Start by marking “Five Midnights” as Want to Read:
Five Midnights

Five Midnights

Five friends cursed. Five deadly fates. Five nights of retribución.

If Lupe Dávila and Javier Utierre can survive each other’s company, together they can solve a series of grisly murders sweeping though Puerto Rico. But the clues lead them out of the real world and into the realm of myths and legends. And if they want to catch the killer, they'll have to step into the
Published June 4th 2019 by Tor Teen

Start your review of Five Midnights
Tammie
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-dark
Five Midnights, a YA horror book, was a solid 4 stars. The book centers around main character Lupe, a teenager from Vermont that travels to Puerto Rico to visit family-including her police chief uncle. Lupe arrives just as her uncle is called to a grisly murder scene-the first of many to occur. Lupe and her new friend Javier, set out to find out who or what is causing these murders.
Five Midnights was an enjoyable read and I liked the supernatural/ urban legend elements that were included in
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I was pretty impressed with this novel! I thought that this book sounded interesting when I saw it on a blog a few months ago so I was really excited when I got my hands on an early copy. Once I started reading, I knew that I was in for a treat because I was hooked right away. I thought that this book was a really entertained read.

I am ashamed to say that I haven't read too many books set in Puerto Rico so I really liked the fact
Kelsea
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Out TODAY from Tor Teen!

The blurb for Five Midnights caught my attention immediately. YA horror set in Puerto Rico? Myths and legends coming to life? Hells yeah!

What I was expecting: this will be really cool and different and probably diverse, since it’s a Tor Teen title.

What I was NOT expecting: a story this rich, powerful, and full of depth! Darkly beautiful descriptions. A thought-provoking story packed full of themes, written in a way that’s smart but not didactic. A setting that leaps from
Katie Gallagher
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Read this review and others on my blog!

Thank you to NetGalley and Tor Teen for sending me a free advanced reader copy of this book for an honest review. Five Midnights debuts June 4th.

NetGalley’s a funny thing—most of the time all you have to judge a book by is the author name, the publisher, the cover, and a bit of doctored up marketing copy.*** It makes me judgey to the extreme—if I’m accepted to read the book, I’m kind of stuck with it, after all, since I want to keep my NetGalley ratio up.
Svenka
Jan 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
"A twist on a Caribbean boogeyman myth set in contemporary Puerto Rico..."

Say no more.
Tucker
Jun 29, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Shelves: reviewed
but.. why does that thing on the cover look like a fish...

[image error]
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
Diverse horror? Yes please!

As someone constantly seeking out diverse stories in the horror genre, I was ecstatic to learn about Five Midnights. Written by a Puerto Rican female author, this is an excellent example of #ownvoices fiction. Through the narrative, I learned so much about a country that I previously knew little about. I felt immersed in the culture as the author sprinkled cultural elements of, language and religion throughout the pages. I especially loved the inclusion of the
Jenny
Aug 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Dropped at 35 pages.

Wow, I just keep striking out on YA books lately, all thanks to the FUCKING OBNOXIOUS CHARACTERS. Lupe, HOLY FUCK, Lupe is INSUFFERABLE. She's sixteen years old but thinks she can act like a twenty-something because "she's traveling to Puerto Rico alone". Yes, she traveled there alone, but she's not STAYING by herself. And traveling somewhere by yourself doesn't make you an adult, it just makes the grown-ups in her life irresponsible. That last bit is hilarious because Lupe
Wilmarie
Jul 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Five Midnights by Ann Dávila Cardinal was so disappointing it hurts. When we finally have a book with Puerto Rican main characters, by a Puerto Rican author, set in Puerto Rico it turns out to be, well, not good. The more I think about it, the more I hate this book.

Independentista aren’t hate-filled people that can’t stand gringos.
Yes, many independentista blame gringos for the gentrification that’s going on but I studied in a university where most people were independentista and I can tell you
Jessica {Litnoob}
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This books was one hell of a journey and I wanna y’all about all I liked and the couple things I disliked about it. The dislike list is small so I’ll start there.

1. Their biggest stars stage name was Papi Gringo, what in the colorism is that?
2. Lupe confuses feminism with being rude because she doesn’t like taking help from people. Instead of being able to say thank you she barks “I can do it, feminism” which is counter to feminism entirely. (Nobody called her on it in the text and it bothered
Alicia (A Kernel of Nonsense)
**Disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book through NetGalley which does not influence my review.**

What I Liked:

The concept – I love the concept for this one. Cultural myths coming to life in a modern setting and two teens desperate to solve the mystery with a body count that continues to grow.

Javier – I love reading about a teen character who didn’t always make the best decisions, but who is doing their best. Javi has been clean for two years, but he still struggled with his drug addiction on
Sandra
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Check out my full video review: https://youtu.be/SGgtTo6vVyE

Five Midnights is a horror novel set on Puerto Rico, where in a group of five childhood friends, some of them has started getting killed. We follow Javier (one of the five friends) and Lupe, who travels to Puerto Rico every summer to visit her uncle and aunt. They team up trying to figure out what that is happening.

While this is pitched as a horror novel, not once in the book did I feel scared or creeped out. The plot was too
Jen (Book Den)
The premise of Five Midnights is set around the legend of El Cuco. Going into Five Midnights I expected it to be heavier on the horror elements. I think this book will appeal most to those who enjoy mystery/thrillers with a supernatural element.

I’m new to the legend of El Cuco, but I enjoyed what Ann Dávila Cardinal did with the legend. I got a real sense that she made it her own.

I loved the Puerto Rico setting and the way Cardinal wove in the culture and a lot of (very accessible) Spanish
Christy
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This would have been a 5 star read for me except for the language around substance use disorders. In a time when we are working to destigmatize the work, it's important we use people centered language and also avoid inappropriate labels (like "clean").
Veronica
Aug 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I was intrigued by this YA horror novel because it seemed original and unusual to me. Let's just say I was not disappointed. The novel takes place in Puerto Rico and was written by a Puerto Rican female author.
Five friends are being killed one by one and it is up to Javier Utierre who is one of the five, and Lupe Dávila who is the niece of the police chief investigating the murders to work together to solve the murders before Javier becomes one of the victims.
Ann Davila Cardinal utilizes the
Miciah Bay
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put it down! It's fast, fun, scary, with some achingly lovely scenes, too.
Emily
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
"But he'd better andar con cuidado, be careful, or he'll come for him, too. He'll come for retribuciòn."

3.5

Five Midnights is Ann Davila Cardinal's debut YA novel, and I enjoyed reading it! This book is Cardinal's take on the legend of El Cuco (as he is known in Puerto Rico - since Texas is closer to Mexico, I've heard of him as El Cucuy, and learned that the name has differences in different areas).

I was intrigued by Lupe and Marisol, and the path of their relationship. I wish more time would
Lisa Mandina
Right off the bat I got the total vibes of some of the horror movies I've seen in the theaters lately. And I could totally see this one at the theaters some day. This book was so much of exactly how I think some teenagers feel about adults and older people. For instance one part where the main character thought someone over the age of 30 was ancient. But the characters were very neat, I loved the atmosphere of Puerto Rico, and it definitely had a lot of misdirection to keep me on the edge of my ...more
Steph
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Favorite image from the novel is a ring of mothers joined in prayer, with the belief that their love can save a son. If this is the only reason to read the book, (and it’s not), do read the gorgeous image of love. Monsters can be conquered. Transformation for the better can happen, and divides can be bridged.
Veronika
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book made me SO HAPPY. it's so rare to find a book so centered around puerto rico and one that i felt so connected to. i loved reading this because it felt so familiar and i saw myself in it so perfectly. i love all latinx media but boricua rep is so rare and i'm just sooo happy ajajajajjasj. and i genuinely did enjoy the book. i love thrillers and i love cryptids so much.
Mel
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars story
5 stars audio

Never have I ever listened so much to an audio book and finished one in two days.

A mix of myth, thriller, and coming of age, all set in Puerto Rico. Seriously, this was amazing.
Steph Hayward-bailey
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant murder mystery with a supernatural vibe. I was hooked from the 1st chapter and I loved the different narrators throughout. I struggled slightly with some of the language references but thoughly enjoyed it.
Wade Badda
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story that everyone should read.
Linda Naquin
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
***I received this book as a digital ARC from NetGalley***

YA Puerto Rican horror novel about El Cuco???

SOLD.

My students are obsessed with the hispanic legends I tell them about, but especially El Cucuy. Sure, La Llorona is great, and everyone knows about the Chupacabra, but when they learn about Cucuy, they're like, whoa, THAT is freaky.

So was this book.

This was a fantastic mix of Puerto Rican culture and don't-read-at-night horror. Once things really got started, I could not put this book down.
Sara (A Gingerly Review)
I'm so disappointed by what I read. This had potential but didn't live up to it.

FRTC.
time ferrell
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ok story. I don't like endings that wrap up in the last five pages.....
Emma Ferrier
I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from this book. I had hoped for gritty mystery but instead got a mediocre mystery that was more paranormal/horror and easy to solve. The story overall had good characters, and I kept waiting for a shocking twist but alas this went exactly where I thought it was going and it let me down.

I will certainly pick up other books from this author, however, as this was a debut and the writing itself was really good and enjoyable with great characters and awesome
Siân Plummer (plumreads__s)
This review was first published here: https://www.scifiandscary.com/five-mi...

Five Midnights is a novel about addiction, acceptance and the shadows that follow us.

This novel primarily follows Lupe, a half Puerto-Rican, half Northern American who is staying with her Uncle (Tio) and Aunt (Tia) for the Summer. Lupe, who inherited more of her mother's NA genes than her father's PR genes, spends a lot of the novel in heightened emotion, trying to fit in, she takes a lot of crap for not having the
Jessica
Oct 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-4.5**
As someone who grew up hearing about the legend of the cucuy (or cuco)or “if you don’t behave, the cucuy is going to get you.” I was absolutely intrigued to read a book where boys who misbehaved were being brutally killed.

Again, I grew up listening to these urban legends and as I grew older,I found myself believing these stories less and less- but there was always the thought of “what if”. Somehow, the description of the cucuy was exactly as I imagined as a child and that made it all the
Amy
This was solidly mediocre. When I read the plot, I thought this book had a lot of potential--I'm not really one for monster stories in general, but I liked the idea of a murder mystery based around an urban legend and decided to give it a shot. Even taking into account that this is not my usual cup of tea, I think this book falls sort of flat.

I think the major flaws for me were:
-Everything was incredibly predictable the whole way through. Like, by chapter 3 I could have told you how this entire
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Last Kids on Earth and the Midnight Blade
  • Pet
  • Here There Are Monsters
  • Mike
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • The Haunted (The Haunted, #1)
  • Wilder Girls
  • The Resolutions
  • The Truth Is
  • Chilling Effect (Chilling Effect, #1)
  • The Fire Keeper (The Storm Runner #2)
Ann is a novelist and Director of Recruitment for Vermont College of Fine Arts (VCFA). She has a B.A. in Latino Studies from Norwich University, an M.A. in sociology from UI&U and an MFA in Writing from VCFA. She also helped create VCFA’s winter Writing residency in Puerto Rico.

Ann’s first novel, Sister Chicas was released from New American Library in 2006. Her next novel, a horror YA work