Start by marking “Badger's Moon (Sister Fidelma, #13)” as Want to Read:
Badger's Moon (Sister Fidelma, #13)

Badger's Moon (Sister Fidelma #13)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  747 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
When a woman is killed just before October's full moon--the Badger's Moon--villagers suspect that strangers staying at the abbey are to blame, and demand answers, before another woman falls victim to the full-moon killer.
Published July 5th 2006 by Signet (first published September 1st 2003)

Kenny
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
#13 Goodreads? Fit? I've read a couple of these over the years, and found them to be generally enjoyable, but ultimately individually forgettable - kind of in the Cadfael mode where there didn't appear to be much character development, and everything is tied up nicely at the end of the book - and the reader just goes with it as the whodunnit is revealed.

So having checked now, I think there have been seven or eight books between the last one I read and this one - and nothing beyond an off-page ba
Marfita
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: period-mystery
Fidelma has had her baby between books (phew!) but Eadulf is worried she has postpartum depression and is trying to get her to take St. John's Wort. Yeah, throw in some willow bark while you're at it.
Young women are being killed in what appears to be a full moon ritual. The chieftain of the area has sent for someone to investigate, as his usual brehon has dropped dead. His people demand justice, blaming strangers who are staying at the Abbey. Because they're strangers. And they look different.
Marty
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amanda
An enjoyable book, good mystery (I can never figure out whodunit though). Its a place and period of time I'm not familiar with and I found that fascinating. The main characters seemed a bit flat, but maybe because I'm missing some background? I've read that you should be able to read these stand alone, but I'm not convinced. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go back and start at the beginning of the series!
Ana Elena Romero
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Continúa la saga con nuevas aventuras de Fidelma y Edaulf. Tiene Tremayne una habilidad especial para ambientar magníficamente la historia.
Tramas bien desarrolladas e intriga hasta el final sin artificios y resuelta basándose en pequeños indicios que ha ido introduciendo a lo largo del relato.
Quizá, por poner un pero, se excede en explicar situaciones personales de Fidelma que,a estas alturas de la saga, ya son absolutamente conocidas por sus seguidores.
Estas últimas novelas están sólo en inglés
Laurie D'ghent
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting basis for a series, and I learned a lot. However, there was something missing, for me. I never really connected with any of the characters (though that could easily be because this is book 13). Huge kudos to the author, however, for the complete lack of swearing, sex scenes, or innuendo. Bravo!
Mike Shaughnessy
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
An entertaining read, not as good as others in the series.
Laura Edwards
Aug 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Graham
Dec 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, mystery
I've enjoyed some of Tremayne's early horror novels but this was the first Sister Fidelma story I'd tackled. For those who don't know, the Sister Fidelma books are historical murder mystery novels set in ancient Ireland.

This is a fun read. There's no faulting Tremayne's scholarly approach to the period, which is expertly researched. I like the hints of a werewolf at work before things move into a more realistic domain as we explore warring tribes, ancient gold mines and family rivalry.

The endin
Pamela Mclaren
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really interesting tale of the deaths of three young women close by a long-ago closed gold mine, all apparently during a full moon. Just before the murders started to occur, three dark-skinned religieuse show up in the area and the villager of the Abbey of Finbarr are suspicious that they had something to do with the incidents.

It is up to Fidelma, sister to one of the kings of Ireland, a religious and a law advocate, to ferret out the truth of who is guilty. And the mystery couldn't have come
Jessica
Apr 01, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jessica by: I did
Denise
Oct 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Three young girls have been brutally murdered...and all on the night of the full moon over a period of three months. Sister Fidelma and her husband, Brother Eadulf, must leave their newborn son to investigate these tragedies and find a mad killer before he/she kills again.

This story dragged and was not the best of the series so far. The author tried to throw in several loose ends (which didn't work for me). The obvious villain was not a villain (to me) and I was proved right at the climax, whic
Carmen
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Once again Peter Tremayne brings us to seventh century Ireland. Some things seem so different and some seem so similiar. Eadwulf and Fidelma are arguing over how to parent their infant son. Fidelma is experiencing post natal depression. While all this is going on, she is asked to solve three murders of young girls. Somehow she straightens out all the clues and discovers who the culprit is. It's hard not to compare our ideas of today with the ideas expressed in the book. Very entertaining.
Nina Chambers
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
# 5 in the Sister Fidelma series, well-paced mystery with wealth of historical detail about the already well-established Celtic Christian world, it's Celtic cultural references from pre- & post Christian & Roman eras & how it differed from the Roman Christian world forming & attempting reforms in the late 600's. The Brehon law of the Celtic world was way ahead of it's time & contemporaries. We're still catching up!
Beverly
Sep 02, 2010 rated it liked it
I have read only one other of the Sister Fidelma mysteries. The author is a 7th century Ireland scholar whose knowledge adds a lot to my pleasure. Fidelia is a judge in a culture which treats women with more equality than present day US. Add the mystery and it's a reading feast. The history was a big draw for me, but I would have like for it to move a little faster.
Argum
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book skips forward about 9 months from the last. Fidelma is feeling confined by her new role and so leaps at the chance to solve a mystery for a chieftain cousin. They find three teenage girls grisly murdered. As usual more is going on. Strange happenings come together confusing the puzzle.
Faye
May 22, 2013 rated it liked it
A good mystery with the requisite unexpected twists. An interesting foray into 7th century Ireland, and a peek into the "new faith" that had come into Ireland and the resulting conflicts with druid worship. Also an interesting peek at the Pope's efforts to introduce celibacy to Catholicism. Writing plodded a bit at the beginning.
Robert
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
It's always a comfort to return to the world of Sister Fidelma. This 13th mystery was very rewarding and I only guessed one of the major mystereies. Meanwhile, Fidelma's relationship with Eadulf has reached a critical stage and the next volume promises to bring more adventure and, hopefully, clarity to their tortured love.
Sunsy
Jun 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: taschenb-cher
Es gibt Autoren, die schreiben Reihen mit mehr als 20 Büchern und schwächeln hin und wieder. Und es gibt Autoren, die bleiben fast gleichmäßig herausragend. Peter Tremayne gehört mit Sicherheit zu den Letzteren.

Die volle Punktzahl hat dieses Buch von mir verdient.

Meine Rezension könnt ihr hier nachlesen: http://sunsys-blog.blogspot.de/2014/0... .
Dragonflydreamer68
This was the first fiction book of his I have read, it was not as fast paced as I would have liked. However, it was well researched and authentically written, very interesting read, even for those of you who may not be into celtic/irish history. I would especially recommend it to anyone who has a fascination with everything Irish. I will be reading more of this series in the future.
Joan Podleski
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I picked this for my Kindle without realizing it was the middle of a series. I enjoyed it so thoroughly that I'm going to go back and work my way forward from #1! If you enjoy mystery, strong female characters, all set in a Celtic setting, and some good Church history to boot, try out Sr. Fidelma.
Sandie
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well researched historical fiction. I've had a chance to explore the ruins if Ireland's ancient abbeys so can picture the actual settings of the story. I enjoyed this one a 2nd time. Would recommend it as a good read
Deb W
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fascinating in it's contextual setting -- ancient (667 AD) Ireland, making the mystery secondary (to me). Sister Fidelma of Cashel is the perfect female protagonist: smart, assertive, and compassionate. I will read more of Tremayne's work.
Pointsandwheels
Not bad. It felt a little textbook-like in places, but overall a good, solid middle-of-the-road mystery. I want to see more discussion from Fidelma and Eadulf about their feelings, though. Here's to hoping that shows up in the next book.
Patricia
Jul 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Ok, is it just me, or do these get progressively gruesome (the murders)? I liked this book. Although I wasn't certain, I suspected a person from the first meeting of him, and i was right. Maybe I need a quick break to read other things for a few days.
Jennie
Aug 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Dry, boring, repetitive (how many times can you say that Eadulf isn't a great horseman?), and also... boring. I enjoyed many other books in this series years ago, but now I can't tell if I just had bad taste or if this one is that much worse.
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Review soon @ thefaeryromanticlibrarian.blogspot.com
Feodora
The story was really okay but it has it unusable length. Normally Fidelma comes to a conclusion more stride.
Marisa
Apr 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another awesome Sister Fidelma book! I wish I had half the brains of that woman. She puts things together in such a way that the end always comes a s a surprise.
Mary Devlin
Nov 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it very much. Definitely worth reading.
  • Spy in Chancery (Hugh Corbett, #3)
  • A Secret and Unlawful Killing (Burren Mysteries, #2)
  • The Potter's Field (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #17)
  • The Witch in the Well (Catherine LeVendeur, #10)
  • The Outlaw's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #3)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
  • A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4)
Peter Berresford Ellis (born 10 March 1943) is a historian, literary biographer, and novelist who has published over 90 books to date either under his own name or his pseudonyms Peter Tremayne and Peter MacAlan. He has also published 95 short stories. His non-fiction books, articles and academic papers have made him acknowledged as an authority on Celtic history and culture. As Peter Tremayne, he ...more
More about Peter Tremayne

Sister Fidelma (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Absolution by Murder (Sister Fidelma, #1)
  • Shroud for the Archbishop (Sister Fidelma, #2)
  • Suffer Little Children (Sister Fidelma, #3)
  • The Subtle Serpent (Sister Fidelma, #4)
  • The Spider's Web (Sister Fidelma, #5)
  • Valley of the Shadow (Sister Fidelma, #6)
  • The Monk Who Vanished (Sister Fidelma, #7)
  • Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma, #8)
  • Hemlock at Vespers (Sister Fidelma, #9)
  • Our Lady Of Darkness (Sister Fidelma, #10)
“If people are forced to suppress the emotion of love for their fellow human beings then they certainly can’t have love for anything else, including God.” 0 likes