Start by marking “Crones Don't Whine: Concentrated Wisdom for Juicy Women” as Want to Read:
Crones Don't Whine: Concentrated Wisdom for Juicy Women

Crones Don't Whine: Concentrated Wisdom for Juicy Women

In her latest book, Crones Don't Whine, Jean Shinoda Bolen's playful sense of humor and keen insight combine to offer women thirteen qualities to cultivate. Engage in these small practices and you're bound to be a happier person, who's doing her bit to make the world just a little better. Here are thirteen brief essays to turn to again and again, in bad times and good, alo ...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Conari Press

To ask other readers questions about Crones Don't Whine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crones Don't Whine

Tami
Jan 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It was a time of great changes. Within a year, there was a mass deluge from the family nest, my first grandchild arrived, my husband had a heart attack, my career focus changed, and early indicators of menopause reminded me that the biggest changes were about to occur. I was leaving behind motherhood, making family meals, and picking up abandoned dirty dishes. I was moving on to a new phase of my life.

For me, the word crone has always brought up images of a wise elder. A crone as I see her is a
Cynda
I first read this book just as I was just admitting that I was leaving behind middle age and approaching menopause. So technically I was not yet a crone. I so am now. Hecatate of the Crossroads show me the Way.

The technicalities remain the same: Veer off the Spiritual Path too far, you land in the field of one character defect. She encourages the juicy-crone reader to stay on the Path by highlighting the Path.

Bolen is one of the most beautiful soul-expanded women I (kinda sorta) have met. She wr
Barbara
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book has been a guidebook to how and who I want to be in the 3rd stage of my life as a Crone (age 56 and older). I've read it in 2004,5,6,8,18 with new insights into my own choices each time along with finding it quite interesting to read my comments made at places in previous years. Looking at where I am at 70 is both similar and different than late 50s and at 60. At 70, I find myself more fully embracing and exhibiting the 13 cone qualities Jean puts forth. These have been a wise guide to ...more
Cynthia
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: a-womans-life, 2017
I wish for a 2.5 star ... I didn't dislike it but I didn't really like it either ... but I'll err on the side of generosity and give it three stars.

Published before the era of blog posts and internet articles, this book is lacking depth. It really reads as an inflated blog post. The tenets are fine ... good reminders of where i am on my crone journey ... but there's really not much substance to the book.
Jul 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those of us who are crones, or approaching that state
Shelves: recently-read
This was a Mother's Day gift from my daughter Victoria. I LOVE it.
Ms. Bolen lists thirteen qualities a crone should strive for, including non-whining and juiciness. I'm trying to acquire the qualities.
Angela McCormick
More of a long essay than a useful book

I was disappointed. There just isn't any depth in this book. I had hoped for guidance and suggestions and perhaps personal stories to use for my personal growth. I am glad I only paid ninety-nine cents for it.
Carol
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
Very disappointing, I don't think that she said much of anything.
Eileen
Short, pithy and affirming. each phase of life has its worth and value. embrace it.
Linda
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
For women of a certain age this is a manual of self-help and redemption. It recommends finding ways to be happy and then doing so. All with a zen-like wisdom and understanding.
Karen
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Bolen writes a gentle book that invites mature women to embrace power, joy and compassion in the second half of life. She has a New Age feel, but it's not off putting for those who don't get their inspiration from archetypes of goddesses.

Each chapter is short, averaging 5 pages in a small book with large font. They are perfect for setting an intention before meditating or attending a yoga class. Or a chapter can serve as a writing prompt for writing in a journal.

A lot of her observations are c
Stella
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: menopause-aging
Short and sweet but not very deep. Thirteen rules or qualities to cultivate for becoming a juicy crone. Seems a bit sexist at times...women have flight or fight responses, too, not just tend and befriend...and while she lists some exceptional men who can be crones like Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi, the Dalai Lama, and Jimmy Carter, she makes it sound like such a rarity...and maybe it was for her generation, but I'd like to think not so much for the ones that follow. Though we certainly need to ...more
Nadia
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
"However, crones don't bore others with a litany of their symptoms-organ recitals or tales of woe-that have an air of performance or bragging. A crone knows she and her troubles are not the center of the universe and knows other people have problems, too. A crone doesn't indulge whining children or whining inner children. Especially her own."

And so begins this tell it as it is book written by the inimitable Jean Shinoda Bolen. Crisp, surgically precise and exuberant with reconceptualizing and em
Yvonne
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
If lifestyle articles directed to women in the age range of 50 to 70 irritate you with their dogmatic tirades on the height of your skirts rather than the benefits of your experience, please pick up this book and keep it with you. Although this is one of Jean Bolen's shorter works, she convincingly makes the case for older women's actions, works and presence as an untapped resource our culture ignores at its peril. Written with warmth and insight, the author encourages women to step into the la ...more
Moira Shepard
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This delightful little volume distill a good deal of Shinoda Bolen's hard-won wisdom. As I reach cronehood myself, it's reassuring to see, through the author's eyes, the gifts and possibilities of this time of life.
Donna Girouard
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
There's wisdom here, and I will pay it forward by passing this book along to another crone.
Minor detail: I do, however, consider it a stretch to put Jimmy Carter in the same category as Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi, and the Dalai Lama.
Kathy
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Wanted to love this. Some good kernels of wisdom but for some reason the advice rang trite to my ears. Still, couldn't resist reading this book since I have a crone in my backyard holding up the brick garden edge. And, we need to honor our inner crones and remember they aren't evil but wise women.
Jewel Star
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! A type of philosophy to aspire to. If you're 60 and beyond you must read this!
Deborah
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, wellness
A smart little book. Implementing.
Spiritual Sistagurl
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was short, but I greatly enjoyed the wisdom packed in the pages. I'm not chronologically a crone, but this is wisdom for all ages.
Betsy Campbell
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
While I don't think this is necessarily a well-written book, the content is superb! All of us in our third phase of life can benefit from her insight and affirmation. Loved it!
Louise Carlson Stowell
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: women-s-studies
If you are looking for a book that is related to Moon magic and Pagan origins, this isn't what this book is about.

This is about the coming of age in women...how we recreate ourselves and transform into the wise woman crone. It describes the feelings and the lessons that we learn and can pass on to others. It talks about what a Crone is, what it means to be a Crone. It's about feeling good in your own skin. Being who you are and not being afraid to be yourself totally and also speak your mind.

It
Angela2932
May 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you want to read a wonderful book that helps you get beyond the cliches about aging in America, this is it! This book provides a very different perspective than the usual junk offered, particularly to women over 50, (or any women who aspire to someday be 50, so hopefully that includes all women.) Some, but not all, men, might appreciate this as well, but male socialization is just different for men than women. Jean Shinoda Bolen explores 13 attributes that are well worth cultivating to lead a ...more
Andrea Anastos
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have found wisdom and guidance in Jean Shinolda Bolen's books since I read "Crossing to Avalon" many years ago. This book is short and pithy. Very short and very pithy. It is, in fact, concentrated...like sun-dried tomato paste or pomegranate syrup. My own desire would have been for more depth and development, but its advantage as it stands is in an almost haiku quality. I read it, one chapter a night, for several nights and reading it that way makes it a form of meditation. I suspect it would ...more
Patricia
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mature women working together can improve the world and themselves. Bolen examines the history of religion, gender differences, conflicting values and patriarchal agendas that have brought us to the brink of destruction and endless wars.

It is up to mature women to reclaim their power and create a world that works for all of us. Seems to be a timely message...we need equal representation of women and men in positions of influence and power to bring balance, equity and peace to the planet.

Crone
Sheri
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
There are 3 phases of a woman's life: waxing, full and waning or otherwise known as maiden, mother and crone. A crone is not a bad thing. It refers to a woman who is in or past menopause and is at a stage in her life where others' peoples opinions dont matter so much anymore. She has grown into herself, knows who she is and what has madew her strong are all the struggles she had on the way to getting to this point.
The book is short, just a little over 100 pgs. and is full of wit and humor and
Dottie
Apr 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, 2012, 12s-in-12-botns
Read this a second time on the train March 9th. Pencil in hand the second time around. Still arather "meh" response however. There are bits well worth having read and a couple of spottieds well into other reading I've been doing of late but I'm not in the right place for this one at the moment perhaps or others held more for me. It's small and pithy so give it a shot if it sound at lall right for you.
Barbara
This book was way too short! I argue that if we have made it to this age in one piece, whining has not been a big part of our lives. I know it hasn't been part of mine. Bitching, yes, whining, no . And there is a whale of a difference. I have a sign in my bathroom that reminds me everyday that we don't whine. Another in the kitchen reminding guests to breathe more and whine less. They work, most of the time.
Robbi
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Every other page at least there was a gem. A nugget of truth I knew but didn't know I knew and needed to be reminded. I'm going to find a statue of Hectate, ancient mythical Greek goddess of crossroads. She has three faces - to look at the path you arrived on and the two ahead of you to chose from. Ah! cronehood, who knew!
Esther Harrison
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned-books
This book was gifted to me, so I read it. Mostly stuff I already knew, mostly stuff I agree with for a mature woman like myself. Younger women may or may not relate to much of this information, because I believe one must experience this life to truly understand and appreciate the many lessons we learn as we live fully.
Judi
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I am approaching 48 and I'm already perimenopausal...I feel like Im on the threshhold of "croneness." I already feel and see the 13 qualities either just beginning to bloom or set firmly in place. I found this book to be life affirming and validating and despite some other reviews, i think the author accomplished this without male bashing.
  • The Crone: Woman of Age, Wisdom, and Power
  • Enduring Grace: Living Portraits of Seven Women Mystics
  • When the Drummers Were Women: A Spiritual History of Rhythm
  • The Feminine Face of God: The Unfolding of the Sacred in Women
  • The Sacred Prostitute: Eternal Aspect of the Feminine (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 32)
  • Sisters of the Earth: Women's Prose and Poetry About Nature
  • Imagine a Woman in Love With Herself: Embracing Your Wisdom and Wholeness
  • In the Wake of the Goddesses: Women, Culture, and the Biblical Transformation of Pagan Myth
  • Pagan Spirituality: A Guide to Personal Transformation
  • Don't Just Do Something, Sit There: A Mindfulness Retreat with Sylvia Boorstein
  • Celtic Devotional: Daily Prayers and Blessings
  • Fountain of Age
  • Beyond God the Father: Toward a Philosophy of Women's Liberation
  • The Love Spell: An Erotic Memoir of Spiritual Awakening
  • The Second Journey: The Road Back to Yourself
  • The Feminist Papers: From Adams to de Beauvoir
  • Mary Magdalen: Myth and Metaphor
  • Sexual / Textual Politics: Feminist Literary Theory
Jean Shinoda Bolen, M. D. is a psychiatrist, Jungian analyst, clinical professor of psychiatry at the University of California San Francisco, a Distinguished Life Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association and recipient of the Institute for Health and Healing’s "Pioneers in Art, Science, and the Soul of Healing Award". She is a former board member of the Ms. Foundation for Women.
“women in the world will have been beaten or raped in their lifetime and everyday violence requires that women always be alert to this possibility. A crone is a woman who has found her voice. She knows that silence is consent. This is a quality that makes older women feared. It is not the innocent voice of a child who says, “the emperor has no clothes,” but the fierce truthfulness of the crone that is the voice of reality. Both the innocent child and the crone are seeing through the illusions, denials, or “spin” to the truth. But the crone knows about the deception and its consequences, and it angers her. Her fierceness springs from the heart, gives her courage, makes her a force to be reckoned with.” 4 likes
“have, and what” 0 likes