Start by marking “Familiar Messes and other essays” as Want to Read:
Familiar Messes and other essays

Familiar Messes and other essays

“I found solace in nothing. Because everything was temporary. And days flew by like heavy cigarette smoke floating above the dancing heads in the city’s most notorious club, like speech bubbles written in a language you cannot understand, like a dragon’s breath you keep chasing, like pills that move from your hand to your red lips.”

Gratiagusti Chananya Rompas’ personal ess
Published December 2017 by Kepustakaan Populer Gramedia

To ask other readers questions about Familiar Messes and other essays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Familiar Messes and other essays

Start your review of Familiar Messes and other essays
Raafi
Jan 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Last year, I brought the book from Jakarta and intended to read for flight. I maybe read a half book or more and got distracted with other books so I didn't finish it yet. Until last Sunday when I went for mid-year retreat program and assured myself to read the book. Now, I officially finished it.

It's so Anya; with intuition about little things around her and made the words meaningful. However, I didn't understand all of her writing in this book. Some of them are too long and too complicated to
Qonita
3.5. i like her innocence and straightforwardness. her words speak to me.
Reffi Dhinar
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
As expected, the title is Familiar Mess, so even this book is thin, I can feel the author's sadness and gloomy mind so real. Until I read the page 'Afterword', she said that she has Bipolar, now I know why her stories are so complicated. I love how she can pack her riot mind into an honest essay or poem. Art is not only about pain, Art is also about irregular sentences. ...more
mid
Nov 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, fiction
3.4
actually i was about to give little less than 3. but later during the read i found the laughter and bitter of warm. it isn't a collection of happy stories. it is dark. but kinda... dark and someone holding your hand through it.
Afifah Widya
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Read with a hope: to rectify something.

It's another year and seems to be moving even further away, though. The farthest.
Alvina
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Help does not always come. And you still ask
Perdana
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
I like this book. So intimate, so blue, and yet so hopeful the way Plath’s “I am. I am. I am.”
Lisna Atmadiardjo
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Have you ever feel vunerable after reading a book? This book is so dark makes me cringe.
Rizqiyatul
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is just like a diary. Unusual stories written made me a bit confused. I really can feel how the author's feeling. Also, the book is small, so it just easy to carry everywhere. ...more
Sashi
This book is so raw it screams sombre and sorrow. Her writings are beautiful, but some of it feels like meant not to be understood by other than herself.
Bagas
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
ga tau kenapa tapi ketika baca ini suka sedih sendiri. really dark, but really quick read jadi ga keberatan.
Rusa Tak Berotak
Febriani
Sep 04, 2018

• I am My Own Home and other essays
  • Almond
  • The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down: Guidance on the Path to Mindfulness from a Spiritual Leader
  • Loving the Wounded Soul: Alasan dan Tujuan Depresi Hadir di Hidup Manusia
  • Quarter Life Crisis
  • Diary of a Murderer: And Other Stories
  • Semasa
  • Dora Bruder
  • Love for Imperfect Things: How to Accept Yourself in a World Striving for Perfection
  • The Art of Solitude: Apa yang Kita Pikirkan Ketika Kita Sendirian
Gratiagusti Chananya Rompas was born in Jakarta, 19 August 1979. She studied English Literature in Universitas Indonesia, Depok (2003) and received her masters in The Gothic Imagination from University of Stirling, Scotland (2005).

She is one of the founders of Komunitas BungaMatahari, a mailing list-based Indonesian poetry community that have embraced many poetry enthusiasts with its catchphrase “