Start by marking “Turn of the Cards (Wild Cards, #12)” as Want to Read:
Turn of the Cards (Wild Cards, #12)

Turn of the Cards (Wild Cards #12)

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  499 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Pursued by the CIA, the DEA, and the Wild Card mistress of the winds, Mistral, renegade biochemist Mark Meadows uses the three personalities buried in his psyche in order to outwit his pursuers.
Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Published January 1st 1993 by Spectra

To ask other readers questions about Turn of the Cards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turn of the Cards

The Shayne-Train
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'll start by saying that this has been my least favorite of the Wild Card books so far. That surprised me, as it's basically a Cap'n Trips novel, and he's one of my favorites. But it was slow going, and at times downright boring as hell.

That being said, the last quarter of the book changed the anticipated two-star rating I had planned to its current four-star. Exhilarating action coupled with, I think, the most satisfactory ending in the series thus far, completely changed my outlook.

All is for
Jareed
Mar 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Let me start off by saying that the wild card series has a way of endearing itself to its readers considering the volume and extent to which the series has grown. Of course, the finesse of workmanship that goes with the series captivates one in further picking up the next book in the series, and that is how, I find myself writing a review for the series in this twelfth book.

The continuity by which the series' has been riddled with can be said to be one its strength and yet it too is the source
Colateral Damage
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book takes so long to get good. The end of the book is quite an upswing and the final scene on the runway was great but it took far too long to get there. The first third of the book is pretty much a fugitive on the run. The side story with Mistral (Helene Carlysle) can almost be thrown away, though I'm sure we'll see the tail end of that in time, the Wild Cards series has a way of doing that. Though I do have to concede that it does serve to bring character to J. Robert Belew and show us t ...more
Glen U
Oct 29, 2016 rated it liked it
"Turn of the Cards" is the 12th book in the Wild Card series edited by George R.R. Martin. It continues its alternative history viewpoint, making use of real events that happened along the way, adding a superhero or two, and creating an entirely new scenario to follow. This book takes place in the early 1990's in Vietnam. It differs from the other Wild Card efforts, in that it was written in its' entirety by Victor Milan. Most of the previous Wild Card stories were a compendium of different auth ...more
Kruunch
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
Turn of the Cards centers around the return of Mark Meadows to Earth and the resulting hunt for him from Amsterdam, through the middle east and finally culminating in his improbable leadership of the Free Peoples of Vietnam.

While I wanted to really like this book as it delves deep int0 Mark Meadows' "friends" and their interconnection, the book was just so improbable and the explanations of the "friends" so shallow that in the end this book almost made me give up on the series as I've felt that
Robert
Jan 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Overall, I thought this book was lackluster compared to the others in the series thus far. It started off strong, but about halfway through it devolved into a pantheon of acronyms, disjointed narrative, and a monotonous stroll through Capt. Trips' inner turmoils. In the end, I felt happy to be done with it, rather than wanting to learn more as I have with the previous books. Also, a contributor to my dissatisfaction was the really poor editing, or perhaps lack of any editing.
Craig
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it
This twelfth Wild Cards book was the last of the original editions published by Bantam. It's another single-author narrative, this time by Victor Milan focusing on the character of Captain Trips, and while it's a well-written piece I always felt the strength of the series was the multi-author mosaics with multiple storylines running simultaneously. This one takes a while to really get going, but does conclude with a fast-paced and satisfying wrap-up.
Theresa
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review

Turn of the Cards (Wild Cards, #12)
Milán, Victor *
Review: Turn of the Cards, it took a long time to get into this story, I have no love of playing soldiers and slogging through Vietnam jungle was more boring than anything which I guess happened to the soldiers all the time... but near the end the meaning of the story comes through, as the lessons of the wild card series comes through.
Charl
Jan 07, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: quit
I've just never gotten into Meadows/Capt. Trips' character. He always strikes me as just a whiner who never stands up for himself, and I'm not interested enough in him to finish the book and see if that ever changes.
AndrewP
Oct 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Better than the previous one I read, but inconsistent stories.
Drsilent
Dec 27, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: powers
Nothing special about this one... It does get a little long at times. Read it mostly to know the details if the backstory which is hinted at in more recent books.
bluetyson
isbn,original
Eric Bauman
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2013
Easily the least of the series to date.
Steven Morton
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting book, slow but once again any focus on Trips I enjoy.
Jane Doe
Feb 12, 2012
  • The Button Man and the Murder Tree
  • George R.R. Martin's Wild Cards: The Hard Call
  • Who Can Save Us Now?: Brand-New Superheroes and Their Amazing (Short) Stories
  • Off the Wall at Callahan's (Callahan's Series Excerpts and Quotes)
  • Turning Points (Thieves' World, 2nd Series, #2)
  • Towers of Darkover (Darkover Series)
  • Legion of Super-Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga
  • Uneasy Alliances (Thieves' World, #11)
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Vol. 13 (The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, #13)
  • Winds of Change (The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #3)
  • Divine Right (Merovingen Nights, #5)
  • Hero (Metsada Mercenary Corps, #4)
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • アクセル・ワールド 2 -紅の暴風姫- [Akuseru Wārudo 2: Kurenai no Bōfūki] (Accel World Light Novel, #2: The Crimson Storm Princess)
  • Under the Moons of Mars: New Adventures on Barsoom
  • Heroes: Volume Two
George R.R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

More about George R.R. Martin...

Wild Cards (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Wild Cards (Wild Cards, #1)
  • Aces High (Wild Cards, #2)
  • Jokers Wild (Wild Cards, #3)
  • Aces Abroad (Wild Cards, #4)
  • Down and Dirty (Wild Cards, #5)
  • Ace in the Hole (Wild Cards, #6)
  • Dead Man's Hand (Wild Cards, #7)
  • One-Eyed Jacks (Wild Cards, #8)
  • Jokertown Shuffle (Wild Cards, #9)
  • Double Solitaire (Wild Cards, #10)