Start by marking “As Shadows Fade (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #5)” as Want to Read:
As Shadows Fade (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #5)

As Shadows Fade

(The Gardella Vampire Hunters #5)

Vampires have met their match with Victoria Gardella, but now the huntress faces an even greater evil as London is besieged by malevolent entities no mortal was ever meant to encounter...

Directly descended from the very first vampire hunter in the Gardella family, Victoria knows she must continue the lineage so humanity will have protectors against the undead. While
Mass Market Paperback, 342 pages
Published March 3rd 2009 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about As Shadows Fade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As Shadows Fade

Start your review of As Shadows Fade (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #5)
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I ended up liking this book quite a lot. I have really had a great time with this vampire hunter series set in the Regency period and I was eager to see how everything would wrap up in this final installment. I had some ideas about where things might go in this book and I wasn't completely wrong but there were more than a few surprises worked in along the way as well. I am pretty satisfied with how everything came to an end.

Demons
Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
I actually really like this series, but things started to go downhill for me in book 4, and I didn't care for this volume much at all. I almost don't even want to write anything about it, but I'll try to explain the issues I had.

Warning: major rant about the romance in spoiler. I didn't realize I had so many feelings about this!

(view spoiler)
Kristen Burns
4 Stars

Review:
This was the final book in Victoria’s story, and it was a solid ending to a consistently great series. Much like the others, it kept me hooked, and it had complex characters, complicated relationships, some emotion, some hot yet not-too-graphic sex scenes, great writing, and lots of funny snark and sarcasm. In fact, I think this one may have even been funnier than the others since both Victoria kept cracking me up with her witty snark and Max with his exasperation at everything.

JAIME
May 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2015
2 stars. Because I fkn hate love triangles. Especially where one party becomes so wronged that they are a shadow of their former selves. How am I supposed to identify or root for a person who practically showed no remorse in destroying another?

The story may have been quite okay otherwise.
Zeek
Feb 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The most romantic of Colleen Gleason's Gardella Chronicles* As Shadows Fade is the 5th and last, according to the author.

The book begins just weeks after the fourth novel in the series, When Twilight Burns, and ties the entire set of novels together with an ending that made me sigh in satisfaction.

Victoria, Illa Gardella and Vampire Slayer extraordinaire, has finally made her choice in the infamous Max/Sebastian/Victoria love triangle. In addition, the action remains on point as we finally get
Kailyn Trainer-Walters
My sweet cinnamon roll, Sebastian

I loved this series, and could not put any of the books down. Even though my ship ended up sinking, I can honestly say I haven’t been this invested in a book boyfriend in quite some time.

The historical era, the writing, the characters oh my stars the characters. I think I loved Sebastian Vioget from the moment we met him in book one, and his arc is so, so good.
I didn’t really dislike Max until book 3 and then I just thought he was an uber douche. I always
Tammie King
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Roxanne of Night Owl Romance
4.5 / 5 Hearts - Reviewer Top Pick

Night Owl Romance 2007-2009

Online at: http://www.nightowlromance.com/nighto...

The final book in the Gardella Vampire Chronicles, As Shadows Fade, opens with Victoria trying to figure out how to deal with her new “relationship” with Max. At the end of When Twilight Burns Victoria and Max declared their feelings for each other in a passionate way. Max admitted he loved Victoria, but couldn’t be with her and left her there…alone…
The Flooze
A fitting end to an exciting series. As Victoria, Max, and Sebastian engage in their final battles, the tension is at an all-time high. Gleason's ability to switch between character perspectives with ease grants the reader an enlightening and thorough knowledge of everyone's emotions and motivations. We feel their anguish and confusion, their passion and panic as they deal with human, demonic, and vampiric temptations.

The end, though bittersweet in some ways, is also ultimately appropriate. For
Romance Novel TV
Mar 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Kati Dancy for Romance Novel TV
Publisher: Penguin
5 stars out of 5

Look, I’m a fan of Colleen Gleason. A big one — frankly, with extremely good reason. In the Gardella Vampire Chronicles she has created a singular heroine, Lady Victoria Gardella Grantworth, who is both a lady of ton and, more importantly, Illa Gardella, the leader of the Venators — those who are chosen to battle the vampires who prey on humankind, generally without anyone being the wiser for it. In the past four books,
Mary
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I still have questions! Will read the next ones in the spinoff.
Megan
Mar 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Yvonne (bookishpanda)

As Shadows Fade is the fifth book and also the conclusion to the Gardella Vampire Chronicles. It has benn quite a while since I read the other four books of the series but the author did a great job at "explaining" everything that previously happened so I was up to date without looking anything up.

Our main character is Victoria, also known as Illa Gardella, and she's a vampire hunter. In this last installment she finally wants to rid the world of the vampire queen Lilith with a little help of
Katie(babs)
Apr 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
As Shadow’s Fade is the final book in Colleen Gleason’s outstanding Gardella Vampire Chronicles. This Victorian Paranormal series has great action, suspense, drama and romance. The hardest part for an author must be writing the final book in a series they have invested so much work and emotion into. The same goes for the reader.

This is a bittersweet review on my part because not only did I have absolute joy in reading about an amazing heroine in Victoria Gardella, Grantworth de Lacy, but had
Karissa
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the fifth and final book in the Gardella Vampire Chronicles. It did a nice job of tying things up and resolving the main story. I really enjoyed the characters, the action, and the plot involving the evil Lilith.

This time it is not vampires who threaten Victoria Gardella, but demons. In order to fight these demons the Venators must do the unthinkable and team up with Lilith. Lilith is still obsessed with Max, and the Venators are forced to use her obsession with him to aid in the fight.
Shelley
Jan 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4.0 stars
Setting: London in the Victorian Age

As Shadows Fade is the last book in the Gardella Vampire Chronicles that has followed Victoria Gardella Grantworth De Lacy, Illa Gardella of the Venators, as well as Maximillan Pesaro, and Sebastian Vioget. The story picks up two weeks after the conclusion of When Twilight Burns when Max finally admits his feelings for Victoria.

We have followed Victoria over the course of this series, or for two years of her life. We watch as she is told by
Lorna
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
(RabidReads.com)A lovely ending to a wonderful series? A heartbreaking ending to a favorite series? A wonderfully written ending to a series I couldn’t stop reading? Another 5 stars for this exciting thriller of a read? All true.

A little background for those that do not know about this series. Victoria is a venator, otherwise known as a vampire hunter/killer. What makes this read different from all other vampire slayer reads is first of all, it takes place in Regency era England, and secondly,
Natasja
Aug 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Victoria Gardella, Vampire slayer or Illa Gardella venator as she is called, knows she has to make the hardest decision in her life. For quite some time now, two men have been fighting for her heart and it’s time to make her final decision between Max and Sebastian.

But that is not all she is been worried about, Wayren is kidnapped by some demons and the only way to get her out of there is with the help of Lilith, Queen of the vampires. Victoria knows the price will be high when she accepts the
Crystal ♥ RBtWBC
Series Review:
04.20.2011

I was enthralled from the first page of The Rest Falls Away and was captivated until the end of As Shadows Fade. I devoured all five Gardella novels with in a week.

The Gardella Vampire Chronicles is a historical paranormal romance with a heroine, Lady Victoria Gardella Grantworth de Lacy, struggling to balance her normal life with her not so normal. I don't want to give any spoilers but she has a lot to deal with throughout the
Sadia
I can't remember the times I felt like sinking in the book and killing Lilith myself. I wish she'd died in the first book.

Anyways, Victoria is all the more determined to kill Lilith now. About time I'd say. The Max-Victoria-Sebastian love triangle is finally heading in some direction and the right one that is. I'm beyond myself to finally see Max and Victoria as a couple, I think they're perfect for each other. I knew that the first time Victoria tried staking Max. They compliment each other so
Cherie
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
My ratings system is as follows. One star is GOOD. The book is entertaining, easy to read and you don't want to stop reading because something about the book is compelling you not to. Two stars is GREAT! This time the story is not only entertaining, but highly creative, unique, easy to read and hard to put down. Three stars is EXCELLENT. Here the book has all aspects of one and two stars, but now the book is thought and emotionally provoking. Four is AWESOME. This is the read that is not only ...more
Alana Byers-crawford
Never thought I'd say this about this series, but I'm glad Victoria's story is ending.
This book had it's good points, but it was so over shadowed by the love triangle between Victoria, Max and Sebastian that it just became annoying
Victoria became like a love sick, weak teenager instead of this tough, independent Venator like she had been portrayed.
Even Sebastians desperation and continued flirting was sickening to read.
Hopefully the series is saved now that the lead isn't Victoria cause it
Heidi Dover
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: liked-plus
Good ending to good solid series. Liked the strength and reasonableness of the heroine, the struggle between the two, what Max had to go through to protect those he loved and the world in general, although they were both a little pigheaded about the situation the circumstnaces found them in. Enjoyed.
Carrie (Care)
Apr 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, read-in-2010
angela
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful

The excellence continues, in this the 5 th installment of this series. I am enjoying this series way to much. I don't want to do anything else. Now onto the next book.
Veronica Buckler
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The final book in the Gardella Vampire series did not disappoint! My goodness I didn’t see most of what transpired coming. I love that Gleason keeps surprising me with the character plots. Just when I think I’ve figured it out...bam! Plot twist. I am sad there are no further books in this series. I’ve come to love each of the primary characters and don’t want to say goodbye. There is still a great deal of nerve wracking battles, questions of how in the world are they getting out of this fix, ...more
Sandra Lazzell
After FLYING through books 3 and 4 in the series, this one left much to be desired in the area of excitement for me. Less adventure than the others, less suspense, less romance. In fact I had already thoroughly decided that I was not going to read the spin-off series due to the yawns through this last installment (which I was very surprised by, I loved the previous ones!), when the author introduces the setting of the next series at the very end of this one, and I can't help but be intrigued lol ...more
Robin
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The final book in the series of five, this one did not disappoint. Victoria was fully matured and lethal as our leader of the Venators (vampire hunters), Sebastian and Max even more heroic than usual as her henchmen. My only disappointment was the outlook for one of the main characters...but even that didn’t detract from a great story. It was a pleasure to watch Victoria as she grew to become a force against evil and a heroine to save humanity.
Melissa
3 1/2 stars

This series was action packed and had some good romantic elements to it as well. While the winner of our heroine's heart wasn't whom I would have liked, I left a lower rating for this book as I do not understand the long promise which was made. I think when the series was wrapped up this promise should have been made clearer and Victoria seemed to accept it all and everything which was done too easily or without much gratitude.
Alan T
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Victoria Gardella, Alex & Sebastian.

Victoria, the Summa Gardella is working to seal the portal where the demons are entering the earth demention. She has defintly chosen Alex over Sebastian. To the laters regret. Sebastian is trying to recover his first love Guilia, Alex's sister.

Characterization and plotting are good.
Nicole
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating would be 3.5 stars... Unfortunately I didn't think the ending was as good as the first books. Many things were to predictable and clean cut for me. Still I was entertained until the end and yeah maybe I will read the spin off.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Prince of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #1)
  • A Dark Heart (The Elders and Welders Chronicles #2)
  • Thief of Hearts (The Elders and Welders Chronicles, #3)
  • My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3)
  • Cerulean Sins (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #11)
  • Blue Moon (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #8)
  • Narcissus in Chains (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #10)
  • Kiss of Steel (London Steampunk, #1)
  • The Boss (The Boss, #1)
  • Of Silk and Steam (London Steampunk, #5)
  • Heart of Iron (London Steampunk, #2)
  • Obsidian Butterfly (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #9)
  • Calm My Anxious Heart
  • The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment
  • Forged by Desire (London Steampunk, #4)
  • Darkest Mercy (Wicked Lovely, #5)
  • Lies Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets Them Free
  • Wolf Bride (Lust in the Tudor Court, #1)
Award-winning, NEW YORK TIMES and USA Today bestselling author Colleen Gleason has written more than twenty books for major publishers such as Penguin Group, Harlequin Enterprises, Chronicle Books, and HarperCollins (as Joss Ware). Her books have been translated into seven different languages.

Colleen lives in the Midwest United States where she is fortunate enough to be working on her next book.

The Gardella Vampire Hunters (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Rest Falls Away (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #1)
  • Rises The Night (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #2)
  • The Bleeding Dusk (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #3)
  • When Twilight Burns (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #4)
  • Tiny Treats
  • Roaring Midnight (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Macey, #1)
  • Raging Dawn (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Max, #1)
  • Roaring Shadows (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Macey, #2)
  • Raging Winter (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Max, #2)
  • Roaring Dawn (The Gardella Vampire Hunters: Macey, #3)
“I've changed my mind, and when we're finished, Victoria, you won't remember your own name... let alone Viogets." ~ Max” 5 likes
“I don't plan to be a gentleman about this Victoria. He doesn't want you - he doesn't want anyone - an I do." ~ Sebastian” 3 likes