Start by marking “Ice (A Chris Matheson Cold Case Mystery Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Ice (A Chris Matheson Cold Case Mystery Book 1)

Ice

(A Chris Matheson Cold Case Mystery #1)

When Sandy Lipton and her unborn child disappeared, the court of public opinion found young Chris Matheson guilty. Decades later, the retired FBI agent returns home to discover that the cloud of suspicion cast over him and his family has never lifted.

With the help of a team of fellow retired law enforcement officers, each a specialist in their own field of investigation,
Published February 26th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice

♥Rachel♥
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Probably would've enjoyed this more if I didn't listen to the audio book version. The narrator made the hero and other males sound kind of like hicks and older than they were. Still, it was an entertaining read.
Debbie Oxier
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a page turner and the main reason was the lead character, Chris Matheson. Chris is silver haired with a touch of auburn remaining, in his early fifties, retired FBI. He is currently living with his mother, Doris, and has two daughters, Katelyn and Emma. His wife died, killed in a terrorist attack overseas. He also has a goofy German Shepherd, a former police dog wounded in action, now retired like Chris, that can open car doors, battle with Chris over what radio station they're going to ...more
Sherry Fundin
Ice by Lauren Carr has such a cool cover, but it is her stories that make her a must read author for me. I was hooked right out of the gate, with the sweet and fun kids, the retired service dogs, a female rabbit named Thor, who thinks she’s a dog, a book club of retired law enforcement officers who love reading mysteries and suspense novels, then tearing them apart…but the book club segued to so much more.

Lauren Carr includes so many wonderful elements in her stories, and makes each one a separa
Laura Thomas
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, cozy-mystery
I started reading this at night and finally had to set it aside when my eyes got blurry. I woke up n the dark, around 5:46 A.M. and the booked popped right into my head. So, I turned on the light and started back up with it, devouring it in a couple of hours.

I’ve read other books by Lauren and shared reviews saying how much I loved her mysteries and her characters, both human and other. This was a brand new cast of characters and I had such a great time getting to know them.

Chris retired from t
Amy
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ice by Lauren Carr, starts off a brand new series that deals with solving cold cases. In this particular story the past and present collide when retired FBI agent Chris’s reputation is at stake again for a crime he did not commit some 24 years ago. In author Carr fashion, we have several past and present crimes that have taken place that may or may not be related. This story kept the pages turning quickly as there were a lot of possible suspects and way too many victims and their families whose ...more
books are love
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
First Sterling the dog is a hoot. Him in the casino reminded me of that picture dogs playing poker.

The story was really engaging. I loved how they had all these cold cases and were working them on the sly posing as a book club.

Chris moved home after his dad died to help his mom. His children came with him and they are precocious and adorable. You get a hint that his marriage wasn’t doing to well before his wife died. You also see that he has someone who got away and he still loves for they do r
Jessica Bronder
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chris Matheson is a retired FBI agent that has moved home after the death of his wife to a terrorist attack. He now lives on his mother’s farm with his three daughters. Because he has shut himself off from the world, his mother talks him into joining his late father’s book club. This is no ordinary group; it is a collection of retired law enforcement officials that does a lot more than read books called the Geezer Squad. They reluctantly let Chris in and show him that they are working on one of ...more
Lindsay
Have you ever heard of a dog playing blackjack? I know that I have not, Lauren Carr has brought us a book with another dog. We meet Chris Matheson and his family in this very entertaining book.

They are a mystery every time we turn the page. I would call this a page-turner with a twist and turns with each time you decide to turn the page.

What book club is Elliott trying to get Chris to join? There mysteries and secrets too from the beginning to the end of the book. Do we have a serial killer on t
Floryie
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
I am no stranger to the author's writing and so when I saw that she has a new series, I was happy to start with the first book for a change. But all her books are easy to easy as standalones because of the list of characters at the start of each book.

The main point which caught my attention was the unsolved mystery - the disappearance of Sandy inferred in the blurb. It had the making of a perfect mystery read especially with the prologue. I was immediately interested in Sandy's fate. This curios
IslandRiverScribe
In this 1st entry in Lauren Carr's Cold Case series, do not confuse any advertising claim of "clean" with the concept of "cozy." Think a lighter version of David Baldacci's Camel Club and you are headed in the right direction.

Unlike a large number of cozies or even clean reads, this story contains a convoluted, well-crafted mystery -- a missing persons cold case from 24 years previous and a set of murder-related cold cases extending from nearly that same time. And then Carr throws in a current m
Kristine Hall
Audio Book Review. Oh my gosh! This book was so much fun, and as I was reading it (with my ears), there were so many people who popped to mind and to whom I will be recommending the book, and each for a different reason. (Christena -- because of Sterling, the fabulous German shepherd; Lynda – who loves a good cozy that has sexy middle-aged romance; Kristi – who loves to see a spunky librarian like herself in the mix; and so many MORE.) I will be book talking ICE: A Chris Matheson Cold Case Myste ...more
Carla
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Lauren spins an amazing web of lies, murder and love that will have you on the edge of your seat.

In this story, a young woman who has a fascination with Chris Matheson states he is the Father of her unborn child. While some know the truth, before he can prove his innocence with a DNA test both Sandy and her unborn child disappear never to be heard from again. Even after years of a successful career in the FBI, a marriage that did not quite work out and being the Father of a group of smart young
Lu Ann
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lauren Carr "hits the Jackpot" again with this new "Geezer" series!

Ice is an exciting story of a retired FBI man who tragically lost his wife, so returned to his home town so his mother can assist him in raising his children. When his daughter revealed to him a cruel statement made to her at school, Chris decided it is time to do whatever he needs to tyo solve an "ice" cold case.

Once again, Lauren has created a delightful mix of characters which seem to jump out of the story into real life! The
Sue
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow

I enjoyed this book immensely, it was very entertaining. Chris and Helen his mother Doris, I just couldn't put down.
☕ Kimberly
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mystery, humor and a cool book club. RTC.
Susan
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent

Can't wait for the next book...loved the goofy dog..and Chris's mother..still miss Mac Faraday..would love to see another book in that series..
Glenda Bixler
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
Available Soon Ice, First in New Series...

Mary Ambs
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read!

Grabbed my interest in the first chapter and from there I had a hard time putting it down. I love Lauren Carr, she is a very interesting writer. I hope she continues with this series like she did with Mac Faraday series. She keeps you in suspense until the last page.
Lovely Loveday
Mar 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
ICE is a fast-paced suspenseful thriller that you will not want to put down! This mystery does not disappoint, drawing you in from the beginning and making you question page after page. Carr has created a creative and unique list of characters that are well developed. Together, they mesh perfectly with the plot and make for one thrilling story. Carr has created a book so full of mystery that you will be surprised to learn who the serial killer is. Overall, a remarkable suspenseful read!
Lila Allen
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read

Intense and intriguing plot with great twists and turns. Well written end and the characters were excellent. My only sticking point was the pseudo Gnarly German shepherd character seemed a bit repetitive. All in all a great story.
Jan Miller
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I so enjoyed this book by Lauren Carr with its unique character, both human and four legged. Sterling and Thor stole several scenes with their vibrant personalities and antics. I love it when an author is able to include pets into a story in a very realistic and positive manner. The author did an outstanding job weaving mystery, humor, romance into one incredible book. This book is the beginning of a new series and a standalone listen. The characters were developed and thought the story flowed r ...more
bonnie kirchner
Mar 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've

This is the first book in a new series by Lauren Carr. I have read a lot of mysteries but Lauren Carr is by far the best . I have read all her books and I can't wait for the next one. I highly recommend any of her mysteries they are the best.
Gale Smith
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another home run!

This book grabbed me at the begging, I was captivated and read till I fell asleep with my kindle in hand! Housework had to wait the next day till I finished. I love the characters and so happy to have Sterling stirring up trouble! Will be anxiously waiting for any of Laurens books to be published!
Emilie Davis
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

This book will keep you on your toes trying to keep up with the action! First, Lauren Carr has such interesting animals in her books, I'd like to adopt one of them! She paints a picture that one can see in your mind's eye and there you are in the middle of the action. I cannot wait for the next book! Keep up the good work!!
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After having read several books from the three series of Carr's books on the market, I was excited to read ICE, the first book in the Chris Matheson Cold Case Mystery series with a whole new set of characters. As is Carr's trademark, ICE was a thrilling crime fiction novel filled with twists and turns, non-stop action, strong characters, and comical relief in the form of four-legged companions.

Chris Matheson, a retired FBI agent in his forties and the new main character of the series, is a widow
Ann
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chris Matheson is a retired FBI agent who has returned to his West Virginia home town after the death of his wife. He is raising three young daughters and life is good until the shadow of his past comes back to haunt him. Sandy Lipton, a pregnant teenager, disappeared twenty-five years ago. Chris had taken her to the prom right before she got pregnant and people are whispering that he made her disappear and left for the FBI as part of a cover up. He meets a group of retired people at the local l ...more
Cf
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another cast of interesting characters. A retired (maybe) FBI Agent now living with his very interesting Mother, three daughters, three dogs, horses and a Loop Eared Rabbit. That is just the beginning and it only gets better from there.
Angela Thompson
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lauren Carr Creates Another Great Cast of Characters. If you have read any of Lauren Carr's novels--you know that most hold fairly large casts of characters. Ice is no exception. Readers will find a cast with multiple murder victims, multiple suspects--and a quirky crime solving team. Carr creates likeable, fun characters--each with his or her own personalities, talents and unique skill sets. The author begins the novel with a character list--and explains each character a bit and defines their r ...more
Meagan Myhren-bennett
Ice
A Chris Matheson Cold Case Mystery #1
By Lauren Carr

More than 20 years ago Chris Matheson was a person of interest in the disappearance of Sandy Lipton. The small town gossip blamed him and now that he's back in town with his daughters he learns that the wagging tongues and speculation never died down. Worse his daughters have started hearing the malice gossip that if true would see him serving a sentence still.

Talked into joining his late father's book club, Chris soon learns that this is no
Michelle
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another hit

Well done Lauren. You've done it again. Great characters and great story. Easy reading. Looking forward to the second book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Lauren Carr is the international best-selling author of the Mac Faraday, Lovers in Crime, and Thorny Rose Mysteries—over twenty titles across three fast-paced mystery series filled with twists and turns!

Book reviewers and readers alike rave about how Lauren Carr’s seamlessly crosses genres to include mystery, suspense, romance, and humor.

Lauren is a popular speaker who has made appearances at sch