Start by marking “The New Toughness Training for Sports: Mental Emotional Physical Conditioning from 1 World's Premier Sports Psychologis” as Want to Read:

For nearly a quarter of a century, top sports psychologist James E. Loehr has been training world-class athletes, from Olympic gold medalist speed-skater Dan Jansen to tennis stars Monica Seles and Jim Courier His bestselling book, Mental Toughness Training for Sports, is a classic. In The New Toughness Training for Sports, he offers a toughness program that allows you to ...more
Published November 1st 1995 by Plume (first published November 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The New Toughness Training for Sports, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Toughness Training for Sports

Start your review of The New Toughness Training for Sports: Mental Emotional Physical Conditioning from 1 World's Premier Sports Psychologis
connor bond
Sep 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: athletes
This book is designed to help athletes get stronger mentally physically and emotionally. It goes into great detail about all the types of weakness and how to improve them. It also includes training exercises to mark your progress in all kinds of categories. The theme of the book is to improve all aspects of your game.This book is similar to most sports movies because the protagonist team always has to overcome the same physical emotional and mental hurtles that are talked about in this book. ...more
Jordan Shipman
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have this love hate relationship with sports psychology books.

On one hand--I'm an active brazillian jiujitsu competiutor in my thirties and I never competed or participated in sports in high school or college--it is good for me to read this stuff. My mental game is sorely lacking. I compete often so it is good for me to be feeding myself this material and constantly improving my mindset.

On the other hand, I get bored reading this stuff. There isn't really a story (except for anecdotes
Trenty Cents
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If I could give 10 stars I would. Best book, not just on toughness in sport, but life in general. Anyone looking to be more resillient in any area of their life (work, family, relasionships) should make this book their next book.
brett
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My uncle gave me this book in High school and it has been one of the most influential books to my life. Before this book I didn't think about playing sports I just did. For some reason I just connected with this book and have re-read, and recommended many times over the years. I've read countless sports books and this one will always be at the top for me.
Evan Bageris
I read it like 15 years ago so I don't really remember. But come to think of it, I am pretty tough. That doesn't look like it spelled right....tough. Ram Tough. It looks like though. Anyway, I don't know if it's because I read this book, but ask around, I'm pretty tough. I mean I've been training for it so......you know......for sports. Yeah, when it comes to sports I am definetly tough. I don't like to brag, but I've training for it, you know, for toughness.....in sports especially. So I guess ...more
Mandi Friedman
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was the first competitive book I've read, and I love it. I am not sure if it is because this book is truly amazing or if it is simply because I love competition, but this book was jampacked with wonderful insights! It helped me understand the whole picture of mental, physical, and emotional health. All three work together to perform a tough athlete who performs at their peak. If you are an athlete aiming to perform their best, read this book. It does not disappoint.
Carrie Foster
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book shaped me. I read it in high school as a tennis team assignment, but still find quotes come to mind from it when I'm in tough situations. It is all about being in control of your physical, mental, and emotional self so you can be in your ideal performance state, which we all want to be in at all times in everything we do. You don't need to read it cover to cover, but it's worth pulling some concepts out of.
Folkert Wierda
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Competitive sport is tough on the mind. So the mind requires as much toughening and training as the body. Loehr provides a no-nonsense walk-through on how the mind and body work in unison to competitive success, or how the mind can obstruct it. I get several clues from this book that I use in my daily training and in races. Nothing revolutionary, but common sense in a well organized fashion.
Sarah Bergmann
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
This author had some interesting ideas about how to compete at your top level more consistently. Some of the ideas were standard, some were new. The book was only 200 pages and probably didn't really need to be that long but was worth the read.
Sue
Aug 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was OK. So much of this was common sense but it had some good tid bits. My son was reading it. His coach recommended it.
Nickytort
Oct 29, 2010 rated it liked it
My dad read it and gave it to me to read.
Kristi Lambert deter
I preferred this book to The Mind Gym. Both are great, but this one resonated with me a little more. Every athlete should read both these books.
Cris
Jun 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The book is no longer new, but is still very timely and uselful. Love the concept applied to business and particularly a job search. Lots of great tips and motivators.
Clayton Summitt
Jan 17, 2015
Tyler Sale
May 13, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Japanese Skincare Revolution: How to Have the Most Beautiful Skin of Your Life--At Any Age
  • When You and Your Mother Can't Be Friends: Resolving the Most Complicated Relationship of Your Life
  • Audition Success
  • I Know How She Does It: How Successful Women Make the Most of Their Time
  • The Broken Mirror: Understanding and Treating Body Dysmorphic Disorder
  • Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life
  • 168 Hours: You Have More Time Than You Think
  • The Four Tendencies: The Indispensable Personality Profiles That Reveal How to Make Your Life Better (and Other People's Lives Better, Too)
  • Performance Success: Performing Your Best Under Pressure
  • Women  and Their Fathers: The Sexual  and Romantic Impact of the  First Man in Your Life
  • Choosing Raw: Making Raw Foods Part of the Way You Eat
  • D'Aulaires' Book of Greek Myths
  • Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo
  • In Search of Lost Time (6 Volumes)
  • Man Enough: Fathers, Sons and the Search for Masculinity
  • Shortest Way Home: One Mayor's Challenge and a Model for America's Future
  • The Beauty Detox Solution: Eat Your Way to Radiant Skin, Renewed Energy and the Body You've Always Wanted
  • Eat That Frog!: 21 Great Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time
Dr. Jim Loehr is a world-renowned performance psychologist and author of 16 books including his most recent, The Only Way to Win. He also co-authored the national bestseller The Power of Full Engagement.

Dr. Loehr’s ground-breaking, science-based energy management training system has achieved world-wide recognition and has been chronicled in leading national publications, including the Harvard