Start by marking “Teaching Ben” as Want to Read:
Teaching Ben

Teaching Ben

Learning to love means a study in patience.

Fresh out of the military, Ben Cooper is ready for a new start. He’s away from his domineering father, making his own choices… and out of the closet. On his first day of college, he meets David Powell, who’s just the kind of gorgeous man Ben’s dreamed of. Too bad he’s the teaching assistant—which makes him off-limits in Ben’s eyes
ebook, Dreamspun Desires #52, 209 pages
Published February 20th 2018 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Teaching Ben, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching Ben

Serena Yates
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay, read-2018
“A study in patience” is the perfect way to describe this slow-burn romance between two men in their midtwenties. Caught in a situation where they want to avoid even the appearance of being more than friends, even though there are no “rules” that tell them to do so, Ben and David have to figure out how to deal with their feelings. An attack from another student, David’s turbulent past, and Ben’s inexperience with having any sort of relationship, never mind an open one, are all obstacles they fac ...more
Sara
3 Hearts

This was cute but it didn’t really do much for me.

I’ll keep this short.

I liked the idea of student Ben falling for “teacher” David and the beginning with their flirting was super cute. It was even great seeing them become friends and David folding Ben into his family even if was just with his sister and roommate Hope for the time being.

But what bugged me was the reasons these two stayed away from each other for so long. I get that both men have had issues in their past but to keep bea
Karen
3.5 stars rounded down because still no 1/2 stars here on GR and this one didn't quite make it to rounding up territory...but still a worthwhile story.

The romance begins when the semester ends...

Ben Miller and David Powell may be the same age but they've lead very different lives... ironically, Ben's spent the past few years in the military as a way to escape his overbearing father and earn his freedom to discover and be the person he wants to be.

David comes from a life of privilege and ultima
Sandra
3.5 stars.

Ben Cooper put in his time with the military, but at 24 is now looking for a fresh start, using his GI bill to attend college in Savannah, GA. And finally step out of the closet.

David Powell is a TA in Ben's class, same age as Ben, but obviously off-limits due to his status. David also had some struggles in his past, but has tried hard to stay away from temptation and stay the course.

The attraction is immediate, but neither can act on it, thus there is lots of UST in this book, and t
Joyfully Jay
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sammy
Updated for audiobook review:
Read Veronica’s review in its entirety here.

A Joyfully Jay review.

Shae Connor offers up a slow burn of a romance in her latest release, Teaching Ben. While both David and Ben have great appeal and their burgeoning relationship was sweet and tantalizing, there were some decided problems with this story that left me more than a bit befuddled. I am unsure as to why the author chose to introduce a rather smarmy character named Larry who apparently had interest
Ami

Ben Cooper is out of the military after six years of service, also out of the clutch of his domineering father. Now, Ben’s pursuing his education at Savannah University. But on the first day of his Introduction to Mass Communications class, he held eyes with David Powell, the teaching assistant. Starting any romantic relationship with David is a bad, BAD idea right? Well, nobody says that they cannot be friends first…

What I liked about this is that despite their mutual attraction, neith
Heather Martin
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
**Copy provided to Bayou Book Junkie by DreamSpinner Press for my reading pleasure in hopes of an unbiased opinion, a review was not a requirement.**

Ben has finally come to the point in his life where he gets to find out who he is. He grew up in a military household, was forced to join the military and stayed in the closet through his six years of service. Now at 24 he’s attending college and living life for himself. The TA for his class, David, catches his attention but Ben doesn’t want to take
Chris, the Dalek King
This wasn't bad, just not the best I've read from this author.

I really liked the chemistry between these two guys, and how holding back for the whole semester made the tension ramp up over the course of the book. And I really like that they stuck to their guns about the whole no-relationship thing. A lot of the time when characters say that in stories they last like two weeks. I find it really annoying.

I do think the whole Larry thing was a bit over the top. It also seemed to be building up to
Ali
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words Review An Alisa Review:

Rating: 4 stars out of 5

I enjoyed the nice slow burn of this story. Ben and David are attracted to each other from the start but know that they need to keep their building emotions to themselves until after the semester is over.

David made some mistakes in the past and he is continuing to accept that he doesn’t need to be punished for those forever. Ben is finally away from his father and the military, getting to live his life on his own
Fiona Lyle
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full review at: https://optimumm.blog/2018/02/21/revi...

I don’t quite know what to say about this book except that it was a really lovely, feel-good story, which was an incredibly enjoyable read. I loved the plot and characters from the first chapter of reading and found myself thinking about the story long after I had finished the book. I’ve never read anything by this author before, so wasn’t really sure what to expect, but I can happily say that this definitely won’t be the last book I read f
Natosha Wilson
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sometimes finding the right person and hen having to wait to be with them is so much better then jumping into something right away. Becoming friends first and getting to know one another can be better gen learning to who your with while trying to navigate a relationship.

Ben is fresh out of the military and starting fresh without having to hide who he is. Finally after having a father that was former military and against him being gay and six years in the Air Force and not being true to who he re
Christi Snow
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Review:
This book is exactly what I would expect from this line of romance. It was sweet and pretty light on depth of story, but it was very well written. It was entertaining and held my interest.

In this story, David is a TA. After a rough start to his college career, he's pulled his life back together and is managing it. That is until Ben hits his class and for the first time, David finds himself tempting to get a little wild again.

Ben has had a rough life all the way around. He joined the
Morgan  Skye
I just couldn’t get into this book. (The narrator didn't do much to change this opinion, unfortunately. Sometimes a great narrator can really pull you into a book... but not this time.)

I wasn’t every really captured by the “romance” though the set up seemed “ripe” for a perfect hidden romance or slow burn. I guess I didn’t want everyone to make such “good choices” and “do the right thing”. (I admit this could totally be influenced by current mood - so be warned.)

In any case, it’s not a bad story
Terri Jones
Mar 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I suspect many readers will give this one four stars, and it's not unwarranted. I did love the slow burn romance, and the characters. It was refreshing to read a veteran who didn't exit the service damaged, and a man who needs AA but isn't sorely tempted to relapse. And I always enjoy the need family/got nosy family dynamic! That was awesome. But for me, some parts were boring.

I read at least eight books at a time. There is always in-progress competition for my reading attention. I kept reading
Morgan  Skye
Mar 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, reviewed
I just couldn’t get into this book.

In any case, it’s not a bad story and the writing is good, it just wasn’t something that pinged on my radar. Maybe too tame? Anyhow…

3 of 5 stars
cat reads
Nov 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Maybe I'll try again at some point, but this was just so dull. The author is in love with 'banter' between David and his sister, but just... no. sigh. Just no. Not bad or offensive, but just incredibly boring.
Katy Beth Mckee
Ben and David have both had to reinvent themselves and move their lives forward. They hit it off right away. But both are cautious for their own reasons. David has a wonderful family. Ben is learning to make family. They are on their way to something special.
Robert Helms
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5⭐. ...more
Mrsgeo
Mar 24, 2018
Love Bytes Reviews
4,5 heart reviewed by Cindy

I’ve been a big fan of Shae Connor for a long time, right from the beginning of her career, so of course I jumped at the chance to review this story and I’m so glad I did.

Ben Cooper is a man who’s moving on to the next part of his life after leaving the military and going to school is a part of that. Ben is a man whose spent most of his life having someone else make all his decisions for him but now it’s all up to him.

He’s a good man who’s finally becoming comfortable
Michael
Amina
Mar 11, 2018
Alan
Mar 09, 2018
Shae Connor lives in Atlanta, where she’s a lackadaisical government worker by day and writes sweet-hot romance under the cover of night. She’s been making things up for as long as she can remember, but it took her a while to figure out that maybe she should try writing them down.

Shae is part Jersey, part Irish, and all Southern, which explains why she never shuts up. When she’s not chained to he