Start by marking “Blood Orange” as Want to Read:
Blood Orange

Blood Orange

An electrifying debut thriller for fans of Anatomy of a Scandal, Apple Tree Yard, and Gone Girl.

Alison has it all. A doting husband, adorable daughter, and a career on the rise - she's just been given her first murder case to defend. But all is never as it seems...

Just one more night. Then I'll end it.

Alison drinks too much. She's neglecting her family. And she's having
Published February 21st 2019 by Wildfire (first published January 10th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Orange, please sign up.
David Hall I havent finished yet, but carl's character seems to be a product of the main characters actions. they had a good relationship but there is a lot of…moreI havent finished yet, but carl's character seems to be a product of the main characters actions. they had a good relationship but there is a lot of lack of trust in that relationship... too many drunken nights, too many let downs, losing tilly in the park. I'm not excusing his behavior, but I understand his frustration... Like I said, I havent finished.(less)

Start your review of Blood Orange
Holly  B
This was one of those books that I couldn't put down because of the flow of the writing (very pacy) and the intriguing legal aspect that was blended into the ongoing domestic drama.

The protagonist was at times sympathetic and other times really frustrating (some of her unwise decisions). She is an educated woman with a career as a barrister. She has just been granted her first murder case and needs to prepare a defense.

It was unpredictable, had several moments of suspense with many darker turns
Deanna
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

3.5 Stars

I had been seeing this book everywhere and thought the synopsis sounded intriguing.

Alison seems to have it all. The perfect family and a great job. Her future is bright.

But right from the start, we see that Alison most certainly does not have it all together. She’s drinking too much, working too much and….well let’s just say she’s doing too much of almost everything. What she’s not doing is spending any time with
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Everyone wants what Alison has. A successful job as a defense attorney, a loving husband, and a precious daughter. She’s recently been assigned her first murder case. That’s all on the surface though.

The truth is Alison abuses alcohol and doesn’t spend enough time with her family. She’s also having an affair with someone who has some issues of his own.

Alison’s newest client stabbed her husband and readily admits it. She tells Alison she wants to plead guilty and get the trial behind her.

But
j e w e l s
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
FOUR STARS

I kept hearing about this book from all the cool kids on Instagram. I knew I had to read it! I'm so glad I did, I think Harriet Tyce is an author to keep your eye on if you love psychological suspense.

The first half of Blood Orange is almost perfect. The steady pace, the build up of suspense is spot on and a joy to read. Tyce goes deep when exploring the characters and you guys know how much I love writers that do that. The tone is very dark and I felt nothing but fear for Alison, our
Book of Secrets°ღ
BLOOD ORANGE is a book I discovered via my Instagram friends, and I'm so glad I moved it to the top of my TBR stack! The main character Alison is such a hot mess even though she may appear to have it all. Watching her go down a self-destructive path was not easy to read, but at the same time I could not look away. This is a complex, dark, and edgy thriller about poisonous relationships and destructive behavior. The ending was a shocker! Impressive debut from Harriet Tyce. Borrowed from the ...more
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 4.5/5 stars.

When I found out I had won a Twitter giveaway from this author's publicist I was thrilled! I have read a lot of thrillers and crime novels, in my time, despite them not being my favourite genre. For me, they provide a lighter source of relief, than my favourite classics or high fantasy, when I am poorly, sleep-deprived, anxious, or feeling any other sort of ailment. So whilst I do read the genre frequently it takes a rare novel from inside its ranks to make me want to
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
Wow!! I absolutely LOVED this book! I did NOT want to put this down.

Alison is as flawed a character as you can probably get. Successful lawyer with a husband and daughter at home - yet in an illicit affair with a man she can't stop thinking about. Her first murder case that has her on edge and wondering what her client is hiding. Soon it all starts coming down. You know what they say - when it rains, it pours... and Alison is about to get DRENCHED.

Here's the thing. I love thrillers and crime
Joanna Elm
Mar 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just don't get it. Don't get this one at all.
Alison, the protagonist is supposedly a smart barrister in London. Yet, she allows herself to be abused by her husband who calls her "skanky" and criticizes almost everything she does, including her cooking. And, just when one could sympathize/empathize with her for finding a lover, you discover he also abuses her, forcing her to have sex with him in a train bathroom where she has to get on her knees on a urine-soaked floor. Puleeeez!!!!!!
And, so
Tammy
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
I know I am in the minority here but I just don’t get it. I was determined to finish based on all the great reviews but ended up speeding the narration to help me along.

There was not one likable person in this book. The story seemed to drag, the criminal case was just okay. Imagine having an affair with someone who treats you worse than your husband? I just never connected with this book.

The last couple of chapters were everything. Not wonderful but...
Julie (JuJu)
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short summary:
An impressive debut full of shockers and suspense!

My thoughts:
This book started out great and kept my attention throughout! I really enjoyed it, but was a little disappointed at the ending. I’m not sure what I expected. Although it had a pretty big shocker at the end, part of it was a little bit of a let down...for me. Still...the book was worth reading! Full of twists and great writing. I’ll definitely read another book by this author.

What a thoroughly messed up marriage! Alison
Karen
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alison is a successful criminal law barrister who seems hell-bent on pressing that self-destruct button. Outwardly she has a home life to envy with an adorable young daughter, a husband who takes care of the house and childcare whilst she works and she has just been given her first murder case, a big step up the ladder in her career. She also has a drink problem and a lack of self-control – one drink is never enough and inevitably she ends up making a fool of herself in front of friends and ...more
Liz Barnsley
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
So TheakstonsCrime read 2 is complete.
Blood Orange is a pacy, clever and emotional psychological thriller with added legal and family drama.

Immediately compelling with a strongly divisive main protagonist you can absolutely relate to, I simply did not want to put this one down. So I didn’t.

If you love a great psychological thriller but need it to be edgy, unpredictable and beautifully written Blood Orange will be for you.
Hugely addictive with a fist pump in the air finale, I’m two for two on
Tracy Fenton
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Aaaaahhhhhhhhhh I don’t know how to write this review so it will make sense. There were so many things about this book that I really didn’t enjoy and yet so many things about this book that I was utterly gripped by and couldn’t actually turn the pages fast enough. So, I shall try to break it down and start at the beginning.

Our main protagonist is Alison – a 40-something successful female barrister with a stay-at-home husband and cute 6 year old daughter Tilly, and what appears initially to be
Tammy
May 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: release-2019
I’ve been hearing so much about this book I knew I had to pick it up. Blood Orange has definitely lived up to its hype 100% - I could not put it down. She nailed it! A fast paced thriller about Alison; wife, mother, a workaholic criminal attorney in London.. add to that an alcoholic and cheater.. I mean what could possibly go wrong, right??! E V E R Y T H I N G
I loved loved loved the surprise out of nowhere twist at the end.. shocking!!! Fabulous debut Ms. Tyce.
Bill Kupersmith
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve always loved the trappings of the English legal system, especially barristers in their gowns and wigs. Some barristers (especially those who deal in libel tourism and suits against ex-servicemen) are even sleazier than their American counterparts, but their dress and surroundings give them an aura of class. Imagine having ‘chambers’ at an ‘Inn’ which John Donne once inhabited. (Just the title, ‘An Epithalamion Made in Lincoln’s Inn’ gives me a shiver of delight.) In the case of criminal bar ...more
Fictionophile
For my complete review of "Blood Orange" visit: https://fictionophile.com

I have to say that for most of the book, Alison is NOT a very likable protagonist. Yet despite this, I found I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I guess it is the old 'train wreck' psychology. You just know that something bad has happened and you are compelled to view it for yourself despite the sure fact it will be disturbing.

Alison was a hard person to empathize with. She was a clever, attractive barrister with a
Amber Myott
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 rounded to 5 . Luckily I started this book on a Friday night because I couldn’t put it down.
Well written with just enough twists to keep me enthralled but not rolling my eyes with absurdity as some thrillers do .
Faith
I made it a third of the way though this book and gave up. Alison is a criminal lawyer who seems to spend most of her time drinking excessively and having an affair with a colleague, rather than going home to her husband and 6 year old daughter. If you want to read about her having sex in a urine splashed train bathroom go for it. I don’t care what happens in the rest of the book. The whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.
Karen’s Library
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, signed
I was browsing my favorite local bookstore, Poisoned Pen, and saw someone taking pictures of what I assumed was an author standing next to a stack of books. That author turned out to be Harriet Tyce and the books were of Blood Orange, her debut novel. Harriet was in town to do an author event that night and just happened to have stopped in to get the lay of the land.

Well, she was so lovely and absolutely delightful!! And very English! After chatting with her for a while and asking her about her
Basic B's Guide
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
All aboard the Alison HOT MESS EXPRESS!

From the beginning, Alison clearly doesn’t have her crap together. She’s a sloppy drunk, adulteress and avoidant of all family/life responsibilities. I wanted to shake or slap some sense into her and tell her “actions have consequences!” (wink wink). Oh, and don’t even get me started on the men in this story. Let’s just say my opinion of them was all over the charts. I’ll just bite my tongue here.

I will say that I did predict a bit of where this story was
Anna Luce
2.5 stars (rounded up to 3)

Blood Orange left me feeling...not much at all. It might be because of the narrative, which is propelled by a protagonist who is the embodiment of a train-wreck, or it might be because of Tyce attempting to gross readers out trough lazily nauseating scenes, but this novel just seems to hit the one note. It focuses on three or four equally frustrating characters who behave or say things that are almost excessively—if not goofilyunpleasant.
While the elements of the
Cortney LaScola - The Bookworm, Myrtle Beach
Great book by a debut author! I had a hard time putting it down. It all seemed so cut and dried at the beginning (Carl was the nice cuckolded husband and Alison was awful for cheating on him.) I was in for a lot of twists. What I really enjoyed about this book was there was more than one mystery going on within the story lines. There was the story of Alison and her marriage and affair, and then there was her client Madeline who murdered her husband.

I do have some questions/comments though...

The Book Review Café
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: legal-thriller
A disturbing story of toxic relationships, manipulation, desire and betrayal, I raced through Blood Orange by debut author Harriet Tyce. I genuinely enjoy a Psychological thriller that delves into the complexities of toxic relationships. I can genuinely say I loathed every character in this book. Alison appears to have it all, but it’s not enough, here’s a woman whose hell bent on pushing the ‘self destruct’ button.

I’m afraid I lacked empathy for Alison, mostly because of her reckless
Tripfiction
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Domestic noir set in LONDON (actions have consequences)

This novel has been on my radar since publication…. see what I thought:

Alison is a criminal barrister, married to Carl. She is struggling to keep all the plates spinning in her life and on the fringes she is also having an affair with her instructing solicitor, Patrick. It is evident that she is chaotic and the relationship with her lover and her husband serve to further undermine her. Patrick subjugates her and humiliates, often with her
Janel
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A dark and compelling exploration of the female experience, both at home and in the workplace. Flawed, realistic characters, an all round engaging read.
Myrna
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a terrific thriller. I was engaged throughout the entire story. Had some minor unanswered questions but still giving it 5 stars. Great debut novel about addiction, lies, obsession, guilt, and revenge that kept me guessing. The last chapter was a complete surprise. Great debut Harriet Tyce!
Ingstje
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Oh Alison, what a tragic and unfulfilling life you lead. Alison’s making a right mess of her life and it’s of her own doing. Should I feel compassion? I’m not going to lie, it was hard to sympathise. She’s such a strong woman and then she shows such weakness, drinking excessively and making a fool of herself time and time again. She also has an affair and the worst part is that it isn’t even with anyone nice. Patrick’s debasing treatment of her and the rough sex he forces her into, all on his ...more
Thebooktrail
Sep 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
Not one for me.

I didn't get this book at all, sorry! Hateful characters (but that's the point given the story I know) but I guess I'm just tired of stories where one of the characters drinks to oblivion and then wonders why life's not turning out that well. I should have read the blurb of course but I like surprises.

But the story soon spirals into a situation that really chews up the characters and is a very very dark place. I just wasn't that keen to go there personally. Apple Tree Yard seems
KC
Married to Carl and mother to six year-old Matilda, criminal defense barrister Alison, excessively drinks, is a hardened workaholic, engages in rough sex too frequently with a fellow colleague and struggles daily to just keep her head above water. As her world continually comes crashing down around her, she begins to uncover unsavory and quite disturbing details regarding some of the people who surround her. Blood Orange is a dark and perverted tale, filled with relentless twists and turns, ...more
Liz
Blood Orange was exactly the kind of thriller that got my heart pumping. Nearly finished the book in one sitting, too… nearly.. instead, my body knocked me to sleep with only 14 pages to the end. I was bummed, but on the bright side there was some more chilling goodness for an extra day!
Alison… So successful, yet so fucked up. In the courtroom Alison is 100% professional. Once the doors of the courtroom close behind her, she turns into a proper mess of a human. She goes out with colleagues and

• The Hunting Party
  • After the End
  • Dirty Little Secrets
  • The Silent Patient
“We don't need drink to be pleasant” 0 likes
“The affair for me was solace and escape, a relief because I was wanted and not pushed to side.” 0 likes