Start by marking “Angela Marchmont Mysteries: Books 1-3 - The Murder at Sissingham Hall, The Mystery at Underwood House, The Treasure at Poldarrow Point” as Want to Read:

(Angela Marchmont Mystery #1-3)

Librarian Note: This is an alternate cover edition for ASIN B01N9FCWCV.

Meet enigmatic "lady detective" Angela Marchmont in this series of light-hearted and charming 1920s mysteries!

Includes:

THE MURDER AT SISSINGHAM HALL (Book 1)

On his return from South Africa, Charles Knox is invited to spend the weekend at the country home of Sir Neville Strickland, whose beautiful
Published December 7th 2016 by Mount Street Press

Start your review of Angela Marchmont Mysteries: Books 1-3 - The Murder at Sissingham Hall, The Mystery at Underwood House, The Treasure at Poldarrow Point
Mariah
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great period piece

Enjoyable cozy set in the 30s or 40s. Mrs. Marchmont is very forward thinking for the era. Between Angela and her goddaughter Barbara the mystery of the stolen necklace was solved. A few twists and turns, certain people weren't who we thought they were. Very intriguing.
Gina
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read only the first book and before the end starting skimming some as it wan't much of a mystery nor did it offer much for later discussion. I was getting tired of going through all the possible suspects as the obvious was ignored. I did enjoy the period setting. I may read book two if I'm traveling and need a quick light read.
Lois
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mystery in a mystery!

I thoroughly enjoyed this trio of mysteries! Well written, great story line, and nice twist at the end. I also enjoyed the tinge of romance via a scoundrel! Hehehe
Elaine Bidstrup
Angela Marchmont is an American lady living in England during the 1930's. Although she doesn't mean to she becomes known as a detective for solving supposedly insolvable mysteries. She works with Inspector Jameson of Scotland Yard during all three.
The first is at at a friend's manor house in the country and is about who murdered the friend's husband. The second is to solve the why's and wherefore's of the murder of 5 brothers and sisters. The last, and my personal favorite, The Treasure of
Holly Kailani
Convoluted mystery, stupid people, and a reckless child

What I liked was that the mystery and the real identity of the characters was not obvious.
What I didn’t like: Angela was extremely careless about sharing information with her god daughter Barbara, and even more careless about keeping tabs on Barbara’s whereabouts. Of course, Barbara nearly gets killed by the villains. I think I blame Angela even more than Barbara for B being such a willful and dangerously precocious child.
The final
Rachel
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, historical
Angela Marchmont is a fascinating heroine--genteel, but efficiently competent; brilliantly rational, but delightfully empathetic. She's an interesting enough detective that enjoyed all these mysteries, even the first, which was rather too easy to figure out, and from the point of view of an unreliable narrator I slightly disliked.
Shaunna
Fun little mysteries

I love British mystery novels, I must admit. Angela Marchmount is a clever woman who finds herself in the middle of a good mystery. Then her reputation grows and people ask for her help. The characters in these novels are well crafted, and the author tells the story well.
Nicole Shames
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series!

I enjoy historical fiction, and this mystery series was right up my alley! My favorite was Book 3. I adore the character of Barbara, Angela’s goddaughter. Highly recommend. I am going to download the next ones on the series as well, I have to know what mysteries Angela gets into next!
Belinda
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good series

These book introduce amateur detective Angela Marchmont. The first book starts out with Angela as a house guest when the host is murdered. Her sleuthing is not very prominent in that story,but in the other two she is very actively involved . I would recommend this series
Patrica Sheldon
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved these mysteries. They remind me of Annie Perry’s books. The stories are not as complex as Ms Perrys’ but have the same feel. This is a set of 3 mysteries each a little different. All the characters seem to be guilty at one time or another. Clues are dropped here and there making you think you know who did it, but beware of falling into that trap. I throughly enjoyed reading them.
PortCityDeDe
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun adventures with Mrs. Marchmont

A pleasant stroll through a period passed. The first two books were a simple mystery, but the third book threw in a few twists the had me guessing, incorrectly. It was a relaxing escape from reality.
Cindy Chambers
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly good reads

I so enjoyed the first three books and am anxious to read more. I liked the time period and Mrs. Marchmont quite a lot and look forward to more of her adventures.
Jane
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good

I love these mysteries and was thrilled with each one. The theme wove in and out so much that it seemed there was a different criminal in each chapter. Hard to guess what was the truth and ending.
Michael
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good read!

There were many reasons why I LOVED this book. The characters were interesting and funny. Imagine a fight including hitting characters over the head with sausages.
Julie Rice
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming detective from yesteryear

Angela Marchmont is a lady repeatedly thrust into mysteries who finds a way to solve them. The tales will keep you on your toes. Do you have what it takes to find the resolution before Mrs. Marchmont does?
Cindy Segal
The ending changes my mind

I read the first 3 books and will not be reading more. I do not want to give anything away, but there is one single action by Angela that I dislike so much I can no longer enjoy the series
Carol
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fluffy but Fun

Love this genre! Insightful older lady who modestly directs expert detectives toward the REAL facts of the case. Descriptions of English geography and customs of days past.
Sharon Koop
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Mystery

These three books in this series are excellent period mysteries. At times dragged a little. But the end result was worth reading through the slow parts. I will continue to read the next book.
Barbara
Good summer read

Not a serious book, but enjoyable to read as a quick summer read. Kept me interested. I read it in less than a week.
Sherry McWilliams
Loved all three stories. Angela Marchmont is an interesting woman as are the other characters in the stories. Twists and turns throughout each story. A great mystery set of stories.
Mary Crawley
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Goof read

un reading filled with believable characters and enough plot twists to keep the reader engaged and wanting more. I look forward to the next book

NELL C.
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun Mysteries

These three Angela Marchmont mysteries were fun to read. There are clues galore which make an interesting puzzle for the reader.
Rissi
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smart, funny, fast-paced, and well written. Easy mysteries to enjoy any time. I like the "detective," Mrs Marchmont.
Gabi Eagon
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!!

Reminds me of Agatha Christie. Many interesting characters and hidden rooms and motives. Don't miss these books by Clara Benson.
Elka
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of fun. The clues practically have flashing neon signs, so there are no surprises here, but the settings are so delightful, I think most readers won't mind.
Jean Vogelsong
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mystery and History

I really enjoyed reading these books. England during this time was so different than it is today. I might have enjoyed living during this time
Susan Slaton
Entertaining, but I had it figured out very early in the book. Too bad, because the characters were fun.
Maudley
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable light mysteries set in an elegant era.
Be Jones
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well done!

Clara Benson, writing today, beautifully captures the essence, language, idiom, and style of the classic 1920s cozy mystery. What a delightful read!
Julie Constantine
Great series

I enjoyed the "accidental" detective. Although the first book didn't seem to really make her out to be the main protagonist, it got better in #2 & #3

• Murder at Merisham Lodge (Miss Hart and Miss Hunter Investigate, #1)
  • Girl in the Shadows (Diamond Files Mystery #1)
  • Deadly Chapel (Skegness Seaside #1)
  • Agnes Barton In Tawas Box Set (Agnes Barton Senior Sleuths Mystery, #4-6)
  • An Isle of Man Ghostly Cozy Collection - ABC
  • Season of the Raven (Servant of the Crown Mystery, #1)
  • Made A Killing (Alex Warren Murder Mysteries Book 1)
  • An Invitation to Murder
  • Dune House Cozy Mystery Boxed Set: Books 1 - 4
  • Marriage Can Be Murder (Dr. Benjamin Bones Mysteries, #1)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Mydworth Mysteries  #1)
  • Still Kicking (Lainie Lovett Mystery, #1)
  • Murder in the Abbey (Maggie Newberry Mysteries, #8)
  • A Fatal Journey (Rose Beckingham, #5)
  • The Grand Tour: Four International Mysteries
  • Bennett Sisters Mysteries Volume 1 & 2
  • Murder Aboard the Flying Scotsman  (Ginger Gold Mysteries #8)
  • Murder at Feathers & Flair
Clara Benson is the author of the Angela Marchmont Mysteries and Freddy Pilkington-Soames Adventures - traditional English whodunits in authentic style set in the 1920s and 30s. One day she would like to drink cocktails and solve mysteries in a sequinned dress and evening gloves. In the meantime she lives in the north of England with her family and doesn't do any of those things.

If you want to be

Angela Marchmont Mystery (10 books)
  • The Murder at Sissingham Hall
  • The Mystery at Underwood House (Angela Marchmont Mystery #2)
  • The Treasure at Poldarrow Point  (Angela Marchmont Mystery #3)
  • The Riddle at Gipsy's Mile (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 4)
  • The Incident at Fives Castle (Angela Marchmont Mystery #5)
  • The Imbroglio at the Villa Pozzi (Angela Marchmont Mystery #6)
  • The Problem at Two Tithes (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #7)
  • The Trouble at Wakeley Court (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #8)
  • The Scandal at 23 Mount Street (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #9)
  • The Shadow at Greystone Chase (An Angela Marchmont Mystery Book 10)
“Tea!’ I said. ‘Our comfort and our joy. If England should ever fall and the race be all but wiped out, it is certain that the last few surviving Englishmen will be found at some faraway outpost, drinking tea as though nothing had happened!” 1 likes
“everything that a person does, or says, or thinks, causes that person to change—even if it’s just a little bit at a time. And then after many years, all those little changes can add up to a big change.” 0 likes