Start by marking “The French Adventure” as Want to Read:
The French Adventure

The French Adventure

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  46 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Packed full of French flavour and idyllic settings this is a romantic, heart-warming and unputdownable new novel about life and love, perfect for anyone who loves Milly Johnson, Lucy Diamond and Debbie Johnson.

Published February 1st 2018 by Aria

To ask other readers questions about The French Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The French Adventure

Dash fan
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5☆ A Beautifully Charming Read. Which Transported me to France.

The French Adventure is about New beginnings, finding oneself, friendships, relationships, love, mystery, secrets, and the gorgeous sights and sensations of a French Adventure.

Anna is not quiet sure but she just finds it hard to say ' I Love You' back to her boyfriend and boss Karl.
You see Karl is desperate for a promotion and something just doesn't feel right to Anna.
So when she's pulled in and offered a huge promotion alongside Kar
J.B (Debbie)
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Let me just start this review off with a massive WOW! Just so you get a bit of a flavour of how much I enjoyed this book.

Anna is one of those people who just doesn't believe anyone could possibly love her. Her boyfriend Karl is forever telling her, trying to reassure her but for Anna it just doesn't seem real. Her relationship with Karl is a secret, both fearful of upsetting their careers if their bosses ever found out. However, Anna quits her job, dumps Karl and takes off on an adventure to Fr
Kate’s Book Spot
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In no time at all I found myself absorbed in Anna’s life, there was a connection there that I couldn’t explain - I liked her and I could imagine myself being her friend but above all I felt extremely protective!

I was so excited for Anna when she began her adventure and the author’s descriptions of France were everything I had hoped for, it was almost as though I was soaking up the sights, scents and sounds alongside her.

There were so many parts of the storyline that I loved, in particular a mys
Grace J Reviewerlady
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Spending the summer months in France when it's the middle of January in chilly Scotland is a lovely place to be - even if it's only in a book!

This is a terrific read - great characterisation, wonderful setting and a very entertaining story line. In a village setting, we get to know the locals and the way of life whilst all the time dealing with a mystery and the personal lives of the main characters. There isn't a moment to yawn in this one, it's all go from the beginning to the very last page.

Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anna has been in a relationship with Karl for a while now, but because of the fact that they work together they have to keep their private life a secret. Karl has no problem saying 'I love you' to Anna, but on the day he needs to stand up for them as a couple he lets her down. Anna walks out on her job and Karl with her head held high. She needs to take a little time off to get herself organized again, so Anna rents out her newly bought house and joins her parents, who are living in France. For ...more
Katherine Hayward
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, life doesn't work out as planned. Anna realises this when suddenly she finds herself single and unemployed. She's not one to feel bad and sorry for herself for long and soon devises a way to move on in her life. Her parents moved out to France sometime before her problems start, and she decides to join them. She promised herself it'll only be for 6 months and that by the end of that time, she'll be able to return to the UK and pick up where she left off in life.

I loved Anna's charact
Jill Steeples
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The French Adventure is an immediately engaging read that will have you wishing you could escape to France along with the main character Anna.

Anna has been badly let down by her boyfriend Karl who also happens to be her boss and decides to get away from the situation by heading to France to help out her parents with their bed and breakfast business.

The setting of the french countryside is just wonderful and you can almost imagine yourself there. Anna soon settles into the neighbourhood meeting s
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: france, romance
Sam and Anna are two troubled souls working through their heartache on the same renovation project, but so lost in their inner turmoils that at times they are so very far apart. I found them both to be engaging, with a vulnerable side too, and the setting; a restored manoir in the Loire valley sounded gorgeous, but the reality of the hard work required to run a B&B in rural France wasn’t ignored either.

I bonded with Anna, admired her organisation and determination to create a new future for
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Anna is in a relationship with her boss, Karl. It is against the company rules. So, when they are called into the office for a discussion about a new opportunity, Karl lies. That makes Anna angry enough to stand up, quit her job and leave the company.

She also realizes that Karl is not the man she hoped he was. To me, Karl appeared to be a snake.

Anna leases her home and goes to stay with her parents at their B & B in France. She is not certain what her future holds, but she knows being with
Suze Lavender
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Karl regularly tells Anna he loves her, but Anna doesn't really feel it. He's all for keeping their relationship a secret from their bosses for the sake of their careers. When Anna's had enough she loses her boyfriend and her job in one single moment. Anna needs time to heal and that is why she rents out her house and temporarily moves to France, where her parents have just started a B&B. There's enough work to keep her occupied and Anna's task is to assist their builder, Sam, to have the ho ...more
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley, 2018
After Anna has a disastrous break up leading to losing her job aswell- she escapes to her parents guesthouse in France where they are getting 2 gites ready for the public. She works alongside builder Sam, learning new skills and trying to get to know the quiet builder and what is troubling him.
They both have some healing to do and help each other along.
There are some lovely scenes in the book- I loved the part where Sam takes Anna to see the home he is working on (albeit very slowly) and their t
Jane Hunt
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing

The setting for this story makes it special from the beginning. Anna is at a crossroads in her life, she has a plan and thought it was working out but soon discovers it isn't. Arriving at her parents' French B&B gives her chance to heal from her toxic relationship and plan her next move. Anna's journey is more than a hop over the channel, it brings her into contact with Sam, her polar opposite, he doesn't plan and doesn't see the need to finish everything he starts, yet they manage to work t
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Anna is sweet & trusting. Karl is a weasel. Sam is charming.
When life takes a sudden turn, Anna heads to France to stay with her parents. Some home remodeling, a mystery, and family & friends along the way, where will Anna end up?

Thank you Aria Publishing for the ARC.
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
All reviews can be found on my blog at

Right, I pride myself on being honest, so I need to lay my cards out on the table right here, right now. Personally, the beginning of this book grated on me, coming across as a bit too 'Dear Diary' for my liking. Now I'm not too sure whether that was the storyline, or whether it was the way the main character, Anna, came across, but it did make it a lot harder for me to completely gel with the storyline.

HOWEVER, at arou
Jan 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
The story wasn't bad but the dialogue was just horrendous. Very wooden and fake. I was going to give this 2-3 stars and then I got to the last quarter or so of the book.

Suddenly Anna wants Sam but only as a temporary thing while they are in vacation. Then she gets mad that he doesn't acknowledge she's the one he needs in his life, she's the one. Outside of vacation. Then Anna tells Sam she wants to end the vacation early because the memory of his ex prevents him from being free. Finally Anna ha
Donna Maguire

I do love a good book that helps me to get away from the day to day and this one was just the right choice for me, the blurb drew me in and I loved the cover!!

The characters were really personable and the plot line was great. It was a really easy read and an excellent way for me to pass a few hours.

Four stars from me – a refreshing and fully enjoyable read!
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
When Anna witnesses her boyfriend of over a year Karl deny all existence of their relationship to get himself a promotion, Anna does the only self-respecting thing she can do and walks out of her job and out of a life with Karl. After renting out her house Anna sets off to spend six months in France to help her parents renovate their farmhouse B&B in the countryside, but also to figure out what to do with the rest of her life.
Anna is soon enchanted by life in France, the slower pace and beau
Grass monster
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it

The Blurb :
Suddenly unemployed and single, Anna escapes to her parents' beautiful house in France for a much needed recharge – and to work out what she wants to do next with her life now her carefully mapped out plan has gone out the window.
Anna gives herself 6 months to recuperate, all the while helping renovate her parents' adjoining gites into picturesque B&Bs. But working alongside the ruggedly handsome Sam on the renovation project, she didn't expect for life to take an unexpected, if n
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I always enjoy a book with a strong sense of location, and this book ticked all of my boxes with most of the story set around a restored manoir in the Loire valley and an ongoing project to renovate two adjacent gites, all described in beautiful detail. Anna and Sam work side by side to make them habitable, often in companionable silence as they both struggle with their personal sadnesses. The story is narrated by Anna, and I will admit that it did take a little while for her to win me over. Unt ...more
Faith Hogan
Jan 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The French Adventure by Lucy Coleman provided a warm and lovely escape in dreariest January - while I would recommend this as your beach read, I loved reading it while the winds howled around outside. The characters are well drawn, subtle and interesting, the plot just carries you along and I can promise, you'll be heading to google to find out if there are direct flights that will take you near Angers, Nantes, Rennes and Chateaubriant! The location is beautifully drawn and Ms Coleman lures you ...more
Laura Reading
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is never easy when life doesn't go according to plan and seems worse when you have to fall back on family and move home. Anna hates to impose on her parents new adventure but thinks she has no other choice. She needs to get away. She needs a fresh perspective.
Love finds us in so many ways and comes in so many forms. It is not for any one of us to judge how another behaves or how they feel. It takes patience to trust and heal and to listen until someone else is ready to share their story.
Kathleen Gray
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
A light fun read that will warm you on a winter day. Karl is the cautionary tale about work relationships (seriously, people). Anna throws it all over and moves to France to live with her parents, who are in the midst of a renovation. (I wish my parents had a house in France!). I liked that Anna found herself interested in the work and engaged in planning for a new start. You know the minute you read about Sam that there's going to be a good back and forth. How will the romance go? Sam's got sec ...more
Jennifer Wells
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The ‘French Adventure’ begins with a crisis in Anna’s life in England. She decides to live in France for six months to escape from her problems. In France she meets Sam who has been deeply affected by an event seven years earlier. ‘The French Adventure’ not only describes the developing relationship between Sam and Anna but also the live of some of the English people who have chosen to make France their home. There are many interesting characters in the book but there is also an intriguing sub p ...more
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It immediately draws you into Anna's world where you are transported into her heart and head for a dizzying experience as she tries to make sense of her life. Lucy Coleman is an expert at transporting the reader immediately into the story as if they are part of it. I read at night before I go to sleep. I found it extremely hard to put it down and spend a few days very sleepy, but it was soooo worth it!!!
Five Stars and Two Thumbs Up!
Great job Lucy. I'm look
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Delightful read! British woman has break-up and job loss heads to France where her parents are setting up a B & B.

It's fun to hear about the renovations and how she learns remodeling from Sam, a recluse builder.

It's pretty pleasant lifestyle with exception of her ex who is getting to become a stalker. Sam is also still dealing with guilt over his last girlfriend's death years ago...she overdosed.

Pleasant countryside and nice people.
Nikki Bywater
Feb 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lost in a relationship with something that she feels is missing and not quite right, our leading lady Anna waves an impulsive au revior and escapes to a beautiful little village in France, to find herself by reviewing and rethinking her life and relationship.

A nice easy read that I read in one sitting on a cold snowy day snuggled indoors. I found myself transported to France and utterly lost in Anna's life. I like that there is a sub-plot of a mystery thrown into the storyline that adds a littl
C A Hobbs
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best I've read for a while

This book captured me from page one. Anna and Sam are truly realistic
people trying to find themselves after suffering setbacks in their lives. the ending, though predictable, is done well, and you can only be happy for everyone you encounter in the book. Great read, can't wait for next book by this author.
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Anna has a pretty turbulent time at the start of this book and I could definitely understand her need to escape. Especially to such a wonderful location in France, Anna ends up staying with her parents and helping them with their renovations. This story moves at a lovely pace making sure you get to know the characters and also the lovely friendship she makes with Sam. Can there be anything more though?

There is a little bit of a mystery running through that just adds a little extra something to t
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the first time I have read anything by this author and I will definitely be reading others by her. The story is about a woman who finally figures out she is a worthy, intelligent woman without being part of a couple or needing to have a man in her life. There were some parts I did not care for when she tends to blame all the problems she has on the man or men that did her wrong and to me it got a bit tiresome with the blame game and the fact that she tended to be a snob when she judged o ...more
Helen Edwards
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Overall, I did like this story, but I think it only hit its stride when Anna went to France. The descriptions of the scenery were very well-written. I think the dialogue needs looking at. At times I couldn't tell who was speaking, as they all seemed to have the same tone and so on. And parts of it, especially Anna's, were too long, too formal and towards the end, contradictory.

I loved Sam, but as far as Karl was concerned I think Anna could have saved a lot of trouble by taking the time to talk