Start by marking “The Gathering Dark (Magic: The Gathering: Ice Age Cycle, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Gathering Dark (Magic: The Gathering: Ice Age Cycle, #1)

The Gathering Dark (Magic: The Gathering: Ice Age Cycle #1)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  539 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
After the war comes the darkness.

Terisiare lies in ruins. Nations have fallen, goblins raid the land, and an oppressive faith throttles the city-states. Now deep within the walls of the Conclave of Mages, Jodah must decide if unlocking his own immense power is worth taking a step into the dark lands.

The epic of the Ice Age begins.
Published December 3rd 2005 by Wizards of the Coast (first published June 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Gathering Dark, please sign up.
DNF with Jack Mack I read this years ago, it's good, but vanilla enough not to upset most parents. I was playing D&D at that age; it would have been slightly…moreI read this years ago, it's good, but vanilla enough not to upset most parents. I was playing D&D at that age; it would have been slightly challenging for my reading level, but not for my maturity level.(less)

DNF with Jack Mack
Aug 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Magic Enthusiasts.
#MTG as Storytelling #RPG and Lesser Bad Smells If WotC owns D&D and MTG, why not create a hybrid game?  While not a new subject, Magic as a storytelling RPG might be.
Ever watch televised poker, where little cameras show the cards and two emcees call the game?  The role playing version goes something like that.
Card players speak if necessary for play, but two role players describe the duel, each voicing each wizard and their spell effects.
I've done this as a player/caller.  It's popular in s
Frantisek Kotas
Mar 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Though I've been playing Magic for over a decade, I've never paid much attention to the storyline. Of course I knew some basic facts about The Brothers' War, the Ice Age, the Weatherlight crew story, The Invasion etc., but that was about it. This book explores the story of The Dark which was one of the weakest sets in the history of the game. If the same is true about this story compared to the rest of Mtg books, then I can't wait to read the rest. I won't go into much detail but will say that t ...more
Kevin Glusing
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jeff Grubb is by and far one of my favorite authors. After Brothers' War, I was disappointed that he didn't make it back for Planeswalker. Then, Wizards came out with this and the other two novels detailing Jodah and his adventures during the ice age and the years that followed. I remember when I sat down to read this novel, I didn't find myself getting up until I absolutely had to, and even then I was right back into it when I could.

Being familiar with much of the M:tG history, it was so very c
A.J. Culpepper
Apr 11, 2012 rated it did not like it
Possitively horrid. Long, booring, drawn out with not enough of a driving plot to keep you all that interested. The best part was the necromancers having a foodfight at dinner and that wasn't enough to salvage the book.
Albert Meadows
Jun 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Book 4 for JALL
This is my second magic the gathering book (had to skip the artifact cycle considering the time to return.)

I find this book to be a very tough pill to swallow. Long story short, it would be a four star if you read this with the second book (The Eternal Ice).
But I don't rate books with each other as a series.
TLDR: If you plan to read the entire series, this one is a passable, albeit slow introduction to Jodah's character.

Characters- To put it plainly, the only thing holding the boo
Iain
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Excellent for the pulp fantasy genre. Grubb does a great job building characters we come to care about and here he has enough flexibility to craft a story that is both rooted in his prior writing (Brothers' War) while being self contained. It left me wanting to read the next tale in the series.
Shase Lindell
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Despite the minor inconsistency of Ith's name, the novel is well-written and established well in the canon.
Michael T Bradley
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it
By far the best M:TG book I've read, which maybe is damning with faint praise, BUT I enjoyed it overall.

Grubb is usually a super enjoyable writer, so I remember being really surprised that Brothers' War was so disjointed and difficult to read. This time we have a much more straightforward story about a young magic user named Jodah, who is training with his mentor, Voska, but then they get captured by the Church of Tal, and then, and then, and then. There are like 50 plot twists and turns, and ma
Chip Hunter
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Taking place soon after the Devastation at the end of The Brothers' War and way prior to Planeswalker and the Gerrard story arc, THE GATHERING DARK follows a young hero named Jodah through a rollicking adventure through the lands of Terassiare (sp?). This book represents a nice diversion from the ever-expanding saga of Urza and Gerrard that has been going on for at least 12 other books. As the first book in a trilogy, this one introduces Jodah and follows him through his very initial phases of l ...more
Aaron
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I just finished my reread of this book. I am slowly working my way though my collection of books.

This book was a good start for people picking up reading Magic the Gathering books. It gives good background for how the magic system works that may not be explained in the other books.

Spoiler Section

This book is the start of Jodahs journey to becoming a mage. The book starts at the very beginning with Jodah being an apprentice mage. He gets summoned to the Conclave by the imprisoned Ith. Jodah fin
Jay Szpirs
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
Jeff Grubb's dragonlance novel, Lord Toade, set a high bar for this novel. Sadly, The Gathering Dark doesn't measure up.

Grubb gets some milage out of the inquisition plot line and keeps the more clichéd elements (the love interest/teacher plot, the chosen one plot, the heroic journey) pleasantly light. He juggles the three main plots well and keeps the pace too fast for questioning the why's and wherefore's.

Most impressively, Grubb describes and integrates systems and elements from the card gam
Chad Watkins
Jan 30, 2012 rated it liked it
I read this book a very long time ago. At that time I thought it was one of the best magic type books I have ever read. Looking back now it was; however, this was long before I read Harry Potter. For that reason I give it now 3 stars. Overall the book was worth reading and it will drag you into reading other Magic books.
Nicolette Rigaud
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Slightly anti-climactic, but overall I felt it was a rather good book. I think there were several elements they could've expanded on, but hopefully they will in the future. I'm excited to read the two sequels.
Michael Parker
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this in high school and was the first book that I could not put down. This book is what got me deep into Sci-Fi Fantasy, and I still seek out Jeff Grubb's new novels. I just adore this book and identify very strongly with his writing style.
Sean
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read it again when I finally found book 3.
Odowalt
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-own-a-copy
Quick and easy fantasy read. The stuff on regular school life was too typical and boring.
Semi-good introduction for some of the characters.

4,5/10
Jakob
Jul 23, 2012
Jacob Lloyd
Feb 23, 2012
  • Rath and Storm (Magic: The Gathering: Anthology, #3)
  • Apocalypse (Magic: The Gathering: Invasion Cycle, #3)
  • Nemesis (Magic: The Gathering: Masquerade Cycle, #2)
  • Planeswalker (Magic: The Gathering: Artifacts Cycle, #2)
  • Mercadian Masques (Magic: The Gathering: Masquerade Cycle, #1)
  • Bloodlines: The Story of Urza's Destiny (Magic: The Gathering: Artifacts Cycle, #4)
  • Odyssey (Magic: The Gathering: Odyssey Cycle, #1)
  • Chainer's Torment (Magic: The Gathering: Odyssey Cycle, #2)
  • Dissension (Magic: The Gathering: Ravnica Cycle, #3)
  • The Colors of Magic (Magic: The Gathering: Anthology, #4)
He is an author and game designer.