Start by marking “2018 on Goodreads” as Want to Read:
2018 on Goodreads

2018 on Goodreads

(Goodreads Year in Review)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  1,259 ratings  ·  1,496 reviews
Whether or not you've had time to write your own reviews, here's a chance to review your entire 2018 reading and post it under this title so that others can see what your reading year was like. Together, all the reviews of 2018 on Goodreads should make an interesting and varied catalogue of books to inspire other readers in 2019.

For those of you who don't like to add title

·  1,259 ratings  ·  1,496 reviews

Emily May
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018

💫 2017 on Goodreads
💫 2016 on Goodreads
💫 2015 on Goodreads

The last few years have certainly been interesting! This year I have discovered so many amazing new authors and returned to old favourites - it's been a really good year for books. I also attended the Goodreads Choice Awards celebration, visited an amazing Austrian library, and had another baby! A Gryffindor, methinks.

Now for the annual Emily Choice Awards.

Best Fantasy: Circe and The Poppy War
Best YA Sequel: Muse of Nightmares
Best Science
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Omg!! I forgot about updating this damn thing! I have 6,498 books to add. I don't know if I can do this! I might just add a few here and there. I'm starting to get burnt out on GR. I didn't plan on coming on here after cancer and being the same boring person. I want to get to know more of my friends in groups and stuff. Damn it all ........

*So far this year I have re-read some books and loved a few that I have read for the first time. I'm only going to list favorites and 5 stars (including just
Miranda Reads
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Never reviewed a year before, but here goes!!

2018 was absolutely full of books - 290 to be precise - and with those books came some amazing highs and some pretty deep lows.

I discovered the pure awesome of Sarah J. Mass (courtesy of Angela's Booked)... and the pure headache of Gena Showalter (also courtesy of Angela's Booked).

Actually, a huge shout out to Angela's Booked in general for getting me on this site - she's literally the best.

I read over 90 books from authors and publishing compani
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
2018 = 200 books!

Here's my top five (in no particular order!)

1. Midnight’s Children

2. The Ocean at the End of the Lane

3. The Waves

4. Circe

5. Spinning Silver

Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Insta | Academia
Chaima ✨ شيماء
I know I am consistently staggered by the totally normal progression of time but I genuinely can’t believe 2018 is almost over and I just want to say....from the bottom of my heart....

what the FUCK was this year?

2018 tried to kill me but I'm still here, bitch.

Last year, I wrote a very personal and almost unbearably emotional 2017 on Goodreads (you can find it HERE) and as I was reading it, I was mentally spraying my past self with water and muttering every two sentences, "No, stop it, too much o
Brina
Apr 26, 2018 added it
Shelves: year-end-review
Greetings goodreads friends. In 2017, I enjoyed a surreal experience where I managed to read over 200 books. The year 2018 has shaped up to be a year where reading has been at a premium due to a variety of real life factors including family celebrations. It has been a small miracle that I even approached 90 books this year. Many of the books I have read were earmarked special books in order to maximize the reading time I do have. I also cut down on reviewing due to time constraints even for book ...more
Melanie
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018

2018 was actually a really good year for me; reading wise and life wise. This was the first year I've read 200 books and I really can't believe it! But more importantly, I have made so many more friendships and connections and I truly feel so blessed that I get to gush about books with so many people! Thank you so much to everyone who interacts with me and takes the time to read my reviews. It means more to me than you'll ever know! And I'm wishing you all pure happiness, unconditional love, goo
Ilse
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, reviewed
Thinking about life with books, attempting to recapitulate the reading year for the fourth time, maybe just one word could do for 2018: Middlemarch. Reading Middlemarch in 2018 to me was pure bliss. In the afterglow of it, reading Zadie Smith’s essay on the novel in Changing My Mind: Occasional Essays, I caught myself nodding at Smith’s eulogy: In Middlemarch love enables knowledge. People are still all that people really have: our knowledge of, and feelings for, one another. Eliot is thinking w ...more
Jaline
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful reading year I had in 2018! Sometimes, I think I know what books to choose and it doesn't turn out that great. This year, for the most part, I allowed the books to choose me - and the results were a pleasure.

A preliminary note for my personal rating system might be warranted here:

1-Star Reads: this is not something I have experienced yet

2-Star Reads: these are, plain and simple, bad choices on my part

3-Star Reads: books in this category are, for me, most likely ones that were go
Julie
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
2018
This is a list of my top books of 2018. The books on this list may not have been published in 2018, but I READ them in 2018, and that counts in my book.

So, without further ado-
Tangerine- Christine Mangan
And Then She Was Gone- Lisa Jewell
The Traveling
Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️
Awwwww, 2018...or as I like to call it...That Year I Was the Shittiest of GR Friends...

As you can tell by that^ bullshit title, this is going to be more of a quick-and-dirty-lifestyle-verbal-diarrhea monologue. So if you have no interest in that, you've been warned. Thoughtful discussion of the books I read this year? Sorry, not so much.

This is more for those wonderful and caring people who have sent me, "Are you ok? You aren't around anymore," messages throughout the year.

2018 was one of the
Charlotte May
Jan 08, 2018 marked it as year-in-review
Update 14.11.18

I've completed my challenge of 90 books and the year isn't over! (4.1.19) EDIT: I actually finished the year on 103

Here are some more favourite's from the second half of 2018 :)

A Shiver of Snow and Sky

Station Eleven

Lost Boy (this was a phenomenal retelling, and I am definitely going to read more of her books!)

The Shock of the Fall

A Thousand Perfect Notes

The Song of Achilles

Lie With Me (I was pleasantly surprised by this thriller)

A Darker Shade of Magic and A Gathering of Shadows
Matthew
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: year-in-review
Goodreads tells me my average rating for 2018 is 4.1, so rounding that to a solid 4 stars. It was a great year for reading and it was the most 5 star books I have had in a year since joining GR in 2012.

It was also the year I became the social media/Goodreads pariah because of my controversial feelings about a book. More on that below!

Here is the basic breakdown:

Best book this year: Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2) by Neal Shusterman - I cannot wait for the third one!

Least favorite book this year: Vox by Christina Dalcher - many of you know there is a lot of backstor
Justin Tate

Tara Westover - Educated
Priya Parker - The Art of Gathering
Ernest Cline - Ready Player One
R.L. Stine - Please Do Not Feed the Weirdo
Stephen King - Pet Sematary (Re-read)
Octavia E. Butler - Kindred

The President is Missing by Bill Clinton & James Patterson

Most quirky and fabulous:
Conv
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
Update: 2019/01/01

Since 2018 is officially over I made a list of my top 15 books that left either a good or bad impression. *lol*
If you want to read it you can find it on my blog:
Top 15 of my bookish 2018 - The Awesome, The Meagre & The Series

I hope your 2018 was a good reading year too and I'm already looking forward to your reviews, updates and challenges in 2019!!
_____________________________

Haha! What to write in here?
I think so far I’ve been A HUGE FAIL when it comes to my reading go
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Woo! What. A. Year. I have a lot to say, but first of all, let's talk books:
💜H O N O R A B L E M E N T I O N S

A sortable shelf of all my 2018 faves is available here.

backlist: school reads

Annet
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Susanne  Strong
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What made this year so special? Well, buddy reads of course! (You know who you are!): Thank you for always being there, for being an amazing friend and for making me laugh daily.

This was an amazing year for me from a reading perspective - I’ve read more than ever before, far surpassing my reading goal, which astonishes me.

I’ve also interacted with and formed genuine friendships with many more of you and for that I am so very grateful. I am very close with a few of you and I appreciate you al
Glenn Russell

Thanks to each and every one of my Goodreads friends for exchanges revolving around books this past year. I so appreciate every time someone takes a moment of their valuable time to read and/or comment on one of my reviews. Onward in 2019! We have a spectacular thing going here.

In addition to several works of non-fiction, for the fun of it, I kept a list of the titles of the novels I've read and posted a review in 2018. Here they are, all 94:

The Information - Martin Amis
Tishomingo Blues - Elmo
Paul Bryant
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Update : I'm just adding a couple of books in here, and I forgot to mention my Author of the Year (see below)

THE GOOD

Goodreads page of stats tells me that the least popular book I read this year was The Top 1000 Doo Wop Songs Collectors Edition, by Anthony J Gribin and Matthew M Schiff which has only been read by one person so far, myself.

Interestingly, according to the stats, the most popular book I read this year was The Top 1000 Doo Wop Songs Collectors Edition by Anthony J Gribin and Matthew
Fionnuala
Dec 19, 2018 marked it as year-in-review
When lots of you were reading ghost stories in November, I thought of joining in, and perhaps finally reading The Haunted Bookshop or the
The House by the Churchyard but then a shiver of recognition ran through me and I realised there was no need to purposely read a ghost story — I've been reading them all year in one form or another.

Yes, the innocent looking books on my 2018 book shelf are awash with ghosts — from the many suffering spirits in Jesmyn Ward's Sing, Unburied, Sing to the troubled
Steven Godin
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'd always planned to write my GR end of year review, as close to the end of the year as possible, but just in case I end up drinking one too many cocktails, thus hampering my ability to hit the right keys and look at the screen properly, I will get it done and dusted now, with a clear head, a strong coffee, and some Debussy soothingly playing away in the background.

2018 then, was (technically speaking it still is) another stunningly good reading year for me, in fact it's five years ago, roughly
Kenny
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful year in reading I've had ~~ really off the hook.

My biggest accomplishment as a reader in 2018? I finished Ulysses! I feel this to be my greatest accomplishment as a reader to date. James Joyce is a genius, and Ulysses solidified my love and respect for Joyce. You can check out my review here: My Ulysses Review.

My biggest, best & favorite discovery this year was Haruki Murakami. Thank you Srđan, for urging me to open this door. I love Murakami. My favorite book of his so fa
Lex Kent
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-favorites
Best Lesfic Books of 2018

Before I start the best of awards I just want to give a few thoughts on the year. I do have to say overall I felt the books that came out this year were good. I felt like I gave out many 3.5 star and 4 star ratings. What I was missing was more of the 5 star books. 2017 seemed to be packed with books that need to be re-read and sit on my forever favorite’s shelf, 2018 not as much. Luckily, I still had plenty of books to choose from for my yearly awards so I can’t comp
Angela M
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thanks so much to all my Goodreads friends for the wonderful reviews, recommendations, discussions, comments and for the gift of connection to others who love to read as much as I do. Happy New Year to all of you !

My favorite book of the year is Tin Man and it touched me so much I could hardly write a review. I just don’t know if I could do it justice. It’s followed by The Very Marrow of Our Bones.

There were so many others that moved me in so many different ways. Here are some of them not in any
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
2018 was a hell a of year. I think the fact that I’m posting my year-in-review 10 days late shows I’m still reeling a bit. Like my 2017 review, the first half is personal-reflection and growth, the second half is sexy pie-graphs.

for me:
• This was the year I moved in with my 4 y/o nephew. I don’t want to get into the details, but his home was no longer a healthy environment for him, and I’m so happy he has a great support system. I’ve never been a kid person, but this past year I had to step u
Karen
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was another good year in reading for me, I only set a goal of 52 for the year, I did surpass that by a few.

My 5 Star reads:

The Immorta
Cecily
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lit-crit
All year, I maintained a list of my reviews, intending to write a creative and maybe amusing review of the year. I had vague plans of grouping them in quirky categories, doing a fragmentary pastiche of something, or using picture clues. I certainly intended to pick out highlights, lowlights, and surprises.

The year was going well:

• I read and reviewed a lot of wonderful books (and a few bad ones).
• As well as my usual fare of novels and short stories, I read several Trump-related books, diluted
Kevin Kelsey
Much longer version posted at Heradas.com

Detailed Reading Stats

2018 is drawing to a close, and in a lot of ways it feels like the longest year I have ever lived. It was a good year though, lots of change and new things coming on the horizon. Can I just mention how satisfying it has been to watch Trump's presidency begin to crumble all around him these past few weeks? Every day is like a beautiful gift.

Things I did this year: slept through a third of it, turned 34, read a bunch of books, kicked Facebook and Instagram
Julie
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: year-in-books
It was a year of firsts for this voracious reader, but I've broken it down to my top ten experiences (this does not necessarily mean that I loved the book!):

First book that made me realize that I'd rather be celibate than sleep with 87% of the male population, and, if I ever find myself in a skyscraper with Erica Jong, I will literally jump out the window: Fear of Flying

First book that ever made me become nauseous at the sight of a peach: Call Me By Your Name

First book that disturbed me so deepl
Reading Challenge 1 3 Jan 03, 2019 12:04PM
THREE STAR Reviews 3 19 Jan 02, 2019 08:45AM
Are you missing the progress on your home page 'currently reading'? 3 18 Jan 01, 2019 11:24AM
How to get involved in the goodreads community? 1 21 Nov 24, 2018 05:50PM
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. not a book but just reviews of other books. 3 40 Oct 07, 2018 07:22AM
What happened to the Goodreads giveaways? 1 21 Sep 24, 2018 07:47PM

• Oliver Byrne: The First Six Books of the Elements of Euclid
  • Trouble dans les andains
  • Il Presidente
  • The Book of Everything
  • Bestialitetens historie: Frihetens øyeblikk / Kruttårnet / Stillheten (Bestialitetens historie, #1–3)
  • Tolkien: Maker of Middle-earth
  • Philosophy of Mathematics and Natural Science
  • The Many Worlds of Hugh Everett III: Multiple Universes, Mutual Assured Destruction, and the Meltdown of a Nuclear Family
  • Uppgång & fall
  • The Sexual Life of an Islamist in Paris
  • L'Univers expliqué à mes petits-enfants
  • A Fortunate Universe: Life in a Finely Tuned Cosmos
Various is the correct author for any book with multiple unknown authors, and is acceptable for books with multiple known authors, especially if not all are known or the list is very long (over 50).

If an editor is known, however, Various is not necessary. List the name of the editor as the primary author (with role "editor"). Contributing authors' names follow it.

Note: WorldCat is an excellent res

Goodreads Year in Review (7 books)
  • 2013 on Goodreads