Start by marking “Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents” as Want to Read:
Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents

Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents

A treasured parent resource since its publication, Taking Charge of ADHD provides authoritative information on ADHD and its treatment. From internationally renowned ADHD expert Russell A. Barkley, the book empowers parents by arming them with the knowledge, expert guidance, and confidence they need. Included are:

*A step-by-step plan for behavior management that has helped
Paperback, Revised, 331 pages
Published September 2nd 2000 by The Guilford Press (first published November 3rd 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Taking Charge of ADHD, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking Charge of ADHD

Start your review of Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents
Michele
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I wish I had read this three years ago. This has become an invaluable resource for me in getting a gameplan together to manage my son's ADHD. I recommend this for anyone with a child who has trouble in the classroom. It doesn't touch on any learning disabilities, but gives plenty of arrows to point you in the right direction.
Jill
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hm. Don't know where to start on this one. Some chapters were certainly worth it. Others were very clinical and scary. Lots of statistics to make it Loud and Clear what kids and parents are up against. It was a good cautionary tale in some respects, validations about some of the things I'm already doing in other respects...and some good basic medical information. But, as a good friend reminded me recently, this isn't the book that is going to give me hope. This book will give me facts and ...more
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: This is probably more a rant about my son’s ADHD than a review. You’ve been warned.

Not too long ago, while reading a description of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, I was struck by its similarities to my child. Having been around for 100% of his fetal development, I know I ingested nothing worse than Ramen Noodles, but the similarities led me to the suspicion that my son’s more concerning behaviors and traits are related to some type of early brain damage. This took me down a rabbit hole
Kris Kipp
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book to be both informative and insightful. However, in my opinion, it also reads like a textbook and was at times a bit of a chore to get through.
Shel
I haven't read every page (yet) but this has been an invaluable resource in helping me understand the best way to parent my son.
Anne Jordan-Baker
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adhd
Best book that I've read on this topic. Recent science, excellent advice. One downside for me: less attention (ha!) to inattentive type than to hyperactive and combined types. Barkley is a blunt guy, calling the myths about ADHD "fallacies" and those holding them to be "scientifically illiterate." This is also the first book I've read that addresses the true seriousness of ADHD, that even the term ADHD (which he thinks should be changed) "trivializes the disorder, since it grossly understates ...more
Katie
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Although there are some good chapters in this book, I found that the author assumed all children with ADHD had oppositional defiance disorder (ODD) and a large portion of this book was dedicated to behavior modification and increasing compliance. This book sets out to educate parents about ADHD, but it seems a bit misinformed about all aspects of the disorder. I did appreciate the chapters on how the medications work, and all the options available.
Kyla
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't like that they stuck fast to commonly used medical terms, like "minimal brain dysfunction" and "ADHD" even though not all cases of ADD include Hyperactivity, however I was extremely grateful for the medical explanations of what causes the inattention and for the many tips on how to use positive reinforcement to encourage attention and proper behavior.
Summer B.
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the bible of ADHD resources. I appreciate how thorough it is, and how the author cites references and dates for every study, fact, or statistic. If you have a child with ADHD, this is a must read, must highlight, must memorize passages. There is a third edition out, and I highly recommend getting the most recent edition, as ADHD research is advancing all the time!
Amber
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fantastic ADHD resource. I'm definitely a fact-based/science person, and if there's a why behind anything I want to know it. Some may feel this reads a bit like a text book, which it does at times, but, the information is valuable. As a parent without ADHD raising a child with ADHD there is so much to understand about this disorder & the disorders that can come along with ADHD that I never understood or knew because it wasn't a part of my life. Dr. Barkley explains why we see undesirable ...more
Josie Mae
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
The first third of the book was pretty good: insightful, not too bogged down, explained multiple aspects well, information that is glossed over or not explained in other texts... then the book got really repetitive for a while. It picked back up a bit at the end in discussing the medications.

A bit of teacher bashing, a lot of ignorance about how to speak up or be an advocate for your child's education, as well as the realities of education in a public school - I would like a better book about
Bethany Zimp
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Russell Barkley is by far the most expert and well-researched source of ADHD that I have found (and I've searched for a lot). He presents the information in easily digestable information that is useful for parents, teachers, or kids. (His videos on Youtube are also excellent). I appreciate the continued quest to update text and re-publish current findings as the field is rapidly changing.

Read several chapter over again - 2019
Colleen
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely a complete guide to adhd. It has everything you could want to know plus lots more resources to continue the journey. I haven't yet implemented the behavior program he recommends, but have high hopes for it. I would definitely recommend this book for parents of kids with adhd. I found it so informative and helpful.
Devin
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book for any parents of a child with ADHD. Dr. Barkley does an amazing job explaining the most current research on ADHD and helping parents to critically analyze the research we're bombarded with. He really focuses on developing skills parents will need to successfully raise a child with ADHD and in helping us to understand what life for our kids will be like.
Deborah
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Invaluable context, mixed advice

This book was a lifeline. The framework for understanding ADHD has proven indispensable. I disagree with some of his suggestions for helping kids thrive, but it wasn’t difficult for me to tell between advice I’ll incorporate and advice I’ll ignore.
Faigy Liebermann
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is the bible of ADHD
Technical, yes, but also very clear.
It delves in great detail on the medical side of ADHD which is good if you are interested in that aspect.
However treating ADHD is about the pills and the skills aspect of ADHD.
So more life skills tips would be appreciated in the next edition.

Edna  Moore
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read the third edition of this book. Fantastic book for parents of ADHD kids. While I knew a lot of what was in this book, I learned a lot of new information. A must read for parents of newly diagnosed kids.
Beata
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Felt like 3 times longer than it needed to be, but perhaps that's because I don't have a lot of the problems that it covered. I didn't struggle in school or deal with criminal or drug behavior, so I just skipped those...
Deb
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some helpful information; much of it would have been more helpful years ago if we'd known what we were dealing with. At this point, a lot of it wasn't relevant, especially since it deals mainly with the impulsive type rather than the inattentive type.
karen
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Barkley is tops in his field of ADHE. This book is written very well for parents. His behavior plans are simple and carefully stated. Once set up the should be helpful. As a former Guidance Counselor for 25 years, Blakely’s philosophy and theories are are similar what I have used with my students
Bertantezcan
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Complete and through review of ADHD research
Heather
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with ADD or ADHD
so so great took tons of notes on ADHD and it is so helpful to read and gain knowledge
a keeper book to review in the future as well and refer other to it.
Andrew
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
research: skipped part 3 and some of part 2
Gene Carroccia
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dr. Barkley’s book is one of the standards in the ADHD field. Highly recommended!
Melanie
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great resource with lots of information and ideas. Purchased to have as a reference in the future.
Carrie Zinck
May 22, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An alarmist, negative look at ADHD, completely missing the gifts that it carries.
Rebecca
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Thoughtful and exhaustively detailed (seriously, this covers EVERYTHING, far more than you need) look at the causes, symptoms, and potential therapies for ADHD. A lot of good suggestions.
Karla
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoughtful and well researched. Lots to process and think about.
Quinn Modrak
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended, especially for parents of newly diagnosed kids but even as a refresher. Would recommend revisiting once a year as well.
Amanda
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-august
This is so dense with very useful information that it took me forever to read. I plan to purchase this book in the near future so I can mark it up.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Smart but Scattered: The Revolutionary "Executive Skills" Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential
  • Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood Through Adulthood
  • Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most out of Life with Attention Deficit Disorder
  • The Explosive Child
  • The ADHD Advantage: What You Thought Was a Diagnosis May Be Your Greatest Strength
  • The ADHD Effect on Marriage: Understand and Rebuild Your Relationship in Six Steps
  • Class: A Guide Through the American Status System
  • Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized
  • Raising Human Beings: Creating a Collaborative Partnership with Your Child
  • Driven to Distraction at Work: How to Focus and Be More Productive
  • Adult ADHD: How to Succeed as a Hunter in a Farmer’s World
  • The Survival Guide for Kids with ADHD
  • Focused Forward: Navigating the Storms of Adult ADHD
  • Mr. Nice Guy
  • The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss (Dahlia Moss Mysteries, #1)
  • We Are Indivisible: A Blueprint for Democracy After Trump
  • Time Siege (Time Salvager, #2)
  • Storm Breaking (Valdemar: Mage Storms, #3)
Russell A. Barkley (born 1949) is a clinical psychologist who is a clinical professor of psychiatry at the Medical University of South Carolina and an author of books on ADHD. Involved in research since 1973 and a licensed psychologist since 1977, he is an expert on attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and has devoted much of his scientific career to studying ADHD and related problems ...more
“Back in the 1990s, research that looked at how ADHD affected teenagers at work concluded that they did pretty much as well as other teenagers. Maybe, it seemed, the symptoms interfered mainly in educational settings and we didn’t need to worry so much about jobs. We now know that’s not true. As the last quote above attests, ADHD can hurt you even more at work than it has at school. The problem with those 15-year-old studies is that they failed to take into account the types of jobs adolescents usually hold: unskilled, part time, and temporary. Working at a local rec center, fast-food joint, or car wash doesn’t demand a lot of attention, thought, or persistence. Maybe ADHD really wouldn’t interfere much.” 0 likes
“What is not developing properly in your child is the capacity to shift from focusing on the here and now to focusing on what is likely to come next in life and the future more generally.” 0 likes