Start by marking “The Day the Music Died: The Last Tour of Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper, and Ritchie Valens” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
The story of the last tour of Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper, and Richie Valens-and the fatal air crash that took their lives. Drawing on new documentary information, the author recreates the often grueling conditions of an early rock and roll tour, and provides new facts about "the day the music died." With 50 photos.
Published September 1st 2003 by Schirmer Trade Books (first published October 27th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Day the Music Died, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day the Music Died

Chris Walker
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've read several Holly bio's but this was the first book that I have read that gave equal representation to J.P Richardson, Richie Valens and Roger Peterson. I felt like I was given the opportunity to get to know a little bit about each one of them. Lots of photos, as well. The author details the tour stop-by-stop, and really gives you a better perspective of what that short, fateful tour really was like for the performers and spectators.
Pete daPixie
Sep 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: poptastic
I'm not sure if it's possible to cram more facts and incidental detail in a book of this kind. Larry Lehmer's 1997 publication of 'The Day the Music Died' contains a vast amount of research with anecdotal testimony centred on the 'Winter Dance Party Tour' of Jan/Feb 1959, the last tour for Buddy Holly, J.D. Richardson (the Big Bopper) and Ritchie Valens.
The author has most certainly left no turn un-stoned. He includes concise biographies of all the artists on the tour, both prior and post '59. N
Duane
Oct 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a excellent resource for anyone who is interested in the last times of three great performers. The author has done superb research into the smallest details of the last days of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and the Big Bopper. Amazing photos are included! A great read for anyone interested in the subject.
Gretchen
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up to read more about the plane crash that killed J.P. Richardson (the Big Bopper), Ritchie Valens and Buddy Holly. I'll admit that I'm not a huge fan of late 50's rock and roll, but the stories behind the success of each of these young performers and the history of the ill-fated Winter Dance Party Tour in 1959 were very interesting. These performers were my parents' generation music and as a child, I heard my parents talk about the music and the history of rock and roll quite ...more
Erin S.
Nov 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book contains everything that you ever wanted to know about the life and death of Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper, and Ritchie Valens.
Andy
Jan 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Comprehensive look at some of the early founding members of Rock and roll. Dwells on their last tour and the plane crash statistics too much, but otherwise very educational.
James
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In depth look at the fateful tour and times.
Jim Noyes
informative, straightforward. the recap, last 50 pages, not necessary.
Tegan