Start by marking “Coach's Challenge (Scoring Chances, #5)” as Want to Read:
Coach's Challenge (Scoring Chances, #5)

Coach's Challenge

(Scoring Chances #5)

6 hrs 50 mins

It’s been decades since blackmail forced Troy Callahan to retire from playing professional hockey, and he’s built a successful career behind the bench. When he’s offered the opportunity to coach the Asheville Ravens—the most hated team in the ECHL—he’s convinced that his no-nonsense attitude is just what the team needs to put their focus back on hockey. But Tr
Audible Audio, 7 pages
Published December 26th 2016 by Dreamspinner Press

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
I am a devoted fan of the Scoring Chances series and really enjoyed this sexy, low angst story. But I didn't LOVE it like I loved books 3 (Misha and Max made me swoon) and 4 (Isaac and Laurent slayed me).

Shane and Troy are pretty fucking awesome, but they are all sex and jibes, aggression and dirty talk. This story lacked the tenderness, the sweetness, the ROMANCE.

BUT HOCKEY.

Troy, out and proud, is the new coach of the much despised Ravens. Shane is a good but not amazing player who accepted
Judith
4.5 Stars.Dirty talk...Dirty talk...

Hot,and deliciously dirty.Bring on the sexy times with two of the hottest Alpha Males I've read about.

Well....pass me a fan.It might not be romantic in the conventional sense but this Author gets the chemistry between her characters spot on.I'm an absolute push over for grumpy,sarky,sexy characters who aren't afraid of getting dirty when the opportunity presents itself....it turns out these two aren't afraid of the possibility of being watched.

I'm not a massiv
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

I've LOVED the entire Scoring Chances series, and Coach's Challenge was no different! Hot, sarcastic, bossy, mature MEN (not boys!) who took their relationship from flirting to sexual to more, and a great audiobook narration to boot.

I've had a bad streak with Avon Gale's work recently, so I was actually nervous about starting Coach's Challenge. However, it didn't let me down at all, and I was thrilled that the audio reading was as good as I had remembered. I didn't want to stop listening, whic
Wendy
4-5stars3.png (700×200):

I am a huge fan of this series and this author. So I was very excited to start this one. What I like most about these books is that even though they are in the same series, they are so different from one another. I found book 1 a bit quirky, book 2 sexy, book 3 romantic, book 4 very emotional and this one...well this one was really fun to read !!

e8abb7ed0914e19ee2fdb17c52c3003a.gif (500×229)

I loved the banter between these two men !! This was definitely my kind of book. Now that being said...book 4 is still my favorite, because the MC's in
Simone
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***4.5 Stars***

Low on angst + top-notch sexy = another hit in this series

'A new broom sweeps clean' as the saying goes and in this case there is not just one but two needed to clean up the mess the former coach of the Asheville Ravens left behind by making said team the probably most hated in the whole league.

For Troy Callahan, new head coach of the Ravens, whose career as an active hockey player found an abrupt end not long after it began by being outed as gay by the man whose position h
Ele
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
-4.25 stars-

Man, Avon Gale ticks so many of my boxes! Scoring Chances is one of my favorite series ever, and Coach's Challenge was a worthy addition.

What I liked:

-The banter. Avon Gale is one of the few authors that can make me laugh out loud. The sarcastic/deadpan/give no fucks humour is my kind, and Troy rocked it.
"Just keep in mind that the Troy Callahan Sensitivity Training Seminar is a door hitting your ass on the way out and we’ll get along fine. Now that we got that clear, I’m gonna t
Jewel
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this latest installment of Avon Gale's Scoring Chances series. I don't watch hockey, but I might be picking up enough lingo to keep up with at least some of the hockey-speak. Regardless of my (lack of) fluency in hockey, though, I love this series. Coach's Challenge is a low angst, sexy read.

The Asheville Ravens are the most hated team in the ECHL league -- and with good reason. Their former coach was paying players to injure competitors and also blackmailing people to get his w
Catherine
Scoring Chances is easily one of my favourite series currently being written. Gale's low-angst, feel-good stories are consistently filled with lovable characters, satisfyingly smexy times, scenes that make me smile, a general thread of acceptance - of self and of others - that warms my heart, romance, and of course, plenty of hockey.

Unfortunately, while Coach's Challenge definitely brought the heat in the bedroom with all of that extra dirty talk and public sex, it lacked the tenderness and rom
Hollis
Troy's personality was a bit overbearing. Especially when he first met someone. And then generally every moment after that.

COACH'S CHALLENGE was pure sporty, sexy, bantery, entertainment.

"You signed an aging goon to a team full of bullies? Are you secretly working for the forces of fucking evil, or what?"

Seriously. There was so much hockey in this book it made me so happy. You might be thinking, 'but don't most sports books have the required sport featured?', yes, you would think so! But it's n
Christelle
I tried, I really tried because I like sport romances and there’s always very enthusiastic reviews about this series. And the promise of a read with mature MCs...even better for me.

But every time I read a book from this series, the same thing happens : it’s not working for me. Not that I don’t like the series at all, far from that, but I don’t engage. I know I read the book, but I don’t feel anything, neither bad nor good. It just seems that I don’t mesh with this author.

This one was no exceptio
Fabi
4.5 stars!

I've loved this series, but this may be my favorite of all the books.

I have a total thing for romance stories featuring two tough, rough, snarky alphas who like to **** um, let's just say, who like each other. Cally and North brought it and then some. Fantastic story!
☆ Todd

While this story had plenty of steam and some entertaining, snarky banter, I didn't really get that much romance out of it, so I missed seeing the feels sneaking up, then slowly taking hold the way that it did in the previous books.

Yes, both MC's were ridiculously competitive and contrary just for the sake of being affable dicks to one another, but if there were feelings developing, then I'd expect a good bit more dialogue as to their growing attachment, even if it was mostly limited to their ow
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱*The coach and the aging goon*⋰⋱⋰⋱⋰⋱

There was something missing in this book. Much more than the previous book. Coach Troy Callahan (46?), aka ‘Hot Coach McDirty Texts’ according to Alani, and veteran player Shane North (36) were a cute couple, but the connection? I didn't see it all that much... The chemistry wasn't all there... Perhaps if the book had been longer, with a little more depth, it might have been better. For me, at least. Overall, the story was cool, fast forward, easy to r
BWT (Belen)
**Updated for Audio**
Once again Scott R. Smith does a good job with the narration. This whole series has simply been a pleasure to listen to.

**~~**~~**~~**~~**~~**

3.5 Stars

When Troy Callahan accepts the head coach position for the Ravens he knows he's starting with a team that's been broken down by the previous bastard of a coach and has one of the worst reputations in the league. To top off trying to build his team's morale, he's not exactly ecstatic about being helped by an assistant coach who
Nat ReadingAllNite
I only read book 1 of this series but didn't continue and I am going to correct that immediately! What a fabulous and funny story this was. Not comedy, mind you, but brilliantly witty and filled with sharp dialogue. Troy Callahan is the new coach of the Asheville Ravens and Shane North, their newest player. Both characters are older men, which I appreciated immensely. They're both quite alpha, outspoken and blunt. They bicker and snark and then tear up the sheets! It's rough sex and dirty, dirty ...more
Trio
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-r2r, mm-romance
Coach's Challenge is the fifth book in the Scoring Chances series by Avon Gale. Although characters from previous books do make crossover appearances in each others’ stories, you can definitely read the stories out of order.

Coach Troy is kind of a curmudgeon, well a hot curmudgeon, and Gale uses every opportunity to make the most of his character. Troy has these adorable idiosyncrasies: his puzzle passion, his penchant for PDA, and his incredibly filthy mouth.

I will say that this series is fil
Adam
This series has quickly become a favorite of mine. The characters are well-rounded, the romances are sweet, the sex is hot, and the hockey is entertaining.

description

‘Coach’s Challenge’ is no different. Though Troy at first comes off as perpetually cranky, and Shane as a bit irresponsible, the two MCs are immediately likeable. There’s clearly more to them beneath the surface.

The setup of their relationship hooked me in from the start. Shane and Troy get on each other’s nerves, but neither is willing to adm
Dani
This series has become one of my favorites. I know I should’ve started it in order but I’m in love with what I’ve read so far. Coache’s Challenge is a feel-good and low-angst story. It’s a nice change after Empty Net that was way deeper.

This one had more sex than the 3rd and 4th book. It was good, steamy, bossy and rough. The characters weren’t so complex, so the story was pretty light in comparison to Max and Misha or Isaac and Laurent stories. Troy and Shane had -what may be considered- ‘norm
Kaje Harper
This entry in an excellent hockey romance series is lighter than the last couple, well-written and just fun. These two guys are coach and player, and they should keep their hands off each other, but each guy is something of a rebel, likely to do what they are specifically forbidden. The sparks fly from their first encounter, and with Coach Troy Callahan also having a bit of a public-sex kink, the fall is inevitable. Also hot and snarky and just entertaining to watch. The angst is low-key here, t ...more
Eugenia
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Revisited via audiobook but it didn’t live up to my original 5 star rating. I loved it but, I didn’t die for it. Great series, though !!! Why the hell doesn’t Scott R. Smith narrate more books? And why the hell isn’t another book coming? I want Xavier’s HEA!!
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

Look! Another hockey book from Avon Gale! I love this series so much, and Coach's Challenge was one of my most anticipated June 2017 releases. Well, I really, really liked it but I didn't love it as much as book #3 or #4.

First and foremost, I appreciated the "older" MCs in this book. Coach Troy Callahan is in his mid-forties while veteran player Shane North is in his mid-thirties. I need more characters in their forties lately, probably because it will make them more relevan
Cadiva
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I don't know how she does it but this ice hockey series is not only consistently brilliant, it keeps producing partnerships that I fall head over heels for.

First I was surprised when Isaac and Laurent took over from Max and Misha as my favourite pair but now Troy and Shane have stormed to the top of the leaderboard with their fabulously non conformist relationship.

Oh lord, the snark as these two fell for each other was delicious, the humour was totally on point and the sex was dynamite. The way
Amanda
I had been putting off reading this one for so long, so I'm glad I finally make the time. Troy and Shane might be one of the steamiest couple in the series albeit some readers claimed that all they did was fucking. Honestly, there are plenty of sex and they seems to have an affinity to do it in public places. I find them seriously hot and every encounter is far from lame. They both have such dirty mouth and they loves arguing and I live for their banter.

Troy is the new coach and such a hardass
Line
Very very low-angst-high-cozyness factor in this one. It was a nice edition to the 'Scoring Chances' series, and I liked that nothing crazy or over-the-top-drama took place.
Rachel
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow but pretty much everything I could have asked for and more 😁
Elsbeth

I'm so disappointed. I loved this series until this one. And I love dirty talk, banter and asshole men. But Troy and Shane... They were stupid. It really was just about the fucking..

description''
Alisa

This was a really fun and entertaining read. It was a lighter installment than the last two books in the series and it was nice to get back to the easy flow of the first books. Troy and Shane are a bit older and their relationship is different in that it's a coach/player dynamic. Fortunately the way it was done didn't leave any creepy power imbalance vibes. Shane was older and close to retiring so he seemed like an equal to Troy. They were both also snarky and funny and I think I laughe
~Kristin~
~4 Stars~

I absolutely love this series!!
Mandi Schreiner
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, contemporary
This is the first time I have read this author - I didn't know I was missing out on a m/m hockey series! What I liked about this book is that it takes place in the minor league of the NHL. The author includes a note at the beginning, briefly explaining the minor league system for the NHL and I appreciated that. I enjoyed seeing a minor league team and the struggles some of them face.

That all being said, it took me a bit to get into this one. I kind of felt like the dialogue was forced or just di
Annie
4.5 stars- Hockey, humor, and HEAT

Coach's Challenge was a fun book that had me alternately laughing out loud and blushing furiously thanks to Coach Troy's dirty talk and the steamy scenes. This is the fifth standalone of the series, but the first with the Asheville Ravens and it's easy to read these out of order without it affecting the reader's enjoyment.

Troy and Shane were fantastic. I liked their grumpy mutterings and interactions with each other and the secondary characters. They fit togethe
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Reading the Signs
  • Home and Away
  • Winging It
  • Changing Lines (Harrisburg Railers, #1)
  • Out in the Field
  • Summer Lessons (Winter Ball, #2)
  • Full Strength (Point Shot, #3)
  • Punch-Drunk Love
  • Trick Play (Fake Boyfriend, #2)
  • Double Up (Lake Lovelace, #1)
  • Changing on the Fly: A Hockey Charity Anthology
  • Down by Contact (The Barons, #2)
  • The Blueprint (Rules of Possession, #1)
  • Play On (Glasgow Lads, #0.5)
  • False Start (Eastshore Tigers, #2)
  • The Unforgiving Minute
  • Ten in the Bin
  • How To Quit Playing Hockey
Avon Gale lives in a liberal Midwestern college town, where she spends her days getting heavily invested in everything from craft projects to video games. She likes road trips by car, rock concerts, thunderstorms, IPAs, Kentucky bourbon and tattoos. As a queer author, Avon is committed to providing happy endings for all and loves to tell stories that focus on found families, strong and open commun ...more

Scoring Chances (5 books)
  • Breakaway (Scoring Chances, #1)
  • Save of the Game (Scoring Chances, #2)
  • Power Play (Scoring Chances, #3)
  • Empty Net (Scoring Chances, #4)
“It was worth a few glares from the coach, and Shane was sure Troy could make him pay for it. It might involve skating laps, but what the hell. It could also involve Troy smacking Shane on the face with his dick, which would be totally fine with Shane.” 1 likes
“They sounded like a team of idiots, but in a good way.” 0 likes