Start by marking “Make Time: How to Focus on What Matters Every Day” as Want to Read:
Make Time: How to Focus on What Matters Every Day

Make Time: How to Focus on What Matters Every Day

From the New York Times bestselling authors of Sprint, a simple 4-step system for improving focus, finding greater joy in your work, and getting more out of every day

Nobody ever looked at an empty calendar and said, "The best way to spend this time is by cramming it full of meetings!" or got to work in the morning and thought, Today I'll spend hours on Facebook! Yet that's
Published September 25th 2018 by Currency

To ask other readers questions about Make Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make Time

Imola
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Make Time was a game-changer for me. It gave me permission to work on my own priorities instead of reacting to everyone else's. I was a test reader for this book and had the chance to practice the techniques for the past 6 months. I have to say, I've noticed a big change in not just how I work but also what I consider important.

One of my biggest fears in life is the sense that I'm not using my time in the best way that I can. There's so much I want to make time for but it just never works out -
Michael
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I first finished the book, my gut was a 3-star review for 'good' but not really adding to the conversation from other treatise on productivity and focus - then, I started to experiment and implement some of the suggestions. I tried removing email and Safari from my iphone, setting an intention outside my normal routines, and planning more of my day outside of work - and decided to up the book to 4 stars. I don't think Make Time breaks new ground, but it does take a lot of strong concepts an ...more
Tim Lancaster
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid. Much of the advice is not necessarily new, but it is presented simply and in a memorable framework.
Karis
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Useful and practical advice about honoring our priorities in life, written in a personable and humorous style.
Katy
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Here’s an embarrassing fact about me- most self help books rub me the wrong way because I hate being criticized and I hate being told what to do. My petty self has abandoned many a non fiction advice book for ‘tone’ issues. Luckily for me, something about this book resonated and I was able to accept their suggestions as helpful logic that I could choose to employ myself, or not. Maybe it was something about their little doodle faces but Jake and JZ came across as friendly and non judgemental. Ma ...more
Azita Rassi
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable book with lots of helpful practical tips. I look forward to using some of the suggested tactics in 2019, and I might want to listen to this book again. The audiobook was delightfully performed, too. A great book to put an end to a great year of reading.
Vuk Trifkovic
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
In which two people who worked very hard on making all these apps tell you how to put in the effort to ignore the said apps in order not to go completely insane.

Some good tips. Some typical SV bullshit. I suspect very useful and effective though.
Robin
We read Cal Newport's Deep Work recently for book club at work, and I thought I'd supplement it with this while I was engaged in a concerted effort to be more thoughtful about the way I apply my attention, to what, and why. This is a fast read that works quite well as a peppy companion volume to Newport's more discursive approach.

In fact, this book is almost disastrously cheerful. The bright yellow case wrap framing the open book in your hands, the cartoonish illustrations, and the chat-bubble
Zoë
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I started this book almost six months ago, and really enjoyed the beginning. It provides some helpful productivity advice in a light and breezy writing style. There's nothing really groundbreaking here, but I still found it helpful: the key ideas are to choose one Highlight for each day, use various techniques to increase your focus (often by reducing distractions) and increase your energy, and refine your process continuously by reflecting on what works and what doesn't. Many of the techniques ...more
Erin
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a public librarian, who prefers borrowing books over purchasing them, this is one I’m considering buying for keeps. It’s logical, simple, easily digestible, and doesn’t ask for the moon. I highly recommend to anyone who feels overwhelmed at work, at home, in life, etc.
Alli B
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is kind of a game changer for me. I’m implementing many of these strategies and can already see myself happier and more productive, especially at work.
Fanny Bergerstam
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book in so many ways, and I am confident that I will continue to enjoy it long after I finished it. An easy, fun and uplifting book about taking control of your time, step by step. After reading this I started reflecting about how my life felt like a blur, constantly waiting for the future to come to me. I came to understand the importance of the everyday life, and how I could stop living in default mode.
Kristen
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this book as part of my never ending quest to manage my time effectively. I’ve been giving a lot of thought to my relationship with email and to do lists. This was surprisingly charming and had some really interesting ideas about those things. I plan to try their recommendations about maximizing caffeine. While these men talked about family a small amount, I’m always looking for more about how to prioritize family “highlights” with work “highlights.”
Dan Connors
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books
This is a breezy little book with cute illustrations that covers an important topic- how to not waste your life. There are so many more distractions now than just a generation ago. The authors call them the busy bandwagon and the infinity pools. They reflect the infinite time-wasters that occupy a majority of our lives- from spending too much time on emails and You Tube videos to watching television.

In our immersive world, they have a deceptively simple system to make sure that you get the most
Martin
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think most of us know the empty feeling after realising you have refreshed your news feed for the 17th time. Not feeling any wiser or any more fulfilled. Or generally feeling like you’re running idle, not doing the things you really want to be doing?

For me, this book has helped me take a step back and zoom out on my own life. I would describe the book as offering a kind of structured ‘life-hack’ framework for asking yourself what you want to be doing and making sure you do it. It offers tools
Erik
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is eminently practical. While praising systems like Get Things Done, it strikes a middle ground for those who have fallen off the wagon more than once. The approach is simple and focused on you, not your to do list. You are encouraged to choose a highlight each day, which can be for work or personal growth; the goal is to leave you fulfilled each day. Their four steps — highlight, laser focus, energize, and reflect — are simple and backed by a total of 87 tactics. The idea is to try a ...more
Heidi
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Because of work issues, I have really tried to focus on practical "self-help" books in the last year or so, and this book fit the bill.
As with many self-help books, the information isn't really new but in this case, the information was presented in both personal experience and practical suggestions, which for me, was super helpful. I can understand concepts quite well; however, the execution is usually my downfall because I don't always know HOW to go about making solid changes in my life. This
Marc Wernicke
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cliff Chew
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Firstly, this looks like a thick (and feels like a heavy) book, but the book is also extremely easy to read. You can see it as a quick-fix manual for the modern day. I like it how they didn't come in all sagey on everyone and decided to bestow advice like guru. Rather, they went with the "this is what I tried, you should experiment with your own life" approach, which is really easy to read for me.

Interestingly, just before reading this book, I was already starting on my own tech detox, deleting
Kym
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: focus
What a great little book! Make Time provides a personable, insightful, and humorous look at how we structure our days -- and then details useful, practical hacks for helping us focus on our own priorities. There are many, many nuggets of practical wisdom in this book, and I will certainly refer to the various tactics again and again.

Highly recommended for all who want to focus on what really matters in their lives.

(I notice that many of the critical reviews on Goodreads mention that it is imposs
Romans Karpelcevs
The books has some good advice, and it inspires to clean up your life and attention. My biggest problem was, it's too basic. I'm already aware of many of these techniques, as most are retold from many other sources and researches.

My biggest issues with ideas like "highlight for the day" is not that I don't find time to do the important thing, it's that my procrastination is usually caused by fear, anxiety or other mental things. It's much easier to uninstall Facebook, book a calendar slot, plan
Ana Ávila
I hesitated between 3 and 4 stars for this book, so let's say I gave it 3.5 stars.

I think the problem was I read the audio version. It's an enjoyable audiobook, but I don't think "Make Time" will be very valuable if you only listen to it. It has too many tips and tricks and it can quickly become overwhelming for someone who's trying to be more productive. Even the eBook would be impractical. If you really want to implement the authors' advice, get a physical copy.

Personally, as I am constantly r
Michal Meško
Mar 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Three stars at best. I really liked their previous Sprint book, but frankly, I don’t get the hype around this one. A series of few long blogposts would do well, as the concept can be explained in few paragraphs and there are almost no tips that would bear new ideas. The whole concept seems to be quite biased by two authors’ experiences and therefore many tips have “niche” feeling and lack salt of universal principles.

On the bright side, the book reads well and fast (but also from the format and
Janelle
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
While the book is full of a lot of advice you already know--get some sleep and exercise, eat right, manage your priorities--its value is primarily in the tricks it provides on how to modify your environment to make it possible. The ideas range from radical (remove email apps from your phone) to mundane (strategies for manipulating your to-do list).

The book doesn't try to be more than it is, but it's a good read, especially for the middle section.
Christine
The content of this book is not revolutionary for those familiar with popular time management literature (i.e. limit the number of things you focus on each day, limit distractions such as technology, eat healthy food and exercise regularly, and reflect and adapt accordingly). However, the book uses clever labels and fun illustrations for well-worn concepts and packages the dense literature about maximizing time into an easy, accessible read. The ultimate takeaway is we can be more productive by ...more
Guru
May 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, quick read. Not all the life hacks may be applicable for a change, the authors are not forcing something down your throat. Essentially, it is a more applied version of productivity literature like "Deep Work", "Getting Things Done", "Flow", etc. - the summary is disconnect and focus. The authors give a long list of tools that found useful (and this is available on their website).

I listened to the audiobook and the narration is pretty good.
Annie
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yes, it is a "how-to"...but I am glad I went with my impulse to take a look. What I liked most was that the authors acknowledged that making life changes is not simple and that the process, by its very nature, is individual. Their suggestions are down to earth and include references to research as well as examples from their own experience. The language and the book's formatting add to the appeal. (Don't let the Dewey number fool you -- the authors' ideas can be applied to any aspect of life).
Jaana Metsamaa
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved their Design Sprint book. It was epic. Therefore, my expectations for their second book were sky high. It’s definitely not as good. This book takes from many different places all the good advice and puts it together into one actionable plan but I wouldn’t say it actually brings anything new to the table. So if you for some reason have read any habit books or deep work books or other productivity books from last 3 years then you will probably have already heard all that is here. That said ...more
Sara
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This past month, I started to become overwhelmed with a long list of to-do's that never seemed to get "to-done". Decided to listen to this in the car on the way to work this week.

I still cant decide what I enjoy more--the nerd-iness of the authors or the practicality behind their tactics. Either way, I know this isn't the last time I will re-listen to this book.
Kris
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a practical, easy read. The format makes it quick and efficient. I have been reading a lot about how to make life more productive and happier and stop wasting it arguing with people on Facebook. This is a nice balance. These are tech guys. They get how much of an “infinity pool” some things can be, and that not all tips will work for everyone. Even if you only apply a few of these, it will probably improve your life.

• Meeting Design: For Managers, Makers, and Everyone
  • Creating Flow with OmniFocus
  • Craft a Life You Love: Infusing Creativity, Fun & Intention into Your Everyday
  • Solving Product Design Exercises: Questions & Answers
  • Designing and Conducting Mixed Methods Research
  • Liminal Thinking
  • The Activist's Handbook: A Primer
  • Monopoly Capital: An Essay on the American Economic and Social Order
  • Be Everything at Once: Tales of a Cartoonist Lady Person
  • Service Design for Business: A Practical Guide to Optimizing the Customer Experience
  • A Good Birth: Finding the Positive and Profound in Your Childbirth Experience
  • Why Drag?
  • The Whole Health Life
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • Doing Capitalism in the Innovation Economy: Markets, Speculation and the State
  • Designing Together: The Collaboration and Conflict Management Handbook for Creative Professionals
  • It Doesn't Have to Be Crazy at Work
  • Slow: Simple Living for a Frantic World
“Every time you check your email or another message service, you’re basically saying, “Does any random person need my time right now?” 4 likes
“Believe in your Highlight: It is worth prioritizing over random disruption.” 1 likes