Start by marking “The Queen's Gambit (Rogue Queen, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Queen's Gambit (Rogue Queen, #1)

The Queen's Gambit

(Rogue Queen #1)

When the Quint Confederacy and the Kos Empire went to war—again—young Queen Samara wisely kept her Rogue Coalition out of the conflict. But staying neutral in a galactic war doesn’t pay the bills, not when both sides refuse to trade with neutral sectors.

With her people on the brink of starvation, Samara hatches a daring plan to snatch the kidnapped Kos Emperor from the Qui
ebook, Serial novella, 159 pages
Published November 20th 2017 by NYLA

To ask other readers questions about The Queen's Gambit, please sign up.
Rachel It's available for pre-order now. I think the release date is July 9, 2019. …moreIt's available for pre-order now. I think the release date is July 9, 2019. (less)

Start your review of The Queen's Gambit (Rogue Queen, #1)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Original rating (serial): 3.73896 stars.
New rating (book version): 2.96864 3 stars.

Okay. Until I read The Queen’s Gambit, my experience of online serials had been limited to the somewhat slightly awesome Innkeeper Chronicles. So when I read The Queen’s Gambit after its official release, I thought that one of these most unfortunate accidents must have happened:

a) I was drunk as a high-strung puffer fish when I read the online version.
b) I was drunk as a high-strung puffer fish when I read the fin
1st read - March 2018
2nd read - August 2018
3rd read - December 2020

I first read The Queen’s Gambit when it was available on Jessie Mihalik’s blog as a free online serial and I enjoyed it enough that I purchased the final, edited version when it went on sale. The story was officially edited and expanded upon before official publication and I enjoyed the story as much, if not more, the second time around.

Samara is a great character, she’s the queen of a ragtag group of refugees and rebels who are
Mimi
Feb 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
This novella is fine for a short, self-published sci-fi romance that's light on the romance and heavy on the shooting; it's just not for me. A bit like a direct-to-video version of Star Wars, which could be fun when you're in the mood for it. The prose, however, is too clunky and awkward in too many places for me, and the ending felt too abrupt. Also, I don't get the whole kings and queens in outer space either.

But the biggest hurdle for me was the awkwardness. There were too many times during
Lover of Romance
Jan 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance

The Queen's Gambit is the first book of this author's debut series. And as I fell in love with her Consortium Rebellion trilogy, I was super eager to try out this other series of hers and yep I fell in love with this book. I think even just a couple years her writing has improved vastly, but I quite had a blast with this book and it had so many laugh out loud moments. We have two strong protaganists that melted my heart in every
Mogsy (MMOGC)
May 30, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/06/02/...

Sometimes you just need a break with something fun. Earlier this year, I had a great time with Jessie Mihalik’s Polaris Rising, a sci-fi romance featuring fast-paced action and political intrigue with just the right amount of hot, sexy passion. Needless to say, when an opportunity came up to check out the audiobook of The Queen’s Gambit—a novella which began life as a free serialized project on the author’s website but i
Anne - Books of My Heart
This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from Publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I really loved Mihalik's Polaris Rising so I had no hesitation in requesting The Queen's Gambit.  It is shorter but has the same feel I enjoyed in Polaris Rising.  The action is set in space and on planets involved in various disputes.  This novella was an online free serial on the author's site.

Samara leads a planet which tries
Veronique
Sep 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having enjoyed Mihalik’s latest trilogy, I checked what else she’d written and found this, which turned out to be a light and fun read, full of action, and a tiny speck of potential romance.

This novella throws you straight into the middle of it, and doesn’t really relent. The main character reminded me a lot of the first heroine in the Consortium Trilogy, and was probably the base for it. Still, here we have a very capable ‘one-army’ woman on a mission, and it is not for the reasons you may thin
Angela
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read the serial format available online - will do a more full review when I read it again.

All in all, this was a fun sci-fi space romp. I love Samara. And I'm intrigued by Valentin. I can't wait to see where this goes from here! There's definitely some shady stuff going on, and I'm excited to see Samara get in the middle of it.

I especially loved how easy it was to visualize the advanced tech, world, and societies, how the problems and advantages of those advances were thought out, and how it was
Karen  ⚜Mess⚜
MacHalo Buddy Read

Not too bad of a novella. There isn't a solid story line. Seems like Jessie Mihalik jumped right into a story and told just the parts she wanted to write about, which is cool. I mean, it is a novella. A little heavy on the feminist side. I'd go for the next book, but it looks like only Loriidae and I are doing the buddy read.

Blodeuedd Finland
This was a sci.fi novella so things had to happen fast.

Samara is a queen (of course why no one just crushed her world in a day I do not know, it would be so easy). There are those who do not want to fight for the two other empires, and those who just want to escape.

Samara is tough as nails, dubious past, and was elected queen. And now she will save the emperor to get some money out of it, her people need food.

Valentin was, oh I liked him, I am sure he will be a good emperor if he can just get ri
Howard
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 Stars for The Queens Gambit: Rogue Queen Series, Book 1 (audiobook) by Jessie Mihalik read by Rachel Dulude. This was a fun sci-fi story. I like the characters. I think I’ll try the next one in the series.
Christa Schönmann Abbühl
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This came before the Consortium Rebellion, which I read first. There are some similarities in the world building, and I could not help myself comparing the series to each other. The Rogue Queen came out second. It also might be that Mihalik has matured as a writer.
Anyhow, I did enjoy the story, and want to know what happens next. Especially since the romance did not go anywhere yet. Sadly the second book is not available at my ebook library.
MrsJoseph *grouchy*
4 Fun stars!

Cute little novella with a Queen who seems to like getting herself shot and a romance bubbling around the edges.

I'd recommend this for Ilona Andrews fans - with the understanding that this is a bit closer to the Innkeeper Chronicles that Kate Daniels. Which, when I think about it, makes sense. This, too, started (and will continue) as a free online serial that is pulled for later publish as a complete work.
Leticia
This has a romance that doesn't dominate the action part but it's quite cute. An entertaining quick read. ...more
Saly
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this novella. The heroine is a kick-ass & the story continues in the next novella.
Bry
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars? Yeah, 5 stars. Dare I say even a new favorite.

Both the heroine and hero are smart, cunning, strong, kind, and responsible. The world is pretty fleshed out given the fact that this is a novella. The action scenes were on point. The political intrigue was totally believable.

All in all, I am pretty surprised and pretty happy! Granted I take any recommendation from Ilona Andrews pretty seriously, but I was still concerned given this and Polaris Rising are the author's first published work
Lola
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I have heard great things about Jessie Mihalik's books and had her books on my wishlist for a while. I am glad I finally got around to reading one of her books. After seeing a review for the audio version for The Queen's Gambit on a blogger's blog I decided to give this one a try in audio. I am glad I did as my ebook to-read list is much longer and who knows how long it would've taken me to finally pick it up.

The Queen's Gambit follows the story of queen Samara. She's the queen of the rogue coal
Jai
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Downloaded this after reading The Kinsmen Universe by Ilona Andrews and saw the authors had recommended Polaris Rising by Jessie Mihalik for fans of Kinsmen. Well Polaris Rising isn't out yet but this novella is.

Glad I gave it a go, really liked the characters and fast pace in this, and the romance is rather sweet. The Insta-lust from the heroines pov made me worry I was going to read a story where things get physical really fast, but this didn't jump the gun like I feared. Will definitely be p
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review posted on Got Fiction?

After I read the Sci Fi Romance Polaris Rising, I dove right back in and read it again. I wanted more! Not just of that world, but of that author's writing. Luckily Jessie Mihalik has another book out. It's a novella that she serialized on her website, but is now complete. I really like this author's voice and style. I expect great things from her.

It starts out with a wild rescue mission that quickly turns to an escape mission. However the man she rescues is the emp
Linzi Day
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OK I marked up a little but this novella was a FREE weekly serial on the author’s blog and it was a lot of fun. It had solid world-building, is well written, with a lot more of a plot than most novellas and has a kick-ass heroine and some nice secondary characters just for icing on the cake. In my book that’s a solid 4.5.

The novella is still free on the website at the time of this review and will shortly be available to buy on Amazon. Her first published work (Harper Voyager) comes out later thi
Laz the Sailor
Dec 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: smut, scifi
This is a solid story, but lacks anything special. The challenge of being a leader when all you want to do is jump in bed with the other leader is well explored - as is the jumping in bed part. The intrigue is somewhat obvious, but still well executed.
Tandie
Excellent sci-fi space novella. The writing was impressive! Definitely checking out some of this author’s other books. Lots of action with a side of romance.
Tory
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action, sci-fi
A well-planned and well-executed sci-fi romance with a female lead. Don't know about you but these are extremely hard to find.

Samira made a huge difference on her own - dangerous, clever, can make the hard decisions... and still hope and feel and be human. The perfect combination that is hard to mix and get right. Not to generalize (as in, to generalize and draw simple conclusions), female heroines tend to fall in two categories:
the first one acts all tough but eventually falls to the side under
L (Moon)
Feb 17, 2022 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, sci-fi
2.5-3

Neutral territory leader Queen Samara ends up in possession of Valentin Kos, leader of a large, neighbouring empire.

(view spoiler)
Chachic
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Originally posted on bookstagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BtYxDK_ndCa/

I've been curious about Polaris Rising by Jessie Mihalik ever since I saw it recommended over at Ilona Andrews' blog, but it hasn't been released yet and I'm not sure if I want to pre-order it at a 9.99usd price point. So I decided to try The Queen's Gambit instead, since it's already available. My friend Janice enjoyed reading it so I was hoping I would as well.⁣

I found The Queen's Gambit to be an overall fun sci-fi read
Kerry
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely story. I read this to try out the author while waiting for a copy of Polaris Rising from the library (since I object to paying more for an ebook edition that it costs for the paper copy and shipping from the US is ridiculous).

I enjoyed it very much and I'm delighted to see the author is writing a sequel novella as a serial on her website.

I recommend this and I'm sure Polaris Rising is good too, but I'll have to let you know when I've managed to read an affordable copy. (Rant over.)
Nina {ᴡᴏʀᴅs ᴀɴᴅ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ}
I quite liked this one. For someone looking for spacey/space opera scifi fiction at the moment, this fit right in.

PLUS it has a kickass heroine. Granted, I had my moments of eyerolling because of the cliched moments, and a heroine who had some near-mary sue moment(s).

BUT, on the whole it was enjoyable. Perhaps it was the chemistry between Samara and Valentin that I liked.

I suppose I also like the characters. Samara, like I said before is pretty kickass, and Valentin is clever as much as he is
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
This meets all my requirements for a excellent science fiction romance story. You could take the romance out and still have a good story. The world building and backstory are layered throughout the story and do not block the flow of the plot. The plot includes wonderful characters whose development grow as the story unfolds. Both main and side characters have what it takes to keep the story moving. Hard to put down and even better this is book one in the series. Wish I did not have to wait for b ...more
Aybiline Dahlson
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fast, adventurous story about the heroine Queen Samara Rani who cares about her people and risks her live and love to feed them.
The story develops around a universe of empires fighting for territory where Queen Rani tries to keep her people alive.
I loved the thrill of detailed description of the scenes and enjoyed the well-developed characters.
To be recommended.
Aybi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Threshold of Annihilation (The Firebird Chronicles, #3)
  • Age of Deception (The Firebird Chronicles, #2)
  • Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles, #1)
  • Dark Horse (Class 5, #1)
  • Ruby Fever (Hidden Legacy, #6)
  • Fated Blades (Kinsmen, #3)
  • Dark Deeds (Class 5, #2)
  • Pirate Nemesis (Telepathic Space Pirates #1)
  • Dark Minds (Class 5, #3)
  • Dragon-Ridden (Dragon Ridden Chronicles, #1)
  • Nightchaser (Endeavor #1)
  • Only Bad Options (Galactic Bonds, #1)
  • Wayfarer's Keep (The Broken Lands, #3)
  • Pathfinder's Way (The Broken Lands, #1)
  • Mist's Edge (The Broken Lands, #2)
  • The Storm's Whisper (The Broken Lands, #5)
  • Dark Matters (Class 5, #4)
  • The Wind's Call (The Broken Lands, #4)
See top shelves…
Jessie Mihalik has a degree in Computer Science and a love of all things geeky. A software engineer by trade, Jessie now writes full time from her home in Texas. When she’s not writing, she can be found playing co-op video games with her husband, trying out new board games, or reading books pulled from her overflowing bookshelves.

Sample chapters of all of my books are available on my website!

The C

Rogue Queen (3 books)
  • The Queen's Advantage (Rogue Queen, #2)
  • The Queen's Triumph (Rogue Queen, #3)