Start by marking “Get your shit together” as Want to Read:
Get your shit together

Get your shit together

Get your sh*t together van Sarah Knight gaat over uitvinden waar je wel f*cks om wil geven, de kracht van negatief denken, minder uitgeven en meer besparen, je angsten managen, tools om je sh*t op orde te krijgen, een einde aan de bullshitcyclus maken, vermijdingsgedrag voorkomen en megaveel andere goeie sh*t. Een krachtige, grappig geschreven, nuttige gids om eindelijk je ...more
Published July 1st 2017 by Kosmos Uitgevers (first published December 27th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Get your shit together, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get your shit together

Heidi The Hippie Reader
Knight is an acquired taste, but I generally enjoyed Get Your Sh*t Together. Her self help books are full of useful tips, profanity, and irreverent humor so don't pick this title up if you're easily offended. If you know someone who seriously needs to get their you-know-what together, this could be the title you've been waiting for!

Knight keeps it real from the first page: "(This book) is more of a let-me-help-you-help-yourself-help book, with "me" here to "help" when your "self" gets in the way
Noah Nichols
This insubstantial book would've been a lot more enjoyable if the author could have refrained from being an overbearing and self-centered blowhole. As it stands, this typical "effort" comes off as a rushed one and Knight rambles on and on about herself (we get it; you're successful) to the point of distracting annoyance. There are better options out there. Two stars—I guess—for not being broken. Whatever. People like Sarah Knight are laughable...throwaway fads; needlessly cussing to try and be e ...more
May 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Another TRULY terrible book from Sarah Knight. Kicking myself at having wasted £12.99 on this absolute trash.

The introduction goes on for about 13 pages. The first chapter then regurgitates the introduction in slightly different wording. The second chapter paraphrases the first chapter, and so on. The book is padded out SO much, it's unbelievablable.

The first bit of practical advice was as follows, as to how to 'get your shit together' on p30:

1. Set a goal
2. Set aside time to complete the goal
Sara M. Abudahab
"Also, unlike many traditional self-help authors, I am going to use the word sh_t 332 times (including several shitmanteaus of my own invention), so please do not go on Amazon saying you were expecting sunshine and kittens and got shitstorms and shittens." LOL
Victoria
Apr 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like the author tried way too hard to be funny.
Elishea Khan
Jan 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So shit I couldn't finish it.
Laura Rash
Nov 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with The Life-changing Magic of Not Giving A Fuck, Sarah Knight manages to convey an important message with wit & personality like no other! With both of these books it's about getting control of your life. It's in your hands but you can start small & learn to control the steam roller of everyday life before it crushes you. With these helpful tips that had me snort laughing out loud you get a better view of the big picture. Flow charts don't hurt either.

Thanks to Sarah & Little B
Elizabeth
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction

I enjoyed another book full of wisdom by Sarah Knight. This book focuses on how to organize your life and not allow yourself to become overwhelmed. I truly enjoyed the read and highly recommend it to anyone looking for help with getting your shit together!

*I listened to the audio version of this book.

For more reviews/reveals/giveaways visit:
Joy
I read Sarah Knights first book and loved it and this is terrific too! I will write more about it soon!

Here are some of my favorite parts of this book -

Sarah's advice about being the best partner you can be. She talks about having a relationship relay to see "who can be nicer, more helpful, or more loving on any given day."

I also like the section titled Selfish is not a four-letter word. "You can't give of yourself to others if there's nothing left of yourself to give." "Happiness is a goal in
Emma Sea
Enjoyed this so much I might buy her first one, even though, like this, it's not available for Kindle in New Zealand.
Laura Sandonato
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book wasn't written for me. I have my sh*t together—insert smug jig here. Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed 'Get Your Sh*t Together'. Reading any of Sarah Knight's books is like having a friendly chat with a close friend. And although I do a good job pretending to be an adult, I still gleaned a few pearls of wisdom from this book. If you have trouble adulting and aren't offended by profanity, read 'Get Your Sh*t Together'. And if you're interested in the cleaning wisdom I cleaned from this b ...more
Odette Knappers
Nov 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Dit boek viel echt ENORM tegen. Ik had niet eens rare verwachtingen vond ik, maar de achterflap en de inhoudsopgave (hier op de site van de uitgeverij) spraken me gewoon erg aan.

Maar dit boek heeft maar 1 les: bedenk wat je wilt, hak het in hapklare, doe-bare blokjes en doe iedere dag een beetje en zo bereik je uiteindelijk je doel.

Nou, die les heb ik veel beter geleerd uit What To Do When There's Too Much To Do: Reduce Tasks, Increase Results, and Save 90 a Minutes Day.

Ik had verwacht dat dit b
Lesa
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
Every once in a while, in the midst of all my fiction reading, I pick up a self-improvement book. There's often a point or two of interest in the book, even if much of the advice is repetitive and obvious. But, someone has to point out the highlights. Sarah Knight uses her own life as in example in Get Your Sh*t Together.

Knight was in a high-pressure job in New York City, one she had planned for her career. And, after fifteen years, she realized it wasn't what she wanted to do, or where she want
Sorento62
The best part of this book is the repeated encouragement to not give a f*ck about things that aren't truly important or that you really don't have time for. Other than that it is mostly the mechanics of goal setting and following through on working toward a goal, pretty elementary stuff. If it were that easy, there wouldn't be so many books about it.
I think the problem is that the author has no difficulty driving herself to complete a goal once she sets herself to it. She burned herself out by
Linda
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some good (if irreverent) advice for getting your sh*t together. Although there is really nothing here that isn't obvious, it is good for those who need a blunt breakdown of how to tackle today's most common obstacles to living your best life. I did find the book to be a bit repetitive and skimmed much of the last part.

Overall: just ok.

Colleen
Dip into savings means spending more than you should. Then you're allowing money to build a prison around you and make you its bitch. Don't be money's bitch.

Better take some Advil if I'm going to keep patting myself on the back so hard.

Coworker help = quid pro quo.

Impulse control should not be confused with distraction.

Early-onset rigor mortis.

Happiness is a goal in and of itself. Giving fewer, better f*cks is an exercise in selfishness and there's nothing wrong with that.

GYST:
Saving or not
Blaise Haddow
It was okay. Parts of it were funny, there's some interesting and potentially useful advice in here, but overall... somehow I suppose I expected more substance from something with such an ambitious subtitle. Knight offers a strategy and consistently applies that one strategy to a variety of scenarios one might encounter.

For me, though, it always comes back to the fact that any advice that boils down to "just do it" (as Knight's does, especially in her last step of commitment) is basically useles
Raluca
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
To achieve the advice in the title, you must have an overarching goal, split it into smaller, manageable tasks, and go through them one at a time, in order of priority and urgence. If your to do list is still too crowded, consider which things you can abandon and which you can delegate, for a fee if necessary. There. I saved you 300 pages of repetition and one exaggerated chipmunk analogy. You're welcome.
Desirae
Aug 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book tries to hide the fact that it is rehashing the same old, same old self-help tropes by using profanity and very outdated pop references. I have to admit that I am kind of in shocked that this book has been rated so high when there are so many other better books currently out there.
Vikki
Another hilarious, thought provoking book by Sarah Knight that had great advice but not sure if can apply all. Feels like a lot of planning but then you actually have to do and that is where people fail. Same old advice about breaking big tasks or projects into smaller tasks and making sure to prioritize tasks everyday to the need to items get done. The funny makes you think it is possible and want to give it a try.
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I wish this had focused a little bit more on mental health, especially given the author‘s own history with it but overall a great read. I listened to the audiobook but I can definitely see myself getting a physical copy to reread stuff and actually integrate some of the advice into my life!
Kris
Jan 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not going to be a great book for everyone. If you hate swearing, stay away. If you don’t like pop culture references, look elsewhere. Overall, this is basic, practical advice in a fun format for certain audiences, of which I am a part. Knight is right about my age, hence my amusement at her pop culture references, and I am a sweary mammajamma, so bonus points there. This is not groundbreaking, but it’s a good reminder. Also, Knight’s narration has a familiar vibe - Kristen Bell, or Mindy ...more
Sue Smith
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was awesome! It was exactly what I needed to hear - and I'll be gladly implementing so many great ideas. I've always been a list maker and a planner but somehow things always would get lost in the shuffle, so this book had that light-bulb moment for me. Take your goal, break it down into chunks of time or money and then schedule it accordingly. Genius. So simple and yet this has eluded me for ever. Silly really - it's such a simple and obvious solution, I just can't believe that it did ...more
Ceri
Mar 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
Every year for the past bajillion years one of my New Year's Resolutions is to be more organised. I thought I'd give this book a go. I read it in audio. It's narrated by the author, which is something I like.

On the whole, I didn't find a lot to take away from this book. There were a couple of good suggestions, for example, if you struggle to estimate time well, time yourself doing something, so in future you are able to estimate it better, or that over-preparing, for example, anticipating things
Nakia
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This gets a 3.5 from me.

If your life is in shambles or you're too distracted or overwhelmed to make the changes you need to live the life you want, and you're also not into traditional self help, then this is the book for you. "Get Your Sh*t Together" is hilarious but still helpful and no-nonsense.

Sarah Knight's philosophy is to break every goal down into manageable chunks so it seems attainable. She also stresses that change takes time and goals should be mapped out on a realistic timeline. You
Mallory
Feb 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
Do yourself a favor and read a self-help article on Medium. Same message condensed into four minutes of your time.

IE. Anything longer than four minutes of tis book is a waste of time. Designed for millennials with a trust fund, its the same message shared over and over again - neither inspirational, nor informative, nor funny, nor helpful.

Stick with the Medium article. You'll get your shit together and save $14 from not buying this book.
Erin
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
This one was almost better than her first one. There was so much in here that definitely applied to me. I will be going back to these books over and over I think. So much fun! So funny! But mostly full of decent advice. Definitely recommend her books!
Megan Prokott
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
So quippy, definitely the kind of book that motivates you to go out and live your best life!
Tsedai
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Miranda
I'm somewhere between a Simon and a Theodore. So I've more or less known some of these strategies, but I like having it broken down and presented to me in a manageable way--and my butt kicked a bit. I need that "Who raised you?" jab as a way to calm my mental storms--and the avoidance (or flawed prioritizing) I use as a coping mechanism--and get my sh*t better together.

It was an entertaining, relatively light read. I appreciated the visuals and how Knight would step back and address the privile
  • Online Marketing for Busy Authors: A Step-By-Step Guide
  • 10,001 Ways to Live Large on a Small Budget
  • How to Be Everything: A Guide for Those Who (Still) Don't Know What They Want to Be When They Grow Up
  • The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program
  • Go Green, Live Rich: 50 Simple Ways to Save the Earth and Get Rich Trying
  • How to Live a Good Life
  • The Eight Limbs of Yoga: A Handbook for Living Yoga Philosophy
  • Vegetable Gardener's Container Bible
  • Kick Ass with Mel Robbins
  • Mighty Ugly: Exercises and Advice for Getting Creative Even When It Ain't Pretty
  • Slow: Simple Living for a Frantic World
  • I Just Like to Make Things: Learn the Secrets to Making Money while Staying Passionate about your Art and Craft
  • Rising Strong as a Spiritual Practice
  • Endangered Pleasures: In Defense of Naps, Bacon, Martinis, Profanity, and Other Indulgences
  • Childfree and Loving It!
  • Clear the Clutter, Find Happiness: One-Minute Tips for Decluttering and Refreshing Your Home and Your Life
  • The Spark and the Grind: Ignite the Power of Disciplined Creativity
  • My Story Can Beat Up Your Story: Ten Ways to Toughen Up Your Screenplay from Opening Hook to Knockout Punch
“You can’t give of yourself to others if there’s nothing left of yourself to give, can you?” 4 likes
“Proven fact: You can never finish something you didn't start.” 2 likes