Start by marking “The Stranger Beside Me” as Want to Read:
The Stranger Beside Me

The Stranger Beside Me

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  50,994 ratings  ·  2,678 reviews
A #1 New York Times Best Seller, Ann Rule’s The Stranger Beside Me gives us a unique perspective into the hidden world of Ted Bundy. Rule gives a chilling and intimate description of her time at a crisis hotline alongside her co-worker, the then charming, sensitive and trustworthy Ted Bundy, and the devastating realization that he was a brutal killer hiding in plain sight. ...more
Published January 10th 2018 by Estate of Ann Rule in conjunction with Renaissance Literary & Talent (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Stranger Beside Me, please sign up.
Robert Many of his victims were never found so it's hard tell all the exact details. Many details of how women disappeared and some details on the few whose…moreMany of his victims were never found so it's hard tell all the exact details. Many details of how women disappeared and some details on the few whose bodies were found. Unfortunately many were just bones by the time they were found. The most detailed account is perhaps his attack on the sorority house in which 4 college students were attacked in their sleep(two were killed and two others severely injured). This was unfortunately one of the few times bodies were found and a lot more detail is given here. So much so even made me squeamish, and I've already read several Ann Rule's books so I'm not a newbie to horrible crime scenes.

It does talk of how he was tracked down and eventually caught by Florida. They didn't realize at first who they had and that he was on the run from Colorado on a murder charge. Police eventually put the pieces together and he gets the electric chair for the murders. (less)

Jeffrey Keeten
“And, like all the others, I have been manipulated to suit Ted’s needs. I don’t feel particularly embarrassed or resentful about that. I was one of many, all of us intelligent, compassionate people who had no real comprehension of what possessed him, what drove him obsessively.”

photo IMG_1773_zps7vqzsukz.jpg
Would you trust this man?

Comparisons could be made between Lois Lane and the writer Ann Rule. She was caught in the middle of a bizarre set of circumstances that was quickly becoming a nightmare. Someone she considered
Paquita Maria Sanchez
"Oh, I was just in the right place at the right time..."

...NOT something that many of the women in Ted Bundy's life would come to say about meeting America's Grade-A machismo pin-up boy. In fact, as far as I can tell, Ann Rule was the only person to actually benefit from knowing him. And boy, did she ever.

To state it quite plainly, Rule is not what one would call a "great" writer. Or even really a good "writer." She repeats herself to accentuate her point like she's me writing like I talk when I
Ana
What’s one less person on the face of the earth, anyway?

photo 5a281e09a294fecc25dd43c20d2c3147_zpsfbgzgghh.png

Ted has been described as the perfect son, the perfect student, the Boy Scout grown to adulthood, a genius, as handsome as a movie idol, a bright light in the future of the Republican Party, a sensitive psychiatric social worker, a budding lawyer, a trusted friend, a young man for whom the future could surely hold only success. He is all of these things, and none of them. Ted Bundy fits no pattern at all; you could not look at his re
Jonathan Ashleigh
This was an interesting read, and for the most part it was written adequately. Due to the geography of the murders (I am from Aspen), I had a particular interest in some of the events. My problem with the book is the self-important place which the author places herself when her own words make me feel as though she was nothing more than a "Ted groupie" who sent him money in jail and gave him information. At times, she claims Ted calls her only to talk, and then it is clearly evident by what their ...more
✨Tamara
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!!!
Ann Rule takes us on a thrilling journey of the life and death of serial killer Ted Bundy. Being friends with a serial killer isn't the easiest thing in the world. But Ann didn't find that out until much later...
Oh, Ted Bundy... what can I possibly say about this American icon that hasn't already been said in this book? I had several problems with this book but it had absolutely nothing to do with the author. Problems such as the diagnosis that they gave Ted Bundy which I felt was complet
Shaun
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This was an exhausting read. Between the epilogue, the afterword 1986, the last chapter 1989, the update: twenty years later 2000, and a postscript penned by Rule's daughter, I thought I might never finish this.

That said, it is considered by many to be the definitive work not only on Bundy the serial killer, but also on Bundy the charismatic, attractive, and promising law student.

And really. What are the chances? You're a struggling single mom of four, eking out a living writing true crime
Maede
از بین همه ی قاتل های سریالی که مدت هاست پرونده هاشون رو می خونم، بدون شک "تد باندی" موجود کاملاً متفاوتیه. درسته که باندی به متهم به کشتن و تجاوز به حداقل سی زن بود (آمار اصلی به احتمال زیاد خیلی بیشتر هست) ولی کسانی بودند که خیلی بیشتر از باندی کشتند و خیلی فجیع تر

اما باندی یک موجود نادر بود. یک هیولا-انسان.
مردی که می تونست حقوق و روانشناسی بخونه و یک دانشجوی نمونه باشه، سال ها عاشق زنی باشه، برای صاحبخانه ی پیرش مثل یک پسر باشه و بچه ای در حال غرق شدن رو نجات بده و در همان حال دخترهای جوان ر
Jack
Jan 18, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For all that Ann Rule invokes her friendship with Bundy -both before and after Bundy's arrest - the truth is this book could have been written solely off of newspaper research and trial records. There's no real emotional-depth or analysis. And Rule's interjections of what was happening with her personal life are annoying; they don't connect to any of the other events she's writing about, and since her entire description of her feelings towards and interactions with bundy are about as dry as when ...more
Johann (jobis89)
“I was one of many, all of us intelligent, compassionate people who had no real comprehension of what possessed him, what drove him obsessively.”

Ann Rule had signed a contract to write a book on a series of brutal and heinous murders of beautiful young women, not knowing she was going to be writing about the man she had worked alongside at a suicide hotline. A man she had found to be kind and understanding, someone she had began to see as a friend. The Stranger Beside Me is a biographical and au
jv poore
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ted Bundy was convicted of horrific crimes against young women and girls. I think it takes a special strength to tell his story as objectively as possible, but I cannot imagine the resolve and commitment required to write this book about a companion.

Brilliantly balanced, the author somehow separates the young man that worked in the crisis center and went on to become her friend, with the wanted "Ted". As if I needed another reason to admire Ann Rule.
Ammar
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I ever read by Ann Rule and it was the perfect true crime book. I found a battered copy at a used bookshop.

I inhaled this book during a Christmas break and was so intrigued how close Ann came to know Ted Bundy when she was volunteering at the suicide help line.

Yes he is a charismatic serial killer who targeted young women and when he got caught he denied nothing

This book is a modern classic.
Poonam
Generally I do not read much of non-fiction but I do make an exception for True crime stories. I have read another book by Ann Rule and the thing I like about her books is that even though they are non-fiction they read like a fiction story.

This book is about the famous serial killer Ted Bundy who terrorized U.S in the 70's. The story is told from perspective of his close friend (Ann Rule) who had known him before he was ever suspected in any of the killings.

The story takes us back to Ted's chil
Book Riot Community
This month I’ve been binge listening to the podcast My Favorite Murder. I’m obsessed. There were a couple of episodes where Karen (one of the hosts) mentioned that she was reading The Stranger Beside Me. I was intrigued. When I picked it up, I couldn’t put it down. Ann Rule was a prolific true crime writer, and this is the work that really put her on the map. Back in the ‘70s, in some weird twist of fate, the serial killer she was writing about turned out to be her friend, Ted. The Stranger Besi ...more
Estelle
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
An uneven read. Sometimes griping and fascinating, other times tedious and dragging. Even tho Ann Rule's relationship with Ted Bundy and her unique perspective on the whole case made the book interesting, I almost wished I read something written by a different person. Someone with better writing skills.
I'd still recommend "The Stranger Beside Me" to anyone who wants a very detailed account of Bundy's life, but be prepared... This is a long and tiresome book.
Samantha
Aug 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: True Crime Fans
Shelves: true-crime
This book was absolutely riveting. I had started reading it a while ago, but was reading another book as well and had set it aside for a while. When I picked it up again, I simply could not put it down.

Ann Rule is one of the premiere true crime writers, but what made this one special was that she had been friends with Ted Bundy (and had worked with him at a Crisis Hotline!) before he was a suspect in the myriad heinous crimes he eventually confessed to a few days before he was executed.

The most
Heather
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5, rounded down.

This book scared the ever-living crap outta me, guys. (Which, admittedly, really isn't very hard to do... but still.)

Call me uncultured if you must, but the only thing I knew about Ted Bundy before reading this was that he was a serial killer. That's literally the only bit of information I knew, so it goes without saying that this book taught me a whole heck of a lot.

I don't know that I am happy to now be haunted by the idea of this mans evil, sadistic behavior, but it was r
Fiona
Ann Rule has written a truly interesting book here; the updates as both the case progressed and her viewpoint adjusted are absolutely invaluable.

For me, true crime is a window into how the human brain goes wrong. I'm endlessly fascinated by what the brain is capable of, both at the good and bad ends of the spectrum. Unfortunately, too often true crime is either neglectful of the victims, treating killers or otherwise awful people as the star of the show. That, or it's all lurid details of truly
LeAnne
I was a freshman at FSU in the fall of 1979 and had a work study job at the multimedia laboratory on campus. I worked with professionals learning about campus TV productions, photography, and journalism. Several of the people that I worked with had to go to Bundy's trial to testify for the defense. After he killed the girls at FSU's Chi Omega sorority house, it was a multi media laboratory van that he stole and drove to Lakeland where he killed his final victim and was captured.Basically, they w ...more
Kavita
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime, usa
We serial killers are your sons, we are your husbands, we are everywhere. And there will be more of your children dead tomorrow.

What are the chances of a ex-policewoman turned journalist working on a story about random murders taking place in the country actually having worked at close quarters with the same serial killer in a crisis centre? That's a pretty unique position to be in and Ann Rule was unfortunate enough to be on the spot. She had bonded with Ted over months of saving people's liv
☮Karen
In person book club read #12.

I can't wait to talk about this one with the gals in the bookclub. I've always been fascinated by Ted Bundy, and actually think I read this before right after it was first published. Now I'm again a little obsessed, watching his interviews on youtube, and on Hoopla watched the made-for-TV movie based on this book. Very good!

I clearly remember when Bundy was electrocuted for 36 murders, all young attractive women, many killed in their college rooms as they slept. I wa
Lisa Greer
Nov 05, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was hooked from the first page. What an opportunity Rule had. I know that is ghoulish, but wow. This definitely made her career, and it also shows that Bundy, like many others, is more than a cardboard cut out figure of a killer.

This was really excellent. I think Rule had great insights, and I think she might be right when she said Bundy probably fooled James Dobson in the famous interview. She showed her slow realization that he was a sociopath.

I think the interesting thing is that there are
Sonja Arlow

The book packs a punch because of its content not its writing.

There are really two stories here:
1) The horrific and fantastical story of Ted Bundy
2) The story of Ann Rule

I loved the one and was disappointed in the other.

This almost feels like fan fiction rather than investigative non-fiction. Some details were included only because the people asked the author to do so rather than these additions adding anything of value to the story.

I found it interesting that the author fell under Bun
Sumit Singla
Aug 05, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, non-fiction, horror
Redundant, boring, and a massive drag. There is just so much wrong with this book that if I list all of it, my review might get to about half the length of the book.

Ann Rule cannot write. There are far too many repetitions, poorly phrased sentences, typos, and missing words in the book. I can understand that the 'writer' might have created many chapters from her notes, but that is no excuse for poor editing. The length of the book is too much for my liking. (Did Ann Rule get paid by the number o
Lori
Jun 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ann Rule's "The Stranger Beside Me" is probably the most frightening of all the accounts of Ted Bundy's murderous career. Why? Because Rule was a former policewoman, she considered Ted Bundy a co-worker and friend and never saw the sociopathic personality lurking behind his charming facade. As a society, I think we want to believe that we can easily spot those Bundys, Dahmers, Gacys . . . and Rule's book emphasizes the fact that we cannot. Those monsters blend in sometimes seamlessly with the re ...more
Medhat The Book Fanatic
The Stranger Beside Me is an outstanding true-crime classic that delves into and tackles the crimes of serial killer Ted Bundy in the 1970s.

Ted Bundy is one of the most prolific serial-killers in the US history. He killed only women, young and beautiful. He stalked them in the most predatory way, and then killed them in the most horrific ways. (view spoiler)
Caroline
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of true crime stories; those wanting to know everything about Ted Bundy
***NO SPOILERS***

This, Ann Rule's most famous book, is a truly riveting read, never dry, not journalistic, and admirably thorough. One star docked, however, for an underlying sympathy toward Bundy that's very hard to understand much less accept. Rule, who'd been a close friend of Bundy's, spoke of sending him money (totaling several hundred dollars over the years) and stamps while he was imprisoned and continuing her friendly communications with him for many years. It seems unlikely that Rule in
Rebecca McNutt
Many true crime stories are easily predictable and sensationalist pieces, but The Stranger Beside Me is not the case. This book tells the story of notorious serial killer Ted Bundy, but instead of focusing on him, it focuses on the opinions of one of his close friends, who finds herself trying to come to terms with his twisted actions.
Maria
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Powerful book. Excellent writing. I knew a little about Ted Bundy, but this book goes in depth to his psyche. It was an emotional roller coaster. Some days were harder to read than others. All in all I would recommend this book! Having said that, I would not read it again! Once was enough!
Alissa Patrick
Hello. My name is Alissa and I am a True Crime addict & a serial killer enthusiast. ::waves::

I don't know what the fascination is with this awful people, but any type of True Crime story comes my way and I eat it up. I have a coworker that feels the same and we are constantly discussing which ones are our "favorite" serial killers. Morbid I know. You can judge me, it's okay!

For me, it has always been Ted Bundy. Ted Bundy was the first one I can clearly remember. As sick as it sounds, he was
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
This review can also be found on my blog!

CW: serial killings, rape, necrophilia, and graphic descriptions of crimes

Earlier this year, I read Green River, Running Red and decided that I needed to give this book another chance. Years ago, I tried reading it, got bored, and then stopped reading it. I couldn’t get into it and I thought the story was more about the author than Ted Bundy.

Now, a bit older, I can see its strengths.

Yes, it focuses a lot on Ann Rule. That’s because, in a way, the book was
Crime, Mysteries ...: * The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule - January 2019 24 29 5 hours, 21 min ago
LexMurderinos Boo...: The Stranger Beside Me 1 4 Nov 06, 2018 10:26AM
Murderino Book Club: The Stranger Beside Me Book Discussion 9 94 Jul 11, 2018 09:32AM
And that's why we...: Thoughts so far 2 49 Feb 15, 2018 08:34AM
Play Book Tag: The Stranger Beside Me/Rule - 4 stars 4 21 Oct 28, 2017 09:16AM
  • The Riverman: Ted Bundy and I Hunt for the Green River Killer
  • Blind Faith
  • Bitter Blood: A True Story of Southern Family Pride, Madness, and Multiple Murder
  • The Only Living Witness: The True Story of Serial Sex Killer Ted Bundy
  • The Hillside Stranglers
  • The Night Stalker
  • Tears of Rage: From Grieving Father to Crusader for Justice: The Untold Story of the Adam Walsh Case
  • The Cases That Haunt Us
  • Killer Clown: The John Wayne Gacy Murders
  • Depraved: The Definitive True Story of H.H. Holmes, Whose Grotesque Crimes Shattered Turn-Of-The-Century Chicago
  • Whoever Fights Monsters: My Twenty Years Tracking Serial Killers for the FBI
  • The Search for the Green River Killer
  • Deadly Innocence
  • Perfect Victim: The True Story of "The Girl in the Box"
  • I: The Creation of a Serial Killer
  • In Broad Daylight: A Murder in Skidmore, Missouri
  • The Jeffrey Dahmer Story: An American Nightmare
  • Zodiac
Ann Rule was a popular American true crime writer. Raised in a law enforcement and criminal justice system environment, she grew up wanting to work in law enforcement herself. She was a former Seattle Policewoman and was well educated in psychology and criminology.

She came to prominence with her first book, The Stranger Beside Me, about the Ted Bundy murders. At the time she started researching th
“Yet, in reality, Ted loved things more than he loved people. He could find life in an abandoned bicycle or an old car, and feel a kind of compassion for these inanimate objects, more compassion than he could ever feel for another human being.” 8 likes
“As I write these recollections of women who survived, I hope my readers are taking careful note of why they did.
They screamed.
They fought.
They slammed doors in a stranger's face.
They ran.
They doubted glib stories.
They spotted flaws in those stories.
They were lucky enough to have someone step up and protect them.”
5 likes