Start by marking “The Art of the Start: The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything” as Want to Read:

A new product, a new service, a new company, a new division, a new organization, a new anything—where there’s a will, here’s the way. It begins with a dream that just won’t quit, the once-in-a-lifetime thunderbolt of pure inspiration, the obsession, the world-beater, the killer app, the next big thing. Everyone who wants to make the world a better place becomes possessed b ...more
Published September 9th 2004 by Portfolio

To ask other readers questions about The Art of the Start, please sign up.
Jesus Garcia go to amazon, buy it, dowload it instantly to your kindle app

Chad Warner
Dec 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chad by: Momentum MI
An excellent handbook for those starting a business or non-profit, stressing function over form and action over planning. The lessons apply to organizations whether they're bootstrapping or seeking funding from venture capitalists or angel investors. Kawasaki includes plenty of historical examples and firsthand experience, making this a practical real-world resource that's more valuable than a simply conceptual textbook.

Guy Kawasaki is a respected serial entrepreneur whose articles I've read in
Quinn
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
Hmm... Pretty boring for a book that is suppose to light a fire. The real art of starting is starting, which I did, I just couldn't finish it.
Conrad Zero
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Business start ups planning to use venture capital to grow into a megacorp
Shelves: non-fiction, business
Not bad, but focused on a very niche market. The Art of the Start by Guy Kawasaki is subtitled "The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything." Unfortunately, that isn't entirely true, unless you consider reading only the chapters that pertain to you. The book does have a very specific audience in mind, and the subtitle should have been "How to take your start-up-business-idea and use venture capital to become the next Apple/Nike/Coke/Microsoft."

Like I said, pretty niche,
Anita Campbell
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think this is one of the best startup books out there -- and Kawasaki's best book. But it's not a book for everyone.

The focus is on tech entrepreneurs. While much of the advice is applicable to other industries, the book will hit the bullseye specifically with those starting technology businesses.

Another thing about this book: parts of it contain advice for those seeking funding from angel and VC investors. Since that covers a tiny percentage of the entrepreneurial population, it's really targ
John Montgomery
A book by Guy Kawasaki is always a fun read. Kawasaki has a great sense of humor and is not afraid to speak his truth. The Art of the Start and Rob Adams' A Good Hard Kick in the Ass are two of my favorite books about the process of starting a company. Both authors speak their truth.

Kawasaki has an innate sense of how much information the brain can absorb at any one time. This book is composed of lots of digestible nuggets of advice, which he brings to life with stories and quotations. Kawasaki'
Lance
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up earlier in the year while browsing in the bookstore. That's partly why I picked up the book; I succumbed to a dangerous moment. Putting me in a bookstore is like putting an alcoholic in a bar -- we're both going to get something.

Yet I also found the subtitle enchanting. "The Time-Tested, Battle-Hardened Guide for Anyone Starting Anything." I was initially intrigued by the idea of starting my life over again, so I sat down on the floor in the bookstore aisle to see what this
Matthew Cooney
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Accessible with great, practical advice, especially regarding the forming of a team and bootstrapping versus VC funding. Much of what he's written is consistent with what I'm learning on the Meetup/networking circuit here in Boston.

You can skim through the social media chapters (it's dated - particular emphasis on Google+).

I recommend to anyone considering taking the plunge or actually plunging.
ShaiMaa
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: entrepreneurship
كتاب جاي كاواساكي ”فن البداية – الدليل المثبت بالزمن والمحسن بالتجربة لأي شخص يريد أن يبدأ أي شيء“، يعد من كلاسيكيات الكتب التي تحدثت عن ريادة الأعمال، وهو دليل مبسط مباشر يسعى لتحفيز رواد الأعمال الجددد على البدء فوراً، من خلال أحد عشر فصلاً، تفصل المعارف الأساسية اللازمة لقيادة العمل التجاري الناشئ نحو النجاح.

حيث يقودك المؤلف إلى مغامرة مثيرة، في عالم أنشاء الأعمال التجارية، يغلب فيها الطابع الفني على الجانب العلمي، بداية من جمع المال، وحتى توظيف العمالة المناسبة، وذلك في شكل دليل أساسي لأي شخ
Alison P
May 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've read the first 20 pages of a lot of supposedly similar books and given up on them. Time, after all, is one of the most valuable assets to an entrepreneur, and I won't have mine wasted. But with The Art of the Start I was learning and thinking on every page, and genuinely got excited about my own business by reading this book; it doesn't get much better than that.

Guy Kawasaki has a gift for getting right to the heart of an issue, in a no-nonsense way, which of course every entrpreneur needs;
Michael Finocchiaro
The Art of the Start (2004) is another killer crash course but this time in starting stuff. It is clear that Guy took away wheelbarrows of experience and war stories from his stint at Apple and that he has turned that into gold at his current venture, http://www.garages.com – who, incidentally, helps find venture capital for startups in SillyValley. This book is short, witty, readable and an essential “pump you up” for those thinking of starting a business or a venture or a project or whatever. ...more
Emily
May 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Fun, informative read from someone who knows what he's talking about. He includes interesting and memorable stories to illustrate his points. He also provides enough examples and details that you feel that you have a chance of actually implementing what he suggests without belaboring it or overgeneralizing to the point of uselessness.

Particularly liked the chapters on "being a mensch" and rainmaking. He advocates a boot-strapping, "get it done" business mentality with a solid core of integrity.

C
Lynn
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
The draw back of listening to this on audiobook as opposed to reading it in print was that I didn't do the exercises or write down ideas of things that I really thought were important ... it is hard to do when driving 65 miles per hour down the highway!

But it is my hope to re-listen to this book soon so that ideas can percolate in my head and turn into action.

This breaks the project into many points. If you are starting a business or a church group or a new hobby; you need a plan. All projects s
kareem
Aug 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
original review:

I first heard of Guy Kawasaki when his brilliant college graduation speech passed through my email client several years ago. His speech impressed with his practical insight, entertainment value, and conciseness. I later learned that he had evangelized the original Macintosh while at Apple, which made his book on startups a no-brainer read for me.

The Art of the Start is a quick read, and is written in Kawasaki's entertaining and informative
Heba
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
the most beautiful stories in this book "Daniel J. Simons of the University of Illinois and Christopher F.
Chabris of Harvard University ran an interesting experiment that has
rainmaking implications. They asked students to watch a video of
two teams of players throwing basketballs to one another. The students'
task was to count how many passes one team made to their
teammates.Thirty-five seconds into the video, an actor dressed as a gorilla
entered the room the players were in, thumped his chest, and
Herve
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Art of the Start is a great book because it inspires. Guy Kawasaki, the author, does tell you how to build a convincing vision, a convincing pitch. It is not about writing a 40-page business plan. It is about the “value of making meaning” which may induce making money. The book is clear, simple and once you have read it, you will not see things the same way… go, run and buy it!

A brief quote from the book which illustrates why start-ups are important.

“Innovation often originates outside exist
Lamec Mariita
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book was funny and inspiring. It gives you tips and advices on how to launch your company or project. A very quick read that cuts to the chase and provides insight that every Entrepreneur with or without a plan should read. The book written in a style that is very entertaining, yet contains so much wisdom that it feels like you have Guy sitting beside you as mentor. It's the book you should select if you want to read one book about start ups.
Joe Robles
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: executive-shelf
There's a reason this book is recommended reading for anyone thinking of starting a business! It has great ideas that even an existing company could use to help make their business better.

The book is primarily focused on tech start-ups, which makes sense, but even if you're planning on starting a brick and mortar store you can adapt the ideas to fit your business.

Definitely read whether you're planning on selling cupcakes or software.
Loic Banet
Mar 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
I was quite disappointed with this book and found it empty. It's a good introduction without any particular ideas. I mean they are many challenging startups books with great ideas, from Eric Reis, Peter Thiel, Ben Horovitz.
This book is nothing but a summary of facts. The worst thing is that most of these facts are obvious or not true anymore. I mean who does a 30 pages business plan nowadays ?
In short only read this book if you want a new conversation topic at the dinner table.
Dave Charbonneau
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of four books I recommend for taking ideas from mind to market. Kawasaki breaks things down into simple steps. This is the "How-To" outline to start any project; as well as how-to present the project to prospective partners, investors, or customers. Combined with the right philosophy, this book should help any project get off the ground without all the useless rhetoric.

You can see this book in action as I move projects forward at http://SelfEnterpriser.com
Todd Ramsey
Mar 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
There are very few books that I've read in one day. This is one of them. Simple, practical and incredibly valuable, this book is a straight forward guide to starting a company, non-profit or church – though the latter group will have to drawn some conclusions of their own, as the book is definitely targeted to those looking to create a new product or service.

I strongly recommend this book.
Alena B.
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
To start your business first of all you need the idea that will change the world. If you have it, this book will help you to represent it in the right way. The advises are simple and obvious but nonetheless are still brilliant. This is a desk book for all beginners
Jessica
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
I'd heard good things about this book, but ultimately found it disappointing. Might be ideal for someone just entering the business world, but as the owner of a small design studio I found much of the advice to be useless or outdated.
Mark Manderson
Nov 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
I found this difficult to sit through. A lot of common sense advice such as "bounce ideas off of many people as you'll get more feedback".
Zahid Aashaa
Awe+some=Cool.
Omar Halabieh
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Below are key excerpts from the book that I found particularly insightful:

1- "Great companies. Great divisions. Great schools. Great churches. Great not-for-profits. When it comes to the fundamentals of starting up, they are more alike than they are different. The key to their success is to survive the microscope tasks while bringing the future closer."

2- "GIST (GREAT IDEAS FOR STARTING THINGS): 1. MAKE MEANING 2. MAKE MANTRA. 3. GET GOING. 4. DEFINE YOUR BUSINESS MODEL. No 5. WEAVE A MAT (MILES
Ray Jackson
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The GIST of this book is that it’s about the PURPOSE of everything an entrepreneur experiences in building a successful startup. This book is clearly exclusive as it is written to address key issues of entrepreneurship for many reasons briefed below. Guy Kawasaki has used his expertise on this subject from various aspects of his career being an evangelist, an entrepreneur & a venture capitalist. This gives Kawasaki the perfect leverage to attract and give the reader an interactive experience ...more
Joe Kovacs
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Entrepreneurs and hopeful entrepreneurs
I read some Goodreads reviews before contributing my own input here. Usually I don't do that as I'm concerned that doing so may influence my comments. But in this case, I'm glad I did. While some reviewers praised Guy Kawasaki for providing a great nuts-and-bolts approach to starting "anything", as he claims as the premise for his book, others were critical of its simplicity. In other words, some reviewers wished there had been more detail put into the pages. The reason I'm glad I read these rev ...more
Akavit
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
One of the best startup book I've ever read. It's short but concise and get to the point really quick.
Dane Rodriguez
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: money
Galileo Cruz
Un libro recomendable para emprendedores
  • Essentials of Accounting
  • Growing a Business
  • The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course in Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • Green to Gold: How Smart Companies Use Environmental Strategy to Innovate, Create Value, and Build Competitive Advantage
  • Escape from Cubicle Nation: From Corporate Prisoner to Thriving Entrepreneur
  • It's Not About the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance
  • Hiring Smart!: How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game
  • The Knack: How Street-Smart Entrepreneurs Learn to Handle Whatever Comes Up
  • The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully
  • Eric Sink on the Business of Software
  • Principles of Statistics
  • The Bootstrapper's Bible: How to Start and Build a Business with a Great Idea and (Almost) No Money
  • Ready, Fire, Aim: Zero to $100 Million in No Time Flat
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Seeing What's Next: Using the Theories of Innovation to Predict Industry Change
  • Making Things Happen: Mastering Project Management
  • Jump Start Your Business Brain: Scientific Ideas and Advice That Will Immediately Double Your Business Success Rate
  • Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Practice and Principles
I was born in Honolulu, Hawaii in 1954. My family lived in a tough part of Honolulu called Kalihi Valley. We weren’t rich, but I never felt poor-because my mother and father made many sacrifices for my sister and me. My mother was a housewife, and my father was a fireman, real estate broker, state senator, and government official during his long, distinguished career.

I attended Iolani School where
“The next time you think that there's something that you "can't live without", wait for a week and then see if you're still alive or not” 17 likes
“Many years ago Rudyard Kipling gave an address at McGill University in Montreal. He said one striking thing which deserves to be remembered. Warning the students against an over-concern for money, or position, or glory, he said: “Some day you will meet a man who cares for none of these things. Then you will know how poor you are.” —Halford E. Luccock” 3 likes