Start by marking “Stanley and Hazel (Stanley and Hazel, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stanley and Hazel (Stanley and Hazel, #1)

Stanley and Hazel

(Stanley and Hazel #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  42 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A great depression has gripped the city of St. Louis in 1934. Stanley, an orphaned newsy, lives in a poor part of town hit especially hard by the economic downturn. One night, Stanley runs into Hazel, a restless debutante in waiting who has begun to question her posh lifestyle in the midst of the suffering she sees. She’s out and about without an escort and against her fat ...more
Trade Paperback, 280 pages
Published May 15th 2018 by Month9Books

To ask other readers questions about Stanley and Hazel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stanley and Hazel

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Stanley and Hazel (Stanley and Hazel, #1)
Megan (BookWifeReviews)
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was adorable. The story was set in the time of the great depression and there just aren't a whole lot of books from that time period. Especially YA mystery type books. So I was super excited for the chance to read this one. I love reading historical books. Hazel was fantastic. She felt like she would be my best friend. She was so down to earth and relatable. She was struggling with things I think all teenage girls go through. Stanley was also fantastic! I love them together.

This was a
Bon
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think the ratings on some of this stuff is rigged. That, or maybe this was meant for... younger or less-informed audiences? Bad for a period piece, that's for sure. DNF at 21%. Meh.
Stephanie
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
St. Louis, 1934- the Great Depression has created a rift, sending most people into a spiral of poverty and accentuating the few rich families of Lindell Boulevard. The upcoming famed Veiled Prophet Ball is supposed to be a celebration for everyone in the city, but has morphed into a debutante ball where the mysterious prophet chooses his Queen of Love and Beauty. Hazel Malloy is one of the future debutantes of Lindell Boulevard. Her best friend Sandra's sister was queen last year. Hazel would mu ...more
Laura  Hernandez (TheVoluptuousBkDiva/YABkDivas)
This is not a typical read for me but once I read the synopsis I became intrigued and knew I had to read it. This fantastic read takes place in STL, MO during the depression and the worldbuilding and characters quickly sweep you off your feet and transports you to that era. The story shifts between Stanley and Hazel and we get a taste of what it was like for the rich and poor of that time. From the minute you pick up the book you can just see that the author has a creative writing style and I re ...more
Scarlett
Apr 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I found this book by chance from the library with a recommendation. It was decent. I will admit I did not have the ending figured out, although I did not find every part to be plausible.
Stanley is a newsie and Hazel was born with a silver spoon. They couldn't be more different, but a chance run in ends with them finding the body of a dead girl, the sister of a friend of Hazels. Together they are determined to catch the killer, especially when they see a police officer hiding evidence.
The setting
Linda Romer
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviews
I loved Stanley and Hazel! A YA mystery set in the 1930's. Great characters, loved the lingo and the story. It reminded me of the old Bowery Boys movies and T.V. shows. Stanley is a newsie and has a lot of gumption. Hazel a rich girl from the other side of town. These two get together to solve a brutal crime they witnessed. I also enjoyed Stanley's gang and his compassion to help the less fortunate. I'm looking forward to read the next book The Winnowing.

I give Stanley and Hazel 5 stars for its
Tracy
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a read!

This is a great historical fiction book. A little history, a budding romance, interesting characters, all from a dark time in U.S. history. Still trapped in the economic downturn of the depression and too many of the “haves” taking a page from Hitler’s playbook to begin exploring eugenics. Thank heaven,as the scrappy Americans we are, the “have nots” of that time never gave up.

I’m looking forward to the sequel, hoping Hazel and Stanley find a way to stop the Veiled Prophet. And yes,
Hannah Michaels
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
So fun! This era is definitely one of the more fun ones to read about. The author was super consistent in the language, making sure it sounded authentic. The characters had witty banter and enjoyable interactions. Hazel is a girl you would follow into the apocalypse. There were a couple things throughout that I was confused about and why they were included, because they felt like big pieces but didn't end up coming through in the end of the book, but overall this book was really awesome and you ...more
Jen Bojkov
Cute historical mystery set in the 1930s during the depression. Kind of a Romeo and Juliet thing going with the MCs. Hazel is a swell and Stanley is a newsboy. They are thrown together to solve a mystery after discovering the body of a murdered woman in a park. Give this to teens who like The Diviners series or the Stoker & Holmes series. ...more
Christine
Jun 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! I felt like the characters were so unique and perfect for the era. The witty dialogue between the two main characters was also refreshing compared. The story was full of suspense and mystery. I only wish the second book would come out faster so I can continue the story.
Linda
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a very interesting book based on true history. It took me a little while to get into it, but when I did I couldn't put it down.
BarbaraH
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!! A story from back during the depression and the tales of those who have and Those who are poor. This story will keep you reading and I am hoping there will be more to this tale.
Shion Cook
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great Storyline and plot twists. The character development is amazing and it leaves you needing more.
A
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is so incredibly well- researched and written. It is also so much fun to read! Why aren't more people reading this author!!!!
Vanessa Lafleur
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Stanley and Hazel is a compelling story with great characters and dialogue.
Ali Clare
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 3 12 Feb 09, 2018 01:35PM
Goodreads Librari...: New Release 3 20 Jan 18, 2018 09:21AM

• Funny, You Don't Look Autistic: A Comedian's Guide to Life on the Spectrum
  • Outmatched
  • No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1)
  • The Lovely and the Lost
  • The Storm Keeper's Island (Storm Keeper, #1)
  • Trophy Life
  • Tweet Cute
  • The Secret History of Wonder Woman
  • You Are So Undead to Me (Megan Berry, #1)
  • One-Pan Wonders: Fuss-Free Meals for Your Sheet Pan, Dutch Oven, Skillet, Roasting Pan, Casserole, and Slow Cooker
  • Dear Sweet Pea
  • Simple Jess (Marrying Stone, #2)
  • Slaying Monsters for the Feeble (The Guild Codex: Demonized, #2)
  • Princess in the Spotlight (The Princess Diaries, #2)
  • Overdiagnosed: Making People Sick in the Pursuit of Health
  • Three Moments of an Explosion
  • Highland Blood (Celtic Blood #2)
  • Highland Queen (Celtic Blood #4)
Jo Schaffer was born and raised in the California Bay Area in a huge, creative family. She is a YA novelist, speaker, writer at BYU TV, works in film production and is a Taekwondo black belt.

She's a founding member of Writers Cubed and co-founder of the Teen Author Boot Camp, one of the largest conferences in the nation for youth ages 13-19. She and a crew of local and international bestselling au

Stanley and Hazel (2 books)
  • The Winnowing (Stanley & Hazel, #2)