Start by marking “Vertrauen und Verrat (Kampf um Demora, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vertrauen und Verrat (Kampf um Demora, #1)

Vertrauen und Verrat

(The Traitor's Circle #1)

Mit einem Mann verheiratet zu werden, den sie noch nie getroffen hat: für Sage der absolute Albtraum, doch Tradition im Reich Demora. Um dem zu entgehen, beginnt Sage eine Lehre bei einer Kupplerin und begleitet zehn junge Damen aus adeligen Familien zum großen Verkupplungsball. Ihre Aufgabe ist es, die Bräute – und die Soldaten, die auf der Reise für ihre Sicherheit sorge ...more
Published March 21st 2018 by Carlsen (first published May 9th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Vertrauen und Verrat, please sign up.
Erin Hi Vicky! Thanks for dropping by. This book was sold as a singleton with hopes the publisher would be open to sequels, and it will now be the first of…moreHi Vicky! Thanks for dropping by. This book was sold as a singleton with hopes the publisher would be open to sequels, and it will now be the first of a trilogy called "The Traitor's Circle." Each will be able to stand on its own fairly well, though.(less)
Erin The trilogy is continuous, with the same characters/world, plus some new faces, but the POVs are limited to Sage and her love interest (no spoilers)…moreThe trilogy is continuous, with the same characters/world, plus some new faces, but the POVs are limited to Sage and her love interest (no spoilers) and a third POV that you meet in the first book.(less)

Joshee Kun (조수아)
I enjoyed this book more the second time around because I was able to anticipate and appreciate the major plot twist. However, my thoughts and rating remain the same.

My written interview with the author can be found here.

The phrasing annoyed Sage. As long as she was pretty and in a good mood, her husband would love her? People needed love most when they weren't at their best.

You might be wondering why in the world did I give this book 4 stars. After all, many people have given it 1 star because
Aila
The Traitor's Kiss was overall extremely disappointing and discouraging. My journey from learning of this book to finishing it has been a tumultuous one, but one that nevertheless left me wishing I hadn't wasted time in it from the first place.

This book was first brought to my attention in being a Mulan retelling, which made me extremely excited. Mulan is one of my favorite Disney princesses - or, er, generals - and also celebrates my own culture. Although it uses minor elements in terms of plo
Fables&Wren
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WrensReads Review:

So before I review a book, I read some reviews of the people that I follow to see the points that people have on the book and see where my views are in comparison. With that being said, apparently there is a lot of hate for this book because it is anti-feminism and encourages girls to hate on girls?

That’s absolutely silly. It’s like people are looking for reasons to hate a book these days.

You are correct in saying that some of the girls Sage (our heroine) was trying to match
Candace Robinson
So, I actually listened to the audio the second time around and found myself loving the book. Maybe because it actually read better because I knew the “stuff” beforehand. The first round I still guessed what was happening pretty early on and just couldn’t get into a lot of it, but sometimes books at a a certain time in my life just don’t fit, but today it did.

Now, not sure why people keep saying Mulan because I have never seen anywhere that this was a Mulan retelling. It definitely reads more li
may ❀
I am very much surprised (in a good way) how this book turned out for me

- So there’s a few things we need to understand right from the start
- This is a book on espionage and spying and politics
- And I know it got a lot of flak for having problem*tic themes but tbh, in my professional opinion, I didn’t find anything inherently problem*tic…so there won’t be much discussion on that in this review
- What this book DID have was lots of strange but enjoyable things
- Let’s start with the writing
- The w
Laurie
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m going to just come right out and be a complete fangirl – this book has one of the sexiest (yet not graphic) scenes EVER written for YA (or…for any genre, for that matter). Fiery Sage and soldier Ash have some serious leap-off-the-page blazing chemistry (which is often attempted in books, and rarely achieved). Author Beaty is able to pull this off, I think, because these characters are so well-drawn and their dialogue is filled with crackling tension (fans of Pride & Prejudice will LOVE t ...more
Attack Salmon
May 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Buddy read with My Awesome Rant Buddy

I couldn't write a coherent review on this considering I have spaced out on this more than I can count. The writing is good and the story could be better but the pacing is TERRIBLE.

352 pages and Erin Beaty makes it feels like 1000 pages so good job on her part.

The world building is not good at all. I have many questions like What does the Concordium does? Why is it absolutely important for girls to be matchmake? And why does the dowry from the girls go to Duk
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Omg I'm so happy this is a series! And no there wasn't a cliffhanger I just need more of this world! I am in love with Sage, Alex, Ash, and all the amazing characters! I normally don't love fantasies that don't have magic but I loved this! The world building was amazing and like I said the characters were fantastic! Book 2 now please!!!
Elise (TheBookishActress)
hey guys, newsflash: if you harass a reviewer, her one-sentence ten-likes prereview will get popular and this bullshit will happen! Nowhere did I rate this book one star or attack anyone for reading. So why, exactly, did this review get popular? Because a certain user chose to be racist - and yes, I do mean racist - and derogatory in the comments. This culminated in said user going through my twitter and harassing me and multiple friends about a completely unpolitical and irrelevant thread.

That
Aneta Bak
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, books-i-own
The Traitor's Kiss has a captivating story line, a fearless main character and enough action to keep you reading until the AM.

Yes, I know this book is getting a ton of backlash from many reviewers for offending POC (more about this later in my review). While I don't support this at all, taking colour out of the story, this book was actually really good. The main character is very relatable, and she's the type of independent and tough character that I absolutely love, the romance is ship-worthy a
Lala BooksandLala
Mar 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was really not good.
mith
i didn't have a review before but i did have a one line, err, reaction? i suppose to the book, that i have deleted. i've also gotten rid of my star rating.

this update, however, is because of something new that opened up my eyes to the book. i'm disappointed in myself for not having picked it up while reading and i'm so, so sorry for that. i hadn't realised the author had use the dark-skinned aggressor trope and i know that it's extremely harmful to many readers, and again, i want to apologise fo
Angie
Feb 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dissapointing
Originally posted in my blog!

Gah. I was over the moon after receiving an arc because I have heard such phenomenal reviews of this book. All 5 stars on Goodreads and a lot of big bloggers I look up to raved about it, so I thought it must be amazing! Oh boy was I in for a surprise. I honestly don’t even know where to begin. The first half of the book dragged on for waaaaay too long in my opinion and pulled a Kiss of Deception move that made me have to reread some chapters to understand what was h
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
The Traitor's Kiss was easily one of my most anticipated releases of 2017. Pitched as Jane Austen with an espionage twist, this book delivers just that and more. Fans of Jane Austen and "The Kiss of Deception" by Mary E. Pearson will likely enjoy this book too!

I'd like to start by addressing the fact that this book's early stages of branding were rocky... Comparing this book to Mulan in a pitch is a bold statement to make. Especially when this book is decidedly very different from Mulan. I see
Cait • A Page with a View
DNF at 20% so I'm leaving off a rating. Way too many elements just weren't working for me...
Sophia ☻
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New best series. Forget the Mortal Instruments and Twilight. This book is seriously sexy and badass.
Patry Fernandez
Reseña completa -> https://thewordsofbooks.blogspot.com/...

*AVISO* No es fantasía, no se porque lo venden como que si

Estoy entre 4,5 y 4,75 porque realmente me ha gustado muchísimo. Con unos personajes muy bien definidos, con carácter y que saben lo que quieren, valientes y decididos. Me ha gustado sobre todo la ambientación y la historia de amor, de esas que van poco a poco <3
Suzanne
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really found the characters in this book so amusing. This is an adorable book that has a good amount of adventure and romance. It was actually humorous to read because so many of the characters are lying and deceiving yet the basically quickly give themselves away or admit to their deceit. Until one big unrevealing in which you will be like whoa! It was a fun read and I am excited to continue this series.
Lona
May 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Was the “plot twist” supposed to be surprising??

You know when you have a bowl of cheerios in front of you and you are all excited until you take your first bite and realize it's not Honey Nut flavored like you expected, but that plain, cardboard tasting kind that only old people eat?? Yeah, well reading this book was like that.

The Traitor's Kiss had such a cool premise! I really liked the idea of our heroine, Sage, assisting the matchmaker by posing as a fake option for suitors to give them a f
Breeana Shields
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THE TRAITOR’S KISS is a beautiful book—high stakes adventure, sizzling romance, and characters that are so well-drawn they practically jump off the page. This is perfect for fans of Mary Pearson and Marie Rutkoski. I loved it and I can’t wait to read the next book in the series.
Ann Elise Monte
Mar 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nope
A whitewashed Mulan story that makes use of the dark-skinned aggressor trope and a whole lotta girl hate (see here and here)? No thanks.
ak
Nov 04, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I will not be reading this book because Erin has made it clear she does not care about POC.

WHITE MULAN RETELLING? I'd rather be dead.
Maggie ☘ (Reader-in-Wonderland)
This book was pretty entertaining and fast read, especially due to the short chapters, undemanding writing and easy to get into plotline. Although it's definitely not the most diverse or feminist book out there, it didn't have any glaring problems to it either. It was just slightly standerd-ish fun YA story, nothing more for me, nothing less.

I did like the characters for the most part, but I wasn't really connected them. They just seemed slightly run of the mill to me. And the romance was likea
Brittany (Brittany's Book Rambles)
Read my full review of The Traitor's Kiss + giveaway here!

Looking at the cover of The Traitor's Kiss, you're given a false sense of security. You're probably thinking this is a nice and innocent book. I mean, look at the pretty roses! Well, let me tell you . . . it's actually guilty of conspiracy, several counts of murder, and not to mention, my pain and suffering—in a good way!

description

In the first half of the story, you're made to believe that this is mostly an adorable, slow-burn romance. THEN, the s
Alyssa

Book One of the Traitor's trilogy
Publisher: Imprint (Macmillan)
Publication Date: May 9, 2017
Rating: 3 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

An obstinate girl who will not be married.
A soldier desperate to prove himself.
A kingdom on the brink of war.

With a sharp tongue and an unruly temper, Sage Fowler is not what they’d call a lady―which is perfectly fine with her. Deemed unfit for
Anya
Mar 18, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let me explain why I'm giving this a very hard pass:

The original Mulan story was so much more than just a girl going off to war to save her country and her father. It was about filial and fraternal piety too, because Mulan had a younger brother at home she wanted to protect. If he went off to war, it was very likely that family line would end with her father. So she went to bat for her family and saved her country. She didn't have a love interest the whole time and she was a kickass strategist a
~Bellegirl91~
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
NOTE: THIS IS NOT A MULAN RETELLING. I REPEAT, NOT A MULAN RETELLING. Besides, China wasn't the ONLY time and place they did matchmaking, so yeah. but still worth the read.

and one last thing: this was TRULY worth staying up past 3am and finishing it along withe the audiobook on overdrive and agh! I WANT MORE! and now I have a book hangover.... but on the bright side... 3 books finished in less than a week of each other!! shock!!

ONTO THE REVIEW:

description

I'm trying to stay awake at the moment haha BUT...
Minni Mouse
Entertaining. The lighthearted settings of Ever the Hunted and Ruined meets the light fantasy "spy and espionage" of The Kiss of Deception.

For people who claimed this was a Mulan and Pride and Prejudice retelling...I caught none of that. At all. 🙈

THE GOOD
The potential is here. There is medieval-style political scheming, secret identities, a strong and independent female character, multiple points of view to increase the suspense...

THE BAD
1) The maturity of the writing and story development
Wing-yee (bibliomeds)
First of all I want to establish that I have seen quite a few of mixed reviews about it, so I went ahead and read it without expecting too much (as I had high expectations in a few recent releases but they were disappointing smh.) BUT MAN I LOVE THE TRAITOR’S KISS! THANK YOU SO MUCH Erin Beaty FOR BLESSING ME WITH THIS BOOK AND FOR A GORGEOUS SIGNED COPY!!!! I finished this book in one sitting back in July (stayed up till 2am - it was so lit), and I have no regrets. In fact, I’m glad I did staye ...more
Elise
I don't even know what happened. The first 40% of this novel was amazing... Click for full review.
  • The Lumatere Chronicles (Lumatere Chronicles, #1-3)
  • When We Were Kings (The Wolf of Oberhame, #1)
  • By Dark Deeds (Blade and Rose, #2)
  • The Marigold Chain
  • Soulbound (Dark Arts, #3)
  • Lord of the Storm (Coalition Rebellion, #1)
  • At the Going Down of the Sun (Sheridans, #1)
  • The White Song (Chronicles of the Black Gate, #5)
  • The Sorcerer's Wife (The Telepath and the Sorcerer #2)
  • The Prince's Rogue (Golden Guard, #2)
  • The Fire Seer (Coalition Of Mages, #1)
  • The Autumn Fairy (The Autumn Fairy, #1)
  • Guardian Demon (The Guardians, #8)
  • Enemy's Queen (The Aermian Feuds, #3)
  • Touch of Iron (The Living Blade #1)
  • The Seven Realms Box Set
  • Libertine's Kiss (Rakes and Rogues of the Restoration, #1)
  • Krait's Redemption (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #5)
***Hello Readers! I just want to pop in here and explain that I do not accept friend requests on social media (Goodreads included) unless I know you in real life for several reasons, foremost being the nature of my husband's military job. I promise it isn't personal, and I appreciate everyone who wants to know more about me!***

Erin Beaty was born and raised in Indianapolis, Indiana, which means sh

The Traitor's Circle (3 books)
  • The Traitor's Ruin (The Traitor's Circle, #2)
  • The Traitor's Kingdom (The Traitor's Circle, #3)
“We each play several roles in life – that doesn’t make them all lies.” 11 likes
“I'd rather make a mistake than yield my destiny to someone else.” 6 likes