Start by marking “The Future is Female! Women's Science Fiction Stories from the Pulp Era to the New Wave” as Want to Read:

Space-opera heroines, gender-bending aliens, post-apocalyptic pregnancies, changeling children, interplanetary battles of the sexes, and much more: a groundbreaking new collection of classic American science fiction by women from the 1920s to the 1960s

Warning: the visionary women writers in this landmark anthology may permanently alter perceptions of American science ficti
Published September 25th 2018 by Library of America

Kurt Reichenbaugh
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
I really loved this book. I was familiar with a few of the well known writers in this collection but most were new to me. Favorite stories from it include "The Miracle of the Lily" from 1928 by Clare Winger Harris, "The Tunnel Ahead" from 1961 by Alice Glaser, "Space Episode" from 1941 by Leslie Perri. I plan on hunting down other works by some of these writers. The last story in the collection is from 1969, "Nine Lives" by Ursula K. Le Guin. The later stories are more in the style of "New Wave" ...more
Joe Crowe
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
You need this book. Right now. I don't say that about everything I like, but I'm saying it now about this.

This book contains 25 stories from Hall of Fame-level female SF authors such as Ursula K. Le Guin, James Tiptree Jr., and Marion Zimmer Bradley to people whose names you might be unfamiliar with.

Editor Lisa Yaszek includes a terrific foreword that talks about the history of women in science fiction. The TL;DR of it is that women were foundational to the beginning of the genre and to its ri
the gift
021118: of the 25 classic stories i had previously read 11. so i read them again. some authors familiar if not stories, mini bios at end, good range of 20th Century sf, as any collection some great, some less. dates mostly golden age, most recent 69. great evidence key texts of sf are often short stories. read great stories never seen before: 'Contagion', 'Inhabited Men', 'All the Colors of the Rainbow', 'Nine Lives'... no critical text, only general intro, but if you know some history the dates ...more
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthologies, sf
This is a great anthology, not just for the stories, but for the thoughtful foreword and the lengthy biographies of the writers included. There's a good mix of the oft-anthologized and rarer pieces, and of known and obscure authors. Some of the stories didn't age as well as others, but they are still interesting artifacts.
Peter Tillman
Feb 10, 2019 marked it as to-read
Stories online at LoA: [I'll add more if I come across them]
● "Baby, You Were Great" by Kate Wilhelm: http://storyoftheweek.loa.org/2018/10...
● "PELT" by Carol Emshwiller: http://storyoftheweek.loa.org/2019/02...
Both of these LoA reprints include biographical sketches, original artwork and story notes. Are those in the book, too?

Book Editor's comments, which are.... interesting. She's a Professor of Science Fiction at Georgia Tech! Who knew? https://loa.org/news-and-views/1439-l...
Check out the
Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Lisa Yaszek, who along with Patrick B. Sharp previously co-edited the notable Sisters of Tomorrow: The First Women of Science Fiction, here brings us a very special and even more useful reprint anthology, whose impressive and wide-ranging contents--the first story was published in 1928, the last in 1969--more than amply prove Yaszek's introductory contention that "women who dream about new and better futures . . . have always been with us." Yes they have, and The Future is Female! offers eloquen ...more
Angela
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sff, short-stories
This was a solid collection and well worth the read for anyone interested in female or classic SFF. I was hoping for something as phenomenal as Sisters of the Revolution edited by the Vandermeers and it wasn't quite so engaging as that but I really enjoyed this.

Some of my favorite stories:

Only a Mother
The Tunnel Ahead
Contagion
In Hiding
Created He Them

And there were others I liked well enough but those were equally weighed with stories I didn't think much of. This is set on chronological order by
Adam Gurri
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an astonishing collection. There's something for every sort of speculative fiction fan: classic far future battles with insects, space opera, weird fiction, post-apocalyptic, and didactic fiction galore covering issues from race to gender roles and gender identity. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Rana
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was the worst collection of short stories ever.

And by worst, I mean the best and I loved them but jesus it was so fucking depressing to read short stories written basically (don't make me do math) a half-century ago or more that are so fucking current with race and gender issues. God, humans are such terrible creatures.
Sandra Kinzer
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fantastic! All super interesting stories, which I enjoyed more than I thought I would. I'm not a huge reader of anthologies, just because the stories are done so fast, after I went to all that work to visualize the world in my mind! But I did enjoy this anthology.

The stories that stick out in my mind the most are Pelt, The Barbarian, and Nine Lives.

Quotes:
"But you recall who it was said that the capacity for wonder at matters of common acceptance occurs in the superior mind?" -James Tiptree J
David Agranoff
This is yet another case of a project I read/reviewed after hearing it featured on Geek's Guide to the Galaxy. First and foremost the editor Lisa Yaszek being a scholar of Science Fiction had me interested in having her as a guest on Dickheads to talk about the history of the genre. Second I knew I wanted to read this book.

The concept is simple starting with Claire Winger Harris and a story called 'The Miracle of the Lilly' and ending with A Ursala K Leguin Story Called 'Nine Lives'. That takes
Ginny Machiela
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The last three anthologies about women's speculative fiction that I read weren't what I was hoping, but I really liked the stories in this collection. In fact, I enjoyed every single one! It's a great compilation of female voices from an iconic decade of scifi. The evolution of the stories over that time is cool to see, too.

I was inspired to buy a copy for our local library and hopefully inspire a new generation of women to reach for the stars. I do wish there was more of an emphasis on women o
Callibso
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Die angesehene »Library of America« (LoA) veröffentlicht hin und wieder auch Science-Fiction Texte. So gibt es etliche Romane von Philip K. Dick als LoA-Ausgabe und auch zwei schöne Bände mit sämtlichen Hainish Romanen und Erzählungen von Ursula K. Le Guin. Dazu kommen noch zwei Bände mit insgesamt neun klassischen SF-Romanen aus den 50er Jahren.
Das vorliegende Buch ist eine Sammlung von 25 klassischen Science-Fiction Geschichten von Autorinnen »from Pulp Pioneers to Ursula K. Le Guin«: Durch di
Joseph Carrabis
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Future is Female! Is a definite read for historians of writing form, technique, method, and voice. Forget that it's science fiction, forget that it's all women authors; the transition from Clare Winger Harris's "The Miracle of the Lily" (1928) to Katherine Maclean's "Contagion" (1950) is worth the price of admission. The first three offerings (by Harris, Leslie F. Stone, and C.L. Moore) are definitely of their time and - in certain passages - read more like adolescent offerings than mature w ...more
Jasen
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Top notch collection of diverse stories from late 20’s to late 60’s by wonderful female sci-fi authors. So much to love here, but some of my favorites include “The Miracle of the Lily,” “The Black God’s Kiss,” “In Hiding,” “Ararat, “All Cars Are Grey,” “M. Sakrison’s Halt,” “All the Colors of the Rainbow,” “The Tunnel Ahead,” “Another Rib,” “When I Was Miss Dow,” and “Nine Lives.” Some quotes:

“...but who and when and how she could not even guess. As to the beings who made the shaft, in long-forg
Ketan Shah
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A good collection of early science fiction stories by women. Some of the more gimmicky stories haven't aged well but the following were standouts to me.

WILMAR H. SHIRAS In Hiding (1948)
This became part of a fix up novel called Children of the Atom (no relation to the X-Men)

ZENNA HENDERSON Ararat (1952)
One of Henderson's People stories

LEIGH BRACKETT All the Colors of the Rainbow (1957)
A searing look at race relations in America

JOHN JAY WELLS & MARION ZIMMER BRADLEY Another Rib (1963)
An early
Bethany
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly, I'm not well-versed in classic sci-fi tropes because I'm just getting back into the genre, but I can still tell that this collection must have broken a lot of conventions just based on how many of the stories had women who took care of things for themselves or men failing due to their own shortcomings.

Either way, even though I occasionally have trouble immersing myself in short story collections, I really enjoyed this. It is exciting to see what problems people of fifty years to a h
Jessica
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nyu
Outstanding selection of classic SF from some outstanding women, most of whom I'm glad to finally know their names AND life stories, thanks to the really amazing Bib Notes included at the end! I would've liked different volumes of this book so they could have included more from each sub-genre of SF; fair warning, this book is mostly space adventurers, dystopian suburbs, and alien stories.

Also, go ahead and splurge on the hardcover cause not only is the dust jacket with Jean Shrimpton super cool,
Kara
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, pulp

A very mixed bag - some were amazing, some were terrible, some just so-so, and they were all over the place in gene, tone and topic. This anthology could have benefited from the stories chosen being linked together tighter thematically.

Still, hilarious to read one of the very first Mpreg stories (not it! all the men screamed) and I loved the Venus invasion story in which all sides get a taste of their own prejudice.
Marti Dolata
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: anthology, fantasy, sf
Please look at the contents list. If you haven't read any of the stories, then definitely read this book. My tepid response is probably due to the fact I've been reading SF since the 60s, and I love short story collections, so I had already read all the best stories long and often ago. What was new to me was interesting more from a historical viewpoint than emotionally. YMMV. If you like this anthology, then you will love K Rusch's anthology of female writers.
Lauren
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, favorites, women
I loved this collection so much. It's not easy to find collections of women's science fiction, especially from this time period, but fortunately the call was answered by Yaszek. The stories included in this book range from 1928 to 1969, and it's fascinating to see the tonal shifts in response to historical events.
Kathryn
The Tiptree and Le Guin stories alone (somehow I'd never read either) made this collection worthwhile, but I'd have loved more context about where the stories were first published, and having the author bios with the stories rather than at the end would have been helpful. But why no Octavia Butler in a collection of pioneering women SF writers? More diversity, please!
Kate (Looking Glass Reads)
Anthologies can be tricky beasts. Even in themed anthologies, authors and their stories can be very varied, sometimes wildly so. The Future is Female! 25 Classic Science Fiction Stories By Women, From Pulp Pioneers to Ursula K. Le Guin is an anthology from editor Lisa Yaszek that defies all expectations. Each story is better than the one preceding it. Each one is memorable, lingering in the back of your mind long after moving on to the next tale. Each one is the sort of story that could be point ...more
Lashawn
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stories in this collection were remarkable, brilliant, and even mind-blowing as I read them from a contemporary lens. To read more, visit my review at Lightspeed Magazine.
Megan
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic collection of short science fiction. I ended up seeking out more work from several of the authors included. Bonus: It's a *beautiful* looking book, bound in silver fabric, printed on good quality paper. Looks great on a bookshelf!
Doug Murphy
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
An uneven and eclectic collection of stories
Alyssa
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Some really good stories, a few bad. Worth reading just for the exposure to early women sci-fi authors, I would definitely read another collection.
Dave
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a good collection of stories, ordering them by when they were written really shows the changes in story telling and society.
Maheswaran
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Recommended for all those who enjoy science fiction.

« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Women of Wonder, the Classic Years: Science Fiction by Women from the 1940s to the 1970s
  • The Apex Book of World SF 2 (Apex Book of World SF #2)
  • The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction: Sixtieth Anniversary Anthology
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume II B (The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, #2B)
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume III: The Nebula Winners
  • Dreaming Again: Thirty-five New Stories Celebrating the Wild Side of Australian Fiction
  • Seeds of Change
  • Daughters of Earth: Feminist Science Fiction in the Twentieth Century
  • The Wesleyan Anthology of Science Fiction
  • Magical Realist Fiction: An Anthology
  • Year's Best SF 16
  • Fairy Tales for the Disillusioned: Enchanted Stories from the French Decadent Tradition