Start by marking “Someone In The Way” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

Someone In The Way

(Second Chances #1)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Someone In The Way was previously published as Finding Lily, but has been entirely re-written.

Lily Gardner thought she’d found her soul mate when she met and married the handsome and well-off Thomas Gardner. But now, thirty, with a four-year-old son, Lily finds herself wading through the messy waters of divorce and single motherhood, crying herself to sleep at night wonder
Published January 10th 2018 (first published September 22nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Someone In The Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someone In The Way

Asheley
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

I was fortunate enough to read an early copy of Someone In The Way by Rachel Del, and it couldn’t have been better because it was exactly the story I needed at at that time. At the time I was craving stories about women that were having to make big, hard life decisions. Lily’s story definitely fit that description.

Lily Gardner is fresh out of a bad separation and going thru a divorce. She has a sweet four-year-old son and she loves her job at a local publishing house. Lily works hard to kee
A.BookNerd.Bookseller&Bibliophile.Blog
It’s rare that I fall in love with a character just as soon as I’m introduced to them in the book. But that’s what happened with Nate. I loved him! I think it’s because I can relate a little to him. I really enjoyed this book. It had enough drama and excitement to keep me interested. Nate and Lily are great characters who have seen their fair share of heartbreak and some of that background gets slowly revealed throughout the book. I highly recommend picking this one up!

Reviewed by: Alexis B.
A Book Lover's Emporium Book Blog
I just want to say.... ahhh! This story was addictive, I couldn't put it down. I needed to know what would happen and who would be the first to admit their feelings.

I felt for Lily; all the turmoil and stress of divorce, a four year old son, a soon-to-be ex-husband, who is being nasty, angry and a job that the lovely Lily loves, is all hard work. Keeping your problems at home is draining and lonely. I felt for her. You can't bottle all those feelings up; this is what Lily thinks is best.

Nate is
Flavs is Mrs David Gandy♥~♥’
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I Voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book

Lily was in the process of getting a divorce from her husband. She is an editor and has a four year old son. And she is still getting over her awful marriage. And then to hear that marrying her was all a part of a plan and she didn't act the way he thought she would, that is the most humiliating of all.
Now her sister is telling her to go out and meet someone and get on with her life. Not as easy as you think.

Nate is fed up with his family. He has had eno
Tera
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
2-2.5 stars...

I had a hard time reviewing this book as the writing is good enough that I flew through it. I read it in basically 2 sittings. I guess my biggest issue is character development which is always a hard limit for me.

Someone in the Way is a story about Lily who is going through a divorce and trying to navigate being a single parent and maintaining a very demanding job. Her ex-husband, Thomas, does not help the situation. Then we have Nathan, her co-worker who has been watching Lily fro
Britt Red Hatter Book Blog
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This sweet, deeply emotional story of love and growth was fantastic! Not usually a fan of a slow burn Romance I was pleasantly surprised by how much I loved Someone In The Way. I hardly noticed the slow build up to the beautifully sweet love Lily and Nate had. Their story was just so riveting I couldn’t put it down and flew through the pages.

Both Nate and Lily were such real and relatable characters. I loved each of them for how perfectly flawed they were. Both a bit insecure from their pasts,
LettyT
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's a lot of real life situations in this book. It seems Lily Gardner's life is no different than the rest of us. When things go wrong, they go wrong all at once or at least it feels that way!

Lily is separated and about to sign off on her final divorce papers. The marriage wasn't the best but the divorce is really difficult. Being a newly divorced woman with a young child is bad enough but having job problems, just compounds how rough life can be. Enter Nathan Trainor who's a nice guy and ye
Alyssa | Swept Away By Books
This is a tough one for me because I love Rachel, but I just didn’t click with Someone In The Way. The story felt very disjointed, the characters didn’t have much depth, I was disappointed in the face that secondary characters weren’t very developed, including Lily’s son, who barely had two lines of dialogue. It just didn’t feel fleshed out enough for me. Everything moved too quickly, and the characters didn’t have consistent tones throughout the book.

Brandy Roberts
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Someone In The Way is a good read everything about it drew me in it would be my first read by Rachel Del . This has alot of ups and downs the relationship doesn't happen over night but these two share chemistry that can't be denied for long . Lily and Nathan have both been burned in the past so the last thing they are looking for is a relationship but that's what they find . I was rooting for them from the start well since I read the blurb I just knew they were meant to be .
copy provided for ho
Katy Birch
Lily Nathan.

Lily is going through a rough patch. Motivation is at an all time low, a bad breakup/divorce. Nathan works along side Lily and has harboured feelings for a while. Since he heard of her divorce its all systems go.

The Chemistry between them is electric but by no means easy.

Its a lovely, touching read. The ups and downs leave you turning the pages religiously. Good read.
Lisa Gonzales
Nov 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The story between the two was loving. It comes to show that things happen in life and things get in the way. Nathan finally has his chance to finally be with Lily.

It has a good chemistry and you get into the book a little more past Chapter 1. It has his ups and downs but you will follow with them at every step hey take.
Jasmine
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m a sucker for second-chance romance, and this story hit all the marks for me! It had such great heart and Nate and Lily had amazing chemistry! Nate is totally swoon worthy (definitely adding to my book boyfriend list). And Lily is relatable and you can’t help but root for her. Overall, I’d definitely recommend this gem, and can’t wait to read more from Rachel!
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely story — I fell in love with the characters almost instantly and was rooting for this couple so much! Looking forward to reading more from this author!
Krista
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Someone in The Way is the the story of Lily and Nate. Lily is in the process of getting divorced from a jerk of a husband, all the while trying to keep it on the down low at work. Which is where Nate comes in at. I found myself getting frustrated with both Lily and Nate for talking to each other when they should. I also would have liked to have seen Lily stand up to Thomas a bit more than she did. I liked throwing Tanner into the mix, his character is fun. Overall it was a pretty good story and ...more
Cikita Oktarina
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This arc gave to me in exchange an honest review, thankyou for the advance Rachel! So far enjoyed this book, this book was kind of easy read for me, so didn't need much time to read it, of course after reading lily (the main character) had been through, i always know after "so much messes up life you have been through you would find out the beautiful ones at last" yup that was happened with her, if you read the summary above, you would know, that's the story would lead you in this book, this is ...more
Sarah Green
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
BookSmacked review.

Honestly, this took me a little to get into. Not because it's written poorly, I just was feeling it on a personal preference. The blurb sold it to me and when I came back to it, I got into it. It just wasn't an epic read. The connection the Nate and Lilly had was a slow burn for me, I didn't find it to be the all consuming love and desire. Not an overly long story to read, and, maybe you'll see it in a different light to me, I certainly wouldn't discredit it.
Lisa Harman
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rachel does it again! She know what her readers want, and delivers. Someone in the Way is engaging and a page turner. The chemistry between Lily and Nathan keeps you guessing and intrigued! Very pleased w/ this book.
Susan Robinson
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of this book and I was hooked from the start. Lily and Nate will always be a favorite couple of mine.

The story goes through these two coming together despite all the things that stand in their way. And I have to say... I’m happy I was able to lose myself in their story and enjoy it.

Trust me you guys will love this quirky duo and Nate’s charming personality. He’s just such a sweet guy, but has these perfect hidden flaws that make him even more human.

Would recom
Kristyn
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I discovered the author, Rachel De, on Instagram, and when I found out she was writing a book, I knew I needed to snag it and give it a read. The book is a short read, at barely 200 pages, but it's a good one! I read it rather quickly, and couldn't put it down. It was very easy to relate to Lilly, as she is just like any other indecisive girl out there - and like Lilly, as the years pass, we sometimes lose ourselves in other people or certain roles, and sometimes we have to find ourself again. L ...more
Kory
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely love this book. It's certainly a quick read, but even if it wasn't I wouldn't have been able to put it down regardless.

Definitely falling asleep with hearts in my eyes and all sorts of sweet, romantic thoughts on my mind.
Donna
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It is a short and sweet romance.
I Dont Get Sundays
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Before I begin I only have one question from this book, Rachel, girl, were you musing The Grinch when writing the ex husband, his heart is 3 times to small and he needs an attitude adjustment real quick.

Now to the lovely and incredible story of Lily and Nathan. Lily is my new best friend. She is strong but tears apart, she is a great mom that loves wine, and she portrays that all together but crumpling inside lifestyle. Real. This is real life. It doesn't happen the way you plan. There is alway
Melissa
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read and reviewed Rachel's other book, How To Be Someone Else, and really enjoyed it. I went into this one expecting a similar, sweet contemporary, but instead found a book that had a lot more hard-hitting issues than HTBSE.

I was completely captivated by the story from the first page, and found myself inhaling almost half of the book in one day, scarcely able to put it down. I loved the imperfect, battered characters who had each suffered greatly, and found myself rooting for them to rise abov
Jennifer Pierson
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lily Gardner thought she had found the person that she would spend the rest of her life with, but now she's going through a very messy divorce while trying to pick up the pieces of her life on top of being a good mother to her 4 year old son. She no longer knows who she is anymore, and the chaos juggling being a single mother has her job is suffering as well. Nathan Trainor has a past record of falling for the wrong woman, so his mother & sisters are bound & determined to find him the pe ...more
AC Squared Book Blog
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really love Rachel's writing, she has such a smooth way of writing to make me forget that I'm even reading. It feels like I'm just living this story with the characters.

Lily and Nate were so great to read about. I loved how real the characters were. Lily is just like any other soon to be divorced woman. She's scared to move on, she's scared to live her life and doesn't know where to turn next. This was the perfect time for Nate to be bold and finally ask out Lily. They seem to have this great
Wendy Livingstone
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a new author to me, and I was unsure on what to expect, however, I need not have worried, this author certainly did not disappoint. Lily always thought that she had her life all planned out, and now that she finds herself going through a messy divorce, and being a single mum, the last thing she wants is another relationship. Nathan has also been burnt by his past, and has always had feelings for Lily. Now that they are assigned to work together, can they take a chance on a second chance ...more
Nikki Costello ***Crazy Cajun Book Addicts Blog***
3.5 Stars
I received a complimentary copy of this book through Crazy Cajun Book Addicts for an honest review.

This author is new to me and Someone in the Way was a pretty enjoyable read. The storyline read at a steady pace and the characters were relatable. I can't put my finger on what it was but I guess I was expecting a little bit more to the story after reading the blurb.

Lily is going through a bad divorce and has found herself a single mum to her four year old son. When an opportunity arises
Sandra Loves Reading
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story.
Lily's in the process of divorce and has a young child to bring up on her own.
Nate, works with Lily, and has always loved her from afar as she was married.
Lily and Nate are told to sign an author who is rumoured to want to change houses. Now, this becomes very convoluted with in-laws, ex's, and an author who really is pulling the strings!
The story comes together well and the budding romance is lovely. And Nate, well, he's an absolute gem!
Michelle Heron
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
This book is absoultely beautiful.

Lily and Nathan's story jump right off the page as if your living in their reality.

The ups and downs these characters were faced with, were everyday obstacles.

I loved how real the story was written and how smooth the writing flowed.
Claudia Pinillos
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
« previous 1 3 next »
Rachel Del is a head-in-the-clouds introvert, homebody and thirty-something writer currently living in Las Vegas, Nevada with her husband and son. Originally from Ontario, Canada she works in publishing and spends her free time reading, writing and drinking far too much black coffee.

Find her on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/racheldelbooks and online at www.rachel-del.com

Second Chances (2 books)
  • Fixing Tanner (Second Chances #2)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Windfallen
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Wild Hunger (The Phoenix Pack, #7)
  • Archer's Voice