Start by marking “The Sweet Smell of Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Sweet Smell of Christmas

The Sweet Smell of Christmas

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  656 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
It's time to celebrate the sights and smells of Christmas in this classic scratch-and sniff book. Join Little Bear as he prepares for the holidays, all the while giving readers a chance to smell six wonderful scents including apple pie, christmas tree, hot chocolate, and more! This delectable treat is a perfect way for families to spend the yuletide season.
Published September 23rd 2003 by Golden Books (first published July 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about The Sweet Smell of Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sweet Smell of Christmas

Nicole Pramik
This simple, fun little tale about a bear family at Christmas was a much-requested Yultide story of mine as a child. As proof, the scratch and sniff portions were worn out long before I passed childhood.(The gingerbread and peppermint scratch-and-sniffs were my favorites, so they "died" first!) The colorful illustrations, "interactive" nature of the scratch-and-sniff stickers, and cheery story will be sure to delight young readers as well as parents. Happy to see this is still in print!
Jen
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas
Absolutely my favorite Christmas book from when I was a kid. The scratch and sniff stickers in my original copy are all completely scratched to heck and back, but just bringing the book up to my nose now brings back a flood of memories with the ghost of the scent. For a moment, I remember what it felt like to be a kid at Christmas time. Five, huge, nostalgic stars.
Calista
Very fond memories of this book. When this book came out of storage, the Christmas season began.

Scratch and sniff. After 40 years the book has lost its smell. Luckily, my niece and nephew have a new one for their life and the smells are all new. It's like reading in 3D.
Suzanne LaFleur
This was one of my favorite Christmas books when I was little. Today I was happy to spot it on the bookshelf of a two-year-old I was visiting, and we read it together...when she woke up from her nap, we had to read it again! Her teddy bear took turns smelling the stickers, too. The book definitely stands up to my memories, even outside of the holiday season. So much fun to share.
Samuel
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read the book "The Sweet Smell of Christmas," by Patricia Scarry. This book was a good book, and it was fun to read.

Plot- The plot starts with Little Bear and his family getting ready for Christmas. First they make a pie, then they get a Christmas tree. Next, his family decorates and trims the tree, followed by making gingerbread men. After that, Little bear and his family go Christmas caroling and then come back and go to bed because tomorrow is Christmas. Finally, Christmas morning has arriv
Cindi
Dec 14, 2008 rated it liked it
A book that welcomes the sweet nostalgia of the scents that are usually present at Christmas-time. My complaint about owning the book is that the scents for scratch and sniff are long gone (while a different book I've owned since I was a kid still has its scents).
Emily
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Susan (susayq ~)
Dec 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My all time favorite Christmas book from my childhood. My hubby bought me a new copy and gave it to me today as an early Christmas gift :)
PageTurner
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I adored scratch-n-sniff books as a child. Where did they all go? I need to get some for my kids:)
Kenson and kirra
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this book was fun. it has scratch and sniff stickers in it. it was funny to watch my family all take turns smelling the book. i liked the chocolate one.
AnnaGrace
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Probably my favorite Christmas book of all time. So thankful for moments to just read something that brings back memories.
Katie Fitzgerald
This review also appears on my blog, Read-at-Home Mom.

This scratch and sniff book was originally published in 1970, and is still in print. Each page shows a warm and homey Christmas scene of a little bear boy at home with his family. Colored circles on certain objects - pine tree, candy cane, orange, pie, etc. - can be scratched and then sniffed to discover a holiday smell. I was young enough when this book was first read to me that I can't actually remember a time before it, and even without th
Rosemary Sullivan
My mother saved this book for me (well the version before the 2003 reissue), rescuing it from our dark, dreary family basement. It is a book that I read when I was little. Now, it is part of my collection of holiday books. I believe it was given to my older sister originally. It has pen and ink scribbles on it and a page seems to be missing, but the beauty of it remains - the comforting scenes of Little Bear preparing for Christmas with his family. The scent has long since faded from the fragran ...more
Shayla
May 06, 2015 rated it liked it
This book is about a young bear experiencing Christmas. It’s a scratch and sniff book, so the bear takes you through all his favorite smells of Christmas.
I love this book, because it is so interactive. The pictures have a lot of yellow in them, so the book is inviting and warm to the readers. The bears are cute and not scary, so that is inviting as well. And it is amazing to learn about all the smells of Christmas.
I would use this book with my children. If they are just starting to read or can’
Kimberly
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
This Christmas book had sweet illustrations and a cute little story about a young bear eager for Christmas to get there. It follows him and his family and their Christmas traditions. The kids kept interested in the story even though the book was not a quick read, it helped that almost every other page had a sniff and smell to keep them into the story.
Amy
Dec 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childrens
This was my favorite Christmas book as a kid and was so excited when it was republished a few years back. Now I love reading it with my kids. However, the printing quality must not be as good as the scents in the book have never worked very well. I have had to improvise (ie. cutting slits in an orange peel and rubbing it on the orange page, etc.)
Alexandria
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is a really cute journey through the days leading up to Christmas and all the wonderful scents that accompany them. It's a scratch and sniff, so some of the charm is lost when the stickers lose their smell. But if you can find replacements, the magic can keep on going!
Karen
Dec 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
Little Bear helps with the Christmas preparations and each task has its own scent of Christmas. My children loved this book and though the scratch & sniff portion has long since worn away, the memories remain making it almost possible to smell all the scents of Christmas.
Emily
Jun 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is my all-time favorite children's book. I had this book growing up and have very fond memories of it. When they re-released it a few years back, I bought it for every young child I know.
Tanner Bargren
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Katie Casey
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-kids
Remember reading this as a kid! Micah's first scratch-n-sniff book! :-)
Dec 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I still read this book at Christmas. And even though it is about 35+ years old, some of the scents still smell. The hot chocolate is my favorite scent in the book.
Liz
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My one year old loves smelling the pages.
Carolyn
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My favorite Christmas book as a child!
Juliette
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to, year-2, own
Christmas 2013 gift from my Granmamá and Granddaddy!
Lindsay Wolsey
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite Christmas books as a child.
Kathryn
Nov 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A childhood favorite!!!
Diane Wachter
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile, christmas
Patricia Scarry, Children's story book about a little bear who sniffs the fragrances of Christmas. Cute for little ones.
Amanda
Jan 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I almost forgot I read and love this book...
Kim
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very cute book about experiencing the sights and smells of Christmas. We enjoyed scratching a sniffing the different scent stickers throughout the book.
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • You Can Do It, Sam
  • Santa's Favorite Story
  • Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert
  • Bear's First Christmas
  • Peter Spier's Christmas!
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
  • The Biggest, Most Beautiful Christmas Tree
  • Drummer Boy
  • Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
  • The Spirit of Christmas
  • The Jolly Christmas Postman
  • Frosty the Snowman
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • Angelina's Christmas