or frustrating. If, therefore, you have tried one of this author’s books before and n ...more
Martha Roca
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Total deception. After Henry Quebert, that was one of my favourite books ever, I waited for something good. This book is bad. A pity. I expected more from Joel Dicker.
Leah
Dec 25, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, crime, abandoned
I'm abandoning this one at around the 10% mark. Multiple narrators, all indistinguishable from one another; jumping back and forwards in time; messy writing, such as having a first-person narrator knowing what other characters are thinking, and what they did when not in the presence of the narrator. Frankly, I find it almost unreadably bad - all style over substance, and unfortunately not even good style. And it's hundreds of pages too long - where was the editor? ...more
Irène
May 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
I've finished «La Disparition de Stéphanie Mailer» by Joël Dicker 2 days ago. Overall, I enjoyed my time reading it, it made me want to read thrillers again! It’s a complex story with a lot of twists, suspense, and questions. I liked the flashbacks that gave us context and explanations for some events. Flashbacks bothered some reader but for me, it’s a win! I always enjoyed that kind of writing for a thriller! I can’t explain too much because I don’t want to spoil you, guys!

The characters are w
Katerina  Kondrenko
9 out of 10

A bit tired of writing & writer's motive is in this book too, it gets old, Mr. Dicker. But the story itself was complex and entangled enough to like. Lives, deaths, all that jazz. Four people were murdered 20 years ago. Four people will be murdered now. How? Why? Read it to know)
Tanja Berg
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mystery
The journalist Stephanie Mailer disappears after she has been asking about the 20-year old, resolved, massacre of a family and an innocent bystander. The family belonged to the mayor of Orphea. The police men who wrapped up the case have to consider whether their perpetrator wasn’t really the one.

This is an incredibly well plotted crime novel with a large cast of characters of which many get to share their point of view. There are subplots and detours galore. There are several timelines and for
Louise Wilson
Stephanie Mailer is a journalist. She disappears after asking questions about the massacre that of a family and an innocent bystander. The case had been resolved 20 years ago. It had been the opening night of the Orphea Theatre Festival. Jesse Rossenberg and Derek Scott had been the original State Police investigators.

This story is written with a dual timeline and it's told from multiple points of view. Thenpace is slow and ther is quite a lot of characters. There's over 600 pages in this book.
Patricio
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5
This has to be the most chaotic thriller I've ever read, and I mean CHAOTIC.
If you're a fan of stories set in small towns with a somewhat "big" cast of fucked up, chaotic (and sometimes absurd) characters, this book -- highly entertaining and unputdownable -- is definitely for you. Personally I loved the build up a lot more than the climax and resolution because it was so much fun! After the climax things got more serious and I wanted more fuckery 😂
Tannaz
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
wow! it's 2:30 AM, and I couldnt sleep till I finished the book!! ...more
Nicole
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was one hell of a journey.

It's an incredibly long and detailed book. At times, it is confusing as you are trying to solve two interrelated mysteries. But I could just about stay with it until the ending.

The ending confused the hell out of me. Part of the ending was disappointing but the very ending confused me to the point where I'm not sure what I just read.

I did enjoy this book. The mystery was good. The writing was good. The characters were engaging.

Could it have been shorter? Abs
Valentine
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
WARNING : THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS

Okay so, where do I start ? This book was huge. It was great, even if some things disturbed me. So, let's divide this review in two parts.

WHAT I LIKED :
-The plot. It was really well done, there is some suspence all along the book.
-The characters. There are a lot of them, sure, but still, I wasn't really lost, and it permits to complexify the story.
-The big plot twist. I didn't expect that AT ALL, and I was shocked lmao.
(view spoiler)
Linda (un)Conventional Bookworms
I read the French (original) version of this book, and I have enjoyed past books by Dicker more than this one.
There were more than one character that didn't really bring anything to the story, it's as if they were there just to try to complicate the plot - and that really wasn't necessary.
I was also surprised by some time-line mistakes - on the same page, first there was Monday, June 23rd, and then later, it was Monday, June 26th, for example.
The overall story was good, though, and the
Alvaro Cobian
Aug 19, 2018 rated it did not like it
In my opinion it's such a poor book. Not just by the fact that it starts with the topic of a great policeman who is going to retire and one week before he need to investigate about an old murder that he though solved 20 years ago... it's full of clichés at the same time: the sense of responsibility of a good man, who lives with the memory of he beloved girlfriend who died for what he consideres his fault... and many more.
The plot is absolutely inconsistent, there is no justification for some twi
Tere Romances Vinaixa
1,5 ★

First of all, I have nothing against Joël Dicker, I actually really liked his two books in the Marcus Goldman series.

This novel had too many characters and was too long. He doesn't need to extend the story so much, it just becomes repetitive. And also the amount of foresight he does it annoying.
Annarella
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First thing first: I liked this story and couldn't put it down reading as fast as I could.
It's an engrossing and entertaining mystery with different timelines and a huge cast of characters, each one part of a collective story and with a story of their own.
This multiple voices and timelines work well together and you are involved in their stories even if you never lose track of the main one.
The mystery is solid, full of twists and red herrings, and the solution came as a surprise.
It's a very long
Mariagiulia
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall disappointing.
I loved "The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair" and also "The Baltimore Boys" but in this case, I think that Joel Dicker missed the target.
Undoubtedly I appreciated the complexity of the story: it is not easy to keep the readers interested for 700 pages avoiding them to get lost in the dozens of characters and different situations presented. The plot was well built and till the end I kept on wondering about who could have been the murderer.
Anyway, there were many thin
Hermien
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real page turner in the beginning but the ending tended a bit towards a soap opera. Still a very entertaining and enjoyable read.
Liz Barnsley
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Disappearance of Stephanie Mailer is completely addictive and also somewhat bonkers- a mad read that keeps you enthralled throughout despite its length with a cast of quirky and eclectic characters that I won't easily forget.

A mistake made, a murderer possibly gone free. That's the central theme but really this novel is a small town character drama where said characters are completely different from each other in behaviour, attitude and levels of insanity. Yet they are all the more real for
Master Edition Strasbourg
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-20
As someone who was familiar with Dicker's work, having already read two of his novels including "La Vérité sur l'Affaire Harry Quebert", I was expecting his last novel with quite high hopes. I was unfortunately very disappointed by the plot. I can assure you that, if you have already read "la vérité sur l'affaire Harry Quebert", reading "La disparition de Stéphanie Mayer" is completely useless. The storyline is almost the same and the storytelling process, the story being told through two differ ...more
Olga Miret
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thank the publisher, Quercus Books, and NetGalley for providing me an ARC copy of this novel, which I freely chose to review.
I read and reviewed The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair almost a couple of years back (during my summer holidays. Remember those?), and I was enthralled by it, to the point where I got a couple of other books by the same author, which I intended to read. Being aware that his books are normally quite long and you need to keep your wits about you when you’re reading t
Kriste
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
La Disparition de Stephanie Mailer is the latest book by Joel Dicker that I have read. I have read by now most of his books and I really enjoyed them. I really like this one, but could not decide if I should give 3* or 4*, most likely it is 3.5* rounded. However in my opinion his best book and my favourite is La Vérité sur l'affaire Harry QuebertLa Vérité sur l'affaire Harry Quebert.
As in all previous books by Joel Dicker, I enjoyed the story line and the strong and unique characters he creates
Sarah 🐙
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Joel Dicker did it again. The Truth About the Harry Quebert Case will always be my favorite, but this one was very close. Dicker has an ability to weave a story through so many different threads, and you don’t understand the importance of every thread until you’ve reach the end and you see the big picture. I hope this make sense, but if it didn’t I’ll make this simpler: it was fricking amazing.
Namra
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: enjoyed
4.5

650 pages and not even once "I am getting bored" crossed my mind. Not even once! I was so invested in the story that taking a dinner break was frustrating for me. I even dreamt with the story 😂😂😂...not even kidding!!🙈

I am not giving 5 stars because of few points:

- I didn't really bought into the "exchange/swap murders" story (I don't know the exact English translation for this...I read in Spanish). Was a bit unrealistic

- What about Anne and Jesse?

- What about Anne's dream of having a family?

Astrid Verstraete
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: virginie
Every year, during the summer, I read Joël Dicker. Since the very first book of his that I picked up, I was hooked!

What does he best? He can make you care so much about people, he makes you want to live in those people's lives, he makes you want to crawl in the book. This book was no different if anything, it was even more engaging than the previous ones.

What is he guilty of? Clichés, let's face it, if you read one of his books, it's filled with things you've seen and read before.

What's a down
Wilson
Jul 23, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly couldn't tell whether The Disappearance of Stephanie Mailer was a parody of mystery novels or just a straight mystery novel. The book is quite poorly written, though that may be the awkward translation, but completely engaging. The twists come every five or ten pages and all of them come from nowhere, as if the author is mocking the genre, but he may not have been. I have quite a lot of time for Joël Dicker's novels, I have read three of them, while simultaneously thinking he isn't pa ...more
Miriam
Somehow a 'whodunnit', somehow a portrayal of a small-town commmunity, somehow a portrayal of different characters and a study in people.
Changing perspectives and narrators, the author makes us understand not only one protagonist, but at least the three main characters looking for a solution of the old murder case from 20 years ago, if not more. This way of telling the story also keeps you interested and invested in the story and the characters.
Even though I suspected who did it, it did not be
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• La verdad sobre el caso Harry Quebert de Joël Dicker (Guía de lectura): Resumen y análisis completo
  • Reina roja (Antonia Scott, #1)
  • La novia gitana (Elena Blanco, #1)
  • El Libro de los Baltimore de Joël Dicker (Guía de lectura): Resumen y análisis completo
  • La chica de nieve
  • El día que se perdió la cordura
  • La Red Púrpura (Elena Blanco, #2)
  • Loba negra (Antonia Scott, #2)
  • Rey blanco (Antonia Scott #3)
  • La nena (Elena Blanco, #3)
  • Todo lo que sucedió con Miranda Huff
  • Los señores del tiempo (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca, #3)
  • El silencio de la ciudad blanca (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca, #1)
  • Los ritos del agua (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca, #2)
  • El día que se perdió el amor
  • El guardián invisible (Trilogía del Baztán #1)
  • Patria
  • La cara norte del corazón
Joël Dicker was born in 1985 in Geneva, Switzerland, where he studied law. He spent childhood summers in New England, particularly in Stonington and Bar Harbor, Maine. The Truth About the Harry Quebert Affair won three French literary prizes, including the Grand Prix du Roman from the Académie Française, and was a finalist for the Prix Goncourt. Dicker lives in Geneva.