Start by marking “The Day Before (Riverdale #1)” as Want to Read:
The Day Before (Riverdale #1)

The Day Before

(Riverdale #1)

Based on the massively successful CW show, Riverdale, this prequel novel explores what the gang was doing before Season One.

Why did Jughead and Archie have a falling out? What did Veronica's life look like in the Big Apple? And how long has Betty really been in love with Archie?

Told from multiple points of view, your favorite characters tell their story their way.
Published December 26th 2018 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Day Before, please sign up.
Natalie Malson I am not quite sure what exactly you are talking about, but if you have watched the TV series (you can find it on Netflix) you'll get a better…moreI am not quite sure what exactly you are talking about, but if you have watched the TV series (you can find it on Netflix) you'll get a better understanding of the book. The book is based on the show, but about what supposedly happened before all of the stuff on the show happened. (less)
Bailey Crawly I think it's geared toward the young adult audience. It's pretty well-catered to fans of the show to make a few extra dollars off them, so if you (or…moreI think it's geared toward the young adult audience. It's pretty well-catered to fans of the show to make a few extra dollars off them, so if you (or your kid, if you're inquiring for a child) watch the show, then I would recommend the book to you.(less)

Start your review of The Day Before (Riverdale #1)
Charlotte May
"The truth is, if you really want to understand Riverdale and what kind of place it is, I have to tell you about the shadows. The town beneath the town."

I love Riverdale!

When I found out this novelisation was available I ordered it from the library immediately, and I thoroughly enjoyed being back in Riverdale with all it's wonderful characters.
If you've watched the TV series, this book doesn't really offer anything new. It is set the day before the beginning of the series, so the day before
K.C. Wells
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Im a grown-ass woman, and I love Riverdale. There. I said it. ...more
Kerri
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Riverdale is a show I can't help liking, even though it's not the kind of thing I'm usually drawn to. It's over the top and endlessly dramatic, but for whatever reason, I enjoy it. I've fallen a little behind on it, but this novel has revived my interest, so I will be catching up on the rest of season 3 soon.

I was actually really impressed with this book. As the title suggests, it's set 'The Day Before' -- in this case, the day before the first episode (I'm hoping I have my timeline right!).
Robin Bonne
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
3.5. I am a fan of the tv show so I when I saw this audiobook, I decided to check it out. The audiobook narration was great, and the characters voices sounded a bit like their show characters.

The Veronica character was written very unlikable and spoilt in this book, which is why I couldnt rate it higher.
Hope (HopelessBookAddict)
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Made the whole series more clear and things fell into place.
Anna
Apr 26, 2019 rated it liked it
I started this book because the show is one of my favorites and I kinda liked the idea of reading about what happened on "the day before".
In the end I rated it with 3 stars: It was fun to read and I also really liked the features like texts or e-mails. I wouldnt read it again tho because it isnt really something new. Everything in this book was mentioned in the show before which is why I think that one time reading it is enough.
Id still recommend it to anyone who likes the show.
robbie p.
Sep 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
9/10/19 Edit:
MY BOOK TALK IS LIVE LADIES
9/7/19 Review
This book was ABSOLUTE trash. I understand that Riverdale is campy and ridiculous, but this book took it to another level. The timeline was confusing and the characters were honestly at their worst. The new characters added were literally for nothing and if this book is canon (which it probably isnt) it truly added NOTHING of value to the story.
Isabelle (the Book Dutchesses)
First off, this is a book written for the fans of the Riverdale tv show. There are some spoilers for the first season of the tv show and if you havent seen that one yet, I wouldnt recommend reading the book yet. It will take away some of the enjoyment of unraveling the mystery. But when you did see the show, its so much fun to see some of the events leading up to murder mystery.
As a fan off the show, I thought the main characters, Berry, Veronica, Jughead and Archie, felt like they did at the
Susan
I think if you've watched the first season of the TV show you can skip this. It is really just a rehashing of what we already know. Very little is new except for a bit about Betty's internship in California which is mildly entertaining and way too much about Veronica's life in New York. She is insufferable and so, so dull. Her sections were the absolute worst. Jughead sounded like Jughead which was a highlight and Archie sounded like Archie which as you can imagine was not a highlight. If you ...more
Ashley
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
The writing was decent enough. Not sure if the author really captured the essences of the characters, or if that was done for her by the show. Not much new information. I didn't expect there would be, as this is "the day before" and we're already deep into season 3. I'm a fan of books and comics that are extra and tie in to the original, but not if they're just rehashing things we already know.
Adriana
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I could easily get into this story thanks to the TV series and the flow of the story. All the characters felt like themselves the majority of time. I think Only Betty and Archie had a couple of moments towards the end that were written a little differently than expected. Overall, this was an easy and fun read.

Longer review to come.
Savanna
Mar 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
it was an ok book but I don't think I would recommend anyone this book. The writing starts off really slow and does not really pick up until the middle of the book and when it did it was still not the best I think it could be. What I would recommend though is the show I would give that five out of five stars.
Emily
Jun 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ryfo-2019
I love riverdale. This book was fine.
Shannon

Betty Cooper:
Veronica Lodge:
Parents, friends, supervisor and Popsi

The Story:

So maybe if Id read this closer to when Riverdale premiered Id be more into it but maybe not because almost nothing happens in this whole book. The climax was not exciting in anyway. I dont feel like I got to know the characters any better it was really just a month of
Holly
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was pretty excited about this book. I've been a massive fan of the Archie comics and Riverdale and I wanted insight into the events that happened before the show aired. So, of course I pre-ordered this when a friend tipped me off to it being published.

I'm not going to lie, I was majorly disappointed with it. The only parts I really liked were Betty's (we literally had no clue what she was up to in LA). Although I hated where Micol Ostow left off in her POV. And also, there was no clue or
Flavia
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Those of you who have been following my blog for a while will know that I dont watch a lot of TV shows. My main focus is books. So, when I end up talking about a TV show on this blog, it usually means that I am quite obsessed! And, well, that is definitely the case with Riverdale. (You can read all about my journey with the first season of the show in the link provided in the intro paragraph of this post.)

So, when I found out that a book that would be all about what the four main characters of
Michelle
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars - This was honestly so much better than I expected it to be; if you're a fan of the Riverdale TV series, you'll probably enjoy this!

While we get to read from all of our favorite character's POV's, my favorite ended up being Veronica's. Her portion of this book read like a much better written Gossip Girl book and really gave so much insight to her life back in NYC.

It was a bit weird that every story from the Riverdale Vol. 3 graphic novel was incorporated into this story somehow. To a
Veronica Foley
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
2.5, I would say. This was a fun and easy book but it didn't have anything that I thought made the story more interesting.
Callie
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was a little confusing, but overall a great book!
Julie (Bookish.Intoxication)
Feb 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Riverdale: The Day Before, is so easy to read. From the first page you are pulled into the world of some very different teens, all struggling to find their feet and themselves in an evolving world.

I love reading Betty's chapters. There is something about her that I resonate with, maybe its because she is a bookworm? Maybe it is because of her honestly and loyalty? All I know is that her chapters fly by faster than the others.

I love the complexities of the characters, the way that Lostow has
Ethan
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm a huge Riverdale fan.

When it first came out, I hadn't watched or read anything Archie comics-related in a long time - not since my childhood, when I was a watcher of Archie's Weird Mysteries. But as soon as I watched the first episode, I immediately knew I was going to love the show. I spent a couple days getting caught up on the episodes, then began watching it weekly and avidly.

So then, a couple years later, I was checking out a local bookstore to see if they had any of the Riverdale
Teresa
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I first came across this book at Target. The cover feels very bland to me, but it works with the trademark title of Riverdale--those standing, vibrant blue block letters that give a sense of intrigue and mystery.

The subtitle, "The Day Before" explains what to expect from this novel, especially for those who have seen the TV show. The novel takes place literally the day before the fateful gunshot is heard out in the woods, the day before Jason Blossom goes missing.

The book features the
Teresa Love
Nov 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I am obsessed with the Riverdale tv show. This is a show that I love every single thing about it and every twist and turn is so interesting.
🌎
This book follows the tv show. It has a ton of spoilers for season 1 if you havent seen it yet. I rated this book a ⭐⭐⭐.5 stars. This book was mundane, I found myself bored while the chapter was going and not really excited for the next pages. I went from physically reading it to listening to it and that actually helped because then I could hear their
Denise
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
I admit, I have been guilty-pleasure-watching Riverdale and probably need to get back to it one of these days. Being a prequel set on the day before the first season opens, this didn't really add anything new to the story and characters, but was an entertaining enough read.
Cece Cooper
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Dragonfly
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4 stars

I thought that this book was good but I didn't love it. My mum bought me this since she knows how much I love Riverdale so I was so excited to read this book and I wasn't too disappointed.

I loved how the story was told in multiple points of view, I thought that it really worked well with the book. I liked how each of the characters had there own storylines, Betty was in LA, Archie was with Ms Grundy, Jughead was working at the Twilight and Veronica was living in Manhattan. I
Blue
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Did I need to buy this book? Nope
Should I have read this book? Mehh
Was it all that I wanted? Nopeeee

Okay so I do enjoy Riverdale, I do love some dark teen drama and lets face it if you dont like Jughead then we cant be friends.
But I am actually wondering I got soo excited when I saw this and had to read it straight away!
Lets face it is the day before the first episode and you kind of want to know what it is like and how everything got built up but at the same time I could have purchased at least
Carissa Galvan
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is based on the show called Riverdale. My mind was drawn to read this book it talk about all the things that went on before July 4, which is when Jason blossom went missing,. Only to soon discover that he was shot dead and they had found him in sweet water river. This show/book is based on the Archie comics. This book talks about everything that had happened from the character diary and such. It talks about Archie having an affair with his music teacher, Ms. Grundy. It also talks about ...more
Ashley
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tv-tie-in
I love Riverdale so of course when I saw this book at Barnes and Noble I had to buy it and I wish I could say I love it as much as I loved the show but really I didn't.

It's nothing to do with the fact that it's set the day before Jason goes missing and a lot of the stuff was revealed in the first season because it was nice getting glimpses of the characters before the start of the show.

My main issues were that the characters seemed off and not like they are on the show. The only character who
Amelie
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, however I didn't give it 5 stars due to it not being written clearly in some parts. But on the bright side I could not put this down it was amazing.
Would not recommend for anyone who hasn't watched the first two Netflix series
I also found the part about Veronica and Betty interesting, and I felt very sorry for jughead.

• Riverdale Student Handbook
  • Riverdale Vol. 2
  • Riverdale Vol. 1
  • Season of the Witch (The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, #1)
  • Riverdale Vol. 3
  • Five Feet Apart
  • Daughter of Chaos (The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, #2)
  • Runaway Max (Stranger Things, #3)
  • Trinkets
  • Someone New (Someone #1)
  • Blossoms: 666
  • Suspicious Minds (Stranger Things Novels #1)
  • L'Arrache-mots
  • Two Can Keep a Secret
  • Road to Riverdale Vol. 1
  • Kako voli Frenk Li
  • Ashes falling for the Sky
  • Darkness on the Edge of Town (Stranger Things, #2)
Micol Ostow has been writing professionally since 2004, and in that time has written and/or ghostwritten over 40 published works for young readers. She started her reign of terror with Egmont with her novel FAMILY, which Elizabeth Burns named a favorite of 2012 on her School Library Journal-syndicated blog, A Chair, a Fireplace, a Tea Cozy. Micol's graphic novel, SO PUNK ROCK (and Other Ways to ...more

Riverdale (4 books)
  • Get Out of Town (Riverdale #2)
  • The Maple Murders (Riverdale, #3)
  • Death of a Cheerleader (Riverdale, #4)