Start by marking “Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody (Barry Trotter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody (Barry Trotter, #1)

Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody

(Barry Trotter #1)

Barry Trotter: And the Unauthorized Parody
Published June 25th 2002 by Fireside (first published October 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody, please sign up.
Liz Depends on what else they're a fan of. If you're a fan of "Harry Potter," and also "South Park," "Beavis and Butthead," stoner flicks, or especially…moreDepends on what else they're a fan of. If you're a fan of "Harry Potter," and also "South Park," "Beavis and Butthead," stoner flicks, or especially "Bored of the Rings," I HIGHLY recommend this book. (less)
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth GilbertThe Twilight Saga by Stephenie MeyerTwilight by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer
Books not to read
227 books — 177 voters
Nightlight by The Harvard LampoonThe Hunger Pains by The Harvard LampoonThe Sorrows of Young Mike by John ZelaznyNew Moan by Stephfordy MayoTwilite by Stephen Jenner
Best Parodies
132 books — 141 voters

More lists with this book...

Callie Rose Tyler
Mar 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-give-up
Ugh, this was abysmal, truly terrible. I moderately enjoyed Nightlight: A Parody so I thought I'd give this a try. This is not even remotely funny, it's just stupid. Just changing the names of things does not a parody make, especially when the name changes themselves are uninspired and humorless.

You can find a parody on YouTube that will give you more laughs in 1 minute than the hours it will take you to trudge through this crap. Seriously, you want Harry Potter humor? Just visit Google.

Winston Jen
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I simply cannot compliment the author and the narrator enough. Not only is it a-laugh-a-line funny, but the high-level ventriloquism Christopher uses adds a level of shine that outstrips almost any reading experience. Just wait until you hear and imagine Barry Trotter hit the redial button on his uncle's address book. There are also references to the top actors and actresses of the day, but that doesn't really impede this book's withstanding of the test of time.

The book starts off simply, with B
Glenn
Feb 16, 2009 rated it did not like it
Did you ever read Bored of the Rings? The Harvard Lampoon’s parody of Tolkien is one of the funniest little books I ever read. Crude, adolescent, and now terribly dated, it was also witty, inventive, and most of all funny. With fond memories of that parody in mind, I was looking forward to Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody. While it has all of the crudity and adolescence of it’s illustrious predecessor, it fall short in one major category. It isn’t all that funny. While the Harry Potter ...more
Philip
Feb 08, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: potter fans who are scraping the barrel
Shelves: fantasy, children, fiction
I got to page 70, but didn't get any further because I found it rather boring. What humour there was seemed rather dry and dull: calling Fred and George "Ferd and Jorge" (or whatever it was) isn't my idea of good wit. There was little plot, which mostly seemed to centre around how run-down everything was.

I found the original Harry Potter books were funnier. And the stories had more substance. My advice: stick with them.
Amelia
I could write a really long review explaining the manifold ways in which Barry Trotter and the Shameless Parody was a) stupid b) really stupid c) really really stupid and d) disgusting but I'm not going to waste my time when I can sum it up in a few words: endless toilet humour and sex jokes. Strangely I don't find the idea of Dumbledore pissing on a model of Harry or Hermione's top being turned invisible absolutely fucking hillarious, I wonder why? Maybe because I'm not a thirteen year old boy? ...more
Roisin
Sep 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry potter fans, anyone who wants a laugh
I read this book and although I was confused (seems to be an extended theme in my reviews) at first if I liked it or not. However as I read on I found it to be hillarious and it's spontaneous way of creating odd situations for the characters. Also the ending really throws you, But it's a good throwing, it took me a while to catch up with the book but toher than that it was a wonderfully funny read.
Schnicklfritz
Mar 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-finished
I'm not gonna finish this crap! And I'm not saying this because I Love Harry Potter and cannot laugh about parodies! It's just stupid and exaggerated! It's like the Author put every thought he had into one big bowl and picked randomly which one to use next!
Cyan Wisp
Sep 30, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who think the title is funny
Horrible. Unfunny. "Humour" in this book consists of having silly names for well known people and things. A chore to read. Novelty lasts about 1, maybe 2 pages. [Zzzz]
Christine
The most stupid and unfunny book I've ever started to read...
Brian McDonald
This is definitely the stupidest book I've read in a long time. It was kind of funny in parts, but mostly just ridiculous. Fortunately, it's not very long.
Beth
Feb 16, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Beth by: don't remember...but they should be kicked in the teeth
Shelves: humor, i-give-up, hated-it
This was one of the dumbest things I ever read.

It tried too hard. It started out funny but got insanely annoying very, very fast. Skip it.
Leah
Jan 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The Barry Trotter books are parodies on the actual series. They are quite hilarious and worth a read if you have some extra time on your hands. They do however, become a bit wearisome at points, since they, in now way, can measure up to the fabulosity of the original series.
Mark Bluett
It was definitely as funny as you would expect a parody book to be but does take itself seriously at times. It obviously takes from Harry Potter but creates new ideas about the wizarding world
Raima
Mar 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let me clear a few things before I start reviewing this satire. I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter series. They were the first ever series I read and it was love at first sight, or should I rather say, love at first read. I immediately fell in love with the writing, the plot, the twists, the places and especially the amazing characters. Each and every single detail mesmerised me and left me in awe. For me, it's still the perfect novel (series) ever written.

Moving ahead, I bought this parody to know
Jacob
Aug 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
I rarely rate a book before I finish it... but then, I rarely decide flat-out to not finish a book. I can usually at least CONVINCE myself there is a chance that I'm not wasting my time, that I'll get around to it eventually.

Not in this case.

There is exactly two demographics for Barry Trotter--people who read the first Harry Potter book and didn't care for it (and who have a crude sense of humor), and people who were forced to see the movie and hated it.

Every single character is a cop-out, for
Erin
Jul 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
I HATED IT. There are very few books that I will not finish and this is one of them. It bills itself as a parody of Harry Potter. It had the potential to be really funny, but I didn't find it funny. The facet that Gerber changed the names (Harry to Barry) wasn't too funny. He thought that being mean-spirited about everything would translate to humor, which it doesn't. I wish I could give it zero stars.
April Helms
Mar 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
Recommended to April by: Nigel
Shelves: spoof, collection
A hysterical wink and poke parody of the Harry Potter series. Barry Trotter is a n'er do well, a perpetual student at Hogwash. But a movie deal threatens his idylic slacker lifestyle. The humor ranges from sophmoric to sophisticated. Fair warning: this is really for adults only.
melydia
Jun 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Though it had its funny bits (I still can't get over the name Lord Valumart), all in all it didn't quite amuse me as much as I'd expected it to. But it kept me entertained while I waited for my car to get fixed, so it was worth reading. :)
Joey Woolfardis
[Quick review from memory until I re-read and re-review at a later date:

I mean, really. Vaguely funny but a definite rider on someone else's success. Basically fan fiction? I just feel I need to re-read to understand why I bought the next two...]
Henrisha
Sep 30, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
a very, very bad (and boring) book.
Emily
Apr 07, 2009 rated it did not like it
Worst.Book.Ever. I wanted it to be funny so badly because I love good parodies, but this was in no way funny. It was just really lame.
Anna Sörries
Apr 10, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed-books
This was bad. Really really bad. Not funny.
Lizzi Crystal
Nov 08, 2007 rated it did not like it
While trying to be funny, it fell into a sort of annoying crudeness, and the best part about it was getting it over with. Best skipped, I think.
Michelle
Dec 25, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a spoof on Harry Potter. It is a short book, but I didn't think it was that funny. I would rather just read any Harry Potter book instead.
Susan Maclean
Dec 22, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Rubbish! Got to about page 30 and it stank so bad.....
Patrick W.
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody
By Michael Gerber

Here’s the thing about keeping a To Be Read stack of books on the corner of your desk or nightstand. You may not get to them right away, but meanwhile you’re buying more TBR books. The ones at the bottom of the growing stack get moved to a shelf, and then others get placed in front of them on the shelf. Then someday while searching for an obscure treatise about the mating cycle of the African tsetse fly, at the back of your shelf you come
Tara Scherner de la fuente
Talent-wise, this book is up there, striking the right balance between parody and being its own thing--plus adept writing underneath it all. And that's what kept me reading to the end and glad that I did. I enjoyed the conceits. But for me, it's only three stars and I don't plan to read any of the others because...the parody/slapstick could have been just as good (again, the writer is a talented one) without digs to homosexuality, mental challenges, and...just some other unnecessary crassness to ...more
Sarika Patkotwar
May 31, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
*This review was initially published on The Readdicts Book Blog. For more reviews, go here .

I have one word to describe this book- STUPID. Honestly, I expected Barry Trotter and the Shameless Parody to be hilarious because well, it's a parody. But instead, it turned out to be intolerable, unnecessary and straight up stupid.

Barry Trotter had been lying on my shelf for so long that I finally decided to give it a go. I remember browsing through this book back when I was a teen and my world revolve
Gabby
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-book-jar-2018
Rating - 2.5
(Warning, strong language, used completely for comedic purposes. I’m not mad)

This book was a complete headfuck. Insanely clever, but in the end- a giant mess.
For what it was, I quite enjoyed it. However it’s not spectacular and the story was pretty shit and confusing 70% of the time.
The ending was completely fucked and the author even made a side-note to explain that even he had no idea what he was writing.
A quick read, and something to consider if you won’t get offended by Potter-sh
René Roth
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shameless cash grab, honestly advertised as being a shameless cash grab. While I did find some situations in it moderately funny, this is the print version of what would otherwise be a below-average so-unfunny-it-hurts-and-only-sometimes-becomes-funny-again fan fiction.
There are a few sentences in this thing - and I'm ashamed to say - that actually made me laugh out loud, but they're not worth fighting your way through the rest of it.

It's not funny enough to be a comedy.
It's not deconstructing H
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Soddit: Or, Let's Cash in Again
  • Bored of the Rings: A Parody of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
  • After Image (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 2, #7)
  • Bad Bargain (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 2, #5)
  • Penn & Teller's How to Play in Traffic
  • Blackout (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)
  • Die Bedrohung
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Almanac: History
  • Super Chill: A Year of Living Anxiously
  • Doctor Who: The Day of the Troll
  • New Moan: The Twishite Saga - A Parody
  • The Colour of Magic: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • The Best of Dear Coquette: Shady Advice From A Raging Bitch Who Has No Business Answering Any Of These Questions
  • Mylingen (Pax, #3)
  • Lehrerkind: Lebenslänglich Pausenhof
  • Goodnight Bush
  • Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game
  • Squirm: Virgin Captive of the Billionaire Biker Tentacle Monster (The Squirm Files, #1)
Parodist, author of Barry Trotter series, parodies of Harry Potter books. Also known as Mike Gerber or Michael Allen Gerber.

For the business author, see Michael E. Gerber.

Barry Trotter (3 books)
  • Barry Trotter and the Unnecessary Sequel: The Book Nobody Has Been Waiting for (Barry Trotter, #2)
  • Barry Trotter and the Dead Horse (Barry Trotter, #3)
“Sauber gemacht wird erst, wenn einem der Dreck Tränen in die Augen treibt!” 3 likes