Jump to ratings and reviews

Marine: Halley's Casino II

Nebula Yorker ("Neb" to his friends) finds himself on the water planet of Marine in a race to recover a long lost Triopelian Star Chart he previously never knew existed.

Along the way Neb encounters new friends and a villainous brother and sister team bent on doing whatever they must to get their hands on the star chart first - including mayhem and murder.

One cocky android, one imbibed professor, one universal(ly) renowned scientist and one ice breathing sassy Water Dragon makes Neb wonder whether the past 3 years travelling with Halley's Casino was just a peaceful lull?

Who will find the star chart first?

What are the implications if Neb doesn't?

And what does a Water Moon have to do with all of this?

John Lennon seems to know....
Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Mark Jg Fahey

2 books3 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
7 (43%)
4 stars
9 (56%)
3 stars
2 stars
1 star
Displaying 1 - 13 of 13 reviews
Profile Image for Lindsay.
576 reviews21 followers
December 22, 2018
Marine takes place about three years after Neb is on Halley's Casino. This book takes you on an adventure of it own. It also talks about Neb parents home planet and more about his parents. I gives you lesson about history or at least a bit about Neb's history or his parents for that mother. There seems to be something going on that makes Neb go after a star chart.

What is this star chart and why does everyone want it. There seems to be a dragon that guarding it and only one person who is to receive it. Mark put you in the story and you go for a ride. It adventures and filled with action.

Who are friends and who are foes? What is an Air-heart? What an Ice dragon? Whatever happen to here home? What or who is a water moon? It all started on Halley's Casino when Neb see two guest acting strange. I believe Mark doe a wonderful job with this story. I can not wait to pick up the next book.
Profile Image for Meagan Myhren-Bennett.
Author 12 books22 followers
January 20, 2019
Marine
Halley's Casino #2
By Mark JG Fahey

Three years have passed since the events of Halley's Casino and Neb (aka Nebula Yorker) is enjoying his stint onboard as Mr. Tict's assistant. And his identity as a Triopelian is a closely guarded secret from all but his true friends (TeeCeeFore, Tict, Kel, Pic, and Picone) but that is all about to change when trouble comes calling.

When Tict is targeted by a pair of alien siblings who seem intent on death, destruction, and more destruction, Neb is determined to discover what they thought Tict was hiding. What Neb uncovers is that a Triopelian Star Chart is being sought, a Star Chart that was lost long ago and one that the Triopelians would have never allowed an outsider to possess. Soon Neb and friends find themselves racing to the water planet Marine hoping that they will be able to obtain the chart and return it to its rightful owners.

But there is more to Marine than first meets the eye and Neb's uniqueness may be what is needed to not only find the chart but to live to another day. But time is running short though depending where on Marine you are there is a small abnormality in just how much has passed. And then there is the legend or rumor of Airhert a being never seen but upon whom the loss of others has been blamed. Airhert is a totally enjoyable surprise as far as the new cast of characters is concerned, as is Purell an android who is a personality plus some and another welcome addition to this book.

Now there are a few interesting developments that are (one would assume) laying the groundwork for the next book in this trilogy and they are most intriguing developments. One has to wonder just what is next in store for Neb and with a name like Nebula it is sure to be spectacular.

Teens and up are sure to enjoy this one if they are fans of sci-fi with a good dash of humor flavoring it. And if you are looking for something new give this a try. Get ready for an out of this world - out of this time experience.

** As with the first book there are a few gray words/topics that sensitive readers may like to be aware of before opening the book or sharing with younger readers.

I was provided a complimentary copy of this book by the author with no expectations except that I provide my honest opinion - all thoughts expressed are my own.
Profile Image for Jeremy Gallen.
626 reviews3 followers
January 21, 2019
The second entry of author Mark J.G. Fahey’s Halley’s Casino trilogy opens with a description of the eponymous planet, Marine, and its inhabitants. In the meantime, Professor Gabriel Pheet dies whilst sucking on a radioactive battery and bequeaths his island retreat to an old scholastic friend, LeBeau. Protagonist Nebula “Neb” Yorker is on Halley’s Casino, the true identity of Halley’s Comet, with membership in the Council of U, akin to the Federation in the Star Trek media franchise, growing steadily, although Prime Minister TeeceeFore has been missing for some time.

The sequel introduces new characters such as the android Purell, not to mention the sibling antagonists Ar-Den and Ar-Dan, whom Neb suspects to be up to no good, and indeed, they seek a star chart, the primary MacGuffin of the story, at first suspecting Tict to have it. LeBeau, in the meanwhile, takes a submersible to the underwater city of Parafin, with more newcomers to the series introduced such as Devo Shog, Parafin’s Minister of Scientific Research and part-time spiritual advisor Mayor Jipgoto, with whom LeBeau watches an annual seahorse race that has occurred for over a millennium.

The remainder of the story deals with the search for the aforementioned star chart, plenty of twists abounding towards the end, which has some surprises that the third and final entry of the trilogy will undoubtedly resolve, accounting for a satisfying sequel that fans of the original book will enjoy, with plenty of humor in the spirit of Douglas Adam’s Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy franchise. There are occasional unclear points and a few odd stylistic choices the author made, although this reviewer very much takes interest in the forthcoming conclusion to the science-fiction book series.
Profile Image for Laura.
Author 1 book123 followers
February 7, 2019
Marine is the second book in the Halley's Casino trilogy. Last year, I read the first book Halley's Casino which was a fun adventure, a good mix of sci-fi, time-travel and comedy. Marine continues Nebula (Neb) Yorker's adventures three years later. Although there wasn't the element of time travel in this book it was still a quirky fun book to read.

Neb uncovers a plot of two villains who are trying to find the Star Chart. This leads Neb and his friends, both new and old, to the water planet Marine where citizens live in a bubble under the waters and where the legend of a water dragon stops most people from adventuring into the deep mountainous crevices of its waters. Neb must find that star chart before the duo villains do. I enjoyed the adventure because it was so unpredictable and imaginative. I never knew what was going to happen next!

The author has a quirky sense of humor, a wild imagination and an easy way of making the reader picture the world of Marine so clearly that I thought it would make a great movie. With its original plot, setting and adventure, Marine was a good sequel to Halley's Casino.

The only thing missing (besides the time travel element) was some backstory. Although I read the first book, it would have been good to include some history so that the references to past events would have been better understood. I kept racking my brain to remember certain events and how the reference connected to it. Overall, to enjoy Marine to its fullest, one would have to read Halley's Casino first.

This book ends with a bit of a cliffhanger. I now look forward to the last book in this trilogy because that ending sure promised more awesome space and Earth adventures for Nebula Yorker and his friends!
Profile Image for Angela Thompson.
381 reviews9 followers
January 24, 2019
Readers should expect to read this series in order. I know I am sometimes guilty of beginning a series or trilogy in the middle or even at the end--and piecing the story together until all of the books are read. While I love Fahey's writing style--he is very organized and creates a fun story from a hodgepodge of characters and events--he doesn't give readers much of the backstory from the first Halley's Casino book. I think readers would enjoy the trilogy most if the books were read back to back--without a lot of time nor other science fiction/fantasy novels between books! Additionally, this novel leaves readers hanging with loose ends--so expect to need to read the final book of the trilogy for any real closure to this novel.

Expect some twists, turns and new characters. Much like the first book, the author keeps the pace and the action moving with twists and turns--and some of the same humor and sarcasm with some new characters thrown into the mix. The author makes even the more serious themes of the book a little lighter with his character interactions and writing style.

Would I recommend Marine? I love the characters of this series--and the author's writing style and his imaginative settings. I think I enjoyed this book a little more than the first because I had already settled into the author's sense of humor and his writing style. If you enjoy lighter science fiction--with a unique mix of characters and situations--this is fun read for adults and teens alike.

I received a copy of this book from the author or publisher for use in a blog review. All opinions are my own.
Profile Image for Marilyn Wilson.
Author 3 books53 followers
January 15, 2019
Marine - book two in the Halley's Casino trilogy - opens on the watery planet of Marine following a new main character, LeBeau who is the cousin of the Prime Minister of Telvon 3, TeeceeFore. He had just inherited the estate of an old friend, Professor Gabriel Pheet. But behind the facade of heir, he was also on a second an more dangerous mission to search for a lost Triopelian Star Chart. Several factions were desperately working to be the first to find it, so danger and intrigue surrounds him.

At the same time, we continue to follow Nebula York on Halley's Casino. A deadly pair has landed there through misdirection on the part of the professor. They are determined to find the star chart first, and anyone in their path is in danger. When they discover they have been sent on a wild goose chase, they head back full speed to Marine. Nebula and a few others race there as well.

Although a little more serious this time around, Marine has that same madcap feel to it. Whether on Halley's Comet, on the surface of Marine or deep in the caves under it's ocean, the plot still unexpectedly turns left on a regular basis, continuing the amusing, madcap feel found in Halley's Casino.

A moon that rising out of the ocean, an android with an unusual sense of humour, a race evolved from tadpoles, a sentient underwater creature and of course John Lennon are just a few of the elements wound together in the plot. Marine is a fun and easy read that is sure to bring a smile.
Profile Image for Jessica Bronder.
2,013 reviews21 followers
January 30, 2019
It has been three years since we first met Neb. He has enjoyed his time at Halley’s Casino. Then his boss Tict is threatened by two alien siblings. Neb is determined to figure out what they want when he learns of a Triopelian Star Chart that was lost long ago. He finds himself on a planet called Marine in a race to get the star chart. But there is so much more to Marine than first glance and Neb just might be the only person that will be able to survive it.

I really love this series, there is so much more to it than just a scifi story. But I do want to warn you that you should read the trilogy in order. You jump right into the story with little background of Halley’s Casino. Neb is a special person but only a couple people know the truth about him. This comes into play when everyone is trying to get the Star Chart.

I love the new characters you me, especially sassy Purell. You can never have too much snark for a story like this one. I also liked learning more about Neb’s parent too. There is a lot happening but you won’t be overwhelmed trying to keep up with the story.

This is a great scifi series that will appeal to teens and up. I recommend checking it out even if you are not a scifi person, I think you will enjoy it as much as me.

I received a complimentary copy of this book. I voluntarily chose to read and post an honest review.
Profile Image for Dawn.
1,484 reviews16 followers
January 16, 2019
I chose to read this book after receiving a free e-copy. All opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased.

I had read Halley's Casino a while back so I was happy to read Marine, the second book in the Halley's Casino series. The first book was good but I enjoyed Marine quite a bit more. There was so much going on!

Neb is still on Halley's Casino and has found out there's a missing Triopelian Star Chart which he needs to find before it falls into the wrong hands, especially the dangerous duo Ar-den and Ar-dan. There are others looking for the star chart as well, including Professor Lebeau sent by Professor Pheet.

The search for the missing star chart is just one thing going on. We learn more about Neb's home planet. Plus, his parents have been living on Earth for a long time and something is going on there that Neb is going to try to figure out in the next book.

I love the characters! They're all unique in their own way.

Marine is not just science fiction. It is laugh out loud funny at times. Even when things are serious and I shouldn't be laughing, the author's sense of humor shines through. When I got to the end of the book and read those who inspire him, his sense of humor became a little clearer.
Profile Image for Lynne Page.
Author 14 books7 followers
February 25, 2019
This novel is the second in a trilogy written by a local author from my area.

If you have already followed Nebula Yorker through Halley's Casino, it's time to not only get back in touch with him in Marine, but also meet a new cast of characters that will leave you chuckling the entire read. Not only has Nebula grown as a character, but so too has the author's skills. While Halley's Casino was a fun read, Marine kept my attention and left me interested on a much higher level. I have enjoyed watching everyone grow.

Expect your attention to be in two places - on Halley's Casino and on the planet of Marine. And expect there to be lots of action, and lots of humour. And if you've been looking for the hidden rock'n'roll names, there are still more to find in this next segment. Our new cast of characters are just as interesting and unique as the last, and having the two sets of characters interact leaves me excited for the third installment in this series.

Expect this novel to end on a cliffhanger. But what good fiction doesn't do that?

If you're looking for a scifi novel with good humour that will also keep you on your toes, Marine is the book for you.
Profile Image for Debra Schoenberger.
Author 6 books81 followers
November 19, 2018
Our space opera continues with Nebula Yorker (Neb) as assistant concierge on Halley's Comet.  He's happy with his new job and has made some great friends.

Again, the author's imagination continues to astonish me.  I'm not a big scifi reader (although I'm a scifi fan) but this story is so off-the-wall and unpredictable that I can't put it down.  I love all the characters!

The plot thickens as Neb learns of a missing star chart.  Not exactly sure what the star chart is, he embarks on a recovery mission with his friends to locate it.   Villains, evil politicians and enormous sea monsters may prove his undoing!  Be prepared to scream!  (or gasp!)

Not a standalone book, you need to read Halley's Comet first to familiarize yourself with the plot and characters.  Have a wonderful trip around the universe!
Profile Image for T.A..
Author 4 books17 followers
January 21, 2019
Marine was an entertaining story filled with intrigue, action, and a fun group of characters. The author has a great imagination, and I enjoyed the comaraderie of Nebula and his friends. I look forward to the third book in the trilogy.
November 28, 2021
Great second in the trilogy of Halley's Casino books. Action abound in this science fiction thriller in an exciting (as well as humourous) race for a Triopelian star chart! Truly a great read and I can't wait for the next in this series.
Profile Image for Mark Fahey.
Author 3 books4 followers
February 1, 2019
The 2nd book in the Halley's Casino trilogy is yours to discover...
Displaying 1 - 13 of 13 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.