Start by marking “Crones Don't Whine: Concentrated Wisdom for Juicy Women” as Want to Read:
Crones Don't Whine: Concentrated Wisdom for Juicy Women

Crones Don't Whine: Concentrated Wisdom for Juicy Women

In her latest book, Crones Don't Whine, Jean Shinoda Bolen's playful sense of humor and keen insight combine to offer women thirteen qualities to cultivate. Engage in these small practices and you're bound to be a happier person, who's doing her bit to make the world just a little better. Here are thirteen brief essays to turn to again and again, in bad times and good, alo ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Conari Press

To ask other readers questions about Crones Don't Whine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crones Don't Whine

Start your review of Crones Don't Whine: Concentrated Wisdom for Juicy Women
Tami
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It was a time of great changes. Within a year, there was a mass deluge from the family nest, my first grandchild arrived, my husband had a heart attack, my career focus changed, and early indicators of menopause reminded me that the biggest changes were about to occur. I was leaving behind motherhood, making family meals, and picking up abandoned dirty dishes. I was moving on to a new phase of my life.

For me, the word crone has always brought up images of a wise elder. A crone as I see her is a
Cynda
I first read this book just as I was just admitting that I was leaving behind middle age and approaching menopause. So technically I was not yet a crone. I so am now. Hecatate of the Crossroads show me the Way.

The technicalities remain the same: Veer off the Spiritual Path too far, you land in the field of one character defect. She encourages the juicy-crone reader to stay on the Path by highlighting the Path.

Bolen is one of the most beautiful soul-expanded women I (kinda sorta) have met. She wr
Karen
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
I expected to love this book as I’ve loved all of the other Jean Shinoda Bolen books I’ve read. But this one disappointed me. It is very, very lightweight. It can be read in an hour and says absolutely nothing new to anyone who has even a nodding acquaintance with goals of self-development in life’s third act. Read the 13 qualities in the table of contents and you’ll have what you need. Save your money.
Karen
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Bolen writes a gentle book that invites mature women to embrace power, joy and compassion in the second half of life. She has a New Age feel, but it's not off putting for those who don't get their inspiration from archetypes of goddesses.

Each chapter is short, averaging 5 pages in a small book with large font. They are perfect for setting an intention before meditating or attending a yoga class. Or a chapter can serve as a writing prompt for writing in a journal.

A lot of her observations are c
Barbara
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has been a guidebook to how and who I want to be in the 3rd stage of my life as a Crone (age 56 and older). I've read it in 2004,5,6,8,18 with new insights into my own choices each time along with finding it quite interesting to read my comments made at places in previous years. Looking at where I am at 70 is both similar and different than late 50s and at 60. At 70, I find myself more fully embracing and exhibiting the 13 cone qualities Jean puts forth. These have been a wise guide to ...more
Cynthia
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: a-womans-life, 2017
I wish for a 2.5 star ... I didn't dislike it but I didn't really like it either ... but I'll err on the side of generosity and give it three stars.

Published before the era of blog posts and internet articles, this book is lacking depth. It really reads as an inflated blog post. The tenets are fine ... good reminders of where i am on my crone journey ... but there's really not much substance to the book.
Jul 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those of us who are crones, or approaching that state
Shelves: recently-read
This was a Mother's Day gift from my daughter Victoria. I LOVE it.
Ms. Bolen lists thirteen qualities a crone should strive for, including non-whining and juiciness. I'm trying to acquire the qualities.
Angela McCormick
More of a long essay than a useful book

I was disappointed. There just isn't any depth in this book. I had hoped for guidance and suggestions and perhaps personal stories to use for my personal growth. I am glad I only paid ninety-nine cents for it.
Carol
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
Very disappointing, I don't think that she said much of anything.
Eileen
Short, pithy and affirming. each phase of life has its worth and value. embrace it.
Linda
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
For women of a certain age this is a manual of self-help and redemption. It recommends finding ways to be happy and then doing so. All with a zen-like wisdom and understanding.
Bev Siddons
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
What's a crone, you ask? A crone has nothing to do with being witchy. A crone is an older woman who has come to really know herself, one who has wisdom to share and a wicked (in a good way) sense of humor. She has courage and ample energy. She shows compassion.

"The belly laughter of women together is something that usually happens in the absence of men. It's a spontaneous potluck of sharing that often arises in the midst of talk that is very real and true. . . stories of embarrassing 'could hav
Stella
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: menopause-aging
Short and sweet but not very deep. Thirteen rules or qualities to cultivate for becoming a juicy crone. Seems a bit sexist at times...women have flight or fight responses, too, not just tend and befriend...and while she lists some exceptional men who can be crones like Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi, the Dalai Lama, and Jimmy Carter, she makes it sound like such a rarity...and maybe it was for her generation, but I'd like to think not so much for the ones that follow. Though we certainly need to ...more
Nadia
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
"However, crones don't bore others with a litany of their symptoms-organ recitals or tales of woe-that have an air of performance or bragging. A crone knows she and her troubles are not the center of the universe and knows other people have problems, too. A crone doesn't indulge whining children or whining inner children. Especially her own."

And so begins this tell it as it is book written by the inimitable Jean Shinoda Bolen. Crisp, surgically precise and exuberant with reconceptualizing and em
Carlos
Sep 15, 2020 rated it liked it
This small book is a celebration of those women, and exceptional men, who, having lived long enough to learn from life, turn the third act of their lives towards the betterment of themselves and their society. Bolen highlights the rare circumstance that allows the entire generations of modern women to live long enough to reach their crone years and do so in enough health to continue making contributions to society. She focuses on the self-possession of those who have learned to own who they are ...more
Yvonne
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
If lifestyle articles directed to women in the age range of 50 to 70 irritate you with their dogmatic tirades on the height of your skirts rather than the benefits of your experience, please pick up this book and keep it with you. Although this is one of Jean Bolen's shorter works, she convincingly makes the case for older women's actions, works and presence as an untapped resource our culture ignores at its peril. Written with warmth and insight, the author encourages women to step into the la ...more
Lucretia Robison
Hopeful and lighhearted

Hopeful for women of any age. Gives us all something to look forward to, especially me as I approach Chrondom - in many ways I've already arrived. Becoming a chrone is a long developing storyline that only the experienced and courageous can fully develop. I read it in one evening and feel remarkably better about myself and my life, past, present and future. Very enjoyable!
Wendy
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I’m so very grateful to my friend, Bev Siddons, who recommended this short but thought provoking book! I am now honored to call myself a crone. A crone is a woman who is about inner development. She has gained experience,wisdom and knowledge over her years. She relishes humor, expresses her feelings and continues to be in progress! It’s an quick read with much that needs to be revisited.
Kathy
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Wanted to love this. Some good kernels of wisdom but for some reason the advice rang trite to my ears. Still, couldn't resist reading this book since I have a crone in my backyard holding up the brick garden edge. And, we need to honor our inner crones and remember they aren't evil but wise women.
Moira Shepard
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This delightful little volume distill a good deal of Shinoda Bolen's hard-won wisdom. As I reach cronehood myself, it's reassuring to see, through the author's eyes, the gifts and possibilities of this time of life.
Donna Girouard
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
There's wisdom here, and I will pay it forward by passing this book along to another crone.
Minor detail: I do, however, consider it a stretch to put Jimmy Carter in the same category as Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi, and the Dalai Lama.
Loretta Ellen
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved this book.
Aging isn’t for sissies and this author not only challenges my age group to keep growing but she also enlightens us to see the grace and the gift of reaching this age.
I highly recommend this book.
Betsy Campbell
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While I don't think this is necessarily a well-written book, the content is superb! All of us in our third phase of life can benefit from her insight and affirmation. Loved it!
Spiritual Sistagurl
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was short, but I greatly enjoyed the wisdom packed in the pages. I'm not chronologically a crone, but this is wisdom for all ages.
Jewel Star
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! A type of philosophy to aspire to. If you're 60 and beyond you must read this!
Deborah
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, wellness
A smart little book. Implementing.
Tara Neale
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you don't have time or are not sure if you want to read Bolen's Goddesses in Older Women might I recommend this shorter, comical version?

I think you will be convinced.
Kellene
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Proud crone here! Highly recommend to all of my female friends of a certain age. A great reminder to protect and be proud of the wonder that you are at the later stage of life.
Tatiana
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet.
Alice Hatter
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Quick read. Wise advice
« previous 1 3 next »

• Across That Bridge: A Vision for Change and the Future of America
  • Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor
  • Help Thanks Wow: The Three Essential Prayers
  • The Orphan Collector
  • Come to Me
  • Pre-Raphaelite Women Artists
  • Without Reservations: The Travels of an Independent Woman
Jean Shinoda Bolen, M. D. is a psychiatrist, Jungian analyst, clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of California San Francisco, a Distinguished Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and recipient of the Institute for Health and Healing’s "Pioneers in Art, Science, and the Soul of Healing Award". She is a former board member of the Ms. Foundation for Women.

News & Interviews

“women in the world will have been beaten or raped in their lifetime and everyday violence requires that women always be alert to this possibility. A crone is a woman who has found her voice. She knows that silence is consent. This is a quality that makes older women feared. It is not the innocent voice of a child who says, “the emperor has no clothes,” but the fierce truthfulness of the crone that is the voice of reality. Both the innocent child and the crone are seeing through the illusions, denials, or “spin” to the truth. But the crone knows about the deception and its consequences, and it angers her. Her fierceness springs from the heart, gives her courage, makes her a force to be reckoned with.” 7 likes
“have, and what” 0 likes