Start by marking “Jagger Jones and the Mummy's Ankh” as Want to Read:
Jagger Jones and the Mummy's Ankh

Jagger Jones and the Mummy's Ankh

(Jagger Jones #1)

Jagger Jones is a whiz kid from Chicago's South Side. Ask him anything about Ancient Egypt, and Jagger can fill hours describing all that he knows. But when he and his precocious little sister Aria fall more than three thousand years back in time to the court of Amarna, Egypt, Jagger discovers a truth that rocks his world: books don’t teach you everything there is to know. ...more
Published May 28th 2019 by Month9Books

To ask other readers questions about Jagger Jones and the Mummy's Ankh, please sign up.
Malayna Evans It was actually my son's idea. When he was nine, he asked me what ancient Egyptians looked like. When I told him he'd fit in, he said someone should…moreIt was actually my son's idea. When he was nine, he asked me what ancient Egyptians looked like. When I told him he'd fit in, he said someone should write a book about a kid like him in ancient Egypt. Since I'd studied the subject for a million years (yeah, i'm old like that), I decided I should be that someone. Ironically, I think my interest sort of started in middle grade ... with books. I was a huge Sci Fi fan and loved the idea of goddesses, which eventually led me to Greek and Roman history, then, Mesopotamian, and finally my true love, Egypt. (less)

Start your review of Jagger Jones and the Mummy's Ankh
Darlene
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This time travel tale is a wonderful blend of modern day siblings who get transported back to ancient Egypt. It's not easy figuring the "ins and outs" of getting along with the often temperamental Gods of ancient Egypt. Readers will enjoy the manners of the Pharaoh's court as the hero, Jagger Jones, tries to blend in, looking for who to trust and who is out to get him. The details about Egyptian culture are fascinating and add authentic drama to the story.
Naomi Milliner
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This debut mg Novel is a fun, exciting and tremendously well-researched ride. The brother-sister dynamic is believable and enjoyable; the world of ancient Egypt is beautifully rendered in vivid detail; and there is the perfect blend of humor and adventure. Already looking forward to the sequel. This would make an especially good read for the classroom.
Thelizyouknow
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to LibraryThing for the complimentary advance review copy of Jagger Jones and the Mummy's Ankh.

Jagger is a thirteen year old genius from Chicago's South Side. He and his younger sister Aria accompany their mother, a travel writer, on journeys all over the world. This time it's Egypt, and when the time magic kicks in and their mom stays behind, the real adventure begins.

This delightful book targets junior high age readers, but it's a treat for all ages. Aria's mangl
Kristin Thorsness
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whiz kid Jagger Jones thinks he knows pretty much everything about ancient Egyptian life, but when he and his snarky little sister, Aria, fall through time and actually walk the ancient streets, he learns that books don’t tell you everything—ancient Egypt was filled with backstabbing, mystery, and REAL MAGIC.

This story grabbed me from the start. The brother-sister relationship between Jagger and Aria is a perfect blend of loving and adversarial, and the rich descriptions of ancient E
Rosaria Munda
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Move over Indiana Jones! JAGGER JONES AND THE MUMMY'S ANKH lands Chicago siblings in Ancient Egypt to solve magical mysteries with the help of an iPhone and modern science and debate important Chicago questions like where to get the best deep dish. The big charm of the book for me was Jagger, whose reluctant heroism, love for his snarky little sister, and hint of angst about his broken home grounded the story. I was charmed.
Lisa Schmid
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novel19s
Jagger Jones and The Mummy's Ankh is a time-traveling tale that takes the reader on a magical ride. I especially loved the relationship between Jagger and his snarky little sister, Aria. There are plenty of laugh out loud moments along with page-turning excitement. Every middle-grade reader with a thirst for adventure needs this book!
bookseverlasting
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
If you're a fan of John Grisham's Theodore Boone series, Jagger Jones & The Mummy's Ankh by Malayna Evans is the book for you! Just released yesterday, May 28, 2019, and published by Tantrum Books for Month9Books, this Middle Grade novel is centered around a pair of biracial siblings from Chicago's South Side who time-travel to Ancient Egypt. If you like watching Indiana Jones movies or enjoy Social Studies a little more than the other kids in your class, it's time to order this book.
Charles
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
NOTE: I received an advance eBook copy in exchange for my honest review.

This work marks the author's first foray into storytelling, and while a couple of areas could be cleaned up, IMO, overall the story is tight and cohesive and was a quite enjoyable read for myself and my 10-year-old son.

13-year-old Jagger and his 11-year-old little sister, Aria, are in Egypt along with their mother, a travel-writer. After a series of somewhat bizarre occurrences, young Jagger begins he
Pippa Chorley
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jagger Jones, is a fantastic first book in what I am sure is set to be a great middle grade series – at least I hope it does. Being an actual Egyptologist, Malayna Evans does a wonderful job of slipping in juicy ancient facts all the while keeping the book modern, fun and youthful. There is the perfect blend of humour, facts and adventure here and my middle son (aged 7) absolutely devoured this book!
Kimberly Gabriel
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this fast-paced adventure fantasy story about Jagger Jones, a boy genius, who frequently travels with his sister and their mom on her travel-writing expeditions. On their trip to Egypt, Jagger finds himself and his sister 3000 years back in time in Ancient Egypt where they must save a royal family and solve a slew of puzzles to make it home safely. I loved Jagger's smarts paired with his little sister's snark. Evans's world building is vivid and immersive, and I also learned a th ...more
June Smalls
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jagger and his sister Aria are sucked from the present day to ancient Egypt. Jagger, full of brains, some trust issues, and the occasional analysis paralysis is balanced well with his adventurous and creative sister, and her bag of tricks. Together they travel across Egypt in order to save the royal family and their own bloodline. Action pulls you from the very first chapter. Full of facts, drama, magic, and a great sibling relationship, this is a must read!
Shauna Holyoak
May 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An adventurous tale set in Egypt with lots of interesting historical details. I loved the sibling relationship between Jagger and Aria--such fun and believable characters. Middle-graders will love this engaging story that is sure to keep them on the edge of their seats!
Niki
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun read for adventurers, history buffs and lovers of the magical!
Karla
Aug 30, 2019 added it
This time travel adventure set in ancient Egypt was written by an actual Egyptologist, and it shows! The historic details feel specific and authentic without slowing down the action one wit. Hand this book to graduates of THE MAGIC TREEHOUSE series and kids who like a little mystery mixed in with their history lessons.
Reading in the Middle Grades (Stacey DeCotis)
I was lucky enough to receive an ARC from the publisher. This is my honest review.

This new middle grade adventure was fun to read! Brother and sister Jagger, 13, and Aria Jones, 11, are from Chicago’s south side. Their mom takes them to Amarna, Egypt where pharaohs once ruled and Ancient Egypt history that was alive Jagger is fascinated with. Jagger hears a mysterious voice calling his name. He follows the voice, his sister follows him, and suddenly they are transported back in time over 3,000
June Jacobs
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Combine a multi-dimensional main character, time travel, adventure, Egyptology, and some snappy dialogue and you have this appealing, action-packed story.

Follow 13-year-old Jagger Jones and his 11-year old sister, Aria, on their adventures in ancient Egypt. With strong character development and unique settings, this fast-paced story will appeal to upper-middle-grade and tween readers who enjoy a mix of current lingo and historical surroundings.

The cover art and the illust
Jess Redman
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fast-paced, fun, and fully researched story! Written by an actual Egyptologist, JAGGER JONES takes readers from present-day Chicago to present-day Egypt and then—to ancient Egypt. I loved the dynamic between Jagger and his little sister Aria, the fascinating insights on ancient Egyptian culture and court, and the puns.

This is a wonderful read for kids who can't get enough of mythology/ancient culture adventure stories. It would also, of course, pair perfectly with a unit on ancient Egypt! Hig
Jarm Boccio
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fast-paced story that dives deep into the ancient Egyptian culture and religion, blending with time-travel and lively MCs. Although at times, I had difficulty following the many historical Egyptian characters and details of the period, it’s obvious the author knows her ancient history. My favorite part were her very clever chapter titles which made me smile. If you like adventure and all that is ancient Egypt, you will become absorbed in Jagger Jones’ story!
Amy Potts Ostrowski
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The action starts on page one, and doesn't let up until the very end! Readers will feel like they are in ancient Egypt with Jagger and his little sister, Aria, facing magic, mystery, and mayhem in just the right doses. This is a great read to add to any classroom shelf that will take kids to a time, place, and culture full of intrigue and excitement.
Connie Dow
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Jagger Jones is a fun, energetic story right from the start. We go back in time to ancient Egypt to meet famous princesses, learn about the culture, the religion, the magic and so much more. Jagger Jones and his sister have an amazing adventure in the past, and Malayna Evans brings it all to life for us in her well-written story. Can’t wait for more!
Matthew Archibald
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable debut novel. It was full of ancient Egyptian historical and cultural references, wonderful action and suspense, and a realistically beautiful relationship between a brother and a sister. I recommend this book to anyone who likes stories about Egypt, magic, or action.
Eden
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book !!!! Amazing from the beginning to the end !!!!
Wulf Krueger
Mar 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
“KA-TASTROPHY” Or “The story erupted from his mouth like vomit.”

I got this book for free as a win from LibraryThing’s Early Reviewers program. Thanks!

There are books I’d love to just completely forget about, e. g. Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter so that I could read them again for the first time. Others, I simply want to forget. This book is one of the latter.

Reading “Jagger Jones and the Mummy's Ankh” does indeed feel like the story erupted from [the author’s] mouth like vomit. Seriously, as an a
Erin Britton
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although he’s a total nerd when it comes to all things Ancient Egypt, Jagger Jones is less than thrilled about taking a trip to Amarna with his mom and little sister, Aria. His mom’s job as a travel writer means that Jagger and Aria are homeschooled, often from exotic locations around the globe, but Jagger would rather stay in Chicago and go to regular school with his best friend. On their first night in Amarna, Jagger is awakened by a mysterious voice calling his name. He follows the voice (and ...more
Susan
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Malayna Evans has written an intriguing action adventure starring a pair of worldly siblings, whose knowledge of science and history—and clear-headed wisdom—save the day. It’s just that the day they “save” happens to be 3,000 years ago! Jagger and Aria Jones have very different views of their mother’s globe-trotting career. Aria is always up for new experiences while Jagger prefers armchair travel, reading books from the comfort of his room. But when Mom’s job lands them in Jagger’s favorite his ...more
Lisa Kalma
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jagger Jones ad the Mummy's Ankh is a wonderful time-travelling story of Jagger and his snarky sister Aria, who he loves dearly. Besides the twists and turns and REAL magic of ancient Egypt, their relationship was one of my favourite parts of this book.

This story would make an excellent addition to a middle-grade classroom library for either independent reading or as a read-aloud. The story is highly entertaining and engaging! I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series! ...more
Tina Shepardson
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a terrific, high interest, action packed time travel story about siblings of today's time being transported to ancient Egypt. How will these siblings figure out the ways of ancient Egypt and how to get along with the Gods? A great read for middle school age kids!
Jennieke Cohen

• From A to Z with Energy!: 26 Ways to Move and Play
  • Odd Animal ABC's
  • I Campaigned for Ice Cream: A Boy's Quest for Ice Cream Trucks
  • Boomer At Your Service
  • RES-Q Tyler Stop (Tyler Stop, #1)
  • Who Will? Will You?
  • Bird Count
  • My Llama Drama
  • Counting Sheep
  • The Heart Changer
  • Scars Like Wings
  • All of Me
  • Emmy in the Key of Code
  • Spectacle (Spectacle, #1)
  • Caterpillar Summer
  • A Monster Like Me
I'm a writer, Egyptologist, mom (2 kids, 1 rescue dog), friend, avid reader and dedicated coffee drinker.

I'm excited to introduce Jagger Jones and his little sister, Aria, to the world in April of 2019 with my debut novel: Jagger Jones and the Mummy's Ankh. A little spoiler for you: ancient Egypt is nothing like Jagger expected. Sure, he knew ancient Egyptians believed in magic, but real magic? A
“The story erupted from his mouth like vomit.” 0 likes