Start by marking “Crook's Hollow” as Want to Read:

Crook's Hollow

In the quiet village of Crook’s Hollow, almost exactly between Manchester and Liverpool, land and pride are king.

Published March 29th 2018 by Black Rose Writing

To ask other readers questions about Crook's Hollow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crook's Hollow

Start your review of Crook's Hollow
Arah-Lynda
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This story has great bones.

Someone is trying to kill Thor Loxley, the youngest and recently estranged son of the Loxley farming dynasty. He has just had a narrow escape, is licking his wounds, struggling with the weight of what’s happening and seeking comfort in the arms of his girlfriend Roisin.

The Loxleys of Crook's Hollow have a long running feud with the only other major landowner in the area, the Crooks, who are Roisin’s family.

In this small, rural Englis
Debra
Shelves: netgalley
Crook's Hollow should be a quiet little town located between Manchester and Liverpool. It's a small town really, the kind where you either know everyone or you are related to them. The kind of town where everyone knows your name (and your business). This can be a good thing, and this can be a bad thing.

For Thor, it is not a good thing. Someone is trying to kill him. He has no idea why. True, he is basically estranged from his family, but he still has family members who speak to him.
Cd Rodden
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This book was won in the Give-Aways through GoodReads.

As an American reading about descriptions of the English countryside, it is sometimes difficult to imagine things as others might. Some cultural items are the same round the world (the ever present drunk at the bar stool) while others are known regionally or by folks who are just well read.

Attempted murder in a small town seems like a premise that would lend itself to a worldwide audience. For the most part, this does. The idea o
Anne
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is everything I love about a book. It’s gritty, totally absorbing and kept me turning the pages, even when I should have been doing other things!

It’s set in a country village in modern day but it has a ‘Lord of the manor’ feel to it. It’s far from historical, however; a bang up to date, contemporary thriller.

I totally related to Thor from the first pages. I cared about what happened to him and wanted to know more. The plot kept me guessing and didn’t disappoint.

More please Mr Parker!
Ben
Apr 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a ebook copy of " Crook's Hollow" to read and review.
The book hits the ground running with the hero, Thor Loxley, being assaulted by unnamed thug is a farm field near his home. The assault ends with him nearly being mown down by a harvester/ combine which would have been an end to him.
Action is the hallmark of this book. Something is always happening to Thor. The story reminded me of those Saturday afternoon matinee westerns: a long-standing feud between two families the reason
Col
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, p
Synopsis/blurb......

And now someone has just tried to kill Thor Loxley – but Thor has no clue as to why. As the estranged youngest of the omnipresent Loxley farming dynasty, all of whom view him as a traitorous turncoat, in a village where everybody knows everybody else’s business, life is hard enough.

But here, farmers do things the old way. You dea
Meegy
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great book. The story had me gripping on the edge of my seat. Not knowing who was behind everything and then the big twist of who it was and why! Was just an excellent read. Thank you.
Pat Welte
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book, characters that I cared about. Lots of twists and turns with many surprises. Fast paced story. A family drama with action and very exciting. This is an author that I will continue to read.
I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for an opportunity to read an early copy for an honest review.
James Stuart
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having read Parker’s debut(The excellent A Wanted Man, check it out if you haven’t) I was massively excited for his next offering. Crooks Hollow does not disappoint.

A fast paced, rural mystery centred around a land dispute and long running feud which has got well out of hand.

Parker has crafted a page turning narrative that cracks along at a wicked pace. Parker certainly puts his hero, Thor through the wringer as the twists and turns pile up, until the shocking final revea
David Harris
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I'm grateful for an advance copy of Crook's Hollow for review.

I wasn't sure exactly what to expect when reading Crook's Hollow - a thriller, a crime novel or possibly something a bit folk-weird? In fact it's firmly the former, focussing on Thor Loxley, the youngest member of a farming dynasty in the eponymous Hollow. "You should have got on with it" he keeps being told as various ingeniously engineered attempts on his life are made.

But what should he have "got on with"? ...more
Gordon Mcghie
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Crook’s Hollow releases on 29 March 2018 and I recommend getting it ordered as soon as you can.

I have mentioned more than once that I love a small town story. Usually there are secrets to be uncovered but sometimes there are small town rivalries and feuding families and the town becomes a powder keg with the reader waiting for someone to light the fuse…that’s Crook’s Hollow.

There are secrets too. The biggest secret as far as Thor Loxley is concerned is that someone is try
Fictionophile
If you like a fast-pasted read, then look no further. The break-neck pace began with the first page and didn't let up until the last.

Thor Loxley was a likeable fellow, and his dire predicament caused the reader to be interested in how he was going to extricate himself from it. And WHO and WHY someone wanted him dead.

The suspense carried on throughout the book, but the plot was just a bit too 'over the top' for my personal taste. Thor was just too resilient, the action jus
RJ
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Though estranged from his family for two years, Thornton Loxley is self-sufficient, working at the local pub. He enjoys the kindness of his immigrant landlords in the small village of Crook’s Hollow.

His girlfriend, Roisin, lives nearby in what the English call a caravan – and Thor visits her quite discretely. He must do so because she is a member of the Crook family, and the Crooks are bitter rivals to Thor's own Loxley clan. Of course, like the Hatfields and McCoys, each takes care of its own.
Karina
May 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Someone is trying to kill Thorn Loxley,the estranged youngest son of a farmer's dynasty. And the they try again and he decides to deal with this ordeal all by himself. This rural community is somewhat in turmoil,There are developers on the horizon and Thorn owns the deeds to a piece of land that is needed so this company can create a housing estate. The other grounds are owned by another farmer's dynasty, the Crook family and needless to say,they are at daggers drawn. And so the attempts to murd ...more
Karina
Someone is trying to kill Thorn Loxley,the estranged youngest son of a farmer dynasty. And then they try again and he decides to deal with this ordeal all by himself. This rural community is somewhat in turmoil.There are developers on the horizon and Thorn owns the deeds to a piece of land that is needed so this company can create a housing estate. The other grounds are owned by another farmer dynasty, the Crook family and needless to say,they are at daggers drawn. And so the attempts to murder ...more
A Silent Bookworm (Jessica Parker)
I received a Kindle edition of this book through a Goodreads Giveaway.

Also, I am not related to the author.

This was a great fast paced book. I loved the twists in the plot, and there are plot twists aplenty. I started this book late last night, but had I started it earlier today, I would have finished it in one sitting. I am looking forward to more books from this author.

I read this book as part of the PopSugar Reading Challenge 2018 - A book by an author with
Jud Hanson
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Crook’s Hollow is the kind of village where everyone knows everyone else and some residents bear more influence than others. The Loxleys and Crooks are two such families and they don’t particularly like each other. It is therefore the Crooks that Thor Loxley first thinks of when he is nearly killed one night by a masked person driving a piece of farm machinery. While Thor tries to determine who might want to kill him, he learns that the Town Council is considering allowing developers to build 15 ...more
Ken Cook
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well crafted novel

I received this eBook from Goodreads as a result of a drawing. No compensation was transferred for its receipt or for this review.

I was just blown away by the finale. So well written and developed, the Romeo-and-Juliet nature of the romance between the protagonist Thor and his neighbor Roisin had me pulling for them right up to the final flood. Small village northern England thoroughly described so you felt the grimness and grime. Several brilliant turns of phra
Amy
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways-won
This just isn't my kind of book. I started and stopped it several times. I do not like to DNF books, and being that I won this in a giveaway, I felt I owed it to author to finish it.

Crook's Hollow was very action packed, so much so that I felt confused if there was a story line for quite a few chapters. Once I learned why Thor kept being attacked, it held my attention slightly more, and toward the end, I found myself enjoying the book. While reading Crook's Hollow, I kept thinking this would pr
Gary Donnelly
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Crook’s Hollow is a countryside noir that’s dark, claustrophobic and with more turns and unforeseen twists than the tangled roots of a rural family tree. The first of its kind I’ve read and a stunning stand alone from the reliably talented Robert Parker.
We meet the protagonist Thor Loxley at the business end of a moving combine harvester and it’s no plot spoiler to say that Rob Parker is an unforgiving god to his lead man, for whom things go steadily from bad to worse. Simple in its premise (Th
Patricia
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow

I received this book free from one of the book sites. I do not remember which one! This is my honest review.
What a tangled web of deception & lies! Thor Loxley has been having a really rough few days. It seems like every time he turns around someone is trying to kill him. Who is it? Why do they want him dead?
This is a real page turner! I recommend that you read this book.
Donna
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good mystery story with plenty of action and suspense. The main character is funny and determined. He refuses to let the bad guys kill him - although they have tried multiple times. Good action and suspense int eh middle of the story keeps the reader going.
Dinnl
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Giving it 4 stars because it surprised me a few times and in a good way. It was a bit slow in getting going and it seemed as if it was set in an earlier period, I was fooled until Brexit was mentioned.
Doris
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-have-won
I won this book on Goodreads
Lot's of twists and turns. Will keep you turning the pages well into the night.
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really good book. Mysterious, lots of unexpected. Good ending, unexpected. Plenty of description of location. Nothing is as it really seems. I would recommend.
Mary Ballard
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Crook's Hollow

This was a very hard book to put down. Had me on the edge of my seat the whole way through. Lots of twists and turns.
Misty
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very interesting story. Felt like I was part of the book.
Jenny Curtis
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

A nice mystery to snuggle up to at night. Quite a few twists and turns with a great main character.
Mindy
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This had so many twists and turns, I had no idea what was going to happen or who was behind it. The characters were all very real.

• Treasure of Darkness (Palmyrton Estate Sale Mystery #2)
  • The Devil May Care (Rogues & Gentlemen #4)
  • Once Upon a Duke (12 Dukes of Christmas #1)
  • Palm Beach Deadly (Charlie Crawford Mystery, #3)
  • A Grave Misunderstanding (Simon Grave, #1)
  • Chaos at Crescent City Medical Center (Alex Destephano, #1)
  • Murder On Magazine (Skip Langdon #10)
  • The Conundrum of a Clerk (The Widowers of the Aristocracy, #3)
  • Engaging The Enemy (The Wild Randalls, #1)
  • Devil with a Gun (Dixie Flynn Mystery, #2)
  • Awaken the Sleeping Heart (Children of Graistan Book 1)
  • A Dangerous Deceit (The Thief-Takers, #3)
  • The Bride Wore Dead (Josie Tucker Mystery #1)
  • The Charity of a Viscount (The Widowers of the Aristocracy, #4)
  • Thicker than Water (Murray of Letho, #10)
  • When a Rogue Loves a Woman
  • Windmera-Desperation
  • One Other: A fast paced crime thriller, with a shocking twist
Robert Parker is a married father of three, who lives in a village near Manchester, UK. The author of the Ben Bracken books A Wanted Man and Morte Point, and the standalone post-Brexit country-noir Crook’s Hollow, he enjoys a rural life on an old pig farm (now minus pigs), writing horrible things between school runs.

He writes full time, as well as organising and attending various autho