Start by marking “Twilight Whispers” as Want to Read:

Twilight Whispers

Will the ties that bound these three families for generations finally tear them apart? New York Timesbestselling author Barbara Delinsky's classic novel Twilight Whispers now available as an e-book for the first time.

Linked for years through friendship and intermarriage, the Warren and Whyte families find their charmed world is marred when Mark Whyte and his wife Deborah W
Published January 30th 2018 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published May 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Twilight Whispers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twilight Whispers

Jeanne
Apr 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the story. Material things must be wonderful to have, but they don't always guarantee happiness.
Judy Churchill
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is another excellent saga of two powerful families. Their successes and tribulations are artfully played out. The life of the elite and privileged may bring negative publicity as well as envy and positive vibes. It is sensitively and beautifully written.
Naomi
Estuvo bien, se lee bastante rápido, es la típica lectura ligera que se puede leer entre otras más densas. El héroe es bastante sexy, la heroína no tanto. La trama es entretenida, nada profundo pero se disfruta.

It was fine, it reads quite fast, it is the typical light reading that can be read among other more dense ones. The hero is pretty sexy, the heroine not so much. The plot is entertaining, not very deep but it is enjoyable at the very least.
☯Lilbookworm☮
A very good book with a good outcome.
Linda
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feet of Clay

An engaging stringing together of seemingly disparate lives into a two family dynasty. A realistic portrayal of the slippery slope that is fame and fortune, but colored with compassion and understanding.
Twobchelm
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
We tend to think powerful and beautiful families have a perfect life, this is a story of two families that deal with many issues. The character development was
Well done giving you insights to each family member.
A good read.
Mary
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First published in 1988, this book has held up very well. In fact it has been rereleased recently. It is part family saga, part love story, part murder mystery/secrets and all well-written.

The story centers around Katia Morrell and Jordan Whyte, the lovers of the story and their family secrets and stories. I found it hard to put down. The best parts of the book are the times Jordan and Katia are together. I thought that Ms. Delinsky did a great job of showing how physical love can enhance the o
Susan McMahon
May 31, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was terrible. Not a murder mystery but a long windy story that did not build any kinship to the characters. Very shallow and juvenile. Only finished the book just to see how badly it was written from finish to ple

OMG. Not a mystery but a poorly written underdeveloped, shallow plot. No building of the characters. I only finished to see if it washed from beginning to end. Yup it was
Doralyn S.
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Twilight Whispers

This was a wonderful suspense book with just enough romance to make it extra interesting. I read this book over three days as I had free time. I never wanted to put it down but had to at times until tonight when I finally got to see how all the pieces of a complicated puzzle came together to make an awesome read. I have been a Delinsky fan for more than 20 years and she does nothing but get better and better.
Claudia
Between 2.5 and 3 stars.
Not a bad read. A bit scattered with all of the characters and the plot lines, some of which are not especially well executed. In particular, the crime and mystery story line is not as gritty as would be expected from a crime/mystery novelist. However, Delinsky is not a crime/mystery novelist and wrote this book in the 80s to push her skills.
The book was likeable, but not especially good.
Kitt O'Malley
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable Romantic Murder Mystery

Truly fun read. The sex scenes kept me up reading until late into the night. My husband had the audacity to interrupt my reading of a particularly steamy scene. I almost bit his head off. Surprised by the conclusion. As the pages neared the end, I had no idea who was the murderer.
Helen
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Took a while to become interested in this book perhaps it was because I purchased it second hand from Amazon and I think it had been housed in somebody's musty old basement. However, I did finish it and it was okay. A let down after reading The Great Alone.
JILL Kaye
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barbara Delinsky masterfully develops the characters and weaves several stories into several plots and ultimately the final plot with twists and turns. My only criticism is that it is a little slow in the first half. Otherwise, I loved it!
Judy
Nov 09, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this on audio book- I got lost did he marry his sister?
Joan K Sellers
I had a hard time reading this. The chapters were long and I fell asleep serval times reading.
Louis Deegan
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The family saga, love story, murder mystery theme keep the action going. Interesting and well written.
Phyllis Dees
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Must read

Good read. Great plot. Entertaining and enjoyable. Holds your interest until the end. Twists turns and surprises. Liked the characters and their bond
Kathy
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great story! I loved that there was family drama, romance and mystery. I did figure out “who” the murderer was quickly but I liked the way the story unfolded and all the pieces fit together.
Denise Link
Ambitious effort and a fun premise, but the plot "twists" are too predictable. The writing is a bit contrived and could use an edit to remove some of the cringe. Characters are pretty one-dimensional and trite. Still, I read the whole thing. Good for vacation, because if you leave it on the plane or drop it in the pool, you won't care--you pretty much know what's going to happen, anyway, and it's not like you get attached to the characters.
Barbara Prest
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, especially after memorizing all the characters and their significant roles. The author had no problem in guiding the reader to either favor a character or not, and always promoting her female characters. The mystery murder part draws you in from the beginning chapter to the last, leaving room for the reader's opinions on who and why. I found myself wanting to explore the long list of other novels Barbara Delinsky has written.
Louise
Mar 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-s-fiction
"Katia Morrell grew up amid wealth, sharing the idyllic childhood enjoyed by America's aristocracy without ever really being one of them. As daughter of the housekeeper to the powerful Warren family, she never truly belonged. Now she is back at the Warren mansion, hoping to see the man she always loved, Jordan Whyte, heir to the Whyte fortune. The occasion is the mysterious deaths of Jordan's brother and his brother's wife. Now chic and rich in her own right, Katia returns feeling strong. But on ...more
Nicholas Whyte

This is a throbbing sensual romance about the serving girl who falls in love with the prince, set among America's East Coast aristocracy, involving also a murder mystery which is resolved by a caring and sensitive police detective who violates all credible investigative routine to do so. There is much flashbacking to the mid-20th century (the book was written and set in 1988). I got hold of it for the totally spurious reason that one of the characters, d
Pauline
Early work but it's easy to see the writing that would develop in later stories. When Mark and Debra of the famous White and Warren families are murdered, Bob Cavanaugh is assigned the investigation by his boss Jack Ryan who both have axes to grind with these famous families. When Bob's investigation is pushed along by Ryan in certain directions, he is urged to close the case quickly by indicting Mark's brother. This is my main complaint with the story in that even if it was written in the 80's, ...more
Ann Gallo
intriguing mystery, a light quick read
Kendra
Feb 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barbara Delinsky isn't a crime novelist and it's probably a good thing. Twilight Whispers is a romance novel that delves into the crime genre and not smoothly. Early on it's easy to see who the culprit is and you spend the rest of the story waiting for the characters to see it as well.

But Twilight Whispers is a fun read, nonetheless. The backstory on the Whytes and the Warrens was intriguing. I almost wish she'd written an entire saga starting from the beginning. It'd be an instant bestseller an
Melissa
Started 10-13-10
Finished 10-24-10

A little mystery, a little family saga and a little love story all rolled into one early novel by Barbara Delinsky. While good, it showed her novice abilities as a writer but also the potential for future work. Prominent families struggling with murder and scandal and two young people destined to be together but held back by a secret. All the makings for a good story. Easy to read and some very likeable characters.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
This story reminded me of the movie Sabrina, the original one with Audrey Hepburn in it. It was well written and the ending is as expected. I fear this is the last one by Ms. Delinsky for me. While her writing style is very good, her storylines don't pull me in and I don't particularly care for her characters. It's me, not her.
MarQuinta  Moore
It had a interesting plot, but the end of the mystery was not as great as you thought it would be. Also there was so much going on, the murder mastery, the love story, the flash backs of the different families, plus trying to figure out all of the characters, it was just way to much and got a little confusing.
Nikki
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have no idea why this book was called Twilight Whispers as it had nothing to do with that. But the story was interesting if not a little old, technology wise. The back story was a little confusing and more formatting to indicate the flashbacks would have been good. But I got used to it, so overall not a bad read.
Pat
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a book you look forward to turning the "page". i listened to it on tape, which in my opinion brings more life to the story! there are some parts which are truly unrealistic, but then what is stranger than life?

• The Night Remembers
  • Wrath of the Lion
  • Beyond Belief
  • Lost In The Mist Of Time
  • Legacy Of Lies
  • Softly and Tenderly (Songbird, #2)
  • The Mango Tree and Other Stories
  • The Space Between Before and After
  • Between Friends
  • Plant Life
  • Wicked Eddies (An RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery #2)
  • Post Grad
  • Sun Kisses, Moon Hugs
  • Temptation
  • Noah's Petting Zoo
  • NYPD Red 2 -- Free Preview -- The First 16 Chapters
  • Crown Jewel
  • Played (Deception Series, #2)
I was born and raised in suburban Boston. My mother’s death, when I was eight, was the defining event of a childhood that was otherwise ordinary. I took piano lessons and flute lessons. I took ballroom dancing lessons. I went to summer camp through my fifteenth year (in Maine, which explains the setting of so many of my stories), then spent my sixteenth summer learning to type and to drive (two sk ...more
“he shot her a dry, sidelong glance. “The phones started” 0 likes