Start by marking “Direct Fire (A Jake Mahegan Thriller, #4)” as Want to Read:
Direct Fire (A Jake Mahegan Thriller, #4)

Direct Fire

(Captain Jake Mahegan #4)

A Publishers Weekly Best Books of 2017 selection

Direct Fire brings the war on terror to America.

A powerful banker, gunned down in cold blood. A military family, senselessly slaughtered as they sleep. A key general, kidnapped from his farm near Fort Bragg. Atrocities like these are all too common in the Middle East. But this is the United States of America . . .

Time is
Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Published September 25th 2018 by Pinnacle Books (first published December 26th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Direct Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Direct Fire

Start your review of Direct Fire (A Jake Mahegan Thriller, #4)
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to NetGalley for this novel.

An Islamic group is trying to decapitate the US Military, and largely succeed. Jake Mahegan, after shooting his way out of an ambush, makes his way to the rendezvous, and finds himself on the run from the law, while at the same time, trying to stop the terrorists, who have a few creative attacks in store.

I think AJ Tata hit his stride with this one.
The Real Book Spy
See this review and more at www.TheRealBookSpy.com

Former brigadier general turned best-selling author A.J. Tata (Besieged, 2017) kicks off his fourth Jake Mahegan thriller with a powerful opening that introduces readers to Jackknife, a cold-blooded killer who serves as a worthy antagonist and a formidable opponent for Tatas hero.

After slaughtering a billionaire banker and his family in the dark of the night, Jackknife turns his attention to the next name on his listformer Army paratrooper and
Wendy
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If one likes action-packed books about an MC who is out saving the world, this is a book for you. Picked this book up not knowing it's part of a series, so maybe that affects how I liked it. Although the characters and situation are introduced well but maybe I would feel more emotionally attached if I read the start of the series.
Jake Mahegan is a typical action hero. After finding out he's been framed for murder amidst a series of terrorist attacks (cyber and conventional), he's looking for
Cheryl
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clayton Mahegan, the Hawk Wolf, is back in another thriller

Former Army paratrooper, ex-Delta Force operative and Native American from the Outer Banks of North Carolina Chayton "Jake" Mahegan is back in another thriller authored by retired Brigadier General A.J. Tata. The story takes place in North Carolina with flashbacks to a disastrous mission in Syria.

This time Jake is on the run PLUS looking for Syrian terrorists on U.S. soil. Framed for the murder of a family, Jake is doing all he can to
Bill Donhiser
This is my first A.J. Tata novel and I found it to be an excellent adventure albeit similar to many other military thrillers. The plot is great the characters are engaging and the writing is well done. I am going to go back and read the rest of the series in order
Bobbie
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. The story reminds me of Brad Taylor's books. The story is good but there are so many characters and so much going on that the plot sometimes get lost
Lonnie Mixell
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I have read by AJ Tata and I am hooked!
I was totally invested in the characters and the author had me guessing through most of book on a couple of pieces of intrigue and it was a really fun and thrilling story that has me eager to buy the previous books of the series.
John M Bowen
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tony does it again -- he is quickl becoming as 'go to' as Lee Child, Daniel Silva, etc... A great read that makes you think about geopolitical developments in a new light...
Frank Williams
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was AJ Tata's best book yet.
Sean Courtney
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first AJ Tata book that Ive read and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love the way he describes the mountain setting and Jake Mahegan is such a cool character to get to know. Some of the dialogue from the lesser characters was kind of silly and the ending could have been better but overall a fantastic book and Ill be reading more of AJ Tata. ...more
Joe Oaster
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Linda Schmidt-
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not only does AJ Tata write exciting action-novels, but he shows he can also write fascinating psychological studies. His super-hero Jake Mahegan works with a female Army Ranger Cassie Bagwell, along with his former teammates and General Savage to stop a terrorist plot.
Damon Drake
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
AJ Tata has is starting to become a "must read" author to me. after reading "Besieged" last year, I was looking forward to reading his latest Jake Mahegan thriller "Direct Fire".

Direct Fire did not disappoint. in fact, it makes me want to go find every other Jake Mahegan novel Tata has written. I believe this is only #4.

from the beginning, Tata keeps you hooked and this is a fast paced, turn pager, action packed thriller.

I gave a 4 star only b/c I reserve 5 for books that keep me up all night
S. Bomstein
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unbelievable action and energy.

Entwined plots and exhausting action.
Well planned character's. Unusual but believable storylines.
Want to read next book with this team.
Pat Byrnes
Direct Fire is a fly by the seat of your pants THRILLER!!!!

While this is only my second novel Ive read by A J, Im a fan of his writing. I will seek out Mr. Tata for hours of reading enjoyment.

Things are happening in America and across the globe. Are they connected? If so, what is the connection. Well it goes back to a mission from four years ago and General Savage and his band of black ops operators totally messed up and took out civilians. It happens, but someone is out to exact revenge.

Jake
TJ
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5.0

Awesome military thriller!
Helen
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous. A stunning high octane on the seat of your pants read. Starts with a massive glitch of automobiles shutting down and the theft of a Mac truck carrying a nuclear war head and just doesnt stop. Jake Mehegan is in the thick of things dealing with a rogue American military attaché who has an agenda of her own after his sister is killed on her wedding day in Syria and a female ranger trying to locate her kidnaped parents. No doubt about it, a j Tata writes a very real plausible book. My ...more
Eileen
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I found this book was a little slow to,start I was glad I stayed with. Exciting story line which kept my interest
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A.J. Tata's main character, Jake Mahegan, is a very impressive hero, who any reader that enjoys an action filled, non-stop thriller, will want to follow. Direct Fire brings everything that a reader would want. Constant action, incorporated in a mystery that's unnervingly possible, which keeps you turnin the pages to find out what happens next. Terrorists setting up camp in our own backyard, cyber attacks which threaten our infrastructure, and one bad ass hero, Jake Mahegan, to put a stop to it ...more
Randy
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great story by great story teller! Looking forward to the next Jake novel in the series. Keep writing General!
John Bertone Jr.
Now I need to read the rest of the series as well as all the other books Mr. Tata has out. Hopefully, when my book is done and published, it'll be up to the standards of books like this.
Todd Simpson
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant!! A.J Tata is fast becoming one of my favourite Authors. He certainly knows how to write very clever and interesting Action Thrillers. I thoroughly enjoyed the Intensity of this story, and the detail and background he has put into the characters. Jake Mahegan fits the mould perfectly for the smart, tough guy warrior, with his background in Special Forces hes definitely a fighting machine, and someone you want on your side.
The person calling themselves Jacknife was very confident in
Stuart Ashenbrenner
Read more reviews at Ash Reviews

Jake Mahegan has recently been dismissed by the Army. Now, the former Paratrooper and ex-Delta Force Operative is hastily called out to a General Savages home, overlooking a golf course, for a meeting...but it's a trap.

"It's going down right now. Everything, all at once." This is the perfect mantra for this book that we see repeated over and over again, as it is so accurate.

A CEO of United Bank of America, his wife, and child have all been murdered in cold-blood
michelle
* I received a review copy of this book from the publisher for my honest opinion. All opinions are my own.

Former brigadier general turned best-selling author A.J. Tata opens his newest book in the bloodthirsty mind of Jackknife as a powerful banker is gunned down in cold blood. Jackknife is a killer with a message to send to a group of Special Forces members, just the kind of opponent to go up against Tatas protagonist, Jake Mahegan.

Direct Fire is Tatas fourth action packed thrilled focusing on
John Purvis
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Direct Fire" eBook was published in 2017 and was written by A. J. Tata (https://www.ajtata.com). Mr. Tata has published nine novels. This is the fourth in his "Jake Mahegan Thriller" series.

I received an ARC of this novel through https://www.netgalley.com in return for a fair and honest review. I categorize this novel as R because it contains scenes of Violence. The story is set in the contemporary US. The primary character is Jake Mahegan.

Mahegan received a call to meet with General Savage.
Cramer
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steven Zacharius
Another great thriller from Ret. Brigadier General, A. J. Tata. This type of military tech thriller can only be written by somebody who has the direct knowledge of the military like the author. Jake Mahegan, his continuing character, has to try and save the U.S. from potential disaster from terrorists. The technology discussed in the story is great and the action makes this book impossible to put down.
Connie Hamby
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good book

If you like books about North Carolina are if you live here you Will enjoy this book I liked this book
Alan
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another action packed book in this series. Good read!
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each book is better.

• Reaper: Ghost Target (The Reapers #1)
  • Active Measures (Jericho Quinn #8)
  • Red Metal
  • Hunter Killer (Pike Logan #14)
  • Field of Valor (Logan West, #3)
  • Warning Light (Jake Keller #1)
  • Cutting Edge
  • Operator Down (Pike Logan #12)
  • Scorpion Strike (Jonathan Grave #10)
  • All Out War (Eric Steele #2)
  • True Believer (James Reece, #2)
  • Exit Fee (Pike Logan #13.5)
  • Bloody Sunday (Dewey Andreas, #8)
  • Daughter of War (Pike Logan, #13)
  • The Deceivers (John Wells, #12)
  • Man of War (Eric Steele #1)
  • Backlash (Scott Harvath, #19)
  • The Russian (Rob Tacoma #1)
Tony is the bestselling author of 12 novels, including the Jake Mahegan series from Kensington Books, the Reaper Series from St. Martins Press, and the Threat Series from Variance Publishing.

Captain Jake Mahegan (6 books)
  • Foreign and Domestic  (Captain Jake Mahegan, #1)
  • Three Minutes to Midnight (Captain Jake Mahegan, #2)
  • Besieged (Captain Jake Mahegan, #3)
  • Dark Winter (Captain Jake Mahegan #5)
  • Double Crossfire (Captain Jake Mahegan #6)