Start by marking “Guitar Genius: How Les Paul Engineered the Solid-Body Electric Guitar and Rocked the World” as Want to Read:

Published April 9th 2019 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Guitar Genius, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guitar Genius

Lindsay Leslie
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love this story about how curiosity, exploration, and gumption can lead to the best of inventions. Such great detail in this book for tinkerers and builders. Play on, Les Paul!
Lynn
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an outstanding and exuberant introduction to Les Paul, his extraordinary inventiveness, musical achievements and fascinating personality. Kim Tomsic's text is wonderfully geared to a picture book audience and achieves a terrific balance of providing information (including technical descriptions), entertaining and never talking down to the readers. The book has an admiring tone which works well and highlights some of Paul's important qualities such as curiosity and perseverance.

Brett Helq
RedPoppyReading
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Guitar Genius,” by @kimtosmic and illustrated by @bhelquist, is a fascinating book about the life and inventions of rock legend Les Paul. Embarrassingly, I did not know anything about Les Paul before reading this book but I learned so much! The story begins with young Les ignoring negative comments from a music teacher and making his own radio set, and follows his life focusing on his inventions culminating with his creation of the solid body electric guitar at age 26. This book is for inventiv ...more
Elaine Pease
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Young readers will be inspired by Les Paul's can-do attitude, after he's told by his teacher, "You'll never learn music," (he did by listening, since he couldn't read sheet music) and by others, "That's impossible." But his mother countered with her absolute love and encouraging him to tinker, try, and experiment--which led to his incredible contributions to music and even revolutionizing the rock and roll industry. Fun onomatopoeia brings musical instruments to life--the badum-tishhhh of drums- ...more
Britt
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story about the power of perseverance told through one of music's greatest (and most important) inventors. Chock-full of history, Tomsic makes accuracy her mission in a very accessible way. Beautifully illustrated and utterly genius. Perfect for older littles and oldest music-lovers alike.

P.S. I may be a little biased after meeting Kim this other night and spending some time gabbing, but I already loved the book before meeting her - she just provided some really wonderful into her l
Nanette Heffernan
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This biography of Les Paul is so special to me. Not only is it wonderfully written and full of detail, making it a great reread time and time again but it touches a special place in my heart. I am the queen of reuse. I was so inspired to learn how Les Paul reused items from coat hangers to broomsticks to transform the music industry. If the child in your life (or you for that matter) learn best by tinkering they will definitely see themselves in this story.
Will Limon
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing man, and an amazing story about him. I had no idea Les Paul had invented so much that underpins modern popular music. Kim Tomsic has told an inspiring story with details that should enthrall every reader, child or adult. I can see kids dragging out bits and pieces of things to invent new gadgets after reading it. Combined with keen illustrations, this book is a real winner on all levels: story, inspiration, and art. More children's nonfiction should be like this.
Sheri Dillard
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what an amazing story! Not only was a young Les Paul told he wasn't musical, but his music teacher even sent him home with a note telling his mom to save her money and cancelled his music lessons. Yikes! But Les Paul had a love for music and a passion to create. And his story has a happy ending-- an award-filled, musical one, too! Great read for both kids and adults.
Laura Roettiger
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful biography written with fantastic voice and so many interesting facts. This is a book that musicians will embrace and the rest of us will learn from. A wonderful combination of illustrations and photographs help tell the story.
Laura Resau
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, fun, and inspiring for kids and adults alike! My 12-year-old guitar-obsessed son was captivated by this book... as was I! And it's got a wonderful message of perseverance! HIGHLY recommended!
Tegan
This was very informative! I knew a lot about Les Paul from my husband, but learned even more in this! He is such an inspiration to kids who are told not to do something. I'm so glad he pursued his passion and changed the face of music to what we know it as today.
Sally S
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kids (and adults:) will love the lively, upbeat language in this fun, fresh, inspirational story!
Penny Berman
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What an amazing story! Everyone will appreciate this story of pluck and persistence.
Sara Grochowski
Apr 17, 2019
Penny
Jan 05, 2019
Mary Ann
Love the way this shows how creative and inventive this is!
Amy
Apr 10, 2019
Rachel Harder
Jun 05, 2018
Kim Tomsic
Jun 11, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Kim Chaffee