Start by marking “Bilal Cooks Daal” as Want to Read:
Bilal Cooks Daal

Bilal Cooks Daal

Six-year-old Bilal introduces his friends to his favorite dish—daal!—in this charming picture book that showcases the value of patience, teamwork, community, and sharing.

Six-year-old Bilal is excited to help his dad make his favorite food of all-time: daal! The slow-cooked lentil dish from South Asia requires lots of ingredients and a whole lot of waiting. Bilal wants to i
Published June 4th 2019 by Salaam Reads

Tova
Jul 16, 2018 marked it as 2019-releases  ·  review of another edition
HOW PRECIOUS IS THIS COVER? Too precious for words. I CANNOT wait to read about Bilal and his daal. I never thought I'd be putting a picture book on my most anticipated releases list, but here I am, doing that very thing. I would read anything Aisha Saeed writes, I do not care about the genre or age range.
Aisha Saeed
Jun 08, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Hey all-- I wanted to pop over here and share the inspiration for this book with all of you! When my middle son was two (he's 6 now), his teacher at his preschool asked the kids to share their favorite foods. He came home baffled because no one knew what daal was. I sent him to school the next day with daal for the kids to try and dry lentils as well for the kids to touch and feel. He was so proud and happy to share a part of his life with his classmates and from that this story was born. Over a ...more
Allie
This book rules. The text is about Bilal preparing daal for his family & friends, and about the patience required to make a long-cooking food. The illustrations are so lovely and there's a recipe in the back! My friend is always sending me snaps when she's cooking with her 3 year old, and patience is quite a challenge! I think they (and everyone) would love this story.
Maleeha Siddiqui
This book is so cute! I love that Bilal cooks daal with his dad and invites all of his friends over to help make and eat it. I'm Pakistani, so I know how long this dish takes to make. However, there's nothing better than a steaming plate of rice with freshly cooked daal. I really want some now! My daughter loves looking at the illustrations. I just might make daal with the recipe in the back with her :)

Shagufta
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations in this book are everything. I love this story.
Tracy
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adorable picture book about a boy named Bilal who, along with his father, shows a couple of neighborhood kids how to cook daal. Because daal takes quite awhile to cook, the friends have to find other things to do to pass the time. The illustrations are bright and fun, and Bilal is especially cute. This would be great to read in a classroom as it includes a recipe for daal, and the students could reenact the book by keeping busy/doing activities while it cooks in a slow cooker. Diverse cast of ch ...more
Gina McNiel
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After reading Amal Unbound to a group of 4th graders who hung on every word, I knew Aisha Saeed could make a masterpiece for any age group. Bilal Cooks Daal proves that she can relate to a younger generation by weaving in her story so many components of love, kindness, understanding and acceptance. We sometimes forget what it means to be a small child and what a big deal it is to have your friends accept you and your family just as you are and Aisha scores big with a story that is not only visua ...more
Lorie Barber
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the vibrant colors to the characters to the messages of culture and sharing, this book is a must-read. I’m grateful to have won a copy so I can do some sharing myself during #classroombookaday! Bilal and his friends are empathic, supportive, and try new things. Great models for our kids today! Additionally, I loved the backmatter that explains all of the varieties of daal, and even includes a recipe.
Barbra
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Six year old Bilal wants his friends to try his favourite dish, Daal. When they visit him and start to prepare it, they are not familiar with the spices and the smells and Bilal starts to worry the they won't like it. As it takes all day to cook the anticipation builds. Once they taste it they all agree it was worth waiting for. A recipe at the back for Chana Daal gives readers a chance to try it for themselves. A great book to talk about tradition, diversity and culture differences.
Kate Hastings
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: multicultural
Grades PreK-2. For students curious about what their classmates are eating-- daal is quite common in our cafeteria. The long process of making it and other dishes mean some families spend most of Sunday preparing meals for the week. This book models curiosity, empathy and openness as many different children help and wait to make the daal.
Krissy Neddo
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Really wanted to like this. Love the idea and was so excited to have something like this to read aloud to my primary classes, but it just felt forced to me. The illustrations are too cartoony and have a bit of Disney feel to them. This style does not appeal to me. Children may love it. Wish the the size of book was bigger for whole class read aloud.
Pam
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Bilal and his dad introduce his friends to daal. They all get to help make it and learn it takes a long time to cook. Bilal worries his friends may not like it. Everyone helps prepare the meal and they share together.
Excellent book to introduce a different culture. The recipe is included at the back of the book so families/classes could make this daal together.
Amanda
Oh my goodness, now I want to try daal! The pictures are very Disney-type adorable, and by the end of the book I was feeling impatient and frustrated and just hungry. The way that these kids managed to hold out and not demand snacks seemed a bit unrealistic but hey, the focus is on the daal and the making of the daal. Love that the recipe is included.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A very cute story about a boy who introduces his friends to his favorite food...daal. This would be a great story to read to lower elementary students about different family recipes. There is even a few facts and recipe instructions at the end of the story.
Desiree
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Bilal cooks Daal manages to both communicate Bilal's comfort and discomfort with sharing a family dish he loves. He wonders if his friends will like daal as much he does. I loved the idea of a community of friends coming together to learn about their friends culture and eat good food.
Amy
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
The whole book revolves around a boy and his father making daal and sharing it with friends who aren't familiar with the food. It is sweet in the sense that it explores how food binds and connects us across cultures and ethnicities but I'm not sure what age group would most appreciate this?
Shauna Yusko
Yes! So many uses for this one!

Also, now I’m off to make the recipe in the back.
Shimona Hirchberg
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Mmm sounds tasty
Abby
Jun 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Mmm, daal!
Mary Lee
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Bilal lives in an affluent neighborhood with lots of kids. One girl has a pool. There is a forest and stream within walking distance. Bilal's dad is the only visible parent, and he is the head chef. There is a recipe for daal in the back of the book.
Edward Sullivan
A fun story about food and community with an eager Bilal wanting to share his favorite dish with his neighborhood friends.
Tracie
While helping his dad prepare their favorite meal, 6-year-old Bilal introduces his friends to the delicious delights of daal and learns about patience and sharing.
Sammy Rebandt
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful story of friendship and culture.
Garren
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Used in read-aloud and it worked great for that.
Jessie Bond
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book made me hungry.
Danni Green
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this sweet book about an Indian child sharing his family's food tradition with his friends. It was so much fun to read, and it made me very hungry!!
Robin
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Pakistani food story! Daal is delish!
K
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
Beautiful and sweet book with international ideas.
Miss Sarah
Jul 22, 2019 rated it liked it
A young boy and his dad teach his friends how to make a traditional ethnic dish called daal. Liked the theme of patience. Preschool and up
Megan
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful story ... and so yummy! I totally want some daal now.