Start by marking “Revolutionary Petunias” as Want to Read:
Revolutionary Petunias

Revolutionary Petunias

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  415 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
These poems are about revolutionaries and lovers-about how, both in revolution and in love, loss of trust and compassion robs us of hope. They are also about (and for) those few embattled souls who remain painfully committed to beauty and to love even while facing the firing squad. “Quick, direct, witty, pungent” (DeWitt Beall, Chicago Daily News).
Published March 21st 1973 by Mariner Books (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Revolutionary Petunias, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revolutionary Petunias

Heather Fineisen
Walker at her best. Pensive. Strong. Unapologetic. Spin the wheel of African American History and her words fit, timeless.

This edition has additional biographical information on Walker. I really like the Open Road ebook editions with the extras.

And thank the publisher for providing copy for review. Note I have a hard copy on my shelf but this is a great book to have in both formats, as it demands dipping into throughout a lifetime.
Dee's Reading Zone
Alice Walker's poems are magically simple. Some witty, some sad, while others just reflective of Walker's youth but all reminiscent of times lost but remembered!

"And for ourselves, the intrinsic
“Purpose” is to reach, and to remember,
and to declare our commitment to all
the living, without deceit, and without
fear, and without reservation. We do
what we can. And by doing it, we keep
ourselves trusting, which is to say,
vulnerable, and more than that,
what can anyone ask?"
Lauren
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful poetry collection.
Tristan
Jun 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
I read this in Her Blue Body Everything We Know: Earthling Poems 1965-1990 Complete.

This was not as good as Once, but it was a worthwhile read. Walker uses her time in the South and her activity in the Voter Registration campaign as a backdrop for this collection. She also draws on the early stages of her relationship with Melvyn Leventhal, whom she met at about the same time, and these two aspects combine into a focus on love and revolution and how they interact. The poems were heartfelt and ho
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

Reissued

(I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review).

This collection of poetry was first published in 1978 and these poems were written while Alice Walker was immersed in civil rights movement. In these poems you can feel the time and place of the speaker. There is passion behind the poetry that invokes feelings within you whether you know of the civil rights movement or just hear about it. There is love, hope, vision, anger, violence and a feeling of togetherness
Gia
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
so many good, deep and soulful poems. this is one of my favorites in this collection from Alice Walker.

He Said Come

Before the opportunity
Passes away.
Meen
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Meen by: I love Alice Walker!
Oh, how I adore Alice Walker:

The Girl Who Died #1

"Look!" she cried.
"I am not perfect
but still your sister.
Love me!"
But the mob beat her and kicked her
and shaved her head;
I love Alice Walker and this book did not disapoint!! Beautiful x
Maughn Gregory
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I love Alice Walker the poet, activist, essayist, novelist. These poems from the early 70s are fierce and beautiful and wise.
Mariana
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good early poems by a great poet.
Chris
I think I like her poetry better. There is a beauty and harshness to it that is quite nice.
Lizzie
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Alice Walker is a longtime favorite, but her poetry is often lost on me as I don't typically enjoy the medium at all. This one, I liked a lot. It was a good one to marinate.

"To acknowledge our ancestors means we are aware that we did not make ourselves [...] We remember them because it is an easy thing to forget: that we are not the first to suffer, rebel, fight, love and die."

Expect Nothing —
"Expect nothing. Live frugally.
On surprise.
Become a stranger
To need of pity
Or, if compassion be fre
Audrey
May 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Great poetry. Walker is amazing. This collection includes "Expect Nothing," my favorite poem ever.
SmarterLilac
Aug 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sweet, funny and memorable collection of poems about a Black female speaker's experiences with love and revolution.
Rachel
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
There are some poems for the ages in here. Some I have already forgotten, but several will stay with me for a long time.
Lisa M.
This was a very simple and straight forward poetry collection. Unlike other poetry collections I have read, this was a really quick read!

Overall I enjoyed this collection. One of my major complaints was about Walker's line breaks, capitalization, and punctuation. There were some poems were each line was a single word; and of course, each line had to be capitalized. There were some poems were there was absolutely no punctuation. The lack of punctuation isn't necessarily a bad thing if it has been
Melki
Apr 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pure-poetry
Criminy! National Poetry Month is almost over, and so far all I've read is two books of verse by and about dogs!

Leave it to Alice Walker to beautifully remedy that situation.

description

Without knowing a page
Of it
Them
Mike Jensen
Yes, I know that Walker is supposed to be some kind of freakin' genius, but if you don't like her poems, then you don't like her poems. One reason I don't is that she tends to describe feelings or an incident without giving the context to understand the feelings or the incident. This does not work for me, and her language is usually so pedestrian that she does not give another poetic aspect to like instead. This book is just not for me.
GONZA
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have not read "The Color Purple", but these poems by Alice Walker I liked a lot, short, direct and with a few words can make the atmosphere.

Non ho letto "Il colore viola", ma queste poesie di Alice Walker mi sono piaciute molto, brevi, dirette e con poche parole riescono a rendere l'atmosfera.

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND OPEN ROAD INTEGRATED MEDIA FOR THE PREVIEW!
Rianna Jade
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
"It does not impress me that I have
a mind.
Chance amuses me.
Coincidence makes me laugh
out loud.
Fate weighs me down
too heavy." Will, pg 60.

I read this on the tube today. It's sweet, I feel poetry is best read on public transport.
Phoebe
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I love short poems-of-power. Maybe you do, too?
Abbie K.
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great poetry, moving images. She creates wonderful images in a few well chosen words.
Shakira
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wonderful prose
Jessica
Nov 28, 2007 rated it it was ok
Her poetry is okay but I enjoy her prose better...
Rogene Carter
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Time and time again I am spellbound and mentally entrenched in this wisdom.
Aimee
Oct 22, 2010 added it
Outstanding poetry - I liked the poem "My mother's garden."
Linda
  • Eudora Welty
  • The Essential Gwendolyn Brooks
  • Like the Singing Coming off the Drums: Love Poems
  • June Jordan's Poetry for the People: A Revolutionary Blueprint
  • Valerie Solanas: The Defiant Life of the Woman Who Wrote SCUM (and Shot Andy Warhol)
  • A Life in Letters
  • Fox
  • Evidence: Poems
  • Ain't I a Woman! A Book of Women's Poetry from Around the World
  • The Promise of Rest
  • Alice Walker: A Life
  • Still Brave: The Evolution of Black Women's Studies
  • Hip Logic
Alice Walker, one of the United States’ preeminent writers, is an award-winning author of novels, stories, essays, and poetry. In 1983, Walker became the first African-American woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for fiction with her novel The Color Purple, which also won the National Book Award. Her other books include The Third Life of Grange Copeland, Meridian, The Temple of My Familiar, and Possessi ...more
More about Alice Walker...

“I have learned not to worry about love; but to honor its coming with all my heart.” 167 likes