Start by marking “Verão em Edenbrooke (Edenbrooke, #1)” as Want to Read:
Verão em Edenbrooke (Edenbrooke, #1)

Verão em Edenbrooke

(Edenbrooke #1)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  34,146 ratings  ·  7,472 reviews
Romance e aventura numa história encantadora, ao estilo de Jane Austen.

Marianne Daventry seria capaz de tudo para escapar ao tédio de viver em Bath e às investidas amorosas de um pretendente indesejado. Por isso, quando a sua irmã gémea, Cecily, a convida para passar o verão com ela em Edenbrooke, a maravilhosa propriedade rural de uns amigos da família, ela nem hesita em
Published January 22nd 2018 by TopSeller (first published March 27th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Verão em Edenbrooke, please sign up.
Carole I am in a book club at my local library and the last 5 books have not appealed to me and I have only just read 100 pages or less. This one was so…moreI am in a book club at my local library and the last 5 books have not appealed to me and I have only just read 100 pages or less. This one was so good! I sat down to start it one evening and ended up finishing it the next!
(less)

Grace
Nov 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, romance, dnf
Update 12/30/12

Readers, please note that this is a negative review and contains negative elements, namely because I despised the book. I have gotten a lot of negative feedback from readers telling me their opinion and what I should or should not write in the review. Please note that I am not going to change a word of this review, and further repetitive comments WILL be deleted, since they all seem to be from the same people, or at least, focused on the same point. I encourage readers who are unh
Kathy
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being the clean romance, Jane Austen lover that I am I LOVED Edenbrooke.

What a fabulous way to spend a morning. Edenbrooke was a book I couldn't put down. I picked it up to read just a few pages before getting out of bed but didn't quit reading until I finished the book. While there may never be another Mr. Darcy it is possible that his twin is found roaming the grounds of Edenbrooke.

Squeaky clean, full of romance, humor and great characters this is a book I highly recommend. Perfect for lovers
Rachel
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
I will admit that I have an unfair, blanket aversion to "Deseret Book fiction". I'm not sure why or how the stereotypical cringing came to be, but it exists for me, nonetheless. Having acknowledged that, I was already wary at my first introduction of this book, but since I'll try any clean read, more so if it's recommended to me by someone I love, and doubly if there is talk that it is in any way Austen-esque, I curled up ready for...whatever.

I would have to strongly disagree with the general cl
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Edenbrooke is a sweet, unabashedly romantic story set in Regency England. Marianne Daventry, age 17, has always felt overshadowed by her more confident, more beautiful twin sister Cecily. While Cecily is enjoying the social life in London, Marianne has been rusticating in Bath with their grandmother for the last fourteen months, since their mother died and their father took himself off to France to grieve alone.

Grandmother makes an unexpected offer to make Marianne her heir, to the tune of 40,0
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more

Bff and I have a long and complicated history. We were introduced by our mothers soon after my family had relocated to her hometown. My mother, ever anxious for me to make friends, called me over to point out her new friend's daughter, a girl about my age with long, curling blonde hair, wearing a frilly dress, and . . . twirling.

I was not impressed.

This is a story that's been told many times, and not just b/c we did eventually become the good friends our mothers had hoped we would, but
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
Love!

Each time I read this I seem to fall in love just a little bit more. It really is one of my very favorite regencies. I remember when it first came out I was drawn to its beautiful cover, it really fits the story so well.

Marianne is a likable heroine, a bit blind at times and so modest that she couldn't possibly imagine that anyone would chose her over her beautiful twin Cecily. After the tragic death of her mother, she is separated from her twin and sent to live with her grandmother in Bat
Malin
Nov 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one, it sucks!
Marianne Daventry is an innocent 17-year-old whose mother died the year before in a riding accident. Her father's scarpered off to France to grieve, her twin sister's in London with family friends enjoying a season, while poor little Marianne is wasting away with boredom at her grandmother's in Bath. Her gran, a cranky and unpleasant old biddy, decides to disinherit her no good scoundrel nephew and bestow her fortune of forty thousand pounds on Marianne, as long as the girl will learn to behave ...more
Chantel
 photo Edenbrooke_zpsfgpyiuqe.jpg

I hope you do not let anyone else's expectations direct the course of your life.” -Julianne Donaldson, Edenbrooke

O Edenbrooke, O Edenbrooke!!

There are some books that come along that you know you will instantly love, and Edenbrooke is exactly that for me. Reading this story was equivalent to eating chocolate!!

This book was just delightful! This story had everything you want in a Regency romance; endearing characters, dashing hero's, humorous and quick-witted dialogue, and villains that will
Lna
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, qué bonitoooooo.
Ha sido de las mejores novelas románticas de época que he leído. La autora tiene una delicadeza y sencillez escribiendo que me ha sorprendido muy gratamente, transmitiendo mucha dulzura y picaresca a la vez. Sobre todo por sus personajes, que están muy bien construidos y adecuados a la época. Me fascina ese juego social, tan hipócrita muchas veces, pero divertido y caballeroso al mismo tiempo que se llevaba por aquel entonces :D
Aiss, Marianne y Philip han sido adorables.
Un gr
Sophie
(UPDATE: As amazing the second time, if not more!)

A.M.A.Z.I.N.G! I would give it more than 5 stars if I could!

It really was a 'proper romance' like it says - it satisfied, more than satisfied, my romantic wishes and I am such a hopeless romantic!

I loved the whole story and some parts came as a complete shock. It kept me on tender-hooks which is always the best way in a story.

I loved all the major and minor characters. The heroine, Marianne, is the best heroine! Being my age, I could relate to
Kristina Brownell
This was a very well-done Regency period novel. Other reviews are drawing parallels to Jane Austen. That's a fair assessment based on time period only. Let me share a shocking secret with you...Ready? I do not love Jane Austen novels. There, I said it. I do not love Jane Austen novels. It feels good to have that out in the open. I don't feel light or free when I read those books. I feel weighted down. I don't like the societal customs. I don't find the romance engaging and I am bothered by the l ...more
Anne
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All the hopeless romantics of this world!
Recommended to Anne by: Soph, Alice, Becca, Kathryn, Tadiana, Tweety, Maria, Beth & so many others!! Thank you all!
This book had been recommended to me ever since I joined Goodreads, and by so many people that I have lost count. When it finally arrived in the mail about a week ago, I pounced on it like a tiger and started jumping up and down in excitement. And if it hadn't been for all the furniture, I might even have twirled... ;) Hahaha just kidding, I don't *ahem* twirl.

So, with exceedingly high expectations after having heard Edenbrooke praised to the skies for so long, I plunged in it wholeheartedly, p
Floripiquita
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5 estrellazas. Gran deudor de Jane Austen, se trata de un libro sencillo pero muy bonito, ameno y lleno de romanticismo. La relación que se forja entre los protagonistas, primero de amistad y luego de amor, es preciosa y sus conversaciones muy divertidas. Philip es un protagonista masculino adorable -ayyyyy, esa carta de amor- y Marianne, a pesar de su inseguridad y gran inocencia -justificada por su edad y educación- una mujer leal y nada banal. Me ha encantado.
Julie Carpenter
This is my umpteenth time reading Edenbrooke and I love it more and more each time! Julianne Donaldson is a fabulous author and storyteller!!! If you are a regency era fan this is the next book you need to grab and read! Warning: you probably won't want to put it down once you start so don't start when you have lots going on or you will either putting everything off or rushing to finish it so you can read! Lol.

I love both of the MCs. Marianne is a sweet girl who is hurting from losing her mothe
Marisa Sauco
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¡¡¡MARAVILLOSA!!! ❤
La pareja protagonista es ADORABLE.
Su historia de amor... PRECIOSA.
La autora.... IMPECABLE.

¡Qué placer leer libros tan bonitos!
Amy
Oct 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I adore Georgette Heyer and her Regency romances and was excited that I might find a new favorite author in this book. I drove my little Volvo home from the library in a flurry of excitement to get started on this book. This is where the story turns sad. I had to abandon this book and I am a little leery of posting my scathing review here because it was recommended by a friend and I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. That said based on the Goodreads reviews LOTS of people loved this book and ...more
Estefanía Álvarez
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tengo
4.5/5 Ainsss me duele la cara de sonreír jeje
Cherine
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite read of 2012!! Actually it tops as one of my favorite reads ever. Julianne Donaldson is so a kindred spirit! I am in love with Philip maybe even more than my beloved Mr. Darcy :)
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heidi by: Michele
Words cannot express how much I adore this book. I totally relate to Marianne, her insecurities and strengths, and Phillip is the perfect hero in my mind. The romantic tension is off the hook. I can't count how many times I've read it (especially my favorite parts). Also highly recommend the prequel novella, Heir to Edenbrooke.
Angie
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books I hesitate to rate since everyone seems to love it and I didn’t. It’s the same old story with a new title. Self-admitting less attractive younger women unknowing to herself falls in love with dashingly handsome and rich heir to an estate. The same man her beautiful blonde, blue eyed, supposedly refined older twin sister (along with several other eligible girls) has been trying to ensnare for over a year. He falls for less refined twin but has to convince her his love i ...more
Shannon
Mar 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVED Edenbrooke. I won an ARC in a blog giveaway and cracked it open yesterday...I was immediately so captivated that I didn't want to put it down. I wasn't able to finish it in one sitting, but rather had to muster the self control to put it down in order to tend to my 21-month-old throughout the majority of the afternoon, but I immediately picked it up again after putting him to bed and read late into the night. I finished the book this morning and I can tell you that I was thoro ...more
Deanne Patterson
This is the first book I've read by this author. It has everything you want in a Regency , a dashing hero, a beautiful heroine,traveling,shy looks,stolen kisses, a duel,trickery,kidnapping,rescuing. Ahhh, this book was pure bliss as I could imagine being there at Edenbrooke and experiencing it all myself.
Charlie Holmberg
Absolutely the best recency romance I've read to date. Emotional, clever. I cried and laughed. 100% recommend.
Sandy Ⓢ
Precioso. <3

[Releído el 21 de febrero de 2017]
Kimberly Carrington-Fox
Realmente le pondría 3'5 pero Phillip es tan sumamente adorable que se lleva un empujoncito en las estrellitas y todo mi corazón. Es un gran nadismo que se lee muy fácilmente, con una protagonista tan inocente que a veces peca de tonta y un protagonista nacido para conquistarte casi desde el primer minuto. Luego la trama es bastante sencilla y superficial (y de nulo calorreo!) pero a veces se agradecen estos libros que no engañan ni ofrecen más de lo que realmente son, una lectura amena, diverti ...more
Maria Clara
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exactamente no sé qué decir. En cierta manera me ha decepcionado un poco. Supongo que después del éxito que ha tenido el libro, me imaginaba otra cosa; una historia diferente. Y, aunque no puedo decir que me a desagradado tampoco me a encantado: la he encontrado demasiado inocente. Y, aun así, eso es buena señal, ya que las jóvenes de esa época, debían de ser como Marianne.
Vero Rinconin
Un cuquismo de época que me ha encantado, muchas sonrisas tontas en la cara durante la lectura, el protagonista es todo un gentleman que quiero que me lo envuelvan para regalo right now! ♥.♥
Anna Casanovas
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Edenbrooke" es una novela preciosa en el sentido más amplio de la palabra. La autora toma una decisión muy arriesgada y nos cuenta la historia en primera persona, algo muy inusual en las novelas de romántica histórica, pero que en este caso funciona a la perfección. La trama es "clásica", aunque sin duda hay un par de giros que sorperden, y los personajes son el eje de la novela. Al estar narrada en primera persona he echado de menos conocer mejor a Phillip, pero aún así es un protagonista masc ...more
Penny Reid
Even though I spend most of my time rushing around like a hummingbird on meth, I consider myself a true romantic at heart in that whimsical, day-dreamer kind of way. This book is for true romantics. It's not Jane Austen and it is not- necessarily- one million percent historically accurate but it is funny and smart and it made me sigh and my chest all achy. The hero is heroic and the heroine is sweet. I loved it and have already re-read it. It was by far my favorite romance of 2012.
Fred Donaldson
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't really read romance novels, so I lack a frame of reference. Edenbrooke tells an exciting regency story while giving insights into the main character. I stayed up really late in order to finish the second half of the book. It really is like nothing I have ever read--in a good way. This book is special.
Book Choice 2 3 May 17, 2018 09:07PM
  • Drops of Gold (The Jonquil Brothers #2)
  • Becoming Lady Lockwood
  • The Guise of a Gentleman (Rogue Hearts, #2)
  • Untethered
  • Marian's Christmas Wish - Just a simple Christmas Wish -- but not simple when Love is at Stake
  • My Fair Gentleman
Julianne Donaldson grew up as the daughter of a U.S. Air Force fighter pilot. She learned how to ski in the Italian Alps, visited East Berlin before the wall came down, and spent three years living next to a 500-year-old castle. After earning a degree in English, she turned her attention to writing. She writes historical romance when she is not busy with her four young children and husband. Edenbr ...more
“To my unsuspecting love.
When I look into your eyes, I lose all sense of time and place. Reason robbed, clear thought erased, I am lost in the paradise I find within your gaze.
I long to touch your blushing cheek, to whisper in your ear how I adore you, how I have lost my heart to you, how I cannot bear the thought of living without you.
To be so near to you without touching you is agony. Your blindness to my feelings is a daily torment, and I feel driven to the edge of madness by my love for you.
Where is your compassion when I need it most? Open your eyes , Love, and see what is right before you: that I am not merely a friend, but a man deeply, desperately , in love with you.
Longing for you.”
226 likes
“I hope you do not let anyone else's expectations direct the course of your life.” 101 likes