Start by marking “I Love You, Beth Cooper” as Want to Read:
I Love You, Beth Cooper

I Love You, Beth Cooper

3.29  ·  Rating details ·  7,177 ratings  ·  1,215 reviews
Denis Cooverman didn't want to give a typical graduation speech, cherishing memories and embracing challenges and crap. So, instead, he stood up in front of his 512 class-mates and their 3,000 relatives and said some-thing really important:

"I love you, Beth Cooper."

It would have been such a sweet, romantic moment. Except that:

Beth, the head cheerleader, has only the
Published May 8th 2007 by Ecco (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about I Love You, Beth Cooper, please sign up.
Larry I don't think there will be a second book. I will be lucky to write all my first books.

·  7,177 ratings  ·  1,215 reviews

Start your review of I Love You, Beth Cooper
Greg
Nov 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ha-ha-s, fiction
The reason I don't read 'thrillers' or 'action' books is that I don't see them as being much different from their movie form. I don't feel like I get anything more out of the book than a movie version, and I'd rather save myself some hours and just watch a movie if that is the kind of entertainment I want.

This book falls into a newly created category derived from the above. If I want to see a whacky teen comedy, I'll watch the movie instead of reading the book. The book is pretty self-aware
Jen
Feb 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
It started off promising... really, it did. I'll admit it, I was a nerd in high school, so I can relate to Denis Cooverman a little bit. He uses his time at the podium during his high school graduation ceremony (valedictorian, of course) to criticize some of his classmates before professing his love for popular girl Beth Cooper.

The promising beginning didn't really go anywhere, unfortunately. Denis, who was repeatedly beaten up and made fun of during his school career, continues to be beaten up
EAK
May 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DO NOT READ THIS BOOK!

I am ashamed to admit that I suggested that my book club read this book as "a fun, summer read," since we seemed to be reading a lot of depressing books lately. I assumed that it would be a high school dork story in the vein of Freaks and Geeks. Instead, it was one of the worst books I have ever read. Yes, I gave it ZERO stars. And Larry Doyle, if you are reading this review, please contact me so I can give you my address so you can write me a check
Selene
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars
Maggie
Apr 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a funny book
Shelves: augie
When I read this book, I had no idea that the author, first-time novelist Larry Doyle, was an established television writer, with writing credits for "Daria," "Beavis and Butthead," and "The Simpsons," but I easily could have guessed. I Love You, Beth Cooper has the frantic pace and zany, unrealistic plot points that are necessary to keeping a television audience (especially the youthful ones of the aforementioned shows) interested for the whole half-hour. It is full to bursting with cliches of ...more
Michael
Jun 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
During his speech as high school valedictorian, Denis Coverman strays from his agreed upon script, taking a moment to get some things off his chest and call out certain members of the student body who have made his life miserable for the past four years. And he also takes a moment to let his secret crush, Beth Cooper, popular cheerleader, know that he loves her.

That's a hell of a hook and author Larry Doyle really makes work. The initial portions of the novel are laugh out loud funny, including
Jason Hough
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jason by: Ken Bibb
This book is all about making you laugh. The story is shallow, as are most of the characters.
While there were probably more moments in this that made me laugh aloud than any book since Hitchhikers Guide, it completely lacked any of the emotional or philosophical satisfaction Hitchhikers brought.
And, in an odd way, it's almost too funny. It's like the author kept going back and trying to make sure every single sentence had a joke in it. In that sense, although there are plenty of extremely funny
Kate
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, age-adult, humor
I wanted to read this book before seeing the movie and I'm glad I did (not because I've seen the movie yet and am making comparisons, but because I can't imagine the movie can translate half the humor of this book).

Denis Cooverman, aka "The Coove", aka "The Penis", decides that his valedictorian speech at his high school graduation is the perfect time to announce that he is in love with Beth Cooper, the head cheerleader, in addition to insulting several of his classmates. To his surprise, Beth
Rosa
Aug 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
Stopped reading this when I was already over halfway through, with less than 100 pages to go, something I Never do. I just kept thinking it'd get better, then I came on Goodreads to see numerous people had finished the book with similar hopes that were eventually dashed, and decided I'd sidestep the waste of my time. Incredibly tedious - 2-dimensional characterizations, deathly slow-moving plot (but with numerous unnecessarily over-the-top contrivances), highly annoying narrative style (one ...more
Jenny Rebecca
Mar 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
WHAT HAPPENED?!! I wanna know what happened at the end of the summer. Darn you Larry Doyle! This book was fun. More laughs, more good story. I want to know what happens next!
Scott
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes there's nothing better when that used book sale purchase - admittedly one I did not give much thought to at the time - turns out to be a diamond in the rough. You know - low cost / low expectation, right? I Love You, Beth Cooper is like a print version of an exceptional 80's or 90's teen comedy movie (the ones that had just the right balance of humor and heart in the mix).

Buffalo Grove High's Class of '07 valedictorian Denis Cooverman blurts out his infatuation regarding the popular
Sawyer Hintz
Cindy
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Silly, ridiculous, irreverent, zany, shallow, stupid. And guess what?.,,,this book cracked me up! Never saw the movie, never will and I don't care that the reviews were not the best on GR. This coming-of-age story set on graduation night from high school made me laugh and laughter is a good thing!
Michael Araujo
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I’m not really a jock. Actually, it’s more like I do no sports at all. Except running. Only away from psycho boyfriends of hot girls, but that only comes later. I’m more or less a geek. Still, pretty much a nobody.

But, it’s my High School graduation and that won’t matter because I’ll be going to College and won’t see any of these people again until our High School reunion. Right?

About that, one little problem. I kind of messed up. You see there’s this hot girl who is head cheerleader in my
Tintin
Sep 11, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I have no doubt that Larry Doyle can be a humorous writer (how else could he have credits in Beavis and Butthead and The Simpsons?), but he has no business writing a novel and should have stuck to writing for the screen.

Maybe saying 'no business' is too harsh. Let me rephrase: he should have honed his novel-writing first and not just ported his script to the novel format, bugs and all.

It may not look it but my favorite genre is comedy and I Love You Beth Cooper being tagged as a romance-comedy
Ben Babcock
I finished this book in three hours. From page one, Larry Doyle creates an eerily familiar depiction of high school, specifically that moment when you look back during your graduation and realize you're finally free and have your whole life ahead of you--and it's scary.

Doyle's wit sets us off on a one-night odyssey that originates from the single question, "What if, instead of delivering an average graduation speech, the valedictorian head of the debate team confesses his love for the head
Devin Bruce
Dec 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: former high school nerds, current high school nerds, fans of The Simpsons
Shelves: fiction, library, humour
On the day of his high school graduation, debate captain Denis Cooverman makes his valedictorian speech. He stands up in front of the podium, and it starts off typical and boring enough. Until he says the following five words: "I love you, Beth Cooper." This declaration of love for the head cheerleader - as well as a few other choice statements - stuns the crowd, and sets into motion a series of events that turns Graduation Night into the craziest, most dangerous, and exhilirating night of ...more
Staci
Jun 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Teens
Shelves: 2009-reads
Honestly, reading this book is like jumping on a roller coaster, forgetting to buckle your seatbelt, and you didn't have enough time to pull the bar down. So now you're flying all over the place, screaming your damn head off, swooping over the hills, feeling like you're going to throw up, ducking your head so you don't get decapitated, and then finally you pull back into the station, look at your partner that rode next to you and say..."Dude, that was one freakin' awesome ride. Let's do it ...more
Glen Moss
Jul 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
I am the first to admit that I am a Simpsons junkie, so whenever I find out that a writer from the show writes a book, I usually go out and find it. That is the case with Larry Doyle's: I love You Beth Cooper. This does pain me to say it but the book starts with a train wreck and does not improve from there.

The basic story is this, one unpopular boy who pined after a girl for all his high school years decides to announce his love for her during his Valedictorian speech. This just opens the
Brandon Will
I don't know. I was a dorko too, I went to high school in America, and I wanted to like this book. Some people with good taste had recommended it to me -- and they weren't wrong. This book is incredibly funny. I guess my problem enjoying it was that that's just all there is. It feels exactly like a book written by a writer for the Simpsons. And I'm not trying to put down the Simpsons here either, but, the show did lose a lot of it's depth as it went on.

I found this book incredibly stereotypical
Scott Benjamin
Sep 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
The beginning of this book has some of the funniest writing I have seen in a very long time. Although, as I noted to my friend, Amy, some of the humor might be lost on someone who was never an adolescent boy.

The middle does kind of drag on a bit, as the "main character constantly getting the crap kicked out of him" theme gets a bit overplayed. But it does end nicely.

I think every guy, at some point in high school, had a Beth Cooper. That's why it is so funny.

Mine was Christina Bianchi. But,
Kristy
Aug 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I can guarantee that if you read this book you will
1. Laugh
2. Smile
3. Cringe

Larry Doyle writes and understands geekdom at it's finest. Denis "The Penis" Cooverman is the smart kid, the Valedictorian. He also is in love with a girl he's hardley talked to, Beth Cooper. She appears to be this All-American, cheerleader, happy, easy-going girl. "The Coove" decides to proclaim his love for her in his Graduation speech which turns into a wild night spent with Beth, her friends and his friend
Trin
Oct 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, american-lit
Rather than deliver the usual platitudes, dorky Denis decides to lay some honesty on his high school graduating class during his valedictorian speech. Among other things, this involves outing his best friend and declaring his love for head cheerleader Beth Cooper—who unfortunately has no idea who he is. What follows is pretty much a lesser Judd Apatow movie in book form. There is Zaniness. And Shenanigans. And—quite a few funny moments, too. I came to like this book more as it went along—toward ...more
Andrew Shaffer
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love you too, Beth Cooper.
Whitney
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
It was so nice going into a book with absolutely no expectations. I've never seen the movie, so I had no idea what this would be about. I loved the unexpectedness of everything and how it was obviously written like a crazy teen movie. Kind of a dumb storyline, but I suppose that's part of the point.

I really loved that Denis had kind of put Beth on a pedestal and it was interesting to watch all of his beliefs about her fall apart as he truly got to know her.

I think I may need to see the movie
Sarah Hadd
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Really, this book was one big boner joke. But if you go into if knowing it’s gonna be like that and you don’t have huge expectations, it’s actually really funny!
Apr 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Basic Overview
I Love You, Beth Cooper is the literary equivalent of watching a John Hughes movie or a classic John Cusack as a teenager-in-love movie (think Say Anything). The book chronicles one wacky night (graduation night, no less) in the life of Denis Cooverman, who gets the ball rolling when he declares his love for the uber-popular and out-of-his-league Beth Cooper during his valedictorian speech. And what kind of people are valedictorians? Nerds. The book offers the classic "nerd
T
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Denis is the nerdiest of nerds, and Beth, the cheerleader and popular girl, is his unrequited love. During Denis’s graduation speech, he has the audacity to make this stunning confession, and over the course of the night, Denis and Beth, with friends along for the ride, traverse the night from one disaster to the next in a story that at times can be hilarious and entertaining, albeit that awkward, cringe worthy, can’t-watch-can’t-look-away kind of entertaining.

That being said, its awkward
Rachel
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It is not entirely my fault that I read a book as stupid as this one. I knew going in that it wasn't exactly going to be Ulysses, but given that it was so popular for more than a couple of years, when it turned out to be the book version of every raunchy teenage sex comedy ever, I was surprised. I mean, try to imagine the movie Porky's, but as a book. Seems unlikely, right? That's what I thought too, but sadly I was wrong.

So the plot, such as it is, is that Denis Cooverman, Nerd, gives the
Nely
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Denis Cooverman - class valedictorian, captain of the debate team and your all-around nerd is standing on stage, sweating profusely and giving his graduation speech when he decides to live on the edge and says:

"I love you, Beth Cooper."

Yep, in front of his 500+ classmates and their relatives.

Beth Cooper - head cheerleader, most popular and the hottest girl in school has only the vaguest idea of who Denis is. They’ve been in the same classes their whole lives but Denis has always sat behind her
The Ending 6 93 Jun 19, 2011 11:01PM

• Happy Hour in Hell (Bobby Dollar #2)
  • Youth in Revolt: The Journals of Nick Twisp
  • The Dirty Streets of Heaven (Bobby Dollar, #1)
  • The First Eagle (Leaphorn  & Chee, #13)
  • The Complete Enneagram: 27 Paths to Greater Self-Knowledge
  • The Film Club: A True Story of a Father and Son
  • God Is Not Mad at You: You Can Experience Real Love, Acceptance & Guilt-free Living
  • The Rest Falls Away (The Gardella Vampire Hunters, #1)
  • Arranged
  • Between the Notes
  • The Good Life
  • My Name is Not Easy
  • Love Your God with All Your Mind: The Role of Reason in the Life of the Soul
Larry Doyle's first novel, I Love You, Beth Cooper, won the 2008 Thurber Prize for American Humor.

His second novel, Go, Mutants!, was named one of the best novels of 2010 by the Washington Post.

Deliriously Happy, a 2011 collection of humor pieces from the New Yorker and elsewhere, didn't win any awards but some people liked it.

The Next One, an e-booklet was released in 2017. It's fate has yet
“I'm sorry I'm so pathetic," he thought, and then realized he had also said it.

Beth laughed, so lightly and so kindly that Denis felt it in his chest, not his stomach.

Can I tell you a secret?"

Yes, tell me all your secrets Denis kept to himself.

Beth leaned in, whispered: "All boys are pathetic.”
28 likes
“Denis could think of no logical reason why he should not attempt to mate with Beth Cooper.

There were no laws explicitly against it.

They were of the same species, and had complementary sex organs, most likely, based on extensive mental modeling Denis had done.”
5 likes