Start by marking “Truth and Lies (DI Amy Winter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Truth and Lies (DI Amy Winter, #1)

Truth and Lies

(DI Amy Winter #1)

Meet Amy Winter: Detective Inspector, daughter of a serial killer.

DI Amy Winter is hoping to follow in the footsteps of her highly respected police officer father. But when a letter arrives from the prison cell of Lillian Grimes, one half of a notorious husband-and-wife serial-killer team, it contains a revelation that will tear her life apart.

Responsible for a string of h
Published August 30th 2018 by Thomas & Mercer

Maureen
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
A great crime thriller should keep the reader on the edge of their seat as they anticipate what is about to come next - this is where Caroline Mitchell excels and she never lets me down.

DI Amy Winter hopes to be a highly respected police officer just like her father before her, but when she receives a letter from the infamous Lillian Grimes, her whole world promises to fall apart. Grimes is one half of the psychopathic husband and wife team of serial killers. This letter wasn’t sent at random th
(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
A thrilling cat & mouse chase between good & evil!

DI Amy Winter is a strong, resilient and respected police officer. She wants nothing more than to make her recently deceased police officer father proud. Then she receives a letter from Lillian Grimes, one half of a notorious and prolific serial murder duo, claiming she is her birth mother.

This book had some serious good versus evil vibes between Amy & Lillian. I enjoyed their back and forth push and pull. Lillian is pure evil. She i
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it

Beasts of Brentwood killer receives life sentence Lillian Grimes, one half of the deadly duo nicknamed the ‘Beasts of Brentwood’, has been sentenced to life imprisonment at Chelmsford Crown Court for the murder of nine young women.

Justice Michael Devine told the prolific serial killer, who denied all involvement, that she was a danger to the public and should never be released. Bodies of six young women, aged from thirteen to twenty-three, were found on the grounds of 13 Newbold Street in Brent
Meredith
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Suspenseful new police procedural series led by an intelligent DI who has quite an intriguing past.

While DI Amy Winter is morning the death of her beloved father, she is stunned when she receives a letter call from Lillian Grimes, a woman serving life in prison for the murdering the teenage girls that she and her husband kidnapped, raped, and murdered. Lillian makes Amy an offer she can't refuse: She will reveal to Amy where the girls are buried if Amy complies with all of her requests. She also
Christina - Traveling Sister
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5, the ultimate game of cat and mouse stars!!

Meet DI Amy Winter - currently mourning the loss of her beloved and esteemed father Robert Winter. Robert spent the majority of his career working on incarcerating a husband and wife, serial-killing duo dubbed "The Beasts of Brentwood" and finding the remains of three last girls that have been missing since Lillian and Jack grimes were arrested.

I am your birth mother. The person who gave you life.

Amy receives a letter from Lillian Grimes and within
Liz
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

I am a big fan of Caroline Mitchell, especially her Ruby Preston series. So, I was anxious to read about her new DI, Amy Winters. Amy has just lost her adoptive father, a respected police supervisor. Early in the book she learns her birth parents were serial murderers. Her birth mother, still alive and in prison, promises to reveal the whereabouts of three unfound victims if Amy visits. Mitchell does a great job of painting Lillian as a true psychopath. Her promises to provide the information wi
Gary
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of a new series by the Caroline Mitchell featuring DI Amy Winter. I have read every book published by the author and not only enjoyed them immensely but have always been impressed by the consistently high standard set by her. This book is sure to be another top seller and I am sure the series will grow and grow. The main focus of the book "Amy" is complex as all good thriller characters tend to be and she has dark secrets that she would prefer stay that way.
DI Amy Winter h
Brenda - Traveling Sister
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lindsay and I read Truth and Lies with three of our Traveling Sisters and this one goes on my list of one of the best thriller I have read in a while. For the most part we all had similar thoughts on this however one sister did see some things differently

For me these fascinating and interesting characters and the dynamics between them really made the story for me.  Along with the mind games and manipulation played here I was intrigued and chilled at the same time with these mind games.

First we m
Zoe
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gripping, twisty, and sophisticated!

Truth and Lies is an intelligent, suspenseful, police procedural that introduces us to DI Amy Winter, a resilient, determined young woman who finds herself immersed in the investigation to find a missing teen, while also struggling to come to grips with the knowledge that her biological parents were serial killers and three of their victims still need to be found.

The prose is intricate and absorbing. The characters, including the sinister, despicable villaines
Maureen Carden
Caroline Mitchell evidently believes in three and done with her series. A bit nerve wracking for her readers who with three books have enough time to become fond of Mitchell’s characters but hopefully enough not invested enough to heap gentle abuse on her head for starting a new series.
Rest easy my friends, rest easy. Truth and Lies is a stellar beginning to a new series featuring DI Amy Winter. Assuming Amy manages to survive her family.
Amy has a bit of a problem with her relatives; first off,
Hans
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a new series introducing Amy Winter, daughter of 2 serial killers. Full of suspense, unexpected twists and turns. Very very original and oh so good! More Amy Winter please!
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
4.5 stars!

Highly addictive! Gripping suspense! Unique and twisty plot! Incredible characters! I loved this book!

Detective Inspector Amy Winter is shocked when she receives a letter from the infamous and imprisoned serial killer, Lillian Grimes, explaining that she is her birth mother. Lillian is requesting to reunite with Amy in person to disclose the location of three bodies that have been missing for years. Amy must process her entire childhood under a new light, all the while working against
Andrea
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-books
Well what can I say one of the best books I've read this year,love this author's work.its a story of a four year old girl poppy who's parents are serial killers including her sister death.she gets adopted and her name been changed.but her real mother in prison and wants her to visit her as she says her husband jack hidden bodies and would tell her where they are buried as one of the victim mother is dying and wants to know where she is. But it's not so simple.shes a detective and her mother star ...more
Amanda
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
It’s very exciting when an author you love has a new series to sink you’re teeth into and I couldn’t wait to start this book.

D.I. Amy Winters receives a letter, after the death of her police officer father and discovers her real parents are the notorious serial killers “beasts of Brentwood”. Lillian her mother is in prison and will give her the location of 3 bodies, Only if she jumps through hoops for her!!

A wonderful story that depicts good and evil beautifully and has plenty of twists. An end
Bernadette
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, netgalley
4.5 Stars. Truth and Lies is a mystery, a police procedural and a thriller all rolled into one book. The novel tells the story of Amy Winter, a Detective Inspector who is the adopted daughter of Robert, who also worked in law enforcement. Amy grows up knowing nothing of her biological origins. When her beloved father dies, she is contacted by her biological mom, and it’s a shocker. Amy’s parents were Lillian and Jack Grimes, notorious serial killers. Her father is dead but her sociopathic mother ...more
Mandy White
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
Caroline Mitchell has done it again!! DI Amy Winters is amazing and I love her already.... I hope this is the first of a long series about this strong but real detective with a past. If I could give it more than 5 stars I would not hesitate... this book is brilliant!!

This is a police procedural with a twist. Amy Winters wants nothing more than to follow in her highly respected police officer fathers footsteps. She has recently been promoted and life is going well for her. Until she gets a letter
Angela Marsons
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have been following the work of this author from the beginning of her career and I can honestly say that this is her best work to date. I thought I was being incredibly clever in using this book to reward myself for achieving my own quota of words. BIG MISTAKE!!! From the very first word I was captivated and cast my quota aside to finish the book. The author has created some truly standout characters that along with the engrossing plot drive the story forward at breakneck speed. Lillian Grimes ...more
Selena
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Truth and Lies (DI Amy Winter #1) by Caroline Mitchell is an amazing yet dark crime thriller. DI Amy Winter was adopted at four years old, by a police officer and his wife. As an adult, Amy jointed her force just like her father, with whom she lost.

One day she receives a letter from Lillian Grimes. Lillian Grimes is one half of the husband and wife team who were serial killers. Her world is suddenly turned upside down she she finds out that Lillian is her mother.

Lillian is willing to tell Amy
Amy
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Whenever I’m in the mood for a smart, super fast paced thriller that is guaranteed to shock me I grab a Caroline Mitchell book. While I love her psychological thrillers I really am obsessed with her series and while I was sad when her trilogy ended late last year, I was thrilled to find out Truth and Lies is the first book in a brand new series, and let me tell you, it’s one hell of an introduction!

The premise of this is fascinating, you have Amy (great name 😜) who is a dedicated police officer
Mackey
Lies can hurt you but, sometimes, the truth hurts more. Truth and Lies is a chilling new thriller by #CarolineMitchell.

Still reeling from her father’s untimely death, DI Amy Winters wants nothing more than to throw herself back into her police work where she can honor her father’s memory by becoming a well respected cop just like he was. However, fate deals Amy a blow when a letter arrives proclaiming that Amy is, in fact, the daughter of one of the most notorious serial killing couples Great
Pauline
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Truth and Lies by Caroline Mitchell is a police procedural novel that kept me hooked from the beginning. D I Amy Winter is a well respected police officer. After the death of her father also a police officer, Amy is contacted by serial killer Lillian Grimes offering to tell her the resting places of three of her victims who have never been found. Lillian then tells Amy that she is her daughter and was adopted when Lillian was sent to prison. Amy is appalled by this and starts to remember inciden ...more
Gary
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DI Amy Winter h
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I am absolutely loving this first book in a brand new series. I would even go as far as saying this is the authors best book yet.

The story line had me gripped from the off. I mean having serial killers for parents? Well obviously you know that things are going to be very interesting to say the least and I wasn’t disappointed. Amy is such a great character and the fact that she is in the police force makes her true parentage even harder to come to terms with.

So many crime books tend to have men a
Bill Kupersmith
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Since first bursting onto the publishing scene with a true ghost story, Paranormal Intruder, the former police officer Caroline Mitchell has been one of the hardest working writers in the criminal fiction field. She started with DC Jennifer Knight, whose distinctive supernatural powers of perception led her to catch murderers who were not only demonic, they really were demons! I really loved her. One of the principal weaknesses addicts of detective fiction reveal is an allergic response to the p ...more
The Cats Mother
I am completely over books with Lies, Secrets, Girl and Sister in the title, so was not going to request this, but having seen several 5 star reviews from GR friends, and having a weakness for tormented female detective series, went ahead, and I am very glad I did.

In some ways a fairly standard British police procedural, the hook here is that DI Amy Winter is the daughter of an infamous pair of serial killers, responsible for the murders of a series of young women and girls in the mid-eighties.
Chloe
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
DI Amy Winters a smart , dedicated police officer is reeling from her dad’s death when she receives a letter from a Lillian Grimes, who is incarcerated for committing a series of killings with her husband.Claiming to be her biological mother Lillian Grimes promises to reveal the location of three of her victims if Amy visits her in prison and satisfies her list of demands.After meeting Lillian Amy starts to recall her horrifying childhood which is scary enough but has also a missing teenage girl ...more
The Book Review Café
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, top-reads-2018
Every time I see Caroline Mitchell is publishing a new book I get really excited, but when she brings out a new book that’s also the first book in a new crime series well let’s just say my excitement reaches fever pitch. Truth And Lies is the first book in the DI Amy Winter series and what a cracking start to the series it turned out to be. There are so many police procedure crime thrillers on the market, so for me personally to commit to a new crime series it’s got to grab me by the throat, wit ...more
Alina
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
***Note: I received a copy curtesy of Netgalley and Amazon Publishing UK in exchange for an honest review.

As can be seen from the description/synopsis , the idea is very interesting, it's the execution I wasn't thrilled about.

It took me some time to get into the book, as the writing is disruptive and the dialogues seem fake. I was neither impressed by the characters, who either remain flat or they change radically, not following a natural development i.m.o.
The plot was interesting enough to mak
Maureen Carden
Amy has a bit of a problem with her relatives; first off,
Amanda
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

USA Today and Global #1 Bestselling Thriller Author.

Caroline originates from Ireland and now lives with her family in a pretty village on the coast of Essex. A former police detective, Caroline has worked in CID and specialised in roles dealing with vulnerable victims, high-risk victims of domestic abuse, and serious sexual offences. She now writes full time.
Set in Shoreditch, London, her DS Ruby

DI Amy Winter (2 books)
  • The Secret Child (DI Amy Winter #2)
“One lie spoils a thousand truths.’ –African proverb” 0 likes