Start by marking “Pet Sematary” as Want to Read:
Pet Sematary

Pet Sematary

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  324,200 Ratings  ·  7,319 Reviews
The house looked right, felt right to Dr Louis Creed. Rambling, old, unsmart and comfortable. A place where the family could settle; the children grow and play and explore. The rolling hills and meadows of Maine seemed a world away from the fume-choked dangers of Chicago. Only the occasional big truck out on the two-lane highway, grinding up through the gears, hammering do ...more
Published October 1st 2015 by Hodder Paperbacks (first published November 14th 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Pet Sematary, please sign up.
Eden I was an advanced reader as a kid and this is not a book for children. My daughter saw the movie at 17 and will not read the book and she was an…moreI was an advanced reader as a kid and this is not a book for children. My daughter saw the movie at 17 and will not read the book and she was an advanced reader as well. The way that King deals with the deaths in the book is amazing but it is not the way to start the conversation with your 10 year old. In no way, shape or form is this a novel for children.(less)

Chelsea Humphrey
Wow. Just wow. I've put off reading this one for years because, well.... I'm a wimp. There, I said it. When one of the most well-known names in the contemporary era of the horror genre says something is his scariest book, I take note. It seems bizarre that I finally chose to tackle this one while having children the same age as Louis Creed's, it was precisely the perfect time to pick this up. I listened to almost the entire book over a 24-hour period while road-tripping, and the experience was u ...more
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
It’s probably wrong to believe there can be any limit to the horror which the human mind can experience. On the contrary, it seems that some exponential effect begins to obtain as deeper and deeper darkness falls—as little as one may like to admit it, human experience tends, in a good many ways, to support the idea that when the nightmare grows black enough, horror spawns horror, one coincidental evil begets other, often more deliberate evils, until finally blackness seems to cover everything.
Johann (jobis89)
"Cause what you buy, is what you own. And what you own... always comes home to you."

Louis Creed and his family have recently moved to the town of Ludlow, Maine. Behind their house there is a path that leads to a 'Pet Sematary', where the children of surrounding areas have buried their beloved pets in years gone by. Deeper in the woods there lies an ancient Indian burial ground, that Louis discovers has some sinister properties when their family cat dies...

It's no secret that Pet Sematary is my f
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
While reading this book, all I that runs through my head is the song the Ramones made for the movie.

So, I'm going to link the video so all of you can have it running through your head as well! Kickin' it old school =)

Pet Sematary - The Ramones

Okay, let me just go ahead and say there will be **SPOILERS** for those that haven't read the book or seen the movie.

I have seen the movie about 6 million 5 hundred and 8 times. And I love it! THIS is the first time I have read the book, and as there are
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
That ending though...

This ended up being very different than what I expected. The less you know about it, the better!
Carol
"Sometimes dead is better".................

KING calls Pet Sematary his scariest book, and I can understand why. It is super creepy and super "shocking" where he takes the reader, and his interesting prologue explaining how he came to write this unsettling tale brings a bit of truth to the story.

While truly a horror of a read, it is excellent in respect to its genre, but just awful too if that makes any sense. PS is not particularly gory, but definitely sad, sick, dark, and disgusting with more t

Mario
Once upon a time when I was a child, I remember talking with my family about horror movies. Somebody asked what was the scariest movie you've watched, and my mom without thinking said 'Pet Sematary'. I remember laughing and saying 'How on earth could a movie named Pet Sematary be scary?' Fast forward to now, I changed my mind.

This book is scariest and creepiest book I've ever read, and I'm sure it'll stay number 1 for a long time. It made me think about stuff I don't want, or refuse, to think a
Justin Tate
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stephen King's legacy will be vast, I have no doubt. We'll still read him hundreds of years from now, just as we have with Poe and Dickens and many others. Of all his master works, however, I take the somewhat unpopular stance that Pet Sematary is his magnum opus. Re-reading it now only confirms this opinion.

When I first read Pet Sematary (I couldn't have been older than 13) I knew right away that it was more than a typical scary story. For one, it made me feel decades older. Wiser. More entuned
Ginger
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, audio
I loved this book!
I’m so glad I finally read Pet Sematary! What a creepy book. The unease and anxiety just keeps building in this book and it's brutal!

I’ll have to be honest here.
(view spoiler)
That’s some damn fine writing since it affected me so bad!

But I pressed on an
Sr3yas
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read The Shining, my first Stephen King book back in summer of 2016 and was absolutely blown away by it. Since then I've been reading King's books religiously to find the next masterpiece that could push the limits of a sane mind. Well, It took me two years and eleven more King's books to find it, and on the way, I met many great contenders like Pennywise, Barlow and George Stark. But it was Pet Sematary and the horrors that paid a visit to the small family in Ludlow that finally won me over ...more
Vincent Kaprat
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This may be King's darkest book. If you're goth, read this and you'll be 5% goth'er.
Matt
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror
Every Halloween, I like to do a little season’s readings. For most of the year, I generally avoid scary books and movies. Life is scary enough without looking for extra frights. But there’s something about the Fall. Once the wind gets sharp, the days get short, and the leaves start to drop, I inevitably find myself within a small window of time in which horror is appealing. This window closes abruptly at midnight on November 1. Before that time, though, I’m relatively open to the idea of being t ...more
Alejandro
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, paranormal, horror
A truly spooky story!!!

NEVER PLAY WITH THE BEYOND

I was familiarized with the story since I have watched several times the 1998's film adaptation, but I hadn't properly read the original novel and since it's already announced a new film adaptation for April next year (2019), I thought that it was about time to read the book.

Certainly it's one of the scariest books by Stephen King, in my humble opinion, not only due the main topic but mainly due the characters involved and their interactions.

F
Jo (An Unexpected Book Hoarder)
Well, I doubt that I'll ever have any other way of saying this, but after reading this book, my mind, is well and truly fucked. This book, and the story it tells, pushes the boundaries even for the sanest of individuals. It physiologically grips you, and Stephen King manages to get inside your head, and stay there, long after you've finished the book. But, that is what he wants, and that, is another reason why he is one of the greatest authors, that I have read to date.

Pet Sematary is my fourth
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
These characters should have taken a lesson from the old story “The Monkey’s Paw,” seriously.

This is the book that really convinced me that hardcore horror novels are not for me. At all.

I can't remember if I was already the mother of a toddler when I read this. Those final scenes from the book have seeped into my psyche. Like the last hundred or so pages of Outlander, these are images that are permanently part of my brain, that I really wish I'd never put there.

The two stars are in recognition
Nikki
Oct 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
AMEERA
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stephen King : king of horror stories 💀👑'
Eliasdgian
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Πέρα από το νεκροταφείο ζώων, βαθιά στο δάσος, πίσω από έναν σωρό νεκρών δέντρων που μοιάζουν να οριοθετούν το απόκοσμο, βρίσκεται το παλιό νεκροταφείο των ινδιάνων Μίκμακ. Ένας τόπος κακός, δαιμονικός, όπου ο Louis Creed έθαψε τον νεκρό γάτο της κόρης του. Κι ο νεκρός γάτος επέστρεψε. Αλλιώτικος μεν, ζωντανός δε. Όπως είχε κάποτε επιστρέψει κι ο νεκρός σκύλος του γείτονά του, Jud Crandall. Κι επειδή η φρίκη γεννάει φρίκη, ο κατάλογος των πλασμάτων που νεκραναστήθηκαν στην ινδιάνικη γη θα συνεχι ...more
Edward Lorn
Pet Sematary Review (Kinda) I know this review is long, but I have a personal story to tell. Read it if you want to, but the simple fact of the matter is that this book is awesome. If you haven't read it, stop fucking about.

When I was ten years old, my mother and her best friend Andrita took a trip to the local drive-in to catch a showing of Pet Sematary. My father was out with his own buddies, so guess who got to tag along? Yup, me. My mother told me to go to sleep in the back seat, and then p
Heena Rathore P.
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Note: I read this book in RMFAO's November Buddy-Read with some of my awesome friends Magdalena, Titas, Andrew, Kim, Stefani Saloma, Marigold, Konstantina Pap.

description

Pet Sematary is undoubtedly one of Stephen King’s finest works. I tend to be speechless when it comes to writing a review for his books, so forgive me if I write less than necessary, because, nothing that can be said will ever be really enough to praise this book.

The story takes you very slowly through the life happenings of Louis Creed
Brittany
Spectacularly intensely horrifically done. The forward by Stephen King was wonderful. I waited a long time to read this one and it was well worth the wait. That last 10-15% of the book was WOW! Excellently woven story. I love King's older novels so much! So great to read before the new re-make comes out!
Anne
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel was absolutely terrifying, especially because it somehow seemed so real.
While reading, I was constantly guessing how the whole thing was supposed to end, because I really couldn't come up with a possible and fitting solution. But of course, Stephen King knew what to do! He left so much room for an individual interpretation, which is why this is one of my favorite endings to a book ever.

I talk about how much I love King's writing style in every single of my reviews of one of his books
Luffy
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

While a third into this Stephen King book, it dawned on me why King had such a strong fan base around the world in the 80s, and was the hottest name in popular fiction. It came to me that reading such a well-written horror book was legitimately one of the most primal, adult things I could do. That's because this type of book can have its own brand of hangover. Luckily, I've not yet dreamed of Zelda, the most terrifying monster in this book.

King had a handle on the human mind. He could then -
Will M.
THE ELECTRICITY JUST FLUCTUATED WHILE I WAS WRITING THIS REVIEW. THE LIGHTS WENT BATSHIT CRAZY. WTF IS HAPPENING? I'M NOT KIDDING AROUND, IT'S 6:15PM AND I'M ALONE IN MY ROOM. WHAT DID YOU DO TO ME, KING?

Louis Creeds moves into a beautiful old house in Maine with his wife, daughter, son, and cat. It was all normal and perfect at first, but the nearby woods became apparent and so was the Pet Sematary.

When people regard King as the master of horror, I used to raise an eyebrow. I've read a few o
Helga
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, stephen-king
What you buy is what you own, and sooner or later what you own will come back to you…

What is there not to like about Stephen King’s books?

Writing a book is difficult, I know. But writing a book that contains humor, horror, despair, tragedy and above all excellent writing; a book that scares you and gives you nightmares (makes you go check under the beds because you hear a suspicious sound and you are alone, or check if the doorknob is turning every few seconds while there is shampoo in your eye
James
Believe it or not, after 700+ books read (and I know there's at least 100 I've forgotten to review over the years), I've never read a Stephen King novel. I've seen a few movies and enjoyed them (Dolores Claiborne, Misery, It, Carrie, The Shining) but never actually read one. Yep, I'm a loser, I know it... okay, done yelling at me? Let's get on to the review...

So... I had in my mind a certain expectation of this book. I knew it was about animals coming back to life. I knew it was about a pet ceme
Babybook
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Što bi bilo kad bi ljudi mogli poništiti smrt? Svi smo barem jednom poželjeli da drage nam osobe koje više nisu s nama vratimo u zemaljski život ne razmišljajući o posljedicama. A što ako posljedice imaju visoku cijenu?
Inače nisam fan horora ali barem jednom godišnje dopustim sebi da se malo isprepadam. Prošle godine negdje u ovo doba sam čitala "It" koje me se nije posebno dojmilo, ovaj put izbor je pao na groblje kućnih ljubimaca. Jesam li se isprepadala? Bome jesam. Ali više od samih gnjusnih
Calista
I read this 2 decades ago and I can still picture the scene where he is talking about the ancient magic in the woods that the Native Americans lived with. This was a creepy book and it was a great read. Love it.
Jadranka

Stephen King je istakao da „Groblje kućnih ljubimaca“ smatra svojom najstrašnijom knjigom, i da je nakon završetka pisanja rukopis stavio u fioku, misleći da je konačno otišao suviše daleko. I sam je toliko bio užasnut onim što je napisao...e pa Stevo kako i ne bi bio užasnut!!
Knjiga koju još uvek držim pred sobom dok pišem ovaj prikaz je verovatno jedna od najgroznijih, najgnusnijih, najuznemiravajućih, najmučnijih knjiga koje sam u životu pročitala. Dotakla je u meni sva ona mračna mesta koja
Dustin
Dec 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy crap, re-reading this book is like watching a car crash about to take place in super slow motion: You know what's coming, you know how it can be avoided, but all the same, you find yourself walking the well-tended path into the deep woods of Northern Maine...

In my reading of this, as a new father myself, I find the entire concept of the Pet Sematary itself really sort of secondary to the main plot of parents, doing everything in their power, to protect their children from all the dangers in
  • The Regulators
  • The Wolf's Hour
  • Night Visions 5
  • Carrion Comfort
“Sometimes dead is better” 276 likes
“And the most terrifying question of all may be just how much horror the human mind can stand and still maintain a wakeful, staring, unrelenting sanity.” 176 likes