Start by marking “Run, Riot” as Want to Read:
Run, Riot

Run, Riot

A powerful novel about young people standing up for themselves and their community, from the editor/author of The Good Immigrant.

When teenagers Hari and Jamal film an unarmed youth from their estate being beaten by police, they find themselves hunted by the very people who should be protecting them. But as they go on the run with Hari's twin sister, Taran, and Jamal's girl
Published June 14th 2018 by Hodder Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Run, Riot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Run, Riot

Jessica {Litnoob}
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A book outside of the United States that tackles both gentrification and police brutality? I didn’t even imagine I could come across something like this, it feels like such a personal problem here nobody else could possibly be suffering the same way as us right? But this book managed to tackle the subject and felt like it was happening in my neighborhood not 3000 miles away.

We see the lives of poor people, immigrants, working class families just trying to make it while the people with power sta
zaheerah
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, arcs
* I received an ARC of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. This in no way affected my opinion of the book.

After Taran’s twin brother witnesses a murder, it suddenly becomes a giant game of cat and mouse in their tower block. Them vs the police. Them vs everyone else. Hari and her friends soon learn there’s something else happening in the estate, something that will uproot from everything they knew.

Run, Riot tackles some pretty important topics. Racism, police brutality, corruption a
Annie
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
A fast paced, action packed thriller of a story that I believe to be The U.K’s answer to “The Hate U Give” (THUG). A story that explores social injustice at the hands of corruption, a story that turns the lives of 4 teens upside down when they become privy of too much information and the decision they need to make - stay silent and go on the run or take a stand and have justice prevail.. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, dialogue and the characters we followed and I also liked the story’s structur ...more
Megan  (YABookers)
Disclaimer: I received this free from the publisher via NetGalley.

Hari and Jamal witness and film a murder of an unarmed man from their estate. A murder committed by police. Soon, they find themselves running and being hunted by the very people who are supposed to be protecting them. They soon discover, along with Taran and Anna, that there is something much bigger happening in their estate.

‘He pushes past so many people in the block whose lives intersect with his own, who live above, below, nex
Karen Barber
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
What do you do when the people who’ve vowed to serve and protect you are the ones causing trouble? Sadly, the teens we follow through the course of this novel are forced to find out.
Thanks to NetGalley for granting me access to this prior to publication.
It’s an explosive read, with a growing sense of injustice and anger that builds to an unforgettable climax. I’d like to say we were truly in the realms of something that could never happen, but know that’s not the case.
We follow Taran and her tw
Amelia
Run, Riot spends a single night following a group of teenagers trying to hide in their tower block after they video police murdering another teenager from their neighbourhood. It addresses police brutality, corruption, gentrification and racism as the the group uncover a plot between police, politicians and housing developers.

The book felt really current and it was great to see these elements written about in a UK context, when more of this kind of YA is based in the US. The middle class tenants
Megan ♠︎ 읽어요 ♠︎ Michaels
I wanted to absolutely love this, the pages did fly by, I liked Taran and it is such and important topic and concept. The writing was decent, the only let downs were I felt all the adult characters were flat and the same, and the children only distinguishable by catchphrases rather than personality. I did like this though so a good, quick, exciting, topical YA (I would say middle grade??) book!
Stella
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a powerful, page-turning, through-provoking YA novel involving teenagers, gentrification and corruption. So absorbing it made me miss my stop TWICE (so probably best read at home and not while using public transport!)
Trisha
Tough read exploring corruption and greed. But also inspiring young people to take the lead in exposing these types of social injustice.
Helen Swinyard
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this in two days. If you know me, you will know how impressed I must have been. I was totally gripped. Nikesh has much to say and does it with integrity, magic storytelling, authentic voices and big morals. Bravo, sir. I hope you get many more ratings of this book than there are currently (I'm only 77th). I will definitely be getting lots of my school pupils to read this soon!
MBF
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I thought that the plot was very unique and interesting
Georgia
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Here is my review of this wonderful book! http://georgiasbookishthoughts.com/20...
Nina
Mar 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was so much fun! I thoroughly enjoyed myself while reading this. It was fast-paced always action packed which reminded me why I started reading. Great book to get you out of a reading slump. But the writing was really poor and the dialogue often cringy and unrealistic nevertheless, had quite a stable plot.
Kelly
This is a powerful story of community and using your voice. I adored Taran, Hari, Anna, Jamal and their fight for what is right. This story has moments that induce sadness, fear, anger and hope. Whilst reading this I couldn’t help but get excited for all the young people who will read this book and just GET it. This is the kind of life that is massively under represented in UKYA and I’m so glad this book exists for those young people. The UK’s answer to THUG.

A big thank you to NetGalley, Hodder
Katy Noyes

Meatspace was brilliant, an on-the-money look at a social-media-obsessed world. Shukla here turns to the YA audience and a selection of other hot topics: gangs, violence, corruption.

Twins Taran and Hari live in a rundown estate, after their Dad's chemo and unfairly rising rents out-priced them from a nicer area. They've settled there, made friends. In a THUG-like (Angie Thomas) scenario though, things come crashing down very quickly.

The tragic setup that they film sets up a community-sp
Siobhan
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Run, Riot is a fast-paced and tense YA novel about community, gentrification, and fighting to expose the system. Taran and her twin brother Hari live in Firestone House, a tower block near the centre of the city. It wasn't where they would've chosen to live, but they have friends there and a life. When Hari gets caught up in police violence, the twins and their friends Jamal and Anna find themselves on the run in their own home, in a race to uncover what is really happening to Firestone House an ...more
Read3r’z Re-Vu
Jul 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I found this to be a fast paced, action packed thriller of a story that I believe to be The U.K’s answer to “The Hate U Give” (THUG). A story that explores social injustice at the hands of corruption, and rogue police. A story that turns the lives of 4 teens upside down when they become privy to too much information and the decision they need to make - either stay silent and go on the run or take a stand and have justice prevail. I thoroughly enjoyed this story, the dialogue between the characte ...more
Jacqueline Lammin
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sammy
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Run, Riot follows a group of teenagers living in a community which is up for a re-model; the diverse group of teens are the focal point of this story and provide and insight into life of a community which no longer meets the “standards” expected of the area. Gentrification, corruption, and prejudice are just some of the themes running through this book. Although I didn’t agree with the way it portrays certain public services, I don’t doubt that there are small pockets in any city where this sort ...more
Heather
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Broke my book buying ban to buy a bundle and this is the first read from that excellent decision. Run, Riot follows a group of teens as they fight to expose the system that looks to move them from their tower block so it can be developed, exposing corruption and exploring ideas of gentrification. It's a fast-paced thriller that, at its heart, shows the bonds of community, and the power of voices coming together to expose injustice. Reluctantly had to put it down because of life after the first 2 ...more
Seawood
I received this as a free eBook from Netgalley. This does not affect my review.

Run, Riot is an absolute rush of a book. The action is entirely compressed to little more than 24hrs and one building. It is tense as hell, and though it took me a few chapters (actually time periods) to get into it, I couldn't put it down. I particularly liked Taran and Anna's characters (the boys were not quite as well-characterised, imo) - their differences in approach made the pacing of the action just right. The
Erin H
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 6430reads
Originally as I read, I was making connections between this book and its American counterparts such as The Hate U Give and Pride. However, this book is quintessentially British action mixed with social justice and YA empowerment. The connection between the four main characters as well as their home (literally running around one building for the majority of the story) is tangible and intense, and what saves the day, in the end. Good read, once I did finally get into it--and quite a few impactful ...more
I Read, Therefore I Blog
Nikesh Shukla’s first YA novel features authentic YA voices and focuses on working class characters while making interesting points on gentrification and who really benefits from it but the thriller elements descend into ludicrously overblown plot with unbelievable antagonists and a soap opera worthy conspiracy element while the 48 hour real-time hook is undermined by necessary flashbacks to provide exposition.
Caroline
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fiction
I had this book as a prepub and it is so good I have ordered it for my school library. Set in a tower block in London that is under threat from developers, this takes place in one night when violence erupts and four teenagers are caught up in a web of lies, deceit and police corruption and brutality. This is a good story about the importance of cohesion and the fight back of a disadvantaged community against gentrification. Excellent read.
Juwi
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
DNF

truth be told this IS A GREAT CONCEPT THIS BOOK HAD SO MUCH POTENTIAL but the execution was just...meh...

I honestly felt nothing for the characters and the writing was a bit all over the place for me.

I really wanted to love this book especially because BRITISH YA BY A POC about police brutality etc but I wasn’t feeling it AT ALL.

Victoria Bennion
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lydia Hephzibah
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
How does this only have 31 reviews? This book is being slept on and it deserves more; it feels like the UK's answer to THUG and it is scary. It took me a while to get into it but then I had to know what would happen.
Debbie at Snuggling on the Sofa
A book about friendship and community in the times of gentrification. Particularly relevant in the aftermath of Grenfell. As a thriller, not pacy enough for me but I would still recommend.
Rachel Shakespeare
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so fast paced and keeps you gripped, you feel like you're living every minute - can't wait to see more from this author
Aye_up_it's_Thanos
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
this guy gets better and better - proper good story

• The Ones That Disappeared
  • Living on Hope Street
  • Found
  • The Fall
  • My Box-Shaped Heart
  • Wilder Country (Winter, #2)
  • The Rift
  • Hexenhaus
  • V for Violet
  • Jinxed (Jinxed, #1)
  • Admission (Pandora Jones, #1)
  • The Twisted Tree
  • Gap Year in Ghost Town
  • Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds (Jane Doe Chronicles #1)
  • Waer
  • All the Little Bones (Circus Hearts, #1)
  • I Am Thunder