Start by marking “This Does Not Leave This House” as Want to Read:
This Does Not Leave This House

This Does Not Leave This House

How does a little girl survive an abusive mother, Catholic school, rape, and a near-death experience?

Raised by an abusive, narcissistic mother (who once tried to trick her into having an abortion), Julie Coons was also raped in college by a stranger and later married an abusive man who threatened to kill her if she ever tried to leave.

Suffering from physical and mental
Published January 9th 2018

To ask other readers questions about This Does Not Leave This House, please sign up.
Julie Coons Yes, it pretty much does. It doesn't cover the last 10 years in depth, but it is a memoir about my life. I apologize for not answering this sooner. I…moreYes, it pretty much does. It doesn't cover the last 10 years in depth, but it is a memoir about my life. I apologize for not answering this sooner. I just now saw the question. I am still learning my way around goodreads so please forgive me. I never want to make anyone wait for an answer.
Julie(less)
Julie Coons I think so. I had to give this a lot of thought before answering. I write a lot about my high school years with my friends however I do write about a…moreI think so. I had to give this a lot of thought before answering. I write a lot about my high school years with my friends however I do write about a rape I experienced in College. But, I didn't go too deep into any kind of graphic description about the rape. I would let my teenager read it. Thank you for your question and I apologize for letting so much time go by before I answered it. (less)
Steve Jobs by Walter IsaacsonUnbroken by Laura HillenbrandEinstein by Walter IsaacsonInto the Wild by Jon KrakauerJohn Adams by David McCullough
Best Biographies
1,146 books — 2,475 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsI Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya AngelouEat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertPersepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Memoirs by Women
2,361 books — 2,643 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of This Does Not Leave This House
Vishnu Chevli
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-vimmy
Overall Verdict:- A silver lining of a dark journey

“This Does Not Leave This House” is the autobiography of Julie Coons where she survives child mistreatment, parental slander, brutal rape, marital exploitation, life-threatening diseases and a lot more; all this time holding herself for her daughter Stephanie until she finally breaks the vicious cycle of abuse with the hope that she inspires others to do the same.

For Julie Coons’ well inspiring autobiography, my overall rating would be 4/5.

Vanessa (The Bookish Deer)
4/5 stars. A very hard, important and impactful read. Everyone should read this book, Julie's testimony of abuse and rape, among other topics, is guaranteed to move you in some way.
Full review on my blog
Charisse
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great Read

Such an honest look at a young woman’s struggles that she didn’t define her. Breaking a dysfunctional cycle with a great attitude.
Jewel Hart
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent nonfiction read. I loved how brutally honest author Julie Coons is in the reteling of her life. She was unwanted and abused. This is a very inspirational read as she tells how she overcomes the negative emotions and the things that molded her life. This is one of the better memoirs. I recommend it to all women that love books about real life drama and triumph.
Julie Coons
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is a story about my life. I wrote it to inspire positive change in the world. I’m hoping to encourage others to want to end the cycle of abuse in their own families. I’m also hoping to help other victims heal through my story. This is a raw, poignant and secret revealing memoir written to start a movement to break the silence of abuse and end its vicious cycle.
carol stiefel
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful

This was a wonderful book with a powerful message.I would recommend this to anyone looking for a way out.So moving
Theresa Smith
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thank you for the free copy of this book from Goodreads Giveaway. I struggled to get through this book. There are many cliches and generalizations in the writing. My heart breaks for her suffering and I hope she finds peace.
Sherrie Ross
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Decent book of a story of survival of abuse.

I give this book a 3 star rating because, in my opinion, it seems like the author wanted to have a certain number of pages and in order to achieve that goal she repeats so many stories and phrases over and over again. There was no good detailed account of the abuse in any chronological order. The story jumped from being a child to a college student to an adult to a mother back and forth throughout the entire book. She"disowned" her abusive mother time
Frank Frisson
May 23, 2018 rated it liked it
There is more to the title of Julie Coons’s memoir This Does Not Leave This House. Growing up, she used to hear those words a lot. I personally know the effect abusive words can have on a person’s mind and the damage that words can really do. Coons starts readers off with two really disparaging sentences being spoken to her. “Your father never wanted you” and “I wish you had died at birth”. Convinced by a legitimate spiritual medium, Coons went on to write a book in the hopes that she will be ...more
Liz
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Heart wrenching story! Page turner, as I was so intrigued to learn more about how you overcame your experiences. Reading this story has even gotten me to think about the possibility to write my story.
Ella James
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent memoir. Very touching and endearing. What this woman had to overcome is horrendous. This book is filled with emotion. One of the best memoirs I have ever read. JBS
Aimee Ann
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This Does Not Leave This House is a moving, poignant and inspiring story courtesy of the author Julie Coons who throughout her book narrates the story of her life and what the readers reads is eye-opening as well as incredibly moving. The journey the reader is taken on is emotional, sometimes upsetting but inspiring one that will move and touch its readers from start to finish.

This Does Not Leave This House is an enlightening, honest, and incredible memoir/self-help book courtesy of an
Hiren Samtani
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A silver lining of a dark journey

A 1970’s album like cover, a colophon describing the author’s journey from torment to recovery.
I didn’t knew Julie Coons and I was sceptical of what was to come (The title had two “This”’ after all).

“This Does Not Leave This House” is the autobiography of Julie Coons where she survives child mistreatment, parental slander, brutal rape, marital exploitation, life threatening diseases and a lot more; all this time holding herself for her daughter Stephanie until
Alicia Walker
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Thank you so much Julie Coons for writing your book. It has inspired me to try harder to "change my ways". You and your story are an inspiration to me. Life is certainly hard. Staying positive is challenging at times however in your book you emphasized "breaking the cycle" and I am determined to not act like my mother. My husband constantly let's me know when I am. Having a narcissistic parent is not fun. You have helped me realize that I can change- no matter how hard it may be.. I used to ...more
Ally Fox
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Better than some of these type of books

BUT....
whilst the author obviously did not have the best childhood/ early adulthood, I have certainly read stories about people who have experienced a lot worse. Not that the above makes the book rubbish, nor am I trying to rubbish the authors feelings.
It's just that the book is in no way written in chronological order of her life and this makes it hard going as the timeline jumps around all over the place making the message the author wants to get across
Azura
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Less than a year ago, I found this book on the shelf at Covenant House CA a shelter where I used to live at (And ultimately saved my life). Julie's book, This Does Not Leave This House, was donated and signed by Julie herself. Firstly, for someone to go to great lengths to donate their book for others to be inspired by, is humbling. From start to finish I couldn't put down this book. Her story of abuse and overcoming tragedies captivates you from the start. I read the entire thing and took down ...more
Kate
Oct 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Did the author have an editor?

The writing is not good, unless you’re in the 6th grade. The story jumps all over the place and It’s not even a compelling story - just victim-hood. The author likes to tell us what a great Mother she is but all the while giving her deeply disturbed Mother constant access to her daughter for her entire life. She tells the readers that she Does this because she wanted the fantasy of a family, (give her daughter the grandparents she never had), even if that means
Jessica Morgan
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
First of all I'd like to thank the author for sending me a free copy of her book, addressed by hand, inside front cover personalized, along with a beautiful thank you note that was hand written. I give this book 4 stars because of how brave the author was to write about and share such deep emotional experiences she has had throughout her life. Many people, men and women alike, will most likely be able to empathize with her, if not just relate or connect. I will admit some of the stories/chapters ...more
Cheryle Tebor
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Best book I've ever read!!!!

This book....oh my goodness!! AMAZING!! I just now finished this book and as I sit here trying to write this review I am seriously at a loss for words. It was so powerful, maybe because I can relate to nearly all she went through. Julie Coons is my hero!
If you were unfortunate enough to have a narcissistic mother, this book is a MUST READ! I had to stop and read, through my own tears, parts of this book to my husband because I was so moved.
If you have lived a life
Linda
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's hard to find words to review this book..Julie's mother was so similar to my own..growing up I was the one who didn't want things to leave the house..I just wanted the outside world to think my world was "normal"...but unlike Julie..I even today at 71 years of age..my daughters are 52 and 49..even though I broke the cycle..they have no idea what that was..because I never told them..I didn't want them to know how much ugliness there was in their own family..so Julie..you are a hero..I'm going ...more
Ashton Nance
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
One of the things that bothered me most about this book is that the author often repeated the same thing, with almost the exact same wording, multiple times throughout the book. It often felt like the author was regurgitating the same information to feel empty space. While I was touched by what the author endured, I didn’t feel a strong emotional connection to the story as I have with other memoirs of abuse. Much of the book felt like fluff, and took away from what could have been a powerful ...more
Wayne Jackson
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one well-written and emotional book! And what makes it even more unique is that it is a true story! It makes you ask yourself questions that you probably never thought about... It makes you think over about your relationship with your friends, family, kids... It makes you want to be a better person!
I would highly recommend it to everyone who wants to read something worth it, to everyone who enjoy quality writing!
Alma
Oct 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
The author said she put herself “out there” in this tell-all book about her horrible childhood and equally horrible adulthood, but her rollercoaster emotions towards herself and others, her constant repetitions and rehashing of the same stories, and her lack of chronology as she jumped all over the place in the book quickly got tiresome. Read the rest of the review on my blog: https://shouldireaditornot.wordpress....
Liz Walker
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lot of hope

The truth of this type of abuse comes from the survivors, not a textbook written by someone who has never experienced it. She stopped the cycle of abuse. She left the victim role behind instead of using it as an excuse to stay stuck and repeat the cycle. Although my story is different I have also survived this type of abuse. It brings hope to ones still trying to escape. It can be done.
bruce
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
My thoughts

I found this book helpful to me because I lived with an abusive stepfather. He died nearly two years ago and although I felt cheated that he did not have to answer for his behaviour, I am able to think of him with compassion because he was an unhappy person up to the day he died at age 89.
My two sisters and I have different ways of dealing with this but have been able to talk about him. Counselling would have helped!
Dianne McMahan
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very good book about a girl growing up in the 60's with parents who were abusive and she was told almost daily
"This Does Not Leave This House."
When I read the title of the book,I knew I had to read it,as I too,heard those words for most of my growing up yrs.
If you were a child of the 50's or 60's,before or after and grew up in a dysfunctional household,you owe it to yourself to read this book.
You can break the vicious cycle,I did !
S.
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read Julie Cooons book once through. I identified and understood every situation she writes. Uncomfortable or not my life experiences were different. However the pain I felt brought up emotions and unearthed traumas I never dealt with before. I picked up her book the other day and read it again.

Juiles book is informative as a memoir would be. Heartfelt and poignant. The take away is her mission to help understand abuse not only for herself, but many others. Thank you and I applaud your
Jo
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a true story. I find it hard to believe that someone would continue to allow some of the behavior--but never having been in that situation, I don't know. I admire that she did stop the cycle of abuse and that her daughter and grand-daughter received such love from her. I did find the last chapter where she gives advice to those in a similar situation enlightening.
Brooke Martin
Dec 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Eh So so

I really enjoyed the first hand story about how the author lived through and survived abuse but then the complete plot twist with spirits and demons totally lost my interest. Kinda ruined the book for me. Also wasn't a fan of how the time line jumped around but i could put up with that.
Tammi Reed
Sep 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty good

I didn't like how information from previous chapters was repeated in later chapters. The book was good, informative and interesting. The author truly opened her heart and soul sharing heartbreaking stories.
And I truly share her sentiment that change can happen one person at a time.
Good read.

• My Nightmare in Georgia (Based on A True Story)
  • Nobody believed me: A harrowing true story of abuse survival
  • A Nickel In My Shoe
  • An Only Child and Her Sister: A Memoir
  • BEHIND CLOSED DOORS: A Daughter's Story
  • The Kilkenny Incest Case
  • Storkbites: A Memoir
  • Battered: The Monster Among Us (Toxic Thoughts Book 1)
  • Not Taylor Made: A little girl's story of abuse, madness, and chaos that couldn't consume her spirit.
  • DEMONS AND WHISPERS: A MEMOIR OF ABUSE
  • Charlie's Pond
  • The Girl in the Treehouse: A Memoir
  • My Daddy the Pedophile: A Memoir
  • Dark Secret: The Complete Story: The True Account of What Happened to Little Alex Suleski
  • White Butterfly: A True Story
  • The Fear of the Blow: A Young Woman's Gut-Wrenching True Story of Child Abuse, Domestic Violence, Alcoholism and Redemption
  • Call Me Cockroach
JULIE COONS lives in a small town in Oregon. THIS DOES NOT LEAVE THIS HOUSE was her debut memoir. Amy's bookshelf reviews awarded it the #1 position for top 10 books of 2018. Her second book WHY SHE LIED is based on a true story. Her books are written to lead a movement toward positive change. She tells the stories of her life with honesty and strength.
If you wish to connect, ask a question, or
“Take life as it happens, but make it happen the way you want to take it.” 0 likes
“I strongly believe that forgiveness is something you give yourself, not the person whom you are forgiving.” 0 likes