Start by marking “Damsel” as Want to Read:
Damsel

Damsel

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  6,071 ratings  ·  1,838 reviews
The rite has existed for as long as anyone can remember: when the prince-who-will-be-king comes of age, he must venture out into the gray lands, slay a fierce dragon, and rescue a damsel to be his bride. This is the way things have always been.

When Ama wakes in the arms of Prince Emory, however, she knows none of this. She has no memory of what came before she was captured
Published October 2nd 2018 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Damsel, please sign up.
KristynRene The Hype Queen of Books Ignore the other answer. This book is a masterpiece of poetry. It is entirely metaphorical and filled to the brim with symbolism. This book will help …moreIgnore the other answer. This book is a masterpiece of poetry. It is entirely metaphorical and filled to the brim with symbolism. This book will help you grow. Or it will destroy you. Either way, the ending is the best part. (less)
Tatiana This is not a romance at all. I would say this book is the opposite of a romance.

·  6,071 ratings  ·  1,838 reviews

Start your review of Damsel
Emily May
Secrets, like memories, do not disappear just because they are buried by snow or time or distance.

What an ugly, awful little book. I thought it was pretty awesome, too, but then I’m a fan of Arnold’s dark twisted feminist stories that most other people seem to hate.

It looks like Arnold is continuing her trend of writing horrible, depressing books that leave me in a constant state of anxiety while reading. What Girls Are Made Of ripped my heart to shreds last year, and this dark fairy tale ju
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
I honestly can't give this one a rating, and that is largely due to the number of triggers - including graphic sexual assault, rape, self-harm, mental and physical abuse, suicide, and animal harm. Please please please be aware of that while making a decision on whether or not this book is for you. I sincerely hope the publisher adds warnings to the book itself and to the description on Goodreads. (More below...)

First off, the writing is gorgeous. Elana is extremely talented. This is a feministic
Tatiana
Apr 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Margo Lanagan, Catherynne M. Valente
Printz Honor 2019

Called it! Called it!

Original review

Oh boy, this novel is going to get so many 1-star reviews! This is what happens when a book like this is marketed as YA. Are there going to be any teens that would read and like it? I doubt it. This is a novel created for lovers of literary fantasy and ugly ancient fairy tales. It is written in a simple language, it does not have a lot of characters or drama. It is quiet and dreamlike. It might get a Printz nod (I hope) from librarian
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
When I first heard about this, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I saw it hailed as a dark fairytale retelling, but I’ve been promised that many times by other stories that delivered on the “retelling” while leaving aside any hints of the “dark” aspect. Damsel, on the other hand, is exactly what it promises—an incredibly dark fantasy story that pulls no punches.

“That is the way of being a woman, to carve away at herself, to fit herself to the task, but, also, to be able to carve herself in
Melanie
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

“For Emory to take his father’s place as king, he must do as his father had done, and his father before him. He must conquer a dragon and rescue a damsel, and take that maiden as his bride.”

I get what this book was trying to do, I really do, and I appreciate it, but I just don’t personally think it was well done. This is a play on the “damsel in the tower, guarded by a dragon, and a brave knight comes to sav
Mara YA Mood Reader
**Skip this. Read Amy Harmon’s The Bird and the Sword instead

2018
I don’t know how the heck I even got here. And I don’t know how the heck some books make it through publishing. Books like this. And why books like this are being marketed as YA when they are clearly not.

I think the main idea here was interesting. And I guessed it right away. The origin of the damsel. And if this were a true YA book it could have been something great.

But it was just so flat.

I was bored from page one.

The openin
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
2.5 stars. Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Damsel has an absolutely gorgeous cover, one of the loveliest I’ve seen, with a glowing title wound about with vines, bleeding hearts and other flowers.

description

But on closer examination there’s something just a little bit off about the cover image. An anatomically correct heart. A golden spur with a myriad of sharp points. A dragon’s pointed tail. It’s a bit disturbing. And it’s an apt metaphor for the contents of Elana K. Arnold’s book, where the fa
Candace Robinson
I'm all about equality for everyone, but I felt like this book definitely put men to shame, and that's a real effing shame.

Also, Emory was a weird guy, like sometimes he felt cocky but okay, but then he would have these strange times where he'd do weird things like drag Ama around by a leash. Another thing was, I hated Ama too, so it was hard for me to feel sorry for her, or anyone really. I think I felt sorry for Tillie the most—she needed to get the hell out of that castle! Pawlin was also sup
Mackenzi
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Okay. So. Holy shit. Yes. This book. Yes.
Hannah Greendale
Topical and beautifully written. Predictable and painfully on the nose. Wildly bizarre in the last three pages.
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ✺❂❤❣
***BEWARE OF SPOILERS!*** Rating: we start at 5 stars:
- Bestiality: -1 star
- 'Yard'? Can't body parts be named properly if we already are considering bestiality? There is a whole chapter in there aptly named 'The King's Yard', in which they valiantly try to discuss the aforementioned 'yard'. And I'm not kidding. -1 star
+ Some ideas that I loved (see above): +1 star
- Some ideas I hated (see above): -1 star
+- Feminism: eh... while it's totally cool, we should consider that (view spoiler)
Jackie
Apr 24, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, fantasy, 2018-reads
This book is fucking terrible.

“Damsel” tells the story of a prince off to slay a dragon and rescue a girl who he will take home to be his queen. When she awakes she has no memory of her rescue, her family or her very name and is left at the mercy of the prince who takes her back to his kingdom and mother, but things are not as they seem and she soon finds herself struggling to come to terms with her present while hunting for the answers in her past.

Where to begin because holy shit. How about w
Brittany
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook, 2019-read
When Ama awakes with no memory to her prince telling her he saved her from an evil dragon, she’s forced to believe it. But not everything is as it seems.

This book was- disturbing and gripping at the same time. The feminist and dark themes tackled were hard at times but incredibly vital. Overall, it was pretty good! Not amazing, but I definitely loved the ending
Cesar
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars.

I would need a thesaurus to describe just how much I loved Damsel. What started as trepidation based on the rating turned into excitement and love the more I got into the story. And by the time I finished it, I absolutely loved Damsel.

Before I get into my review, Damsel is not for the faint of heart as the story does deal with a lot of subject matter including but not limited to: sexual assault, animal abuse, rape, self-harm, and more. The content of the story can be dark and hard to get
Vicky Again
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 stars

TW: rape, self-harm, abuse, animal abuse, graphic violence, bestiality

This is not a book for everyone, but it was the book for me.

I can feel all the people cringing away from this book, and know that you don't have to read it, and no one will fault you for not reading it. I can feel all the DNFs coming this way, as it's a very graphic book marketed towards the YA audience, and DNFing is a completely valid thing to do.

As you can see by the long list of trigger warnings, this can be very da
Charlotte
Jeff Zentner
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elana Arnold is a master of writing the struggles of young women and the violence they endure. DAMSEL is a story that feels both modern and ancient, a harrowing and compelling gothic fairytale of a young woman passing through fire to reclaim herself. It reads like a pre-Grimm-Brothers fairytale, before they were sanitized bedtime stories, when they went to the darkest reaches of the human heart to bear witness of who we really are.

You will not be able to put this book down. You will not be able
alana ♡
tw: rape, physical/sexual/emotional assault, mentions of suicide & self harm

There were things I really loved about this and then there were other things that legitimately turned  my stomach. Because of that I've been struggling on what to rate this book. I simply can't justify the things I loved without shedding light on the topics I had trouble with because HOLY TRIGGERS, there's a lot. But at the same time I can't write a review on the things I had trouble with without recognizing the things I
Sabrina
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
↠ 3.5 stars

I received a copy in exchange for a honest review.

This is going to be such a divisive book; looking down the ratings my friends have given it on Goodreads, there is such a variation between 4 stars and 2 stars. It is a dark, provocative and slightly terrible novel, but it doesn’t promise to be anything different. It is a book about the treatment of women in a world dominated by men, and it is depressing.

Before I go on, I want to state something: I don't believe this book can be easil
Amy Risner
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Okay, this is going to be one of those books with very polarizing reviews. You’re either going to love it, hate it, or be in the middle (like me) where you like the writing and message, but you’re also shaking your head going, WTF?

Firstly, here are the trigger warnings: Sexual assault/rape, mental and physical abuse, harm to animals, suicide and self harm (it’s discussed), imprisonment.

Even though this is a dark fairy t
Billie
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is not the Prince-rescues-Princess-from-Dragon book you expect, but it may very well be the book that you—or someone you know—needs.

Embrace your Sorrow.

Free your Fury.

Be the Dragon.
Eli
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even almost two months later I don't really know how to describe this book...
But I really admire Elana K. Arnold and I really think that books like hers are very important and can even change your perspectives somehow. I really wish I had read her books back when I was a teenager.
Sunny ✨wordslikefury✨
This is the most weirdly horrific book I've ever read in my entire life.

"One should not make a pet out of a wild beast."

Told through the classic "prince saves the damsel in distress from the big bad dragon" tale, Elana K. Arnold explores the most severe forms of sexism through the unique creation of her fantasy world. Prince Emory must find a dragon, save the damsel, and then marry her in order to become a true King. This is how it has always been, and this is how it will always be. So when
Allison C
Oct 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very dark book, and went the opposite way that I expected altogether. The “twist” wasn’t even a twist, and the entire book is stuffed with so much disgusting content that it became repulsive. It is also very dark, and the supposed good ending is dark in its own way. The messages that are portrayed in this book are horrible, as the King’s mother simply tells the damsel that even if you’re suffering, it’s simply the way it’s always been. I won’t even bother talking about the king, as he ...more
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads

First off, I don't even know where to even start when it comes to the trigger warnings for this novel. This was a very, very dark and graphic novel. Intentionally so, but the content had my stomach roiling at moments. Some of the trigger warnings involved in this novel would be for topics involving: abuse (physical, emotional, and sexual), animal abuse, consent, rape, suicide, depression, and self-harm. Guys, when I say this is a dark and heavily graphic story, know that I'm not exagger
Hollis
Guuuuys I think my reading mojo is baaack. Because while I could hardly tear myself away from my last read, I was pretty much incapable of putting this down. DAMSEL consumed me.

All kings, for as far back as our memory goes, are made the same way. The prince must venture alone away from Harding. He must find the dragon. He must conquer the dragon, and free the damsel from captivity. When he returns home with his prize, he has proven himself worthy of the crown and is made king.

This is a weird d
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell
This is on sale today for $1.99!
JenacideByBibliophile
DNF'd at about 100 pages in.

My friend and I (@tabassum) were buddy reading this together (our other friend @Tove opted out, smart girl) and she finished it in one sitting JUST to get it over with. When she finally got to the end, after skimming countless paragraphs and pages, and sending angered/cursed filled messages, she told me to put it down and to NEVER pick it up again.

And honestly, I was itching to since the first 3 pages.

This author puts WAY too much description into each paragraph, ov
Angela

Wow, what a powerhouse of an appalling, despairing, and poignant little novel.

This is not light fantasy fare, as the cover or YA categorization might make some believe, but rather a visceral and disturbing examination of the power structures that oppress women, both as they exist today and in the stories we tell (and have told) each other. I loved this book, though I did spend much of the book in a perpetual state of fear and dread, cringing about what would happen next. I cried once;
YA Buddy Readers'...: Damsel by Elana K. Arnold - Restarting July 17th 2019 14 26 Jul 19, 2019 06:16AM

• I, Claudia
  • Stepsister
  • Girls of Paper and Fire (Girls of Paper and Fire #1)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • The Guinevere Deception (Camelot Rising, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Sawkill Girls
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • The Beautiful (The Beautiful, #1)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)

ELANA K. ARNOLD writes books for and about children and teens. She holds a master’s degree in Creative Writing/Fiction from the University of California, Davis where she has taught Creative Writing and Adolescent Literature. Her most recent YA novel, DAMSEL, is a Printz Honor book, Her 2017 novel, WHAT GIRLS ARE MADE OF, was a finalist for the National Book Award, and her middle grade novel, A BOY