Start by marking “New Kid” as Want to Read:
New Kid

New Kid

(New Kid #1)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  16,785 ratings  ·  1,616 reviews
Perfect for fans of Raina Telgemeier and Gene Luen Yang, New Kid is a timely, honest graphic novel about starting over at a new school where diversity is low and the struggle to fit in is real, from award-winning author-illustrator Jerry Craft.

Seventh grader Jordan Banks loves nothing more than drawing cartoons about his life. But instead of sending him to the art school
Published February 5th 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about New Kid, please sign up.
Kate Yes, you can read this book.…moreYes, you can read this book. (less)

·  16,785 ratings  ·  1,616 reviews

Start your review of New Kid
Betsy
Gaps. Sometimes they’re all that I can see.

Imagine you have a brain that allows you to retain information in compartmentalized slots. You have chosen the field of “librarian” so this trait is useful in your day-to-day work. As you read children’s books over the course of a year, you categorize each one. You note similarities, differences, and books that don’t strike you as like anything else out there. And you continue to keep track year after year, building up your knowledge, tracking what you’
Lola
Not the most realistic story - or endearing one - but I was captivated by the art and the humour was different, in a good way! It's a story worth telling, and Jordan Banks worth knowing, I only wish the themes were more focused. It's about poverty, alienation, racism, misjudgment, self-expression, friendship, family, bullying… too much! But it's a solid 3 stars.
Amber K.
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must have in all upper elementary and above classrooms. This book is packed with bias and micro aggressions that are important for kids to read and understand -especially kids that live in areas with little to no racial diversity. I cannot wait to hand this off to my students and see what they think.
Scott
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"I wish I was Batman. Not just for the cool reasons. I could fit in anywhere! One minute he's at a board meeting [as Bruce Wayne]. And the next, he's in the most dangerous part of town. Completely fearless! Unlike me, Batman is always in control of EVERYTHING!" -- Jordan Banks, on page 166

Witty and plausible graphic novel starring protagonist Jordan Banks, a thirteen year-old who is just starting 7th grade as a transfer student (hence the title) at a private school nicknamed 'RADS' in New York
David Schaafsma
A middle grades graphic novel, just awarded the Newbery Medal of 2020, the first comics story to ever win that award, one school year in the life of would-be artist Jordan Banks, who lives in Washington Heights on the upper west side of Manhattan, but whose parents enroll him in a posh private school in Riverdale, in the Bronx. Culturally, financially, these are two very different places, and Jordan and some other new students of color encounter some challenges, mainly on racial lines, in their ...more
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
Jordan is the new kid in seventh grade. And he's not going to art school like he wanted—he's going to a fancy new private school where he's one of a handful of students of color. He's not sure if he's going to fit in...but he's going to try.

This was such fun to read. Jordan's world-view and how he frames things are hilarious and introspective, and his drawings are just the cutest things on the planet. I loved that he was able to expand his mind, and even though he still wanted to go to art
Jessica
Stunning! The first of (I hope!) many graphic novels to be recognized with a Newbery Award, and it's absolutely deserving of the honor! Well written, well drawn, poignant and funny, I couldn't put it down, reading into the wee hours. My 11yo has also read it and loved it, and next it will go to the 15yo!
Cassie Thomas
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is going to be THE most talked about graphic novel in the new year. This is a story that needs to be read and then talked about. Every single chapter had me shaking my head yes. Swipe right to see just two pages of serious truth that readers and teachers alike need to be reading. Out February 2019
Jenna Friebel
2020 Newbery winner, my committee year!
Erin
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-borrowed
This 2019 graphic novel certainly earned a place in my heart as I followed the main protagonist, seventh-grader Jordan Banks as he travels from Washington Heights to his new school- an upscale academy for academics. But while the school excels in offering a variety of exciting academic programs, it lacks diversity and through one year of learning both teachers and students have a lot to learn. I would certainly recommend this book to readers who enjoy Raina Telgemeier as it is both poignant ...more
Jillian Heise
A FANTASTIC middle grade graphic novel. A necessary addition for any school/classroom library. Approaches subtle & overt racism in an accessible & understandable way for the audience, while not holding back, through the lens of the new kid at school.
Sheila Beaumont
This entertaining and enlightening graphic novel tells the story of African American middle-schooler Jordan Banks, who loves to draw and wanted to go to art school, but is sent by his parents to a prestigious private school that emphasizes academics. Will he be able to fit in among the mostly white students, and keep his neighborhood friends too? The story is well told with excellent, full-color artwork and plenty of humor. This is the first graphic novel to win the Newbery Medal, and it is well ...more
Danielle
I wasn't really planning on picking this up, but I found it as an ebook and graphic novels never take too long to read. I really liked that it tackled so many aspects of racism (especially getting into specifics given that the protagonist, Jordan, is light-skinned - you can tell Craft really knows how to write about race and convey more than the minimum), mostly for black communities but there were students from other backgrounds.

I wasn't a fan of the art - it really reminded me of 00s webcomics
DaNae
These kids! I love when I walk away from book and feel I know the people that have filled its pages - not because the author told me, but showed me. Craft is often subtle in his character building and this book is all the stronger for it. One of few books that showcases race and micro-aggressions without the heavy drumbeat of righteousness.
Rod Brown
This is definitely targeted at younger readers, but I still bet I learned more from this story of minority kids at a predominately white NYC private school about implicit bias, microaggressions, and racism than I will from the official training I have to take at my job next week. It's a bit slow as the story is paced to last the entire school year, and I'm not sure the chapter titles punning on movie titles really added much, but the scathing points hidden in the gentle humor make it all ...more
Destiny Henderson
Cute. A relatable story about how it feels to be the only black kid somewhere and the ounce of joy you get when you see someone else who looks like you and microaggressions.

Also, amen to the segment about how MG/YA books are marketed to black kids. You have got drugs, poverty, rap, and basketball for black books vs. lily-white adventurer books. Thank God, it's slowly changing.

mindful.librarian ☀️
Know what I love even more about this book than the fact it won the Newbery? The fact that my middle school son (who magically decided that since his mom is a librarian, books are DUMB) asked me to buy it for him right when it came out last winter and read it right away and begrudgingly admitted it was “fine okay whatever I guess”. YOU GUYS! The Newbery committee picked a book that THIS KID LIKED That says SO MUCH!

Oh and I just read it in an hour and thought it was simply amazing
Kelly
An outstanding middle grade graphic novel about not only being the new kid in a new school, but about the ways privilege, bias, and racism -- both overt and subtle -- play out. Jordan attends a wealthy school on financial aid and is one of the few kids of color there; he experiences incredible micro and macro aggressions, and as a light skinned black boy, he sees racism play out in a variety of horrifying ways.

The art in this is fantastic, and Craft imbues so much pop culture in this book in
Ms. Yingling
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ARC provided by Young Adult Books Central

Jordan is not thrilled to be going to a private school several neighborhoods away from his home in Washington Heights, New York City, since it means leaving his best friend and having to deal with a whole new social class of peers. Also, if he has to go to a new school, he wishes it were an art school instead, since drawing comics is one of his favorite things to do. He is picked up the first day by his student guide, Liam, who is fairly uncommunicative,
Jordan Henrichs
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a lot to like about NEW KID...

First off, there's more substance than your typical middle grade graphic novel. Reminds me of Victoria Jamieson's work. Jordan was a really strong character. He's thoughtful and creative and I appreciated how positive he remained despite questioning some of his feelings and friendships. And his questions felt so realistic. He was definitely a character that many kids will probably relate to.

I will say, this is an interesting take on race, in that often
Lynn Plourde
NEW KID is fun and funny at the same time it portrays serious "fitting in at school" issues. Mega kid-appeal!
Sam
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When you finish a book in one sitting, you know it's good.
Nadine Keels
Jordan, a twelve-year-old artist, would love to go to art school, but instead his parents enroll him in a private school with top-notch academics. Jordan finds that he's one of only a few kids of color in the seventh grade at his new school in New Kid by author Jerry Craft.

Yes. I picked this graphic novel up because of the race/diversity issue it addresses. Yes, it resonated with me in a number of places on that score, such as in a section of Jordan's sketchbook labeled "Judging Kids by the
Lata
4.5 stars. I enjoyed this story of Jordan starting at a new school, where many of the kids come from affluent backgrounds. There are very few other brown kids, and Jordan eventually becomes good friends with a couple of the boys, including one from a very different background than his.
Jordan experiences racist and classist behaviour from some of his classmates, and from one of his teachers, who comes off as irritatingly thoughtless and racist, all the while blaming Jordan and his friend Drew for
Janssen
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a graphic novel in ages but I LOVED this one. So endearing and smart.
Abby Johnson
This book had so many moments that tell it like it is. It's probably the best middle grade book at dealing with microaggressions that I've seen. It does not stray away from how uncomfortable it makes Jordan, even when his white classmates and teachers don't realize what they're doing.

This is a book that kids of color will identify with and that white kids need to read and talk about. And it's written in a fun way. Full-color panels illustrate Jordan's day to day life in school split up by black
Nilah
There's so much like to like about NEW KID. The terrific art, supplemented by main character Jordan's own comic journal-style observations. The journey through navigating a new school, new friendships, and new conflicts. The theme of not judging a book by its cover woven throughout. And I found the perspective of a Black kid in an environment that's not used to Blackness, where teachers constantly confuse you with That Other Black Kid They Remember and push critically-acclaimed stories of Black ...more
Nadine
This book is so darn clever. A young person of colour has a scholarship for a fancy school and his day to day experiences with micro-aggressions are faithfully documented. It's smart and funny and totally hits the target. We need more books like this - like one for girls as well. I have just the incident for the girls one - a teacher in assembly last week saying "well done boys" to the robotics team - that included a girl.
Donna Gephart
This book will mean the world to so many kids, who will see themselves on the page, who will feel less alone, who will feel validated. It's an honest look at what it feels like to be "other" in a space that is mostly white, mostly wealthy. It's got so much heart and moments of great humor. This one will be read and re-read and re-read again.
Casey Jo
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! So good!!! Funny as heck, without shying away from the awkwardness of being one of a few Black kids at a private academy. The friendships are heartwarming, and the privilege is acrid. And the artwork by the MC is delightful.

Note: This is a review of an Advance Reader Copy. The comment below references a fat joke that was taken out of the final version. Yay for thoughtful editing!!!
Mock Newbery 2021: * 2020 John Newbery Medal Awards 26 156 Feb 06, 2020 05:58AM

• Chiggers
  • White Bird
  • All's Faire in Middle School
  • The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • The Bridge Home
  • Genesis Begins Again
  • The Cardboard Kingdom
  • Ways of Seeing
  • The Artist's Way Every Day: A Year of Creative Living
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
  • The Line Tender
Jerry Craft has illustrated and/or written nearly three dozen children’s books, graphic novels and middle grade novels for publishers such as HarperCollins, Scholastic, Benchmark, Pearson and his own publishing company, Mama's Boyz, Inc. His middle grade graphic novel, New Kid, will be released by HarperCollins on February 5, 2019. Jerry has earned recognition from the Junior Library Guild, and ...more

New Kid (2 books)
  • Class Act
“You don't have to like everyone, but you don't have to be a jerk about it, either.” 1 likes
“Never comfort someone with a lie.” 1 likes