Start by marking “A List of Cages” as Want to Read:
A List of Cages

A List of Cages

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  15,276 ratings  ·  3,338 reviews
Adam begitu gembira bisa bertemu lagi dengan Julian saat bekerja sebagai pendamping psikolog sekolah. Meskipun duduk diam bukanlah hal yang mudah bagi ADHD-nya, tapi Adam tidak bisa mengeluh.

Awalnya, Julian adalah anak yang seperti yang Adam kenal lima tahun yang lalu. Julian masih anak yang ramah, masih suka menulis cerita, dan menyukai buku cerita bergambar untuk anak-an
Published January 2018 by Penerbit Spring (first published January 10th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about A List of Cages, please sign up.
Amanda Definitely not middle grade, as it deals with some very heavy topics in detail. I think it's more suitable for older teens.
May Lu I really liked this book and I think Girl in Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow is my favorite book at the moment. You may enjoy that.

·  15,276 ratings  ·  3,338 reviews

Jesse (JesseTheReader)
wow. this book has one big emotional punch. it's gonna take me a few days to recover. i went into this book not knowing anything about it & i instantly added it to my list of favorite books when i finished it.
Chaima ✨ شيماء
I don’t know how a book can splinter in my mind with a haze of pain around it, make tears spring unbidden to my eyes and generally feel as though I was seeing into a bottomless well of anguish, but then, right when I thought the flint shell of my heart would crack, it hits me with a keen pang of hope and sets like a little ball of tingling warmth in the pit of my stomach.

A List of Cages is a beautiful, soul-crushing love letter to friendships that heal the broken pathways of your heart and hope
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
What an incredible, heart achingly beautiful story. This book surprised me by how engrossed I was. I cared for the characters immensely. I was sent this for review/ to do a sponsored video surrounding it by Disney Hyperion (thank you to them!) so stay tuned for a review and that video coming soon!!
Lola
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If this story doesn’t make you emotional, I have to bring to the table the idea that you might actually be an android. Yes, you've been exposed.

Because how could anyone be unaffected by such injustice and cruelty toward a fourteen-year-old?

Julian’s parents died when he was a child, leaving him with a foster care family for some time, and then with his uncle Russell, who has been abusing him both mentally and physically since.

Unfortunately, like other victims of abuse, Julian doesn’t understand
C.G. Drews
This is the most precious cinnamon roll of a book I have ever read. It absolutely DAMAGED MY SOUL but it was beautiful and heartfelt and the characters just sort of sneaked off the page and became incredibly real and relatable people to me and just GAHHHHH I LOVED IT SO MUCH I CANNOT EVEN.

(Also this is my first 5 star read of the year!! I'm so excited!!)

Basically this is a story about friendship and abuse. I will warn you: it's not easy to read. It does heavily feature child abuse and stockholm
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
OMG!!!! This book was so horrible and so wonderful at the same time!

I loved all of these characters with the exception of a few choice adults.

Julian's freaking uncle, Russell!

For him I wanted to add all of the hulk smash, blowing up, gun shooting gifs I could find but I kept it nice. You will hate his guts if you read this wonderful book and find out what all he puts Julian through. I CAN'T EVEN, PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The book is told through Julian and Adam. It's not confusing just their diff
jessica
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
every once in awhile i am truly blown away by a story. i will read something that exceeds all of my expectations and more. the book will cause me feel a range of emotions that i didnt expect to experience. its a story that burrows itself deep into my heart. it doesnt happen often, but when it does, im left astounded. like i am this very moment.

this was very heavy for a YA contemporary novel, but i am so thankful for that. it shows that really tough things happen to young people. it shows that ev
Elena
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know what I think, but people don't want you to say what you think. They want you to say what they think. And knowing what that is isn't easy.

Mental health books are some of my favorites to read because they're so powerful and beautiful, capturing you in the struggled lives of the people suffering and living with this illness they have. Every book I've read that is labeled as a "contemporary mental health book" has been one I've loved, like and enjoyed. I haven't ended up disliking any exc
Sana
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sana by: may ❀
Honestly, don't touch me right now because MY EYES ARE A SWEATY MESS AND I DON'T EVEN CARE IF THAT SOUNDS EXTREMELY GROSS. I knew this book was going to be an emotional punch in the gut because everyone has been crying and raving about this. This book was heartbreaking from page one because my little Julian.

If you don't know already, I love sad, depressing, and heartbreaking books because I just love the suffering and pain sad books bring. But what I love most about "sad, depressing, and heartbr
Larry H
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I'd rate this 4.5 stars.

This book is at times harrowing and heartbreaking, at times hopeful. But what adds to this book's power is the fact that its plot isn't fantasy, and there are children dealing with these issues every day.

Life changed for Julian five years ago when his beloved parents died. He lived with a foster family until a relative took him in. He misses his parents every day, and this loss truly encompasses him, because they understood him, they supported his creativity, and made lif
Joshee Kun (조수아)
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joshee Kun by: Jill
People heal a whole lot faster when they're with someone who loves them. —Delores

description

A List of Cages was my first favorite book of 2017. I had been hearing nothing but positive things about it, particularly from people in the BookTube community. I used to think that the praise was quite exaggerated, but now I understand why this book has garnered so much hype.

Essentially, A List of Cages is similar to Jennifer L. Armentrout's The Problem with Forever, in that it also explores the mechanics of foster
Lala BooksandLala
This book just destroyed me.
Korrina  (OwlCrate)
I may have already found my top book of 2017, because I don't know how something will top this. So sad I didn't read this in time to include it in an OwlCrate box. It comes out on January 10th and I highly encourage everyone to pick it up!
Kimi

Out today!

(I received a free arc from Netgally in exchange for an honest review. This book comes out in January 2017.)

"I used to think that if I concentrated, I could make myself disappear. I don't believe that anymore, but sometimes I still have to try."

Trigger warning: (view spoiler)

Holy guacamole.

I think I've just been eaten by a giant blob of feels. This was one of easiest five stars I've given so far this year. This book is definitely the next big thing. Like
*TANYA*
An EXTREMELY emotional book. I cried like a baby, sobbed. Unfathomable what was endured. I NEED a follow up to this book, ten years from now, what happens, how are they coping as adults???
Maureen
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5 stars

Do you ever finish a book and know you're going to be thinking about it for a long while after? That's how I feel about this book.
The sentiments are so powerful, as is the story. I love that it was mostly about friendship and helping people through that. I LOVED both of these characters so much, especially Adam. He was a picture of unconditional love to Julian and I literally just teared up thinking about it.
Everyone was very right about this book - it's amazing and wonderful and real
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
2.5 Stars

“Hate ricochets, but kindness does too.”

This is a book that says some beautiful, important things, but uses an exploitive, painful abuse storyline to do so.

…okay. Bear with me. I know that’s a big statement, and I know the majority disagrees with me. But the whole time I read this… I just felt unsettled? The overwhelming focus is on the physical manifestations of abuse and very little on any healing? Sure, the narrative mentions healing, but the plot is just one horrible, horrib
megs_bookrack
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Let's get a bold statement out of the way:
A List of Cages is one of my favorite books of all time.

At the time that I read this, I hadn't read a lot of YA Contemporary. I thought I would find it boring or unrelatable.

WRONG.

While I do understand that this is not a perfect book, for me, it opened my eyes to the world of hard-hitting YA Contemporary writing, and for that, I am grateful as it is now one of my favorite genres.

I knew that I would struggle trying to write an adequate review of this b
may ❀
Warning: Only read this book if you’re prepared for intense feelings of pain, anguish, and some awesomesauce friendship/brotherhood.

From the reviews I’ve read from my friends, I knew this book would be heartbreaking, but I didn’t expect it to be the rip-your-heart-out-of-your-chest-and-stomp-on-it-until-it-desingrates type of heartbreak.

. . . turns out it was.

description

The chapters switch alternatively between Julian ((my baby))’s perspective and Adam ((my baby)’s perspective. Julian needs to be prote
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
First and foremost, I loved the message of this book. It’s not often that you find a YA book that primarily highlights the meaning of friendship and kindness. It was refreshing to read a book that didn’t focus on romance. I absolutely loved Julian. He was an adorable cinnamon roll. The second half of this book is absolutely heartbreaking and I just wanted to give Julian a big hug.

Julian:
description

My main critique with this book is the writing style. While there were some very meaningful and quotable exc
Heike
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who has a heart
A wonderful story, heartbreaking that teaches you the power of kindness and friendship just heartwarming... BEAUTIFUL.
Its better get into the story with knowing nothing about it but...
Well, the two main characters are Julian a 14 year old kid that have Dyslexia and Adam a 18 year old senior who has ADHD.
Julian is shy, always frightened, kind of broken, he's afraid of everything( of talking, moving, Spider-Man movies EVERYTHING) he's in freshmen year of high school but every classmate makes fun o
Aj the Ravenous Reader

An unexpected heartbreaking and yet inspiring read. A List of Cages is a story of an unusual friendship between an ADHD diagnosed senior superstar ( Adam) and a dyslexic freshman “nobody” (Julian). The story is told in their alternating perspectives and both their voices seem very genuine.

While Julian is timid and easily intimidated being a victim of domestic abuse, Adam is everybody’s darling. While nobody seems to like or care about Julian, everybody loves Adam which he doesn’t seem to notice
(I received an advance copy of this book for free. Thanks to Disney Book Group and NetGalley.)

This was a YA contemporary story, about a boy with ADHD and his younger friend.

Adam cared for Julian in this story, and he certainly went above and beyond to try to keep him safe and to work out what was going on with him.

The storyline in this was about Julian being abused, and Adam trying to help him. The pace in this was pretty slow though, and I struggled to keep reading because I was so bored. Thing
Irena
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A List of Cages is not a book that grabs your attention immediately.
At least, it was not in my case.
I saw it’s cover on Netgalley, but didn’t pay much attention to it until I got an invitation to review it.
That invitation made me read what this story is actually about, and, since it sounded interesting and like something that could possibly make me learn something new, I decided to give it a try.
I am so glad I did! This book ended up as one of the best books I read in 2016, because of the powerf
ambsreads
"People heal a whole lot faster when they're with someone who loves them."

A List of Cages will be the most emotional book I read this year, I feel. It was painful. It was so damn good that I couldn't put it down. If you know me, you know I go to bed before 10pm every night without fail, I'll usually stop talking to you at 8:30pm as well. However, I was up until midnight finishing this book and crying into my pillow.

I've thought about this book for a week and I still can't possibly formulate a
grace
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EMOTIONS HOLY HECK. Video review to come!
Brianna
My heart is broken but this was so GOOD
emi
What a powerful read. I'd highly recommend. RTC.
Aya Hamza
“Hate ricochets, but kindness does too.”

Trigger Warning: (view spoiler)

"A list of Cages" is about these two boys, Adam who is a senior high school student with ADHD who meets Julian who was his foster brother years ago. But Adam notices that Julian still has problems and hides lots of secrets. So, Adam is determined to help him, but his involvement could cost both boys their lives..
It reminded me of "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" which I
Emma
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beginning of this book I loved really and truly. The entire ending I had huge, giant problems with. The biggest one being that for the level of abuse and trauma that occurred- and it was major, probably the worst I've ever read- there's no way to write light into this story. For me (emphasis on personal opinion), it ended without an ending. The recovery from everything Julian went through would be in a way harder than the events, and we didn't get to see his recovery... hardly at all. There ...more
#$%*SPOILERSSSSSSS!!!!!!How would the book end if **** dies? 4 107 Jun 07, 2018 09:04PM
Amor y letras : A list of cages 3 22 May 29, 2017 03:46PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: A List of Cages by Robin Roe - Restarting May 17th 2017 21 99 May 09, 2017 02:17AM
Addicted to YA: A List of Cages 6 119 Feb 18, 2017 08:44AM

• Neanderthal Opens the Door to the Universe
  • Because of You
  • The Road Home (Echo Company, #5)
  • Bang
  • Grendel's Guide to Love and War
  • The Pain Eater
  • Character, Driven
  • All We Have Left
Robin Roe is the author of A LIST OF CAGES, which was named one of the Best YA Books of the Year by Buzzfeed, EpicReads, BookPage, Powell’s Books, & Goodreads.

*Praise for A LIST OF CAGES*

“I love this book with my whole heart.”—Jennifer Niven, NY Times bestselling author of All the Bright Places

“A remarkably gripping and moving tale of a life saved—in more than one way—by the power of friendsh
“Hate ricochets, but kindness does too.” 181 likes
“It's strange how many ways there are to miss someone. You miss the things they did and who they were, but you also miss who you were to them. The way everything you said and did was beautiful or entertaining or important. How much you mattered” 121 likes