Start by marking “Norse Mythology” as Want to Read:
Norse Mythology

Norse Mythology

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  147,023 ratings  ·  15,245 reviews
Neil Gaiman, long inspired by ancient mythology in creating the fantastical realms of his fiction, presents a bravura rendition of the Norse gods and their world from their origin though their upheaval in Ragnarok.

In Norse Mythology, Gaiman stays true to the myths in envisioning the major Norse pantheon: Odin, the highest of the high, wise, daring, and cunning; Thor, Odin
Published March 6th 2018 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published February 7th 2017)

A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. MaasThe Hate U Give by Angie ThomasEleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail HoneymanA Conjuring of Light by V.E. SchwabCaraval by Stephanie Garber
Best Books of 2017
1,532 books — 2,855 voters
Neverwhere by Neil GaimanAmerican Gods by Neil GaimanThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanStardust by Neil GaimanCoraline by Neil Gaiman
Best of Neil Gaiman
113 books — 473 voters

More lists with this book...

·  147,023 ratings  ·  15,245 reviews

Emily May
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of mythology
I've always loved mythology, folktales and legends. They are the original fairy tales of humanity and, given the timeless fairytale quality to Gaiman's writing, it seemed to follow that he would be the perfect writer for a book of Norse mythology. He is. In fact, Gaiman seems born to write (or rewrite) myths.

Norse mythology is actually one I've always been less familiar with. I know Greek, Roman and Egyptian fairly well, and some Indian as well, but my knowledge of Norse mythology kind of ends a
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Gaiman is, without a doubt, one of the most multi-talented writers alive today. I don’t say this out of a sense of personal bias, but with a degree of objectivity. Not only does he write fantastic comics, intelligent children’s stories and detailed novels about the nature of godhood (even if I didn’t personally enjoy them all), he also has adapted Norse mythology and re-written it with his modern stylish flair.

He really is a talented man; he is capable of that rare, rare, thing of being able to
Ana O
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mythology, fantasy
I am no longer a Neil Gaiman virgin. Being a mythology nut, I practically devoured it in one sitting.

Odin

photo 9293e1e4589b16f65509ff1a80c2fa85_zpsvxpp12yd.jpg

Nótt
 photo 00d771220be55883513056ff2321bab2_zpsscmxgtun.jpg

Bradley
Definitely short, but imminently readable. This is one of the best straight mythology books I've read when it comes to pure enjoyment.

I say this, fully aware that I'm a Gaiman fanboy, and yet, I still mean it. :)

Don't look for fiction here. Rather, look for the source material and a clear understanding of the Norse mythos as far as we have it. So much has been lost and then, there's a ton of fragments. Alas. But what we do have is quite cool.

My personal favorite was the story of Baldur's murder
Lyn
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hammer of the gods!

A book written by NEIL GAIMAN about NORSE MYTHOLOGY was a book I was going to read. There was no way I was NOT going to read it. Mr. Gaiman might as well have mentioned me in the dedication page “… and of course Lyn must read this.”

And I was going to like it. He could have written “They were blond and cold. The end.” and I’d have said WOW! succinctly stated, he’s a genius!!!

Thankfully Gaiman goes into some more detail and has crafted for us a beautiful modern saga of the coole
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
“Of course it was Loki. It’s always Loki.”

If you ask me this quote is a sufficient summary of the entirety of Norse mythology. *lol* But no one asked me so I’m going to continue to write down a few of my other thoughts. ;-P

- I wish I could have read this before I read Uncle Rick’s “Magnus Chase series” because there were all the details I wanted to know while I read those first two books. XD Also it’s kinda funny that Uncle Rick managed to write some of those stories into the plot of his books.
Katerina
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Katerina by: Eliasdgian
Shelves: fantasy, 2017-reads
In the beginning, there was nothing but mist and flames.
At least, that's what the Edda claims.

I've always been fascinated with Norse Mythology (and with everything ancient in general). With its strong impact on Marvel's movies, metal music and J.R.R. Tolkien, the AllFather of high fantasy, references to the mighty Gods of Asgard, and the impending twilight thereof, are a part of daily life. Neil Gaiman did not invent a story from the start. He had the material, the facts, the descriptions ready.
Petrik
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Norse Mythology beginners
Shelves: owned-ebooks
3.5/5 Stars

Gilgamesh from Mesopotamian religion, Izanagi from Japanese creation myth and Zeus from Greek myth. These are a few popular figures from many mythologies around the globe. I’m here to let you know my thoughts on one of the most popular and well known mythology, Norse Mythology, told by Neil Gaiman with Odin, Thor, and Loki at the center of the lore.

Norse mythology has always been one of the foundations used for most fictional stories in our time. I grew up playing tons of video games
Dan Schwent
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, 2017-books
Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman is a compulsively readable retelling of various myths from Norse Mythology.

Once upon a time, in that hazy prehistoric time before Goodreads, Neil Gaiman was my favorite author. Sandman was the gateway drug but I read all the Gaiman works I could get my hands on: American Gods, Neverwhere, Coraline, Stardust, you get the point. As the years went by, some of the shine wore off that penny. As I explored Gaimain's influences, like P.G. Wodehouse and Ray Bradbury, some
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
First off the cover of this book is amaze balls! I just freaking love it! ❤

Many gods and goddesses are named in Norse mythology. You will meet quite a few of them in these pages. Most of the stories we have, however, concern two gods, Odin and his son Thor, and Odin's blood brother, a giant's son called Loki, who lives with the Aesir in Asgard.

I have always wanted to read a good book on Norse Mythology and I think Neil Gaiman did a great job explaining some things before the stories.

The diffe
Amalia Gavea
"Had Ragnarok happened yet? Was it still to happen?I did not know then.I am not certain now."

*Disclaimer--Offensive comments regarding which country has the “best and most diverse mythology in the world” (yes, there were people actually writing about and fighting over that (!) or comments regarding religion in general will be immediately deleted and flagged. There’s YouTube and Facebook if some want to engage in such nonsense as fighting over thin air….*

Norse myths (aka Odin,Loki,Thor,Freya,th
Paul O'Neill
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic retelling of Norse Myths. Featuring such characters as Odin, Thor and Loki along with a host of other lesser known gods and characters.

Gaiman does his best to stick to the source material and not stray too far from the myths themselves, writing it in his own language which really brings the stories to life. By doing this, Gaiman has written the perfect place to start if you want to learn more about Norse Mythology in my view.

What really added to my enjoyment was that I had rea
Ahmed  Ejaz
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, full-lengths
**Spoiler Free Review**
There is no glory without danger
Before beginning the review, I clear out that I read this book as a fictional work not as the work which I believe can be/is true. I am telling you because this book was getting little serious about narrating these myths. Like trying to make us believe these are real facts.
Now, the actual review:
This book is the re-writing of Norse Mythology. Author doesn't exaggerate the facts. He simply re-writes some of the popular myths in pretty s
Jeffrey Keeten
”The Norse myths are the myths of a chilly place, with long, long winter nights and endless summer days, myths of a people who did not entirely trust or even like their gods, although they respected and feared them. As best we can tell, the gods of Asgard came from Germany, spread into Scandinavia, and then out into the parts of the world dominated by the Vikings…. In English, the gods have left their names in our days of the week. You can find Tyr the one-handed (Odin’s son), Odin, Thor and Fri ...more
Magrat Ajostiernos
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, fantasía
Igual es un poco loco darle 5 ESTRELLAZAS a este libro pero es que lo he disfrutado DEMASIADO.
Este volumen es una manera genial de introducirse en los mitos nórdicos contados de manera super entretenida, ligera, divertida y al mismo tiempo informativa.
Igual influye que amo la mitología nórdica y que amo a Gaiman, pero el caso es que ha sido una lectura de 10 para mi.
¿Dónde hay que votar para que Gaiman escriba más libros sobre leyendas y mitología?
#LOKIFOREVAH
Philip
2.5ish stars

Interesting folklore told competently, descriptively and cleverly. That's about the gist of it.

Most of the stories were new to me. Some of them I enjoyed more than others. All of the blurbs describe this as Gaiman's "version/rendition/interpretation" of the mythos (and he presents a good rendition) rather than actual fiction. As such, this was more of a "that was cool I'm glad I read that" read than a "whoa coolest book ever!" read.

Favorites: The Treasures of the Gods, Freya's Unusu
Em Lost In Books
3.5*. This story collection was fun especially when I kept imagining Tom Hiddleston as Loki.
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
I do not have a strong knowledge of any mythology as a general rule. It's something I've been wanting to remedy for a while, but it's a vast subject.

I've known for a while that Gaiman was working on Norse Mythology (for almost 8 years wowza!), and that many of his stories and characters take inspiration from the Norse tales. So naturally, I pre-ordered this one.

I did enjoy this. It's a selection of tales, mostly focusing on Odin, Loki, and Thor, that all lead up to Ragnarok, the end of the world
Seemita
[Originally appeared here: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/li...]

Of all the fiction in this world, I find the ones rooted in mythology the most enticing; not because there is an element of otherworldly magic in them but because somewhere deep down, a bewitching veil of truth hovers above them. The characters we read of, the prowess we fall to, the betrayals we appall at and the spells we dive in, have all a debatable root which almost like our very own samudra manthan of the Hindu mythology
Bil
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Norse mythology beginners
More like two and a half to three stars. As much as I enjoy reading a collection of myths (even reading them as bedtime stories), this one disappointed me. I am certain that Neil Gaiman has solidified his name as an author of fiction novels but I have only read one book from his collected works so this makes me a Gaiman novice.

Like any mythic fiction, Norse Mythology is rooted from various folklore about natural phenomena symbolized as gods and supernatural creatures. As a kid, I have also had m
Celeste
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full review now posted!

When I was a little girl, I was completely obsessed with mythology. Greek, Roman (or Greek with different names, because Rome was nothing if not unoriginal), Norse, Egyptian, Indian, Native American, Japanese, Russian, etc, were all equally interesting to me. I wanted to know what ancient civilizations believed and why, and how those beliefs still influenced their culture. My faith was important to me and heavily influenced how I viewed the world, so why wouldn’t I be inte
PorshaJo
I have a confession.....Neil Gaiman is my literary crush (well, one of two) and it in no way influences my feelings for this book. Well, maybe it does. I love everything that he writes and this one is no exception. When I saw he had a new book coming out on Norse Mythology I couldn't wait to get it.

Norse Mythology is a series of stories of myths of the Norse Gods. You learn about Odin, Thor, Loki and many others, how they all came to be. You learn of Asgard, the giants, dwarfs, and more. You he
Miranda Reads
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This is my first comprehensive book on Norse Mythology and I was not a huge fan. Everything seems too disconnected. The Gods actions, their reactions, their punishments all don't seem to fit. There wasn't fluidity between one legend and the next - it felt like a bunch of disjointed vignettes featuring the same characters.

But, considering most of my knowledge is bas
Markus
"Do you wonder where poetry come from? Where do we get the songs we sing and the tales we tell? Do you ever ask yourself how it is that some people can dream great, wise, beautiful dreams and pass those dreams on as poetry to the world, to be sung and retold as long as the moon will wax and wane? Have you ever wondered why some people make beautiful songs and poems and tales, and some of us do not?
It is a long story, and it does no credit to anyone: there is murder in it, and trickery, lies and
J.L.   Sutton
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you want to read myths and stories about the gods of Valhalla, Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology is quick, accessible and an entertaining way to delve into the subject. Some of the tales were short and fragmented, but that allows the reader to see the difference between the source material and the way these legends have evolved in the modern day. What really makes this compelling is the fact that Gaiman is such a great storyteller himself. The gods are no longer characters in a superhero universe ...more
Joanne Harris
A clear and child-friendly retelling of the Norse myths (I'm going to review this for The Spectator in the New Year, so I shan't post too many details today): mostly keeping to Snorri's Edda, with some details from the Poetic Edda thrown in. A very classic retelling, with few innovations and a standard structure - and a great introduction to the myths for readers who may not know of them outside of the Marvel universe...

Here's a link to my more detailed Spectator review. http://www.spectator.co.
Leonard Gaya
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eight centuries ago, Snorri Sturluson, one of Iceland’s greatest literary glories, wrote the Prose Edda, a significant source for what is left of the ancient religion of the Vikings, with a medieval Christianity twist. Last year, Neil Gaiman, one of Britain’s most celebrated literary glories, wrote this Norse Mythology, a blockbuster retelling of the ancient religion of the Vikings, with a Marvel superhero’s twist.

While it is not always easy to wrap one’s head around Snorri’s prose, Gaiman’s boo
Gabrielle
So I had made this New Year resolution about not buying new books, because I went a little insane last year and I am running out of shelf space. Predictably, that all went to Hell the moment I saw "Norse Mythology" at the book store… I should make more realistic resolutions, because I really can't resist a new Neil Gaiman book…

I have always been fascinated with mythology. My mother gave me a copy of Robert Graves' "The Greek Myths" when I was a kid, and I must have read it a hundred times; I sub
Hannah
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First things first: I absolutely adore Neil Gaiman (I mean, who doesn't, right?!), so I was already sold on this book when it was announced - and I pre-ordered it shortly after that. So this review will probably not be very impartial, but then again, which of my reviews ever is?

So yes, I liked this a lot; I love mythology of all kind, I love stories told matter-of-factly, especially if the stories told remind me of the fairy tales I read when I was a kid. I know a lot more about Ancient Greece a
Jokoloyo
This book is suitable for introduction of Norse Mythology. The book is pretty short and each story is pretty simple and not too tragic, compared to Norse Mythology that I've read on Mythology: Timeless Tales of Gods and Heroes.

There are two things which fascinates me when reading this book:
1. there is hint about real life culture acculturation in Norse mythology with the story of Vanir and Aesir. When I was a child, I was confused with the concept of two countries of gods had war then made peace
Mentor Texts: Mentor Texts 1 1 May 22, 2019 07:31AM
Play Book Tag: Norse Mythology / Neil Gaiman. 3 stars 1 10 May 17, 2019 07:31PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Norse Mythology [May 2019] 36 52 May 16, 2019 07:39AM
South African Boo...: * Norse Mythology 2 6 May 15, 2019 02:45PM
Around the Year i...: Norse Mythology, by Neil Gaiman 9 85 Apr 27, 2019 09:20PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman - Restarting April 20th 2019 15 98 Apr 24, 2019 07:07PM
Play Book Tag: Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman - 4 stars 1 18 Apr 02, 2019 09:42AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Beowulf: A Translation and Commentary, together with Sellic Spell
  • The Underground Railroad
  • The Norse Myths
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Heroes: Mortals and Monsters, Quests and Adventures
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • The Voyage of the Basilisk (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #3)
  • Loki: Nine Naughty Tales of the Trickster
  • The Kalevala
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Definitive Audio Collection
  • The Woken Gods
  • The Gospel of Loki (Loki, #1)
  • Other Worlds
  • The Fall of Gondolin (Middle-Earth Universe)
“Because,” said Thor, “when something goes wrong, the first thing I always think is, it is Loki’s fault. It saves a lot of time.” 231 likes
“Of course it was Loki. It's always Loki.” 103 likes